PDA

View Full Version : Wow! The US economy grew by 5.7% yoy in the fourth quarter

Chuck Bao
1/31/2010, 04:21 PM
We were all marveling about China’s fourth quarter economic growth of 10.7% yoy several weeks ago and wondering about the quality of the numbers.

Do any of you feel that the US economy really expanded by 5.7% from October to December last year?

For developed markets, like the US, economic growth of 4-6% is already very, very good, in my opinion. And, I realize that for comparison purposes the fourth quarter of 2008 was pretty ugly with the collapse in confidence of the global financial system and withdrawal in trade financing.

Personally, I don’t think it is so much voodoo science. It may be that our economic output is less and less driven by labor and more and more by capital. Anyway, labor used in the manufacturing process has been steadily exported to China and elsewhere and it will be difficult to regain those jobs.

I know that domestic consumption accounts for about 60-65% of GDP. The fact that Americans, God bless us all, still find a way to spend money is truly an economic marvel and the Asian manufacturers love us for it. The key to this article to me is that it will take about four years for the 8 million Americans who lost their jobs to find employment if we gain 175,000 new jobs each month over four years.

Yeah, I know the article states that if inventory adjustments were taken out that the US economic growth would have grown by 2.2%. My stock market strategist has been talking about this for about nine months. Her point has been that the US is heading into a double dip recession because the positive effect of the stimulus measures and restocking of inventories will soon run out. I assume that is one of the main reasons that President Obama is now talking about a jobs bill.

I know some of you love taking pot shots at President Obama. And, maybe that is justified. Still, you can’t deny that we and our spending ways ARE the monster that needs to be fed.

What is your take on this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35149367/ns/business-answer_desk/

GDP data overstates economy's health
A closer look at 5.7 percent gain for 2009's fourth quarter
By John W. Schoen
msnbc.com
updated 4:31 p.m. ET Jan. 29, 2010

The U.S. economy turned in a surprisingly good performance in the fourth quarter, surging ahead by 5.7 percent on an annual basis, according to a government report released Friday.

Or did it?

President Obama was quick to highlight the economy’s progress and “the swift and aggressive actions that made it possible." At a manufacturing company in Baltimore, Md., Obama noted that last years’ massive economic stimulus program had also "stopped the flood of job losses."

He also repeated his administration’s commitment to spur job growth to re-hire the 8 million workers sidelined by the worst recession in 60 years.

Most economists wouldn’t argue with those statements. With more $1 trillion in additional government spending, bank bailout investment and loan guarantees, on top of another $1 trillion-plus in pump-priming from the Federal Reserve, it would be surprising if that money didn’t register a strong showing as it moves through the economy and financial markets.

Friday’s GDP numbers follow a positive showing in last year's third quarter, when GDP advanced 2.2 percent, along with other economic indicators showing signs of life in housing, industrial production and consumer spending, which is beginning to come back from the depths of the recession as confidence slowly recovers.

Corporate profits are also perking up. Of the 40 percent of companies in the Standard and Poor’s 500 that have reported earnings so far, roughly two-third have come in better than expected. Some small businesses are also reporting a pick up demand and have begun tentatively hiring back workers.

But when you look a little more closely at the numbers, it quickly becomes apparent that it’s hardly time to start breaking out the champagne. A big part of the latest GDP gain comes from a statistical adjustment for changes in inventory levels that don’t reflect real growth. Over the past year, businesses cut deeply into those inventories — not wanting to get stuck with unsold goods. Now that they’ve cut them to the bone, the rate of inventory-cutting has slowed. The way the GDP is calculated, that slowdown adds to “growth” — even though it doesn’t reflect increased production or sales. If you back out that inventory adjustment, GDP grew only 2.2 percent.

Friday’s report was the preliminary reading on GDP, which will be revised twice before it’s final. Last time around, the number for the third quarter of 2009 started out at 3.5 percent before pared back to 2.2 percent for the final report. That could well happen this time around. Mike Englund at Action Economics thinks today’s number overestimated the drop in imports because the preliminary numbers may have overestimated the drop oil consumption. He says that accounted for a full percentage point of the 5.7 percent gain in the fourth quarter.

