PDA

View Full Version : Norman Music Festival 3 announces headliner...

Collier11
1/27/2010, 12:47 AM
Dirty Projectors, anyone have opinions on them? I listend to some of their stuff on youtube and they seem a bit different with their sound

Collier11
2/25/2010, 05:30 AM
Main Stage announced

2010 NMF Main Stage
The main stage and NMF3 will again be located in the 100 block of Main Street... right smack dab by the railroad tracks!
(Main Street and James Garner Parkway)

Performers:
Dirty Projectors
The Sword
Electric Six
Edan
Grupo Fantasma
Dead Sea Choir
Mayola
Gentle Ghost

yermom
2/25/2010, 11:03 AM
all my music nerd friends are really excited about The Sword

Electric Six was a fun show. i got nothing on the rest of them...

in case you guys haven't noticed, they changed the format from last year and they are having shows on Saturday and Sunday but they aren't closing Main street like they had been until Sunday

Collier11
2/25/2010, 11:24 AM
yea and it makes zero sense, the local biz owners threw a fit cus they didnt want to close their businesses on Saturday...WTF would you close on Saturday, why not stay open and make a crap ton of money???

Sometimes OKlahoma people are just plain dumb

yermom
2/25/2010, 11:30 AM
the businesses that don't sell beer or records basically get hosed

it makes sense though. it probably could have started out on Sunday

it's not like they can give them a cut of the ticket sales or anything. Saturday is the biggest retail day and to just give up the majority of your sales for a week has to hurt

Collier11
2/25/2010, 11:39 AM
but why would you have to give up any sales, hell open your doors and have a sale, sale cheap water or disposable cameras, the event is free so no one is getting any ticket sales...they could benefit from all of the extra people in town if they were creative at all

yermom
2/25/2010, 11:56 AM
i don't think the foot traffic is buying furniture and stuff though

but yeah, i'd be finding something to do like that. more people were at least selling food and water last year

the first year it was kinda hard to find

Boomer.....
2/25/2010, 12:05 PM
I'm going to have to make it out this year since I didn't the last two. I don't even remotely recognize any of those bands though. :O

I guess I need to listen up more to some Indie.

yermom
2/25/2010, 12:09 PM
i was thinking about making a NMF Pandora station :D

NormanPride
2/25/2010, 12:14 PM
I think I've heard of The Sword and Electric Six. That's impressive, because I do not follow popular music at all.

King Crimson
2/25/2010, 12:34 PM
dirty projectors are part of NYC/Brooklyn scene that is sometimes confusingly called "Brooklyn New Wave"...confusing because it doesn't have much to do with the old late 70's-early 80's NY/Boston New Wave probably epitomized for better or worse by the Cars, maybe.

so they are associated with Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear at least geographically.

pretty good pull for the NMF, i'd say. DP has got indie cred. probably have stuff on youtube.

yermom
2/25/2010, 12:55 PM
yeah, they said they are bigger deal now than Of Montreal was last year, apparently made a lot of top 10 lists for 2009

Collier11
2/25/2010, 01:38 PM
I'm going to have to make it out this year since I didn't the last two. I don't even remotely recognize any of those bands though. :O

I guess I need to listen up more to some Indie.

Its a good time and a fun atmosphere, I dont know many of the bands that have played on the main stage but some of them you end up liking their sound.

I volunteer at Sooner Theatre with a friend so I will be there and there are a lot of good local bands that play there. It is always fun

1890MilesToNorman
2/25/2010, 02:02 PM
If the warm up act is Vet the Wister guy. I'm in. :D

Collier11
2/25/2010, 02:03 PM
playing dixie on his banjo

Rhino
2/25/2010, 05:28 PM
DP is a huge get for NMF.
The Sword toured with Metallica - that should be enough cred.
E6 rules.
Dead Sea Choir is like a local Radiohead.
Mayola may be the best live performers of the bunch.

yea and it makes zero sense, the local biz owners threw a fit cus they didnt want to close their businesses on Saturday...WTF would you close on Saturday, why not stay open and make a crap ton of money??? There was also some vandalism, broken windows at last NMF.

Collier11
2/25/2010, 05:29 PM
Huh, I didnt hear about that. Well that will happen if they are open or not really, if you get some idiot hippies or drunk asses it is bound to happen

King Crimson
2/25/2010, 05:32 PM
Huh, I didnt hear about that. Well that will happen if they are open or not really, if you get some idiot hippies or drunk asses it is bound to happen

happens 7 times a year around Owen Stadium with 80,000 people in central Norman (minus the hippies this time, mostly). probably should call that off too. ;)

yermom
2/25/2010, 05:56 PM
they'll just wait until Sunday to break stuff now :D

GottaHavePride
2/25/2010, 06:23 PM
Grupo Fantasma kick some serious *** if you dig latin rock/hip-hop fusion.