PDA

View Full Version : What football screw-ups bother you the most?

lexsooner
1/31/2010, 09:04 PM
Receivers who drop passes? Players who fumble? QBs who can't throw accurately? Kickers who miss? Defenders who can't tackle worth a crap? Special team players who can never down the ball deep without tumbling into the endzone and causing a touchback? Special teamers who block in the back when it is obvious they can no longer touch a defender?

I think the latter two bother me the most because they fall into the category of "stupid" and not thinking. I still think of the Blake years and our punt coverage teams which loved to almost down a ball near the goal line but ended up with a touch back when an over zealous player came flying into the play and knocking the ball into the end zone. At least the other flub-ups are more a matter of bad execution and/or caused by opponents.

Frozen Sooner
1/31/2010, 09:06 PM
Centers who know the snap count, yet manage to false start.

sooner518
1/31/2010, 09:48 PM
blocks in the back on punt returns, especially when youre guy is the first gunner down the field. its the most obvious call in football for an official to make.

Collier11
1/31/2010, 09:49 PM
A hold halfway across the field that has no baring on the play, that and dropped passes

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/31/2010, 09:50 PM
Kick off returners who decide at the last second to attempt to pick up the ball and run and end up fumbling it.

A close second is offsides on a kick off. Seriously?

Curly Bill
1/31/2010, 10:10 PM
False starts by anyone on the offense, you know what the snap count is on dumas, don't jump.

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 10:16 PM
"Should I return the kickoff, or not? Yes, I think I will... no, I'd better not. Well, okay I'm going to do it. Uh-oh, I can't even get out to the five-yard line."

Collier11
1/31/2010, 10:17 PM
Id say the biggest football screw up that I hate is when Leroy attempts to talk football :D

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 10:23 PM
You love my football talk and you know it.

I think your problem is self-hate.

Collier11
1/31/2010, 10:28 PM
Heh

kbsooner
1/31/2010, 10:52 PM
Fielding a kickoff when its obviously heading out of bounds.

BoulderSooner79
1/31/2010, 10:54 PM
A DB dropping a sure pick-6 that hits him in the numbers.

SoCal
1/31/2010, 11:00 PM
I turned off the Pro Bowl because the "Defenders who can't tackle worth a crap". Nobody wraps up anymore...it just sucks and each year it gets worse at every level.

TXBOOMER
1/31/2010, 11:02 PM
When players and coaches mismanage the clock toward the end of the half or end of the game.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
1/31/2010, 11:04 PM
Totally avoidable personal foul calls that result from pure stupidity or lack of self-discipline.

ETA: 15-yarders at that.

sooner59
1/31/2010, 11:28 PM
Either blocks in the back or holding behind a play when the player scores a TD. Just completely unnecessary and hurts the team and takes away a TON of highlight reel plays.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 12:57 AM
Either blocks in the back or holding behind a play when the player scores a TD. Just completely unnecessary and hurts the team and takes away a TON of highlight reel plays.

Well, not ALL highlight reel plays. There is a certain highlight from 1971 that is played over and over again.

WA. Sooner
2/1/2010, 02:12 AM
False starts!

WA. Sooner
2/1/2010, 02:13 AM
Not being able to get the play called and having to use a time out

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 02:15 AM
Not blocking Roy Williams on a blitz!

Oh, sorry. That should have been filed under "Horn fans most hated screw-ups."

LawtonBoy74
2/1/2010, 02:25 AM
I agree with all of those but my NUMBER 1 is players who dont give maxium effort..All the others are just mental mistakes but this one is just unacceptable!!

sooner59
2/1/2010, 02:58 AM
LL, although I don't care for your new profile pic, it is still a lot better than the old one. Props I guess.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 03:17 AM
She's the hottest woman who evar lived. Evar!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/1/2010, 03:45 AM
When the refs rule an onside kick belongs to a team that didn't even recover the ball ;)

SoonerLB
2/1/2010, 03:54 AM
Leroy's avatar is SOOOOO hawt!!

oudavid1
2/1/2010, 03:59 AM
Not blocking Roy Williams on a blitz!

Oh, sorry. That should have been filed under "Horn fans most hated screw-ups."