Even if the preliminary number holds through two rounds of revisions, few economists see that kind of growth as sustainable. A panel of economists surveyed by msnbc.com said they see U.S. GDP moving ahead at 2.7 percent this year.

Most of the credit for the boost in GDP has to go to the stimulus — along with the Fed’s historic moves to flood the system with cash and buy up mortgage bonds that no one else wants to touch. What’s far from clear is whether the rest of the economy’s gears will begin turning on their own — once the stimulus spending fades and the Fed turns off the money pump and begins soaking all that excess money.

Reversing course — from “easy” money to a “tighter” monetary policy — is going to be extremely difficult to pull off. If the Fed drains money too quickly, it risks stalling the recovery. If it drains too slowly, and keeps interest rates low for too long, it risks creating another bubble — or an outbreak of inflation.

The folks on the Fed are in a spirited debate about this quandary. This week’s decision by the Fed’s rate-setting committee included a dissenting view from Thomas Hoenig, president of the of the St Louis Fed, who thinks it’s time to start thinking about raising rates to fight inflation. The rest of the Fed disagrees.

At the center of that debate is the question of just how much “slack” there is in the economy right now. The prevailing theory is that with so many people out of work, wages going nowhere and companies competing with each other for sales by keeping prices low, there’s just not much risk of an outbreak of inflation right now. If that theory is wrong — if companies already have taken the slack out of their businesses — the recovery could put more pressure on inflation than is widely expected.

There is also a risk that the “longer term” problem of large increases in the national debt is becoming a more immediate problem. If investors around the world begin worrying about the size of that debt, they may demand higher interest rates to lend Uncle Sam more money. Rising rates would also be bad news for the economy.

That’s why President Obama wants to freeze spending and set up a commission to look for ways to trim the debt. But cutting spending won’t be easy. Most of it goes to programs like Social Security, Medicare and defense that no one wants to see cut. Worse, the cost of Medicare is rising faster than the economy is growing, so it eats up a bigger piece of GDP every year. With all that spending “off the table,” there’s only 12 cents of every tax dollar left for education, roads, the courts — all the things we expect government to provide. That’s the part that will get cut.

There are also signs of life in the housing market, but it’s too soon to say the worst is over. After bouncing along at what looked like a bottom, homes sales recently headed lower again. As long as we continue to see more than 300,000 foreclosures a month — and those homes are dumped on a depressed market at discount prices — it’s hard to see how we get a sustainable recovery.

The outlook on that front isn’t promising. Much of the early wave of foreclosures came from adjustable mortgages that had a two- or three-year “teaser” rate. Another nastier product, called a “pay-option ARM” has a longer “fuse.” These are expected to begin resetting in large numbers this year and next. Unless something can be done to defuse those resets — or refinance those loans — there will be even more foreclosures. So far, the government’s effort to stop foreclosures has fallen woefully short of the mark. Most estimates suggest that foreclosure haven’t peaked and could rise to 4 million this year.

No matter what the latest GDP numbers show, most people judge their health of the economy based on their employment status. The cruel reality is that it takes the job market many months to recover - even after the economy begins a convincing upturn. That’s because employers do everything they can to meet increased demand before they hire permanent workers. They need to be fully convinced the recovery is real. Until then, they'll add overtime hours for current workers, or hire temps to pick up the pace of production.

So “growth” is really about getting the eight million people sidelined by the recession back to work. That math on that score is also troubling.

Even if we get back to the kind of “robust” growth that we saw in the mid-00s, the economy would only add about 300,000 jobs a month. You need about 125,000 new jobs just to keep up with the monthly growth in the workforce. So even if we got job growth back on track tomorrow — with, say, 175,000 net new jobs a month — it would still take nearly four years to get those eight million people back to work.

Even when hiring begins again, the other important trend to watch is the growth of wages. With so many unemployed people out there, employers don’t have to raise wages to attract workers. A separate report Friday showed that wages rose more slowly in 2009 that at any time on record.

GKeeper316
1/31/2010, 04:24 PM
could just be that everyone wasnt spending in the first 3 quarters so they could have a nice christmas...

