PDA

View Full Version : computer antivirus stuff question?

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/29/2010, 05:31 AM
this subject is way too vast for me to figger out by myself, so i thought i would ask some people here that are far more knowledgeable about it than i.

i was having immense problems with any web browser that i was using (i.e. & mozilla) freezing up on me and me having to close the browser and start over. a computer guy came over and (among other things) installed microsoft security essentials on my computer and removed avg. i was wondering what everyone else used for firewall and antivirus software. what would you use (or do use) if you paid $ for one? i also use zonealarm for a firewall.

any advice? thanks in advance.

OUHOMER
1/29/2010, 06:10 AM
I have been having problems since the last update of mozilla.
I used macfee but it expired about the same time as the update.

So, i dont know if its Mozilla or my expired Macfee.

I have warnings popping up all over the place, and my email will not down load pictures?

WildBlueSooner
1/29/2010, 06:48 AM
I have used AVG for years and never had any problems...it was recommended to my by my friend who works for a computer repair company...I would not pay for any anti-virus as there are several free ones that are just as good as the ones you pay for.Just mt .2!

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/29/2010, 08:06 AM
microsoft security essentials is something that i never heard of until now. any opinions about this compared to ___________?

delhalew
1/29/2010, 08:45 AM
I have always used avg or avast and zonealarm. Since having a free macaffe sub, I have decided it plays better with others and will pay for it when it expires.

swardboy
1/29/2010, 09:00 AM
I use avg free with good results. Have you tried "system restore" back to a point in time when your machine was operating fine?

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 09:02 AM
I use whichever one I happen to steal that particular year.

RacerX
1/29/2010, 10:05 AM
Free - AVG, Avast
Pay - Kaspersky

stoops the eternal pimp
1/29/2010, 10:18 AM
avast

King Crimson
1/29/2010, 10:21 AM
i've used AVG and Spybot for 8 years or so. no real problems. i've used the microsoft security essentials on my laptop and it's not bad. generally positive reviews and has a very nice user interface (which is not always the case with MS stuff).

Veritas
1/29/2010, 10:37 AM
Don't use any of that bull****, it all succs.

1) Don't look at pr()n.
2) Don't use Outlook for email, use a web-based service.

Follow those simple rules, and you'll be virus free. If you must look at pr()n, do so in a virtual machine.

Or, and I'm going to get hollered at for this, buy a Mac. After many years of deriding Macs and mocking their users as koolaid chugging poseurs, I bought a Mac and I'll never go back to PC.

Yes, they're more expensive. But how much do you value your time? I place a very high value on mine so it doesn't take too much time waiting for **** to load or ****ing around with anti-virus software to make up that difference.\

And yes, I recognize the irony inherent to talking about valuing my time highly on posting on here. Some people watch reality TV, I hang out on SF.com. :)

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 11:22 AM
It's gonna be funny one of these days when everyone is all cozy in their Mac world or with their Firefox browser and some deviant hacker with a sense of humor shreds an assload of computers with a fun new virus.

soonerboomer93
1/29/2010, 11:28 AM
If you're having to constantly **** around with av, you're doing it wrong, or have been going to a lot of sites that put your system at risk.

Microsoft Security Essentials is fine, I haven't noticed any problems on it on the machines I installed it on. I've read some information and what I recall is that overall, it was considered to be one of the better ones. It should be free, you can get it with Win 7, not sure about anything under that.

I wouldn't use avast, I personally found a trojan on a machine that had Avast Free as it's AV.

I run Kaspersky on my personal and parents computers. Overall, it has low memory usage, frequent automatic updates. It's default settings are pretty strict, but the only thing I end up changing is the firewall to allow access to my public folders.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 12:23 PM
I've never had a problem with Kaspersky, either the program itself or it letting anything "get me". One of the best for sure.

