PDA

View Full Version : RIP Miramax

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 01:17 AM
From Empire Online:

It sprang to life in 1979 as the brainchild of bullish movie producers Harvey and Bob Weinstein, and was named after their parents, but after a slow death from thousands of cuts, Miramax was officially closed today by Disney.

During its early years, the Weinsteins scrappily kept the ship afloat, shoved boundaries and helped bring the world the likes of Sex, Lies And Videotape, Clerks, The Piano, Reservoir Dogs, The Crying Game and The English Patient.

Rumours of the Weinsteins' bullying tactics and hard demeanor were rife, but they certainly seemed to have a keen eye for talent and an understanding of how to channel that into success.

Though it was bought for $70 million by Disney in 1993, the brothers continued to run Miramax with an enviable level of creative control, and pushed their already legendary Oscar-hunting style to new heights with the expanded funding offered by the Mouse House. Among the successes as winners or nominees were Shakespeare In Love, Chicago and The Talented Mr Ripley.

But money was also a constant problem, and the Weinsteins began to clash with Michael Eisner. In 2005, Bob and Harvey left the company, forced to let go of the Miramax named and formed The Weinstein Company, which currently struggles with financing issues.

"Miramax wasn't just a bad-boy clubhouse, it was a 20th century Olympus: throw a can of Diet Coke and you hit a modern-day deity," recalls Kevin Smith at The Wrap. "And for one brief, shining moment, it was an age of magic and wonders. I'm crushed to see it pass into history, because I owe everything I have to Miramax. Without them, I'd still be a New Jersey convenience store register jockey. In practice, not just in my head."

"I'm feeling very nostalgic right now," Harvey tells the site. "I know the movies made on my and my brother Bob's watch will live on as well as the fantastic films made under the direction of Daniel Battsek. Miramax has some brilliant people working within the organization and I know they will go on to do great things in the industry."

All that remains now is to think of the children - along with 80 people losing their jobs in New York and LA, the six movies still under the banner, including The Tempest and The Debt, face an uncertain future.

Miramax, then… Gone, but not forgotten.

King Crimson
1/29/2010, 01:28 AM
i guess that's a loss. but Miramax also put out a lot flicks where falling in love in Italy was different than falling in love in Detroit. same formula, but "romanticized" where having a latte sounded good at the so-called arthouse theatre for english majors in their 30's. props to Disney for finding that demographic and pandering to it.

one of the great jokes of the last 10 years is the middle brow, so-called indie film craze. woooooo, sundance.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 01:53 AM
All the costume drama crap I never cared for, they are however, the company that gave us Clerks, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill!

SteelClip49
1/29/2010, 02:03 AM
only 1 good movie there

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 02:19 AM
And which one would that be?

King Crimson
1/29/2010, 02:29 AM
And which one would that be?

probably Chicago.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 03:03 AM
I assumed he was referring to my very short list. I'm not exactly of the belief that IMDB means much, but let's just play with that list I made:

Clerks - 8/10
Reservoir Dogs - 8.4/10 #64 movie all-time
Pulp Fiction - 8.9/10 #5 movie all-time
Jackie Brown - 7.6/10
Kill Bill vol 1 - 8.2/10 #134 movie all-time
Kill Bill vol. 2 - 8/10 #203 movie all-time

Let's go ahead and add the other Tarantino movie:

Inglorious Basterds - 8.4/10 #69 movie all-time

Other notable Miramax releases IMO:

Chasing Amy - 7.5/10
Dogma - 7.3/10
No Country for Old Men - 8.3/10 # 112
There Will Be Blood - 8.2/10 #129
Gone Baby Gone - 7.9/10
Good Will Hunting - 8.1/10 #195
Sling Blade - 8/10
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 7.8/10

And so on....

SteelClip49
1/29/2010, 03:51 AM
well poop....of the ones you mentioned, definitely Pulp Fiction.

I highly respect Reservoir Dogs but it just wasn't my thing.

Kill Bill movies made me yawn.

Definitely favor Inglorious Basterds, NC4OM and GWH.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 04:07 AM
Not all their movies are for everyone, but they released some good ones from a lot of talented people.

CrimsonandCreamForever
1/29/2010, 11:38 AM
Gone Baby Gone was wayyy underappreciated, IMO.

PS - The Weinsteins said they'd be interested in buying it back if the opportunity presented itself.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/29/2010, 11:48 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/RoKTfJVMngI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/PZN_4yyIobA/s320/karlchilders.jpg

mhmmm..

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 12:19 PM
Gone Baby Gone was wayyy underappreciated, IMO.

PS - The Weinsteins said they'd be interested in buying it back if the opportunity presented itself.

I loved the movie myself. The mood and feel of the movie was fantastic.

The Weinsteins should get it back, but their biggest priority right now needs to be figuring out how to market their movies again. They've been utterly failing at that recently.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 12:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ph8V052fCNE/RoKTfJVMngI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/PZN_4yyIobA/s320/karlchilders.jpg

mhmmm..

Biscuits and mustard. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/29/2010, 12:26 PM

mhmmm..I banged Angelina...mhmm...some folks call it sexin, I call it bangin...mmhmm

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 12:32 PM
He will never have a more memorable character.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/29/2010, 12:36 PM
I pulled my pants down....and she said what you gona do with that Karl...I said I aim to poke you with it..mmmmhmmm

yermom
1/30/2010, 03:24 AM
and deep too

Crucifax Autumn
1/30/2010, 03:48 AM
And Sheep Too: A Poke's Tale

Another of Miramax's lovely period pieces. Mickey McGumby, a rugged porcupine of a man struggles against the special prejudice of his time as he fights an emotional battle against neighbors and carpetbaggers alike to win the hand of his one true love, Caralinda von Buggles the grandaughter of woolie slaves during the dustbowl era of Oklahoma.

Roger Ebert raves: "I mas moved, and even enlightened, by this stunning epic of a forgotten history of bigotry and interspecies mistrust. I laughed, I cried...I ate buttery popcorn."

Rex Reed: "A masterpiece and an instant classic! Not since The Grapes of Wrath has this moment of rugged determination been so masterfully portrayed. 5 Stars!"