PDA

View Full Version : Six team members foul out!

msteudem
1/27/2010, 08:59 PM
:eek: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Seattle-shows-sympathy-for-Pac-10-plays-with-ju?urn=ncaab,216027

The struggling University of Washington Huskies got back on the winning track Tuesday night with a 123-76 thrashing of Seattle University after coach Cameron Dollar's Seattle team (yes, that Cameron Dollar, the former UCLA point guard) found itself in some serious foul trouble.

The worst kind, in fact. The Redhawks had to resort to pick-up rules over the final minute and a half, even though fielding a team of four players is allowed.

Because six Seattle players fouled out, Dollar chose to play the final 1:27 with four players instead of burning the redshirt of freshman Adam Eakles.
The decision to not play Eakles is the right one, by the way. There's no sense giving up a year of a player's eligibility deep into a blowout loss. But still ... six players fouling out? That's 30 fouls. That's effort, folks!

Basketball Prospectus gives us a deeper look at what exactly went on and how Seattle could've avoided some embarassment.

Less than three minutes into the second half, veteran Pac-10 official Dick Cartmell called both Dollar and [Washington coach Lorenzo] Romar to center court to deliver an impromptu lecture. Dollar wanted no part of Cartmell's message, which according to Romar was that the refereeing crew would not ease up on the whistle no matter how many fouls were committed. Cartmell wasn't exaggerating, and thus fans were treated to one of the longest halves of basketball you will ever see.

When you're 9-12 and recently made the transition to Division I, I suppose new tactics must be implemented. At the very least, this team keeps it interesting.

ouleaf
1/28/2010, 09:42 AM
Was it Golden State that recently ran into an issue like this. I think I heard that they were on the road somewhere and only dressed 8 guys. They had 3 guys foul out and then a 4th one fouled out as well.

I think the rule is that when you only have 5 players available and one of them fouls out, that last person to foul out can remain in the game, but each foul he commits after that results in a technical foul against the team. I guess its a means for the game to still remain competitive. Can you imagine what it would be like for an NBA team to play with only 4 players. They would more than likely get destroyed.

Anyone else hear about this?

Sooner98
1/28/2010, 01:04 PM
I remember several years ago watching a Clemson/North Carolina game where Clemson was down to four players at the end. It was surreal, like watching a playground game.

caesarscott
1/29/2010, 12:47 AM
that's awesome,

signed Coach Norman Dale,
Hickory, Indiana