GKeeper316
1/29/2010, 01:50 PM
between avg free edition and malwarebytes i have yet to run into a virus i couldnt handle.

if your web browser is still getting hung up, it may not be due to your security features.

i spent 3 days last week finding a simple fix to locked up browser problems.

try this. open adobe reader > edit > preferences > internet > deselect the display pdf in browser window option and reboot.

i recommend doing that even if you arent having problems. it will correct a potential hickup with you system when reading pdfs. basically pdf reader doesnt get the command to shut down its .exe when you close the browser page and starts eating up massive amounts of processor resources to try and read pdfs that arent even there.

also download a free registry cleaner. i use abexo

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 01:55 PM
I've seen that happen too.

yermom
1/29/2010, 02:26 PM
Adobe is a gaping hole. if you can avoid installing Adobe reader or Flash do it :D

you really need to pay attention to updating them

that and Flash ads seem to be what kills my browser the most

my #1 thing to avoid malware is Internet Explorer. INTERNET. EXPLORER. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

i can't stress that i'm not joking.

if you are going to visit questionable sites, ie... pr0n, warez, pirate sites, use Firefox with Adblock and NoScript. it takes a while to get all the sites you use/trust set up, but it also shows you how many places use weird scripts from wherever

i haven't used MS Security Essentials, but i have heard good things, but i also use Linux like 75% of the time

i have been using AVG and had no problems. the problems seem to come from ignoring #1 when people bring me computers to fix.

the other thing is that once you are infected, you might as well assume your AV program is playing for the other team. boot from a thumb drive or CD to really clean your system.

Veritas
1/29/2010, 04:21 PM
It's gonna be funny one of these days when everyone is all cozy in their Mac world or with their Firefox browser and some deviant hacker with a sense of humor shreds an assload of computers with a fun new virus.
Yeah, because hackers have had so much success writing virus to attack the *nix kernel. :rolleyes:

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/29/2010, 04:48 PM
does kapersky have a a firewall along with it's antivirus?

Scott D
1/29/2010, 04:50 PM
yes kaspersky has a firewall in their Internet Security package.

sooner ngintunr
1/29/2010, 05:19 PM
free AVG found a buttload of stuff, including trojans, that microsoft sec ess missed.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah, because hackers have had so much success writing virus to attack the *nix kernel. :rolleyes:

True enough, but in the realm of malware the most important factor is this: People are stupid.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229

In addition, *nix machines CAN pass assorted malware to windows machines, so you can't really say that people shouldn't use antivirus programs. Most people probably don't want to infect other people!

My real point of the original post though was merely to comment that the *nix crowd's belief that they are invulnerable is an invitation for disaster.

A funny comment I read in a discussion of the issue of malware:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

:D

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/29/2010, 06:38 PM
ms security essentials has "found a trojan" when i've come to this site TWICE. someone please explain that one.

yermom
1/29/2010, 06:55 PM
ms security essentials has "found a trojan" when i've come to this site TWICE. someone please explain that one.

there is a thread on it in the help section, from what sb93 posted, it looks like a false positive, but i'm surprised no one has fixed it...

yermom
1/29/2010, 07:00 PM
True enough, but in the realm of malware the most important factor is this: People are stupid.

In addition, *nix machines CAN pass assorted malware to windows machines, so you can't really say that people shouldn't use antivirus programs. Most people probably don't want to infect other people!

My real point of the original post though was merely to comment that the *nix crowd's belief that they are invulnerable is an invitation for disaster.

http://cyberinsecure.com/microsoft-adobe-apple-fix-critical-security-vulnerabilities/

i still haven't used virus software on a Mac by choice, but i'd never say they were safe

i've come across a few *nix machines with rootkits. that is pretty scary stuff...

StoopTroup
1/29/2010, 07:26 PM
I was using Firefox exclusively on my desktop for at least 2 years. It was Firefox and AVG that started letting these Flash pop-ups start on my machine. When my kid clicked on one of the ads....everything went haywire. A AVG clone popped up which askes you to buy into their software to fix it. DO NOT DO THIS!

I have gotten everything out and I still have some problems. Not worried really as everything is backed up. Something everyone should do IMO.

I think Veritas has a point and that right now Mac does offer a product that works quicker and has less folks out there trying to cause problems.