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 04:32 PM
The holiday season is obviously a factor. I also feel that this crap doesn't make much difference in the real world off of Wall Street until it contributes to some job recovery and more money in the pockets of those of us on Main Street. Without a re-emergence of jobs or yet another unemployment extention, there will be a secondary collapse due to the huge drop in money actually being spent and a giant increase in the amount of money the government will be spending on programs like food stamps.

I think we are a LONG way from out of the woods at this point. Prior to this recession I never knew anyone in Nevada that didn't have a job within 2 weeks of beginning the search. Now we have people (some of whom I know well enough to know how hard they are looking and how many applications/resumes they have filled out/turned in) that are going on 2 years of being jobless or totally underemployed. And we're only like the 4th or 5th worst state in unemployment right now.

OUHOMER
1/31/2010, 05:24 PM
I dont believe it myself, i am in the transportation and when the GDP grows we see an up tick in freight movement. We have seen a small increase in exports but domestic has been flat for a very long time.

Its about to put another LTL out of business, they are surviving by the skin of the teeth.

XingTheRubicon
1/31/2010, 06:51 PM
10% unemployment means the economy sucks. Every other economic indicator is useless until unemployment improves.

olevetonahill
1/31/2010, 06:59 PM
Since im not in the financial sector I dont have a clue. Just lookin around at the folks around here tho , I doubt it, Times are still pretty hard.

What amasses me tho is the fact that most around here dont have any discretionary spending money But they still find ways to buy Cigs and beer :confused:

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 07:01 PM
10% unemployment means the economy sucks. Every other economic indicator is useless until unemployment improves.

Bingo! You got it.

December unemployment in Nevada was 13%. That was up from 12.3 in November and 12.9 in October. That doesn't look like a great quarter to me. The previous quarter was 12.5, 13.2, and 13.3. I guess technically we got "better" but only because a lot of people dropped off the rolls.

OklahomaTuba
2/1/2010, 11:09 AM
Its actually around 20% unemployment. The 10% number is BS.

And with almost every major PUBLIC employer now set to start massive laying off, its only gonna get worse.

1890MilesToNorman
2/1/2010, 11:12 AM
But they still find ways to buy Cigs and beer :confused:

Cause we gots our priorities straight! :D

OklahomaTuba
2/1/2010, 11:16 AM
HEAR THIS MAN!!@!@#!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the words of the Spanish philosopher George Santayana, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Since our President cannot even learn from the mistakes of his immediate predecessor, to say nothing of those he made himself while in the Senate or during his first year as president, we are surely doomed to repeat them, perhaps more quickly than Santayana could have imagined.

Rather than tightening the reins on the reckless monetary policy that undermined our savings, diminished our industrial output, inflated asset bubbles, and led to reckless speculation on Wall Street and excess consumption on Main Street, we are loosing them further. Rather than repealing regulations that distort markets and create moral hazards, we are adding new ones that do more of the same. Rather than cutting government spending to reduce the burden it places on our economy, we are increasing both the amount of the spending and the size of the burden. Rather than making government smaller so that the private sector can grow, we are making government bigger and forcing the private sector to shrink. Rather than paying off our debts we are taking on even more. Rather than encouraging people to save we are enticing them to spend. Rather than creating jobs, we are merely creating unemployment benefits.

As a result, instead of seeding the soil for a real recovery we are setting the stage for a prolonged depression. http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-has-us-on-the-path-to-economic-ruin-2010-1

captain_surly
2/1/2010, 11:20 AM
A big part of the latest GDP gain comes from a statistical adjustment for changes in inventory levels that don’t reflect real growth. Over the past year, businesses cut deeply into those inventories — not wanting to get stuck with unsold goods. Now that they’ve cut them to the bone, the rate of inventory-cutting has slowed. The way the GDP is calculated, that slowdown adds to “growth” — even though it doesn’t reflect increased production or sales. If you back out that inventory adjustment, GDP grew only 2.2 percent.

If Ross Perot was commenting I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing about vodoo economics about now. Consumers aren't spending, unemployment isn't coming down and foreclosures are going up. This "recovery" remains very fragile.

Notice it doesn't say companies are building inventories but rather the rate of cutting has slowed.

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 11:29 AM
We've seen growth in our target industries and, even after a terrible year, are on pace to make plan of 10% growth (our business plan, not industry). This does not seem too far off.

