PDA

View Full Version : SI does it again.

MyT Oklahoma
1/30/2010, 04:27 AM
Still yet once again SI displays it's ignorance of college football history with it's photo gallery on the Top 15 recruiting classes of all time where they completely overlook the 1953 OU recruting class. Our boys never lost a game as freshmen and then they never lost a varsity game either. They helped OU set the NCAA record of 47 straight wins and won two back-to-back championships (1955-1956).

It isn't fair, it's SI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1001/cfb.top15.recruiting.classes.all.time/content.1.html

Crucifax Autumn
1/30/2010, 05:39 AM
3 comments:

#1 - At least they included our '72 class
#2 - That Florida pic makes the village people look like REAL macho men
#3 - They made damn sure to show the '84 Miami class playing OU...Friggin' Weenuses!

sooner59
1/30/2010, 08:14 PM
I didn't know Tommy Frazier was from Bradenton, FL. I have family there. Nice place.

Tigeman
1/30/2010, 09:27 PM
Anyone else think the ND player at #1 looks like Timmahhhhh!

rawlingsHOH
1/30/2010, 09:30 PM
I didn't know Tommy Frazier was from Bradenton, FL. I have family there. Nice place.

Yep, Manatee HS. He was a stud. They also got a DB from the same school, later played with the Packers, can't think of his name, Tyrone ?

Frazier's little brother signed with the Gators as a fullback, a few years later.

They started recruiting FLA hardcore after FSU and Miami were beating them constantly.

Leroy Lizard
1/30/2010, 09:38 PM
They always have these top-10 (or so) lists, but they never tell us the criteria. For example, wasn't our 1975 recruitment pretty good? IIRC, we got Sims, Lott, Overstreet... who else?

StoopTroup
1/30/2010, 09:53 PM
They always have these top-10 (or so) lists, but they never tell us the criteria. For example, wasn't our 1975 recruitment pretty good? IIRC, we got Sims, Lott, Overstreet... who else?

It was just those three. They were really really good though.

sooner59
1/30/2010, 10:08 PM
Yep, Manatee HS. He was a stud. They also got a DB from the same school, later played with the Packers, can't think of his name, Tyrone ?

Frazier's little brother signed with the Gators as a fullback, a few years later.

They started recruiting FLA hardcore after FSU and Miami were beating them constantly.

Haha, nice. I have two cousins that graduated from Manatee and one that is still there. They played in the state championship this year. When one of my cousins was there he went to a playoff game and some little guy by the name of Noel Divine lit them up.

OK2LA
1/31/2010, 07:39 PM
Weak "article". The didn't really get into any other players other than the one pictured. Soft mention of a couple of other players.

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 08:42 PM
I thought Greg Robers might have been recruited in 1975 also, but I think he was recruited the previous year. But I did find an old newspaper article on him. For the historians:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19790512&id=F_wNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RXwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5486,2974158

rawlingsHOH
1/31/2010, 11:29 PM
Haha, nice. I have two cousins that graduated from Manatee and one that is still there. They played in the state championship this year. When one of my cousins was there he went to a playoff game and some little guy by the name of Noel Divine lit them up.

Manatee and Southeast (also in Bradenton) were both huge powers in the late 80's-mid 90's. Still strong, but were absolute D1 factories back then.

stoopified
1/31/2010, 11:59 PM
It was just those three. They were really really good though.You ARE kidding,right?The 1975 class is the class that Switzer has said repeatedly was his best.It also includedGeorge Cumby,Daryl Hunt,Victor Hicks,Kenny King,Reggie Kinlaw,Phil and Paul Tabor.That just the other studs that were in that class.among others were Mike Babb,Bud Hebert,and some guy named Kent Bradford.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2010, 01:03 AM
You ARE kidding,right?

No, he was in "I must disagree with Lizard" mode.