I also think folks who use auto or bill pays on-line should make damn sure their credit is turned off at the Credit Bureaus. All THREE of them. If you need to open an account for something....you can let them know and they will allow the folks who need access to your credit to get what they need.

I got that one from Clark Howard.com. Not everything Clark says is earth shattering info....but that one is one I didn;t ever think about. I have a guy I work with that had his personal info stolen and even after 10 years he still has trouble. Your Credit Score being attacked is way worse than anything that can happen to you on the internet IMO. Your Credit Score and SSN is the worst thing to have attacked. As long as you cover that and back up your other stuff.....you shouldn't feel so damn terrorized by all of this other ****.

Mac looks more desirable right now to me. I did like Stephen Colbert's joke about Steve Job's introduction of the IPAD.....saying that the TamPod came in a close 2nd in the naming process. :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 07:31 PM
I'm on a pc and primarily use IE, to the horror of so many tech nerds. I haven't had any malware problems of any flavor in years, because I don't do stupid ****.

yermom
1/29/2010, 07:36 PM
I was using Firefox exclusively on my desktop for at least 2 years. It was Firefox and AVG that started letting these Flash pop-ups start on my machine. When my kid clicked on one of the ads....everything went haywire. A AVG clone popped up which askes you to buy into their software to fix it. DO NOT DO THIS!

I have gotten everything out and I still have some problems. Not worried really as everything is backed up. Something everyone should do IMO.

I think Veritas has a point and that right now Mac does offer a product that works quicker and has less folks out there trying to cause problems.

I also think folks who use auto or bill pays on-line should make damn sure their credit is turned off at the Credit Bureaus. All THREE of them. If you need to open an account for something....you can let them know and they will allow the folks who need access to your credit to get what they need.

I got that one from Clark Howard.com. Not everything Clark says is earth shattering info....but that one is one I didn;t ever think about. I have a guy I work with that had his personal info stolen and even after 10 years he still has trouble. Your Credit Score being attacked is way worse than anything that can happen to you on the internet IMO. Your Credit Score and SSN is the worst thing to have attacked. As long as you cover that and back up your other stuff.....you shouldn't feel so damn terrorized by all of this other ****.

Mac looks more desirable right now to me. I did like Stephen Colbert's joke about Steve Job's introduction of the IPAD.....saying that the TamPod came in a close 2nd in the naming process. :D

what do you think they are after when they hack your machine?

StoopTroup
1/29/2010, 07:39 PM
what do you think they are after when they hack your machine?

I know what they are after and they can't do **** with it...even if they get it.

yermom
1/29/2010, 07:43 PM
i'm just saying that your credit and SSN is part of the stuff that can be attacked via the internet

StoopTroup
1/29/2010, 07:47 PM
i'm just saying that your credit and SSN is part of the stuff that can be attacked via the internet

Not mine....lol

I got an internet condom with a lock on it. :pop:

GKeeper316
1/30/2010, 05:54 AM

ya thats a nasty piece of work that is deceptively called "Antivirus System Pro"

some info on it and how to permanently get rid of it...

http://remove-malware.net/how-to-remove-antivirus-system-pro-rogue-anti-spyware/

there is an even nastier version of it i ran into about a month ago that works as a total registry hijacker. its insane.

Crucifax Autumn
1/30/2010, 07:31 AM
I don't know if you are talking about the same one I encountered, but the bastard does all the same crap as the "original" and then disables control-alt-delete, blocks the control panel entirely, blocks the ability to pull up any kind of prompt OR run command, disables USB drives/memory sticks (except to infect those drive too!), disables CD/DVD drives entirely (which combined with the usb drive thing makes it near impossible to do any last minute backup), disables system restore, shuts down any REAL AV/anti malware, serves up major popup intrusions, redirects your browser home page and default search, disables the ability to download, won't allow online virus scanners like Housecall, and blocks the ability to boot into Safe Mode OR a command prompt.

As you probably realize, that makes the removal instruction you linked utterly useless! Unless someone has come up with a new removal tool, the only way out is a total reformat as far as I could tell. I didn't try placing the hard drive in another machine as a non-boot drive...For fear of infecting ANOTHER machine.