This recession has been strange. I see numbers about it being bad, and I hear people getting laid off, but I always hear about them getting hired again. We had several people on our team jump for better jobs. That's not a sign of a crap economy. I know the numbers say that jobs everywhere are falling apart and Tulsa itself is seeing layoffs of paycuts (;)) but everywhere I look in our line of work, things seem to be just kind of running. We touch a lot of different industries, too...

OklahomaTuba
2/1/2010, 11:33 AM
Don't worry Pride, Dear Leader will fix that for you.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/1/2010, 01:39 PM
Color me bamboozled. To me cash flow is king. It's like when Enron was cooking the books in their financial statements, but you could see what was coming by looking at their cash flow statement.

So I wanted to look at state revenues because to me it seems like it should be a good indication of economic activity. Usually states tax things like consumer spending and income. I haven't found anything on 4th quarter yet, but I found this report on 3rd quarter state revenues.

http://www.rockinst.org/pdf/government_finance/state_revenue_report/2010-01-07-SRR_78.pdf

Now in the 3rd quarter, we supposedly had GDP growth of 2.5%, but somehow state income tax revenue was down a whopping 18% and sales tax revenue down 9%. Does that sound like a growing economy, especially when consumer spending is supposedly 70% of our economy?

Tulsa_Fireman
2/1/2010, 01:40 PM
Uhhh, yes?

Maybe?

If we had a bad *** SUPER-FAST-FACEHUMP TRAIN we'd totally be back up in dis bizznatcho.

Word.

GKeeper316
2/2/2010, 12:43 AM
all you guys do is bash the president. you have no respect for the office he holds, and offer no solutions yourselves.

ultimately it came down to a choice between a guy i would have voted for 20 years ago but now is just a walking heart attack waiting to happen (who would have left us with sarah palin in the oval office. not even you guys wanted that... trust me) and a young, enthusiastic and highly intelligent black man who has lived the american dream.

john mccain cant even send an email without help from his wife. a person that ignorant of existing and emerging technology has no business whatsoever of leading the free world.

keep on cryin like little girls with skinned knees tho. its amusing.

Collier11
2/2/2010, 01:46 AM

Im no financial whiz but I tend to agree with this

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2010, 02:57 AM
A lot of you guys who are perceiveing the economy and recession as "not as bad as reported" have the luxury of living in Oklahoma and texass where the blow has been lesser and later than most of the rest of the country. You are only just now beginning to see what was going on elsewhere as much as 2 years agWe are far from out of the woods and would be even if the stimulus did every single thing they claimed it would, which is obviously not the case.

I'm no financial wizard either, but I'm been peeing standing up for most of my 40 years and I pay attention to the world more than any person who values their sanity has any business doing. We're screwed for at least another year or two and most likely 5 or more, no matter what the government does to try and fix it and no matter how many times Exxon Mobile reports a giant profit and raises the overall value of the imaginary money world of stocks.

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 12:08 PM
all you guys do is bash the president. you have no respect for the office he holds, and offer no solutions yourselves.

ultimately it came down to a choice between a guy i would have voted for 20 years ago but now is just a walking heart attack waiting to happen (who would have left us with sarah palin in the oval office. not even you guys wanted that... trust me) and a young, enthusiastic and highly intelligent black man who has lived the american dream.

john mccain cant even send an email without help from his wife. a person that ignorant of existing and emerging technology has no business whatsoever of leading the free world.

keep on cryin like little girls with skinned knees tho. its amusing.

I'd like to "offer a solution."

1. Stop spending money like a crack whore at TJ Maxx. (Massachusetts just elected a Republican senator) This is the equivalent to Bob Stoops donating $500K to the University of Texas athletic department.

2. At a fundraiser, you don't count nodding heads and applause to gauge its success. You add up the checks. Similar to pinpointing the end of a recession in the US economy. History will show how dire unemployment numbers are for making the turn.

