PDA

View Full Version : aight i checked out the state or the union

Jello Biafra
1/28/2010, 12:02 PM
address last night. i didnt watch the whole thing as i feel like there is much *** kissing on those things and it looks like a made for tv movie....

it just seems weird to me that grown *** men would stand and clap for over a 30 minute period after every other sentence that comes out of the mans mouth.

anyway, not that i have watched many of these or a whole bunch last night but i happened to catch the part where osama said something to the affect of we have reinstituted the dont ask dont tell policy for the military.......everyone is on thier feet clapping, camera pans over to the brass in attendance. every single one of them is stone faced staring blankly ahead no emotion no clapping nothing....i giggled for about 20 seconds...

OklahomaTuba
1/28/2010, 12:05 PM
I flipped it on for a sec, right when he was mentioning something about ending the war in Iraq.

No mention of who won it though.

MrJimBeam
1/28/2010, 12:11 PM
Has a President ever openly criticized SCOTUS in a forum like last night? You know tradition keeps the SCOTUS justices and the Joints Chiefs of Staff from showing displeasure or agreement with what the President says.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 12:13 PM
It was bizarre. He come off as a schiztophrenic. I was wondering how many of him were in there.

Also, why don't politicians fact check they're own speeches BEFORE they give them. They would come off a lot less dooshy.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 12:18 PM
Has a President ever openly criticized SCOTUS in a forum like last night? You know tradition keeps the SCOTUS justices and the Joints Chiefs of Staff from showing displeasure or agreement with what the President says.

Except that during his critizism saying the SCOTUS descision would allow foreign companies to interfere in our elections, you could clearly see Justice Alito say "that's not true".

OklahomaTuba
1/28/2010, 12:23 PM
Has a President ever openly criticized SCOTUS in a forum like last night?I'm sure FDR probably did.

Right before he tried to effectively take over that branch of the government.

NormanPride
1/28/2010, 12:23 PM
So what did he say? I don't like listening to the guy, but I want to know the message he put forward.

OklahomaTuba
1/28/2010, 12:28 PM
So what did he say?basically he said "I'm Awesome But You And That Bush Guy Suck".

OklahomaTuba
1/28/2010, 12:31 PM
Spot. On.

"The speech began with an elegant and elevated opening, but quickly descended into scolding and condescension.

He scolded the justices of the Supreme Court in front of their faces and led the entire Democratic side of the aisle into cheering his taunts. The justices sat there stone-faced (save Justice Alito, whose reaction probably betrayed what the rest were thinking).

He scolded Republicans for obstruction and declared “we can’t wage a perpetual campaign” — even as he continued, in his speech, his perpetual campaign against President Bush. The fact is, by this time in their presidencies, both of his predecessors had reached across the aisle to seek opposition support for a major initiative (Clinton on NAFTA, Bush on No Child Left Behind). Obama has not one single significant bipartisan initiative to speak of. He has tried to ram through his agenda along strict party-line votes. But the Republicans are obstructionist.

He scolded Scott Brown (without mentioning his name) and all those who have criticized his handling of the Christmas Day bomber, declaring that “all of us love this country” and warning critics to “put aside the schoolyard taunts about who is tough.” If you disagree with Obama’s policies, you are questioning his patriotism. Imagine what the reaction would have been if Bush had tried that in a State of the Union with those who criticized the surge in Iraq. The howls of the liberal media would have been deafening.

His one moment of “humility” came when he acknowledged his biggest mistake of the past year: his failure to adequately explain his policies to all of us. This was a State of the Union for the slow learners. His message to all of us was: “Let me speak slowly for you.”

It was quite possibly the most partisan, condescending State of the Union address ever. Tonight, Obama was unpresidential. The permanent campaign continues. In the long run it will backfire."

Its already backfired IMO. His Presidency is basically over as he seems to stupid to figure out no one really cares for any of his radical left-wing agenda that he keeps trying to ram down our throats.

And as a result the donks are in complete collapse and the GOP is surging. In one year Dear leader has done something that Dubya only managed to do after 7 years, 2 wars, natural disasters and a recession.