It sucks BAD. Luckily, I only encoutered that POS on a friend's laptop and the boss's computer at my old job and not on my machine since there's no way in hell I'd ok some popup BS talling me to grab this "great" antivirus program.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/30/2010, 07:52 AM
looks like the new version of Kaspersky has some issues...

http://www.amazon.com/review/R35HJ84K0N2WD4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R35HJ84K0N2WD4

Crucifax Autumn
1/30/2010, 09:21 AM
If you look close though, a bunch of other people gave it 5 star reviews and praised the crap out of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-2010-3-User/product-reviews/B002I0HJRM/ref=cm_rdp_hist_hdr_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It has an average rating of 4.5/5

So who knows really? I know I've never had any issues with their stuff, but based on the mixed reviews I'd say use at your own risk, but I'd honestly say that of most of the full featured ones until they have a few patches released.

stonecoldsoonerfan
1/30/2010, 10:33 AM
seems like several people liked the 2009 version alot more than the 2010 version.

Scott D
1/30/2010, 10:37 AM
There may have been a few minor things that 2009 did that 2010 does differently, but to me it operates the same. Then again, I got directed to Kaspersky by a techie geek type who swore by it. I have no complaints with 2010 at all.

StoopTroup
1/30/2010, 01:00 PM
ya thats a nasty piece of work that is deceptively called "Antivirus System Pro"

some info on it and how to permanently get rid of it...

http://remove-malware.net/how-to-remove-antivirus-system-pro-rogue-anti-spyware/

there is an even nastier version of it i ran into about a month ago that works as a total registry hijacker. its insane.

That's exactly what I used.

SPEK because IMO...that is good advice.

GKeeper316
1/30/2010, 03:43 PM
I don't know if you are talking about the same one I encountered, but the bastard does all the same crap as the "original" and then disables control-alt-delete, blocks the control panel entirely, blocks the ability to pull up any kind of prompt OR run command, disables USB drives/memory sticks (except to infect those drive too!), disables CD/DVD drives entirely (which combined with the usb drive thing makes it near impossible to do any last minute backup), disables system restore, shuts down any REAL AV/anti malware, serves up major popup intrusions, redirects your browser home page and default search, disables the ability to download, won't allow online virus scanners like Housecall, and blocks the ability to boot into Safe Mode OR a command prompt.

As you probably realize, that makes the removal instruction you linked utterly useless! Unless someone has come up with a new removal tool, the only way out is a total reformat as far as I could tell. I didn't try placing the hard drive in another machine as a non-boot drive...For fear of infecting ANOTHER machine.

It sucks BAD. Luckily, I only encoutered that POS on a friend's laptop and the boss's computer at my old job and not on my machine since there's no way in hell I'd ok some popup BS talling me to grab this "great" antivirus program.

if you boot in safe mode, you can run your anit-virus software without getting the popup spam and redirects.

or boot in safe mode and do a system restore.

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 04:08 AM
Read my post...There's a variation that somehow keeps you from logging into safe mode.

GKeeper316
1/31/2010, 04:45 AM
Read my post...There's a variation that somehow keeps you from logging into safe mode.

id like to see the source code for it

soonerboomer93
1/31/2010, 05:36 AM
Adobe is a gaping hole. if you can avoid installing Adobe reader or Flash do it :D

you really need to pay attention to updating them

that and Flash ads seem to be what kills my browser the most

my #1 thing to avoid malware is Internet Explorer. INTERNET. EXPLORER. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

i can't stress that i'm not joking.

if you are going to visit questionable sites, ie... pr0n, warez, pirate sites, use Firefox with Adblock and NoScript. it takes a while to get all the sites you use/trust set up, but it also shows you how many places use weird scripts from wherever

i haven't used MS Security Essentials, but i have heard good things, but i also use Linux like 75% of the time

i have been using AVG and had no problems. the problems seem to come from ignoring #1 when people bring me computers to fix.

the other thing is that once you are infected, you might as well assume your AV program is playing for the other team. boot from a thumb drive or CD to really clean your system.