Another one is auto sales. 2008 was a horrible year for total sales. GM for example, went from 4 million US cars and trucks sold in '07...to 3 million in '08. In 2009 GM went from 3 million in '08 to a total of 2.07 million. Historically, When US citizens feel comfortable and optimistic about the future, they buy cars. When US citzens feel like they're being led by a crack whore with a wheelbarrow full of cash at TJ Maxx, they do not buy cars. (even the ones that can afford a new auto)

In other words, many people believe with their hearts, and some like you, even with their minds, that this administration/congress is leading us to recovery. However, citizens of the US (both sides) are telling us with their pocket books that they think our immediate economic future is being determined by a crack whore with a wheelbarrow full of cash at a TJ Maxx.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2010, 12:24 PM
Hey, it's not our fault that Dear Leader has turned out to be one of, if not the biggest political bust in modern history.

It's not our fault his "stimulus" plan for creating jobs has been the most expensive failure in US American history, and we now have over 20% real unemployment

or that we are nationalizing **** left and right,

or that he's tripling the US budget deficit in one year, increasing that deficit the next year,

or that he is refusing to interrogate captured terrorists, holding terror trials in New York City,

or that he is trying to ram nationalized health care through Congress in closed door meetings, bribing and threatening senators,

Sorry, but Obama is a disaster so far. So much so its turned a blue state red overnight, and looks to have put life into a near collapsed GOP, so much so that it may now take back both houses of congress.

StoopTroup
2/2/2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/01/24/wine-glass.jpg

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, that we still have to pay for. You see the cash for clunkers wasn't magic money, forrest. It's real money that has to be paid back.

Ford sales sucked, too.

Only a liberal would boast a billion dollar profit when it's less than half the number just a few years ago.

A billion dollars!!! Yeah!!!!

StoopTroup
2/2/2010, 01:02 PM
How the hell Ford or any Car Maker is still allowed to sell a vehicle that doesn't get 20+ MPG is what amazes me. If you are going to be part of a Government run program that is supposed to also encourage greener cars and trucks....how in the hell can you get $5000 to buy a vehicle from a manufacturer that is surviving on making more ineffecient vehicles than anyone on the Planet?

Every Ford I have owned got worse gas mileage than any other vehicle on the road.

It is amazing that they ever were allowed to even be part of that program IMO.

I'm done buying Fords and I hate to say that as I the best vehicle I ever owned was an Expedition. I felt safe in it. It was dependable and I miss it. It guzzzled gas though and so di my Lariat 4x4.

When they can figure out a way to make gas engines quit spitting out 85% of the lost energy out the tailpipe...I might own another one.

We waste fuel like nobody's business.

1890MilesToNorman
2/2/2010, 01:27 PM
Do you guys really still believe any economist, politician or media talking heads?

tommieharris91
2/2/2010, 01:38 PM
Do you guys really still believe any economist, politician or media talking heads?

I can believe the guys who said this recession would be bad.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2010, 01:45 PM
So far this program, all though over, is showing that the three billion was worth it.
Worth it to who?

Our grandchildren who will be paying for it?

Or maybe you mean the Japanese automakers who sold more cars because of it?

Maybe our Chinese overlords/bond holders or the debt laden unemployed folks who can't afford their house or overdue credit card bills much less an over priced new car made in another country????

Yeah, it was REAL worth it. :rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2010, 02:07 PM
Admit it, Tuba. You jizzed a little when you typed that, didn't you?Hellz yeah, all over yo mommas biotch *** face.

OklahomaTuba
2/2/2010, 02:10 PM
Dear Lord I hope not....

Laffer: Obama's 'Train Wreck' Ahead

Arthur Laffer, creator of the Laffer Curve that showed how low tax rates boost economic growth, is warning anyone who will listen that the economy is headed for a “train wreck” in 2011 that will make the current recession look tame by comparison.

The famed economist, whose supply-side, tax-cutting policies enacted by President Reagan in 1981 put the economy on a record-breaking, 25-year economic trajectory of growth and prosperity, is telling Americans not to be lulled by sporadic signs of growth this year, because the economy is headed for a sharper decline next year when tax rates are expected to jump sharply, sending the economy into a new tailspin.

“It will make the decline in U.S. output from 2010 to 2011 worse than the decline in output in 2008 and 2009 which will catastrophic,” Laffer said in an interview with HUMAN EVENTS.http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=35341

StoopTroup
2/2/2010, 02:39 PM
Heard today on CNN from the Head of the DOT I think...that Airlines need regulation to survive.

Can you say 5 trillion?

Sad to say...they might be right after 9-11-01.

