PDA

View Full Version : You know you're old when nobody RIPs JD Salinger

jaux
1/28/2010, 03:47 PM
sniff sniff
I always thought Holden was a stupid name.

yermom
1/28/2010, 03:50 PM
i didn't realize he was still alive :O

delhalew
1/28/2010, 03:53 PM
I thought about. I was kinda hoping somebody else would do it. So...thank you!

Oldnslo
1/28/2010, 04:05 PM
I was half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can.

C&CDean
1/28/2010, 04:08 PM
You know, I'm a fairly well-read guy. I've got shelves and shelves of novels, and quite a lot of non-fiction fare. I've read War & Peace, Gone With the Wind, etc.

Is it wrong that I never read Catcher in the Rye, or that I didn't know who JD Salinger was until I just googled him? And I'm old too. Weird.

Stitch Face
1/28/2010, 04:28 PM
You know, I'm a fairly well-read guy. I've got shelves and shelves of novels, and quite a lot of non-fiction fare. I've read War & Peace, Gone With the Wind, etc.

Is it wrong that I never read Catcher in the Rye, or that I didn't know who JD Salinger was until I just googled him? And I'm old too. Weird.

If you haven't read it already, don't risk it. You might go shoot up a joint or blow some **** up afterward.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 04:37 PM
If you haven't read it already, don't risk it. You might go shoot up a joint or blow some **** up afterward.

For those not getting that joke, the ahole who shot John Lennon had a copy of Catcher on his person. As well as some other weirdos over the past 50 years. Somebody who's memory is working right now could prolly produce some names.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2010, 04:41 PM
My 7th grade English teacher insisted that I read Catcher in the Rye. I never understood it. I never figured out what a bratty, little foul-mouthed boy in NYC had anything to do with me. Did he drive a tractor? Did he work in the hay fields? Did he have to feed the cows after school? If it is a classic, it just completely sailed over my head.

RIP J.D. Salinger.

Stitch Face
1/28/2010, 04:44 PM
For those not getting that joke, the ahole who shot John Lennon had a copy of Catcher on his person. As well as some other weirdos over the past 50 years. Somebody who's memory is working right now could prolly produce some names.

The restaurant shooter (you know, that one) had a copy with him.

LosAngelesSooner
1/28/2010, 04:44 PM
It's a classic. RIP, JD.

BillyBall
1/28/2010, 04:54 PM
It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.

RIP Mr Salinger.

XingTheRubicon
1/28/2010, 08:13 PM
catch baby, catch baby in the rye.

One of my all time favorites. I still crack up about how much HC loves his lil sister Phoebe because she's the only person on earth that doesn't make him uneasy.

Zbird
1/28/2010, 08:59 PM

Yeah it's wrong.

BermudaSooner
1/28/2010, 09:08 PM
It's a classic. RIP, JD.

Finally, I knew there was something we'd eventually agree on.

King Crimson
1/28/2010, 09:18 PM
Catcher is pretty good. if you've encountered anyone with the name Zoe, good chance their parents read Salinger.

Salinger, like Thomas Pynchon today, was notoriously private and anonymous as a person. which is rare in our put my ****ing face on TV culture because it means something.

Zbird
1/29/2010, 03:10 PM
sniff sniff
I always thought Holden was a stupid name.

I thought Seymour Glass and Zoey were a little weird, but never gave a thought to Holden.

There was a kopycat book to Catcher that came out a couple years later. It wasn't attributed to Salinger, but I always thought it smelled a little like him. I don't recall the title, but the opening line was "I'm Owen Harrison Harding" and that may have been the title too. Anyway, it had a lot of the same 1950's teen angst as Catcher.

Sooner04
1/29/2010, 03:35 PM
Salinger, like Thomas Pynchon today, was notoriously private and anonymous as a person. which is rare in our put my ****ing face on TV culture because it means something.
Isn't Pynchon just a very private individual? Lots of the stuff you hear about Salinger suggests that guy was bat**** crazy from the early 50s on.

And I've never read Catcher either. Always meant to, just never got around to doing it.