PDA

View Full Version : Associated Press: Not All Star Players Bolt for the NBA

SoonerShark
1/29/2010, 04:44 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35129728/ns/sports-college_basketball/

"If you can get a guy that can come for one year, like a Carmelo Anthony, and you can build around him for a season and win a national championship, it makes a whole lot of sense," Purdue coach Matt Painter said.

That is sleazy coach talk. Fire that punk. He has no priorities. Team work is not one year and out. College experiences are journeys, not sprints. The rent-a-player mentality ruins what colleges are supposed to stand for by any measure. Programs with one and out players like Carmelo Anthony, Michael Beasley or Kevin Durant at Syracuse, Kansas State or Texas respectively should be penalized for two and possibly three years by not being able to fill their abandoned slots and a loss of games won by the transient talent's efforts. Even Oklahoma should be penalized for a two years and out player like Blake Griffin.

SoonerShark
1/29/2010, 04:51 AM
Bringing in players like Xavier Henry at Kansas who has not even unpacked his bags in Lawrence or the one-and-out guys above is no better than bringing in a ringer in an otherwise amateur league. It detracts from a game that should be amazed by a Hollis Price or Eduardo Najera story at Oklahoma not honoring the Carmelo Anthonys of the world with golden trophies.

SoonerShark
1/29/2010, 04:56 AM
Bus drivers enroute spent more time in Austin than Kevin Durant has, yet he keeps hanging onto that Texas crap. I think that he is a good kid, but give it up...you have no more University ties than a person whose only attachment to a school is buying a t-shirt and a season ticket one season.

SoonerShark
1/29/2010, 04:57 AM
"Sure I'm a bum. But I'm a Harvard bum."

Collier11
1/29/2010, 05:05 AM
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, and dumb...as a coach you have 1 job. WIN! If you graduate players that is all good but I guarantee you that ADs care more about championships than anything else

Collier11
1/29/2010, 05:06 AM
On top of that, if Carmelo, Lebron, Kobe, Durant, or any of those guys want to come to OU for 1 year, im all aboard

Eielson
1/29/2010, 05:07 AM
I was all ready to respond to this, but this has to be a joke, right? You can't possibly believe this, can you?

sooner518
1/29/2010, 10:39 AM
so punish the schools for a decision a player makes? im not following. this thread is a pretty epic fail

IronHorseSooner
1/29/2010, 12:07 PM
Most SU folks, as much as they liked what Melo did in helping him win a championship, regard him as a royal d*****bag. Yes, he did give back to the school, but most viewed that as paying penance for everything else that he did. Now, Gerry McNamara is regarded as a BBALL god up amongst the locals, and rightfully so. Why? Because he stayed and won another Big East crow. Now, he wasn't NBA material, but he was their Hollis Price.

yankee
1/29/2010, 04:22 PM
Bus drivers enroute spent more time in Austin than Kevin Durant has, yet he keeps hanging onto that Texas crap. I think that he is a good kid, but give it up...you have no more University ties than a person whose only attachment to a school is buying a t-shirt and a season ticket one season.

actually i'm pretty sure he's trying to get a plan together to graduate from texas.

starrca23
1/29/2010, 08:35 PM
Epic fail is right.

yermom
1/29/2010, 09:17 PM
Most SU folks, as much as they liked what Melo did in helping him win a championship, regard him as a royal d*****bag. Yes, he did give back to the school, but most viewed that as paying penance for everything else that he did. Now, Gerry McNamara is regarded as a BBALL god up amongst the locals, and rightfully so. Why? Because he stayed and won another Big East crow. Now, he wasn't NBA material, but he was their Hollis Price.

i really enjoyed watching McNamara play that year Syracuse became NCAA and Big 12 champs and thought the same thing.

i remember their coach cussing out the press about him a couple years later :D

yermom
1/29/2010, 09:21 PM
i agree with the sentiment of the OP though. i think one and done is stupid. why make them wait to go to the NBA at all?