MrJimBeam
1/28/2010, 12:48 PM
Except that during his critizism saying the SCOTUS descision would allow foreign companies to interfere in our elections, you could clearly see Justice Alito say "that's not true".

Bet Alito wishes he could take that back.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 12:54 PM

I hope not. I'm tired of someone who is in the right being compelled to back peddle due to political pressure.

This guy is not king. He can't have you beheaded. Americans are onto him now. It is he who should be worried.

MrJimBeam
1/28/2010, 12:57 PM
I hope not. I'm tired of someone who is in the right being compelled to back peddle due to political pressure.

This guy is not king. He can't have you beheaded. Americans are onto him now. It is he who should be worried.

I would prefer to see the SCOTUS stay above the political fray.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 01:02 PM
He wasn't trying to grandstand. Seemed like an involuntary reaction to being heckled by POTUS and Congress.

King Crimson
1/28/2010, 01:07 PM
how about for integrity sake we post links to extended commentary/quotes. really. it's just honest and shows respect for "objectivity" which i know is a big issue for the OP.

it reflects on the poster when he/she doesn't. source material is a part of intellectual honesty and less a part of preferential reality.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 01:17 PM
how about for integrity sake we post links to extended commentary/quotes. really. it's just honest and shows respect for "objectivity" which i know is a big issue for the OP.

it reflects on the poster when he/she doesn't. source material is a part of intellectual honesty and less a part of preferential reality.

I'm on my BB. I'm just having a discussion. If I were on the laptop, I would have no problem with that.

Look it up. God forbid anybody do their own research.

King Crimson
1/28/2010, 01:29 PM
I'm on my BB. I'm just having a discussion. If I were on the laptop, I would have no problem with that.

Look it up. God forbid anybody do their own research.

i'm talking about Tuba's quote. i'm not going to "research" some half-*** article from Newsmax.com because it was posted at SF.com.'''looking for a source when i know in advance what it will say and where i can buy a USS Ronald Reagan Fleece and coffee mug(tm). it's courtesy and intellectual honesty if you are making a "point" to show your sources. basic.

when you don't do it, it shows that you have no commitment to discourse or, better yet, counter-discourse. the latter being one of Tuba's new themes in his "critique" of partisanship.

delhalew
1/28/2010, 01:36 PM
i'm talking about Tuba's quote. i'm not going to "research" some half-*** article from Newsmax.com because it was posted at SF.com.'''looking for a source when i know in advance what it will say and where i can buy a USS Ronald Reagan Fleece and coffee mug(tm). it's courtesy and intellectual honesty if you are making a "point" to show your sources. basic.

when you don't do it, it shows that you have no commitment to discourse or, better yet, counter-discourse. the latter being one of Tuba's new themes in his "critique" of partisanship.

Oh.:D
As someone who watched the whole speech. I'm not sure that newsmax article was critical enough. Just my opinion.

King Crimson
1/28/2010, 01:40 PM
Oh.:D
As someone who watched the whole speech. I'm not that newsmax article was critical enough. Just my opinion.

i have no problem with your response to it. the world is screwed up, there are a lot of valid ways to explain it. what it there isn't, is a single way to fix it which the perpetual scapegoaters around here claim with a bunch of macho grandstanding about America and the magic coin theories about the free-market.

i don't know if it's newsmax or not...i just using that as an example of the same sort of thing that's been used before. ironically enough, by people who critique media bias and then hide their own?

OklahomaRed
1/28/2010, 04:11 PM
The president needs to quit speaking in platitudes and attacking the past and the present legislators that do not agree with him, as well as the judicial branch if they do not agree with him. The Republic was established in the manner that it is for this very reason, that no one person would ever try to set themselves up as "king". :D

Okla-homey
1/28/2010, 05:41 PM

Naw. Sam has a lifetime appointment. BHO will be gone in three years.

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 12:22 AM
Why is it ok to bash the executive and legislative branches but not the judicial? Not that I advocate useless bashing and infighting at all, but if it's ok in one case I say bash 'em all.