PDA

View Full Version : Who should we go after?

IronHorseSooner
1/31/2010, 01:01 PM
I know I posted this in another thread, but I wanted a separate discussion for this one topic. Look, the great Sooner teams were a mix of talent and local kids who grew up fans, and wanted to destroy *. That being said, should we go after a local kid who might be under-the-radar some? Again, here's my list of the best left out there:

Tre Porter: DB, MWC Schools: OU, OSU, Tech (and others)
Emmanuel Maxwell: LB, MWC Schools: OU, OSU, Tulsa (and others)
Denton Simek: OL, Prague Schools: Tech, Nebraska
Trayvon Henry: OLB/DE, OKC Millwood Schools: OU, OSU, Tulsa (and others)
Chris McAlester: WR, Del City Schools: Colorado State, Wyoming
Daniel Farrow: DB, Mustang Schools: OU. OSU, Tulsa (and others)
Darwin Rideau: ATH, Star Spencer Schools: OU, OSU (and others)
Kevin Cabello: K, PC North Schools: N/A
Cole Way: K, Tulsa Union Schools: Tulsa, Arky

I don't think that we will go after Simek, because he is looking elsewhere. Porter is the most elite left, but I bet he ends up a Poke, also, we are loaded in the secondary, and a number of local kids (Lynn, Colvin, Wilson) back there. Same thing goes for Farrow. McAlester will likely go out-of-state. This would leave Maxwell, Henry, Rideau, and one of the kickers. My bet would be Rideau or Way. The other two will probably go to somewhere like OSU or TU.

Rideau might not be an elite prospect, but his triangle numbers look like someone who is a really good athlete who could be used as a back up LB/Safety, and be a special teams demon, ala Ronnell "The Hammer" Lewis. Also his Dad and cousin, James Allen, were Sooners and are still connected to the program.

If not him, Cole Way would be a great get. He's already putting the ball through the uprights on KOs! I know they are KOs from the 40, but that's hard to do. That means that he would getting the ball into the end zone without a whole lot of trouble on KOs at the college level. What it also means is that he has good height on his kicks, and he has good accuracy. As a former kicker, I can attest as to just how hard this is to do. He's already 6'8', 210, and Tress put on 25 lbs since he got here. If Cole got any stronger, he would be kicking it to Pauls Valley!

Curly Bill
1/31/2010, 02:27 PM
I'm not in favor of using a schollie just for the sake of using it, so unless there's someone out there we really want I say we don't use it.

I wouldn't be opposed to using one on a kicker if we can get a good one. It's been a while since we had a kicker that didn't pretty much stink. One Mr. Hartley would be the last that fit that bill it would seem.

jdsooner
1/31/2010, 03:17 PM
For once, I agree with Curly Bill. We have more than the usual number of recruits in this class, so we might save that for later.

silverwheels
1/31/2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it's not like we lose the scholarship if we don't use it. Save it for next year.

lexsooner
1/31/2010, 08:44 PM
Save it for next year. Just don't blow it on some JUCO stiffs like the ones we have signed the last couple of years. I mean other than LB Balangon, what other JUCOs have significantly contributed recently? J.R. Bryant, OL Jeffries, the WR who could not catch last season, the 360 lb. OL dud from Pennsylvania who is transferring? The Loadholts are a rare gem, but apparently most JUCOs are like the duds we have signed recently. It seems more than ever before, the players coming straight from high school are often ready to contribute as freshman, especially if they enroll early. Let Kansas St. have the Jeffries of the JUCO ranks.

pappy
1/31/2010, 10:09 PM
We're not recruiting tre porter to play db we are recruiting him to play wr. In the article about him decommitting to tech and he talks about how OU had just offered him to come play wr which he liked the idea cause most schools are recruiting him as a DB.

But I hope we don't just give the scholarship to someone because we have an extra.

soonerfan28
2/1/2010, 12:35 PM
Heard James Hale mention Christian Jones out of Florida. Doesn't look promising. I saw this guy as one of the best thats left on rivals site and didn't think we were even trying to get him. Looks like a player with some good pedigree. I did run across this from almost 2 months ago.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-recruiting-christian-jones-fsu-oklahom20091212,0,7355090.story

mustangsooner
2/1/2010, 02:27 PM
Heard James Hale mention Christian Jones out of Florida. Doesn't look promising. I saw this guy as one of the best thats left on rivals site and didn't think we were even trying to get him. Looks like a player with some good pedigree. I did run across this from almost 2 months ago.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-recruiting-christian-jones-fsu-oklahom20091212,0,7355090.story

I went to Orlando on a business trip on Tuesday and ran into Brent and Jackie at the Airport in Dallas. We talked to them for a little bit before our flight and they said they were going to Orlando to do some recruiting. I asked what the deal on Jeffcoat was and he asked if I knew anything and I said all I know is whats on the message boards. He was actually pretty funny about it he said to post on the board they were headed to DisneyWorld on vacation. So looks like they headed down to talk with Mr. Jones. I get on the plane and Brent sat right behind me on the plane in the cheap seats. So he is also saving some money by flying cheap.