PDA

View Full Version : Addressing issues of water quality in Oklahoma (opinion piece from the Oklahoman)

Fraggle145
1/27/2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3434908?searched=water%20quality&custom_click=search

Addressing issues of water quality
Point of view: Let’s be good stewards of the land
BY CLAY POPE The Oklahoman Comments Comment on this article6
Published: January 27, 2010

Water is our most precious resource. You can live about five weeks without food — you won’t last five days without water. That’s why recent Oklahoman articles quoting a report from the Oklahoma Water Resources Board showing that only one in 10 of our lakes are considered at the high end of purity should make us all concerned.

Clearly we have a lot of work to do to. The good news, however, is that Oklahoma’s farmers and ranchers, in partnership with the state and federal government, are already taking action to turn this situation around.

Currently, more than $37 million has been dedicated for non-point runoff control through the Oklahoma Conservation Commission’s water quality efforts in conjunction with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, the USDA Farm Services Agency Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, the EPA Clean Water Act 319 Program, local conservation districts and the Water Resources Board Revolving Loan Program. Through these efforts, the conservation partnership is working with landowners to address runoff in areas such as the North Canadian River watershed, the Eucha-Spavanaw watershed, the Illinois River watershed and the Fort Cobb watershed.

In these and other watersheds, agriculture producers are switching to practices like no-till farming to control runoff and soil erosion. They’re fencing off miles of vegetative buffers to control nutrient and bacteria in the water and to keep livestock out of the streams. Marginal land is being converted to grass. Improved pasture management and manure handling practices are being implemented. All this through voluntary efforts often started by the local landowners themselves and which the landowners "cost-share” with, putting money out of their own pockets into the program.

Does this work? Already we have seen reductions of more than 60 percent in the nutrient loading in parts of the Illinois River and the Eucha-Spavinaw watersheds. In the next few weeks, we will be hearing about streams throughout Oklahoma that have been "de-listed” by the EPA, meaning that while they were once considered polluted, they now are considered clean because of the work done by the landowners in the watersheds. We should be proud of this, but more needs to be done.

Through the work of the Conservation Commission, NRCS and local conservation districts, we’re making headway in water quality, but it costs money. Oklahoma has never undertaken a 319 program where the money hasn’t run out before we ran out of landowners who wanted to work to address the problem.

Oklahoma landowners learned the hard way during the Dust Bowl what happens when we don’t care for our environment. We have to make sure during today’s tight state budgets we keep working with these stewards of the land to address water quality issues the same way we’ve always addressed soil conservation — through voluntary, locally led conservation efforts. If we do, we can ensure that when we say we have water, water everywhere, it will be protected.

Pope is executive director of the Oklahoma Association of Conservation Districts.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3434908?searched=water%20quality&custom_click=search#ixzz0dqFSij6K

Chuck Bao
1/27/2010, 03:05 PM
Fraggle, I am waiting for your opinion on this.

The Daily Oklahoman produces a lot of fluff pieces and its editorials are not normally known as hard-hitting stuff. Is the article inspired by threats to cut the state budget for the local conservation districts? If so, kudos to the Daily Oklahoman.

Planting vegetative buffers in run-off streams shouldn't cost that much, should it? Okay, what are they talking about here? Do we have indigenous water plants that can take care of some of the nutrient loading in the steams? Can we get high school biology students to go plant these water vegetables in the run-off streams? Surely landowners wouldn't object to that.

Fencing off livestock from the run-off streams seems strange to me. How far must the fence be if the run-off of pastures go into the run-off streams? I knew that cow farts added to global warming, I didn't know that cow patties getting washed into our water supply was such a problem. Okay, the chicken farm thing, I knew about.

I always thought that the main threat was the run-off of the chemis from fertilizers. A fence won't help that. No-till farming is something I have no experience with. I spent about a third of my early teenage years on a tractor. Does the article imply that I didn't have to?

Now, shoot me down.

Fraggle145
1/27/2010, 04:17 PM
Fraggle, I am waiting for your opinion on this.

The Daily Oklahoman produces a lot of fluff pieces and its editorials are not normally known as hard-hitting stuff. Is the article inspired by threats to cut the state budget for the local conservation districts? If so, kudos to the Daily Oklahoman.

Planting vegetative buffers in run-off streams shouldn't cost that much, should it? Okay, what are they talking about here? Do we have indigenous water plants that can take care of some of the nutrient loading in the steams? Can we get high school biology students to go plant these water vegetables in the run-off streams? Surely landowners wouldn't object to that.

Fencing off livestock from the run-off streams seems strange to me. How far must the fence be if the run-off of pastures go into the run-off streams? I knew that cow farts added to global warming, I didn't know that cow patties getting washed into our water supply was such a problem. Okay, the chicken farm thing, I knew about.

I always thought that the main threat was the run-off of the chemis from fertilizers. A fence won't help that. No-till farming is something I have no experience with. I spent about a third of my early teenage years on a tractor. Does the article imply that I didn't have to?

Now, shoot me down.
Is the article inspired by threats to cut the state budget for the local conservation districts? I'm not sure but I am with you; that if so, kudos to the Daily Oklahoman. I think its just saying we need to keep up the good work and that it is having effects.

The cow patties arent as a big of a problem because they tend to be dispersed over large areas. Chicken and pork are typically all farmed in one place and then they spray the waste out over the fields. When it rains there is so much waste that the ground cant absorb it all and it washes into the rivers. The cows have a larger effect by causing soil erosion by wallowing through the rivers. This is more of a problem in Western OK. It is a huge problem in states like Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. And with the soil comes any nutrients that it has trapped.

The chemicals from fertilizers like Nitrogen and Phosporus are what supply all the resource for eutrophication. Basically high production of algae and bacteria.

The larger the riparian area or vegetative area around the stream is more natural, the better it is for the stream. So targeted efforts by landowners and local/state government should be able to do it. But we have A LOT of rivers in Oklahoma. And we have a lot of agriculture, so it is probably a bigger job than we realize. The good part is right now because of or relatively low population size we can put a lot of this kind of stuff in place before it gets to a problem that is almost too big to be fixed.

Fraggle145
1/27/2010, 04:27 PM
Also I'm not sure what the no-till farming is either? :confused: anyone else help us out?

Partial Qualifier
1/27/2010, 05:01 PM
Fraggle, do you know: what are our cleanest lakes? The "1-in-10" on the high end of the purity scale?

Fraggle145
1/28/2010, 03:20 AM
If I had to guess, I would say Broken Bow and Pine Creek Reservoir. Maybe Sardis? I think Grand was way up there too until the chicken farming. I'll have to look into it and see if I can find out. The information may be available on OWRB's website.