You cant block superRoy

soonermix
2/1/2010, 04:30 AM
the thing that pisses me off the most is repeat offenders.
one offsides or dropped pass oh well that happens to even the best of them but to do it multiple times should result in a severe *** kicking

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/1/2010, 04:39 AM
Way to go Soonermix, expect Craig James to post about possible litigation for that post

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 05:36 AM
But he only said about a possible litigation. He never said that there would be litigation for certain. So, maybe he never said anything about litigation at all.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 05:37 AM
Leroy's avatar is SOOOOO hawt!!

Almost had a chance to meet her in person.

Oh man, I don't need to be thinking about her now. But if you don't see any of my posts for about a half hour, you'll know why.

Heh.

MeMyself&Me
2/1/2010, 08:09 AM
I turned off the Pro Bowl because the "Defenders who can't tackle worth a crap". Nobody wraps up anymore...it just sucks and each year it gets worse at every level.

This.

The blocks in the back on special teams is a very close second. WHY DO THEY DO THAT? I think it happens at least 2 to 3 times in a game.

lexsooner
2/1/2010, 08:50 AM
I should also add some screw-ups by refs which bother me: refs who are too quick to call interference or face mask. A receiver could trip over his own feet and the home crowd screams and out comes the flags against the defender. Or a tackler's hand could brush or touch the face mask without grabbing and pulling, and out come the flags, as if there is something sacred about the face mask.

lexsooner
2/1/2010, 09:04 AM
This.

The blocks in the back on special teams is a very close second. WHY DO THEY DO THAT? I think it happens at least 2 to 3 times in a game.

I find that the "can't tackle worth a crap" differs significantly between the college and NFL levels. The lousy tacklers get weeded out after college. When NFL defenders stick somebody, the ball carrier usually goes down clean.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/1/2010, 09:25 AM
when my wife or children stand between me and the television during a game

MeMyself&Me
2/1/2010, 09:32 AM
I find that the "can't tackle worth a crap" differs significantly between the college and NFL levels. The lousy tacklers get weeded out after college. When NFL defenders stick somebody, the ball carrier usually goes down clean.

I can't agree with you here at all except that WHEN an NFL defender sticks someone, the ball carrier goes down. However, I usually just see them hit without rapping up. I'd say it's worse in the NFL than in college but maybe it's just the games tune into. I watch way more college than NFL.

Regarding ref screwups. I can't stand bad calls and with todays instant replay, a bad call should be a rarity. However, it seems to have gotten worse since instant replay. Bad officiating is so common and so bad now that it almost ruins football for me.

BoulderSooner79
2/1/2010, 09:47 AM
There are a lot of good tacklers in the NFL - especially in the Pro Bowl. They just chose not too play tough D in this game and I can't blame them. It's a long, brutal schedule and many of the players also were just eliminated from the playoffs. This is the way the NHL all-star game is done; nobody checks and the fans get treated to a 12-10 skills competition instead of the normal 2-1 hit fest. Granted the NHL all-star game is played mid-season, but it's still asking a lot to get an all-star player in a contact sport to risk his career in an all-star game.

KantoSooner
2/1/2010, 11:40 AM
Guys who throw the second punch or shove.....and the refs who don't flag the guy who threw the first one.

JLEW1818
2/1/2010, 01:00 PM
You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts...and then you will run a mile. Perfection. Let's get to work.

Oldnslo
2/1/2010, 01:01 PM
There are a lot of good tacklers in the NFL - especially in the Pro Bowl. They just chose not too play tough D in this game and I can't blame them. It's a long, brutal schedule and many of the players also were just eliminated from the playoffs. This is the way the NHL all-star game is done; nobody checks and the fans get treated to a 12-10 skills competition instead of the normal 2-1 hit fest. Granted the NHL all-star game is played mid-season, but it's still asking a lot to get an all-star player in a contact sport to risk his career in an all-star game.