Chuck Bao
2/2/2010, 03:31 PM
Interesting discussion.

Honestly, I think that we live in a new world and old approaches to solving the current problems may make the situation much worse. That Laffer article posted by Tuba is a laugher, in my opinion.

Our international competitiveness is not based on comparable tax rates. If that were the case, European companies would have been dead a very long time ago.

I am not an expert on US corporate tax law. I wonder if large US companies are not getting US tax breaks on investing overseas and relocating our jobs to foreign nationals. If that is the case, expenditures are expensed but revenues are not taxed with the US and double taxation treaties with various countries in the world.

Obviously, there was a time when American companies expanding abroad was a very positive thing. Wall Street still rewards those companies that generate ever expanding foreign revenues. On the other hand, unfairly penalizing American companies abroad would basically hand over the world business to competing companies in Europe and Asia and certainly not good in the long-term scheme of things.

I get the tax argument, though. Small businesses are bearing the brunt of it and are going to be saddled with even greater costs if the health care reforms go through. These small businesses are not too big to fail, do not have their lobbyists working Congress, are not supplanting American workers with overseas workers and certainly not getting a fair interest rates from the bailed out banks.

I don't even like the idea of tax breaks for small businesses hiring workers.

At the end of the day, I think that it is all about currency exchange rates. There has to be an adjustment to rebalance global trade. It is a very scary scenario that we need foreigners to buy our debt that needs to be devalued just as we have no choice but to raise new debt. But, there we are.

I agree with previous posters who say that there is no chance of real recovery without improving employment. I am not sure when we finally get the balls to solve this thing.

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 05:04 PM
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3456/bubba.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/bubba.jpg/)
Forrest, I got four thousand dollars for an 80 dollar car.

That's great, Bubba.

Forrest, how'd that happen.

Momma says demo crats like to stir money while they're goat f****** the world so they can use it as a distraction and talk in circles.

I saved four thousand dollars, Forrest.

I know you did, Bubba. Congratulations...and you're welcome.

**** you, Forrest.

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 07:03 PM
Ford and GM just put out a report of double digit growth for the month of January.

Suck on that, Bubba.

OK, go ahead and invest your $800 life savings in F and GM.

ndpruitt03
2/2/2010, 07:07 PM
All I know is the debt right now is 12 trillion and it's projected to be over 20 trillion in 10 years. That's not good for any economy. We are about to be the United States of China.

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 07:39 PM
Here's a fun, liberals are people too, game.

Under what scenario would you blame the current administration over the next 3 years if things steadily decline. Not saying it's gonna happen, not saying you think it will happen. Just asking if there's any set of events that could happen that you would blame Obama.

In other words, is there anything in your brain that could type that sequence of words...

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 07:45 PM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9756/cricket.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/cricket.jpg/)

Chuck Bao
2/2/2010, 07:58 PM
I am not sure what you are talking about. I don't think it would matter much who is in the White House because we are probably going to go through a few very tough years. I do not like partisan blame game and there appears to be a lot of it to go around with the last two administrations setting policy over the last 16 years and both failing to see the inherent weaknesses in the US economy. With all of the best minds that money can buy, you'd think that it could turn out better than it did.

XingTheRubicon
2/2/2010, 08:49 PM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9756/cricket.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/cricket.jpg/)

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2010, 09:40 PM
Now this is the kind of intelligent political discourse I love.

Chuck Bao
2/2/2010, 09:42 PM

I am really curious about what this is supposed to mean. Is this referring to Aesop's fable about the ants and the grasshopper and working hard and storing food for the winter?

If that is the intent. I agree. We should have raised taxes during periods of high economic growth and then be prepared for deficit spending now.

Oh I know that our congress is made up of a bunch of grasshoppers. It is a pity because inflation and interest rates are as much a tax as...well...taxes.

But it all reflects back on us because we have become a nation of grasshoppers.

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2010, 09:45 PM
Not me...I'm a snail.

Chuck Bao
2/2/2010, 09:50 PM
Not me...I'm a snail.

Not me. I am pretty sure that I was a frog in a previous life. I ate both ants and grasshoppers. I also bumped my butt when I would jump.

Crucifax Autumn
2/2/2010, 09:57 PM
I still do.