PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Jones WTF?????

Crucifax Autumn
1/28/2010, 01:33 AM
Note the bolded portion:

The world still needs help.

It's been 25 years since Quincy Jones helped gather the biggest names in music to record "We Are the World," but the song is as relevant today as it was then.

Jones confirmed to me today that he's helping spearhead a new recording of the charity song with the proceeds going to help Haiti. The new version will be reorded on Monday in Los Angeles.

"It's the 25th anniversary and it's perfect timing," Jones said at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, where he was celebrating the launch of his new watch collection for Audemars Piguet. "It's not an accident, man. That's God. It will be 'We Are the World' for Haiti."
Jones declined to name which singers have committed themselves, but I can tell you...

The line-up may already include Jennifer Hudson, Will Smith, Jason Mraz, Sugarland, Sheryl Crow and teen sensation Justin Bieber, among others.

"I want to get a final list before I put it out." Jones said.

Director Paul Haggis will likely film Monday's recording session, a source confirms.

The original song, which benefited African famine relief, was written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie and co-produced by Jones and Michael Omartian. It featured Jackson, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, Bob Dylan and Ray Charles.

This isn't Jones' first undertaking to help the disaster-stricken Caribbean nation.

"I have two friends who are donating two half-million dollar power generators," he said. "Another friend…is going to rebuild the [presidential] palace. All his money, his crew and his design so they don't even have to think about it."

Jones' partnership with Audemars Piguet also includes a $1 million donation from the watch company to the Quincy Jones Foundation.

Seriously???? So God was sitting around on his throne of clouds, got bored and thought "Oh wow man! It's the 25th anniversary of 'We Are The World'! I think I'll kill a couple of hundred thousand people, cause endless suffering, orphan untold numbers of kids, and create general misery to celebrate the anniversary!"

:rolleyes:

47straight
1/28/2010, 02:22 PM
I don't care, his daughter is unbelievably good looking.

yermom
1/28/2010, 02:42 PM
I don't care, his daughter is unbelievably good looking.

i had no idea that's who she was until recently. it makes some of the stuff Michael says to/about her on the Office that much funnier/awful that she's half black

and yeah, that's pretty dumb thing to say, all around. his heart's probably in the right place though

that ought to be a hot iTunes download...

King Crimson
1/28/2010, 02:49 PM
Note the bolded portion:

Seriously???? So God was sitting around on his throne of clouds, got bored and thought "Oh wow man! It's the 25th anniversary of 'We Are The World'! I think I'll kill a couple of hundred thousand people, cause endless suffering, orphan untold numbers of kids, and create general misery to celebrate the anniversary!"

:rolleyes:

you didn't know that famine and natural catastrophe work on a 25 year schedule ordained by the failing genius of Q?

that's how it is, yo.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2010, 02:54 PM
it seems God would have done something around the 25th anniversary of Thriller

ouleaf
1/28/2010, 03:15 PM
The line-up may already include Jennifer Hudson, Will Smith, Jason Mraz, Sugarland, Sheryl Crow and teen sensation Justin Bieber, among others.

Really??? You have to be able to do better than that. That's not even close to talent of the original group that recorded.

King Crimson
1/28/2010, 03:17 PM
Really??? You have to be able to do better than that. That's not even close to talent of the original group that recorded.

either way, yawn.

does "talent" equal "on TV". it's just the same star principle, the secular aristocracy of the magazine rack and MTV.

goingoneight
1/28/2010, 04:09 PM
it seems God would have done something around the 25th anniversary of Thriller

He waited a couple years to murder Michael Jackson.

proud gonzo
1/28/2010, 04:35 PM
yay, lets attack a musical legend trying to do a good deed because of an unfortunate and likely out-of-context quote! Woohoo!

Crucifax Autumn
1/29/2010, 12:31 AM
What context could he say that in that would be acceptable? It's almost as stupid as a Pat Roberton quote.