OUmillenium
1/29/2010, 11:47 PM
As much as I have ripped on Kelvin for not getting McD's All Americans, he was great at getting 4 year guys and JCs and turning them into highly competitive teams.

starrca23
1/30/2010, 09:13 AM
Holy Crap guys. The rule is not for Blake Griffin or Melo. It is for guys like this:
Korleone Young, Hargrave Military Academy, Chatham, Virginia (1998)
Leon Smith, Martin Luther King High School, Chicago, Illinois (2001)
Ousmane Cisse, Saint Jude Montgomery High School, Montgomery, Alabama
Ndudi Ebi, Westbury Christian School, Houston, Texas (2003)
James Lang, Central Park Christian High School, Birmingham, Alabama (2006)
Gerald Green, Gulf Shores Academy, Houston, Texas (2006)

Out of the 30+ guys that went high school to pro one and only one (LeBron) was ready. Go look at Kobe, KG, T-Mac and D. Howard's stats the first three years. And don't give me the: that's the GM's fault line. This rule was created to protect young men that weren't really ready from being exploited by people that just saw them as a meal ticket. You guys are just as selfish. You just care about your team being good for longer than a year. This thread is starting to give the term "Epic Fail" a bad name.

And by the way, Both Willie Warren and Blake Griffin could have been 1st round after year one and stayed to learn more. They turned down money. Say what you want (even with Willie's supposed attitude problems) I am glad they are Sooners.

rawlingsHOH
1/30/2010, 09:39 PM
I'm for less rules.

If they can fight for the country, they should be able to play pro ball.

Statalyzer
2/4/2010, 06:13 PM
think that he is a good kid, but give it up...you have no more University ties than a person whose only attachment to a school is buying a t-shirt and a season ticket one season.

Except for the "actually attended school there" part, yes, that's exactly right.

Collier11
2/4/2010, 06:45 PM
i agree with the sentiment of the OP though. i think one and done is stupid. why make them wait to go to the NBA at all?

See I think they should do what baseball does, you either go out of HS or you stay 2 years (I think its 2?)

JLEW1818
2/4/2010, 06:46 PM
3, or 2 with a RS .. same as football

or be 21 by the time of the draft, or if your "21" by a certain date

I'm good friends with Kyle Russell... idk if you know him. He played for UT 2006-2008, he got drafted his Sophomore year b/c he was "old enough"

Collier11
2/4/2010, 06:50 PM
There ya have it, but I do like the going straight out of HS part, just add that to what football does and it would be great

JLEW1818
2/4/2010, 06:51 PM
It would make the College game so much better.

Collier11
2/4/2010, 06:52 PM
It def would and it would be easier on the coaches to manage the stupid azz APR thing they have now academically

SoonerShark
2/4/2010, 07:02 PM
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, and dumb...as a coach you have 1 job. WIN! If you graduate players that is all good but I guarantee you that ADs care more about championships than anything else

The athletics department should not dictate the aims of the University. The University of Oklahoma is an academic institution, not solely an athletic training facility. One or two and out diminishes the purpose of the institutions. Those who spent years of study for Bachelor's and Master's Degrees and Doctoral Degrees or J.D.s or M.D.s are the reason the Universities are here. "One and out" is inherently reflective of a lack of academic character.

Collier11
2/4/2010, 07:04 PM
It has been that way for decades, you really think the Presidents of schools really care?

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2010, 08:06 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35129728/ns/sports-college_basketball/

"If you can get a guy that can come for one year, like a Carmelo Anthony, and you can build around him for a season and win a national championship, it makes a whole lot of sense," Purdue coach Matt Painter said.

That is sleazy coach talk. Fire that punk. He has no priorities. Team work is not one year and out. College experiences are journeys, not sprints. The rent-a-player mentality ruins what colleges are supposed to stand for by any measure. Programs with one and out players like Carmelo Anthony, Michael Beasley or Kevin Durant at Syracuse, Kansas State or Texas respectively should be penalized for two and possibly three years by not being able to fill their abandoned slots and a loss of games won by the transient talent's efforts. Even Oklahoma should be penalized for a two years and out player like Blake Griffin.

Should the NCAA do the same for Football?

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2010, 08:13 AM
The athletics department should not dictate the aims of the University. The University of Oklahoma is an academic institution, not solely an athletic training facility. One or two and out diminishes the purpose of the institutions. Those who spent years of study for Bachelor's and Master's Degrees and Doctoral Degrees or J.D.s or M.D.s are the reason the Universities are here. "One and out" is inherently reflective of a lack of academic character.

Do you really think the administrators for any college cares?

When a one and done players comes into town, they sell tickets! People want to watch that player. So they make money off of that player.

I like the NBA for what they have done. It is bad enough that these kids get exploited at that age. But at least they are trying to slow it down.

NormanPride
2/5/2010, 11:42 AM
How is it reflective of lack of academic character? People drop out all the time and nobody gives a ****. But if they drop out and go play pro ball, then we're supposed to feel like less of a University? This argument is pathetic in so many ways.