IE 8 isn't that bad. It's security features, with phishing filters and protected mode really help. I wish it had adblock, but it doesn't process things and support add ons in the same way as Firefox.

IE 8 also runs each tab as a seperate process in it's own sandbox. Does firefox support each tab in a sandbox yet?

You're right though, the biggest security hole on the net is Flash.

soonerboomer93
1/31/2010, 05:41 AM
seems like several people liked the 2009 version alot more than the 2010 version.

I haven't had any problems with it on either my own computers or my parents. I don't like the interface as much as the 2009 version, but I haven't noticed any issues.

yermom
1/31/2010, 02:01 PM
IE 8 isn't that bad. It's security features, with phishing filters and protected mode really help. I wish it had adblock, but it doesn't process things and support add ons in the same way as Firefox.

IE 8 also runs each tab as a seperate process in it's own sandbox. Does firefox support each tab in a sandbox yet?

You're right though, the biggest security hole on the net is Flash.

Firefox doesn't yet for some reason. i've been using Chrome a lot lately for that reason.

Flash needs to drastically change or die

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 02:29 PM
Silly question, but I'd like an answer from someone on this one.

*looks at yermom*

What precisely is the problem with Flash ( I know this part, but for the sake of conversation answer it) and why the hell can't they make it safer? If they aren't making it safetr then why are their constant updates and seemingly multiple flash programs. You keep saying these things without explaining it so maybe everyone will know why you hate it, particularly those of us that just cain't live without our youtubin' and streaming porn. lol

yermom
1/31/2010, 03:12 PM
here is an example. if you want more detail, i might be able to find it for you. they read about the same for Adobe Reader (pdf vs swf files)

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA09-343A.html

my everyday complaints about Flash are more about performance though. lots of other video players are adapting to use processors and GPUs more efficiently, but Flash is lagging behind.

yet, that is what has taken over to play video and subject us to ads. it wouldn't quite be as bad if it was only videos i wanted to play.

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 03:47 PM
As far as streaming content goes, what are the performance issues? Are you saying that there are other video streams that actually really use the video capabilities of my computer for better pictures or better performance? I'm not real big on knowledge about video aside from gaming, which of course doesn't depend on a stream and obviously uses all the crap I spend so much money staying at the forefront on. I guess I just don't know **** about this aspect, but I'd like to have the best performance possible so if there is better I'd like to watch stuff in higher quality or with better performanc eif I find the same vid streamed in a better way.

This post makes no sense, but hopefully you can translate Sunday morning Drunkenese.

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 03:48 PM
You know what pisses me off about flash? When I update to the newest version and sites tell me I can't play the flash video because I need to update to the newest version! lol

OU-HSV
8/1/2010, 10:12 AM
between avg free edition and malwarebytes i have yet to run into a virus i couldnt handle.

if your web browser is still getting hung up, it may not be due to your security features.

i spent 3 days last week finding a simple fix to locked up browser problems.

try this. open adobe reader > edit > preferences > internet > deselect the display pdf in browser window option and reboot.

i recommend doing that even if you arent having problems. it will correct a potential hickup with you system when reading pdfs. basically pdf reader doesnt get the command to shut down its .exe when you close the browser page and starts eating up massive amounts of processor resources to try and read pdfs that arent even there.

also download a free registry cleaner. i use abexo

Abexo free registry cleaner isn't supported by Vista. Does anyone know a free registry cleaner that works w/Vista?

RADsooner
8/1/2010, 11:18 AM
I use NOD32 and malwarebytes

GrapevineSooner
8/1/2010, 12:33 PM
As a tech, I don't care for it when I'm trying to remote to somebody's machine because it just bogs everything down to the point where I've got to try and scroll down on the browser on the remote machine until the flash animation no longer appears.

Let alone, the security vulnerabilities that it possesses.

OU_Sooners75
8/1/2010, 01:43 PM
Free: AVG or Avast
Pay Bit Defender Total Security Suite

SoonerKnight
8/1/2010, 10:22 PM

If you don't use windows you won't get an infection! :D