See, Ray Fosse.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/1/2010, 01:07 PM
offense - receivers who take the play off when they aren't the #1 option
defense - allowing yourself to be blocked without a fight

Dio
2/1/2010, 01:27 PM
This is more of a coaching screw-up: Handing the ball off 5 yards deep on 3rd- or 4th- and 1. I think I've seen this work exactly once.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 01:33 PM
But... but... no in is expecting it. You gotta' keep the defense guessing. Can't be too predictable!

JiuJitsuSooner
2/1/2010, 01:45 PM
When a S&C coach jumps into an opposing players face, screaming and yelling, after they go out of bounds

OUmillenium
2/1/2010, 02:31 PM
When we try to field punt/kickoff on the 2 and fumble it to the other team - 2004

When we try to field a Colorado punt right in our lap and muff it - 2007

When we let a kickoff returner go straight up the middle for a touchdown - * 2008

When a pass hits our receiver in the facemask on the goal line - * 2009

When a db intercepts and lets the qb tackle him - * 2009

When we throw an int while trying to throw the ball away out of bounds - * 2009

tbl
2/1/2010, 02:39 PM
Red zone trip = no points

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 02:48 PM
When our players forget the rules to Twister. (John Blake years)

OUTrumpet
2/1/2010, 04:03 PM
Dead ball personal fouls. By far.

Probably was the difference between my team winning and losing against Cedar Hill on ESPN earlier this year.

SoonerMom2
2/1/2010, 04:24 PM
Not having a kicker that can kick field goals and even extra points routinely. Don't like covering my eyes every time we kicked last year.

TUSooner
2/1/2010, 04:41 PM
You love my football talk and you know it.

I think your problem is self-hate.

Well, your new avatar is an improvement,
barely
maybe

Still kinda creepy tho'

:D

Collier11
2/1/2010, 05:05 PM
Everytime someone talks about a college football playoff Leroy cuts himself, he has weird fixations like that

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 05:16 PM
And that is related to Twister... how?

BTW, I like creepy.

OUmillenium
2/1/2010, 05:33 PM
Not having a kicker that can kick field goals and even extra points routinely. Don't like covering my eyes every time we kicked last year.

Yes, this might have meant 3-4 more wins this year.

MamaMia
2/1/2010, 07:18 PM
Not protecting the quarterback

MamaMia
2/1/2010, 07:28 PM
Play calling scew up... too many dive plays on first down, you know...AD up the middle type plays which leaves us 2nd and long. That usually makes the other team go into a pass defense on 2nd and 3rd. Thats when and we throw incomplete passes and its punting time. In other words I don't like predictability.

Dan Thompson
2/1/2010, 09:32 PM
A QB that eat the ball when he can throw it out of bounds.

Kick offs that go out of bounds.

When the coaches don't put a blocking back to help the left offense tackle and our
QB get busted more than once.

ouwasp
2/1/2010, 11:05 PM
Here's one that no one has mentioned yet:

The crowd goes bannanas during a big play, not noticing the flag floating down to Earth in the backfield. Pay attention people! :rolleyes:

Grab-a** tackling during KO coverage. :mad:

STEP said a good one also.

Jacie
2/2/2010, 08:02 AM
Getting to the stadium and one of two things happened:

A: Forgot to bring the tickets

B: The will-call window does not have your name

badger
2/2/2010, 10:09 AM
Has anyone mentioned the refs as a football screw-up? Seriously! When neutral enforcers of the game's rules are neither neutral nor enforce the game's rules, it's annoying!

MeMyself&Me
2/2/2010, 10:20 AM
Has anyone mentioned the refs as a football screw-up?

Yup

Regarding ref screwups. I can't stand bad calls and with todays instant replay, a bad call should be a rarity. However, it seems to have gotten worse since instant replay. Bad officiating is so common and so bad now that it almost ruins football for me.

goingoneight
2/2/2010, 12:36 PM
Aggies are football screw-ups. They bother me a lot.

MamaMia
2/2/2010, 02:20 PM
Here's one that no one has mentioned yet:

The crowd goes bannanas during a big play, not noticing the flag floating down to Earth in the backfield. Pay attention people! :rolleyes:

Grab-a** tackling during KO coverage. :mad:

STEP said a good one also.
Did the thought ever occur to you that the crowd is not applauding the outcome, but rather the performance? :)