PDA

View Full Version : The secretary across the hall

TUSooner
1/26/2010, 02:15 PM
I've mentioned this lady before. She is a late-30s or early 40s "Yat" (as in "Where y'at, dawlin?"). She's not dumb, but she's not likely to win any "Firsts" at Oxford -- England or Mississippi. She's kinda cute and had a boob job to boost her spirits after Katrina. It probably boosted her husband's spirits a bit, too. She has a really hard New Orleans / St. Bernard Parish accent (which, if you don't know, is much more like a raw New Jersey / New York type accent than it is like a typical Southern accent, with a dash of coonass tossed in). This makes for some colorful but grating phone conversations that I try to avoid hearing. She also has a well-documented history of annoying country music ringtones which I hear when she leaves her cell-phone unattended in her office.

Well, well, well she done went and topped her past achievements with her latest ringtone. It's "Pants on the Ground" as recorded, I think, by one of her very nonmusical teenaged daughters, evidently in a bathroom. If this lady wasn't such a sweet gal, I'd rip her head completely off this very afternoon. Instead, I guess I'll just close my door and hope she gets a better ringtone real soon.
Thanks for listening!

soonerinkaty
1/26/2010, 02:30 PM
Great insight, my life is now complete! ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/26/2010, 02:37 PM
She has a really hard New Orleans / St. Bernard Parish accent (which, if you don't know, is much more like a raw New Jersey / New York type accent than it is like a typical Southern accent, with a dash of coonass tossed in).

The reason for this is one of the few things I remember from my senior year at OU.

No, really. This was covered in class.

TUSooner
1/26/2010, 02:53 PM
The reason for this is one of the few things I remember from my senior year at OU.

No, really. This was covered in class.

Please explain. Seriously.
I never really knew why, or I forgot (a good bet). I figured it might have something to do with Irish immigrants.

LosAngelesSooner
1/26/2010, 02:58 PM
This thread is worthless without pics...

;)

Frozen Sooner
1/26/2010, 03:00 PM
I never really knew why, or I forgot (a good bet). I figured it might have something to do with Irish immigrants.

The Erie Canal began a large influx of New York teamsters and dockworkers. It was such a large demographic shift that it changed the dominant accent.

SoonerAtKU
1/26/2010, 03:16 PM
Just an FYI, people in St. Louis really think that people in New Orleans pronounce it "Nawlins". They were shocked when i demonstrated.

TUSooner
1/26/2010, 03:36 PM
Just an FYI, people in St. Louis really think that people in New Orleans pronounce it "Nawlins". They were shocked when i demonstrated.

There are approximately 237 ways in which New Orleanians "properly" pronounce New Orleans. "N'Awlins' is NOT one of them. I have never heard a New Orleanian say New Orleans without a least 3 syllables. And I listen. The closest I've ever heard to N'Awlins is maybe NaWawlins.

TUSooner
1/26/2010, 03:37 PM
This thread is worthless without pics...

;)

No, it isn't. Take my word for it.
When I say "kinda cute" I mean "not at all gorgeous," even post-op. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2010, 03:41 PM
I never really knew why, or I forgot (a good bet). I figured it might have something to do with Irish immigrants.It's a result of the Bronx Migration-a little known, and well hidden shameful event in NOLA history

SoonerAtKU
1/26/2010, 04:04 PM
The closest I was able to get any of my co-workers was "Nyu-all-ins".

MrJimBeam
1/26/2010, 04:14 PM
I expected so much more from the title.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/26/2010, 04:43 PM
TTIWWBoobs

Stitch Face
1/26/2010, 05:22 PM
I've mentioned this lady before. She is a late-30s or early 40s "Yat" (as in "Where y'at, dawlin?"). She's not dumb, but she's not likely to win any "Firsts" at Oxford -- England or Mississippi. She's kinda cute and had a boob job to boost her spirits after Katrina. It probably boosted her husband's spirits a bit, too. She has a really hard New Orleans / St. Bernard Parish accent (which, if you don't know, is much more like a raw New Jersey / New York type accent than it is like a typical Southern accent, with a dash of coonass tossed in). This makes for some colorful but grating phone conversations that I try to avoid hearing. She also has a well-documented history of annoying country music ringtones which I hear when she leaves her cell-phone unattended in her office.

Well, well, well she done went and topped her past achievements with her latest ringtone. It's "Pants on the Ground" as recorded, I think, by one of her very nonmusical teenaged daughters, evidently in a bathroom. If this lady wasn't such a sweet gal, I'd rip her head completely off this very afternoon. Instead, I guess I'll just close my door and hope she gets a better ringtone real soon.
Thanks for listening!

Lotta sexual tension in that post...

I'm talkin, like, Angela and Tony from Who's the Boss workin together...

TUSooner
1/26/2010, 05:45 PM
The closest I was able to get any of my co-workers was "Nyu-all-ins".

Yep. I've heard that one. :D

TUSooner
1/26/2010, 05:53 PM
Lotta sexual tension in that post...

I'm talkin, like, Angela and Tony from Who's the Boss workin together...

For the record: Not a trace. It's dat voice, dawlin. :P

Chuck Bao
1/26/2010, 09:16 PM
It is a pity when people are judged by their accents. But, when the behavior re-enforces that stereotype, they are doing themselves no favor. My female Louisiana cousins would rather be bare foot and fishin' and they have the accent to match that perfectly.