PDA

View Full Version : OKC sushi

Petro-Sooner
1/26/2010, 02:06 AM
So I've landed a first date on Saturday for lunch. I'm thinking sushi since we both like enjoy it. What recommendations does the SO offer? There are a number in the area but I'm thinking sushi neko on Western. Thoughts?

Breadburner
1/26/2010, 06:34 AM
So I've landed a first date on Saturday for lunch. I'm thinking sushi since we both like enjoy it. What recommendations does the SO offer? There are a number in the area but I'm thinking sushi neko on Western. Thoughts?

Guy or Girl......:D

SteelClip49
1/26/2010, 09:27 AM
Sushi Neko is good but you get less for what you pay for.

I have heard mixed reviews on In The Raw but I have been a few times and while being pricy you get a lot more and I think it's very good.

Sushi Tokyo gets a lot of rave but it's basically overrated and you pay a lot for much less.

Okura on North May and I think 71st not far from La Baguette is a great place to go as well. I have been there once but I think it's very good.

Buddha Tao you get an unlimited selection of Asian cuisines and sushi meals. I have been there three times and you get exactly what you pay for. It's definitely worth it.

1. Buddha Tao
2. In The Raw
3. Sushi Neko
4. Okura

OUMallen
1/26/2010, 09:44 AM
Best sushi in OKC is Tokyo on Western. It's not totally refined on the inside, either, which makes for a cool vibe, really.

http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/tokyo-japanese-restaurant-my-pick-for-sushi-in-oklahoma-city/

SteelClip49
1/26/2010, 09:45 AM
Tokyo I tell you is not worth it. It has nothing to offer once you get there.

OUMallen
1/26/2010, 09:52 AM
You'd think the Eat Around OKC people and general rave about the place means there's SOMETHING offered once you get there.

ADs_Agent
1/26/2010, 10:11 AM
go eat 'In the Raw', very ambiatic, it's in Bricktown or Campus Corner. Afterwards you can grab a cup of coffee at the Starbucks right nearby.

CobraKai
1/26/2010, 10:20 AM
I love "In The Raw." Their "Some Like It Hot" roll is one of my favorites. I've never had Neko, but some friends of mine swear it is the best.

C&CDean
1/26/2010, 10:28 AM
Know how I know y'all are gay?

Viking Kitten
1/26/2010, 10:37 AM
Liking delicious food does not make you gay. Mmmmm. Neko. Might have to hit that place for lunch today.

1890MilesToNorman
1/26/2010, 10:41 AM
Does this qualify as sushi?

http://jalapeno-carls-bbq.com/images/Ribs-2.jpg

C&CDean
1/26/2010, 11:00 AM
Liking delicious food does not make you gay. Mmmmm. Neko. Might have to hit that place for lunch today.

Delicious food? Sushi is alright, but it's WAY overpriced, and every time I eat it I've gotta stop and get a burger or something to finish filling me up. Besides, you're a chick. Chicks like gay food.

C&CDean
1/26/2010, 11:03 AM
One other thing. I think it's kinda risky taking a chick for sushi on a first date. What if your sushi ends up tasting like rotten *****? Or what if her ***** ends up tasting like rotten sushi? It's a lose-lose.

Take her somewhere like an Irish pub or something. Fish and chips or a burger and a couple Guinness'. You can't go wrong.

sooneron
1/26/2010, 11:09 AM
I hate to agree with :dean: , but sushi for a first lunch date seems strange to me.

Of course, if you've thrown it out there, you can't rescind. The only place in the city that I know of is Neko. I have only been to In The Raw in Brookside. Neko was pretty good a half dozen years back.
Neko has nice atmosphere, but it may seem like you're trying too hard.

picasso
1/26/2010, 11:13 AM
Delicious food? Sushi is alright, but it's WAY overpriced, and every time I eat it I've gotta stop and get a burger or something to finish filling me up. Besides, you're a chick. Chicks like gay food.

You aren't eating enough of it. Give me two of some like it hot and one Id roll from ITR.

Mewchos grassius.

Oh and heavy on the wasabi!

Viking Kitten
1/26/2010, 11:14 AM
One other thing. I think it's kinda risky taking a chick for sushi on a first date. What if your sushi ends up tasting like rotten *****? Or what if her ***** ends up tasting like rotten sushi? It's a lose-lose.

Take her somewhere like an Irish pub or something. Fish and chips or a burger and a couple Guinness'. You can't go wrong.

For some reason I can't get that Reeses PB cups commercial out of my head. "Hey! You got ***** in my sushi!" "No way dude! You got your sushi in my *****!"

C&CDean
1/26/2010, 11:17 AM
For some reason I can't get that Reeses PB cups commercial out of my head. "Hey! You got ***** in my sushi!" "No way dude! You got your sushi in my *****!"

"HMMMMM, hey that's gooood!"

OUMallen
1/26/2010, 11:46 AM
It IS overpriced.

And I love the overpriced Nirvana Roll at In the Raw.

Boomer.....
1/26/2010, 02:26 PM
"O" or In the Raw in Norman.

Oh and the Candy Roll at In the Raw RMFFO!

Chuck Bao
1/26/2010, 02:44 PM
I love Japanese food, especially sushi and sashimi. I think it is a great idea for a first date.

I have no suggestions for OKC Japanese restaurants. Some of you are mentioning about being over-priced. What would the typical bill be for two?

I think I would have price shock if I lived in the US. I took my 16 office colleagues out for lunch yesterday at a very good Japanese restaurant in Bangkok and the bill came to $120, or about $7 per person.

Fraggle145
1/26/2010, 02:51 PM
In the Raw just doesnt do it for me... something about their rice, makes it taste like the sushi you get in the "gross"ery emphasis on gross. Neko is good. If you are worried she wont like sushi take her to Musashi's. She can get the cooked stuff there.

SteelClip49
1/26/2010, 03:14 PM
when i go to Neko or In The Raw....I spend around $110 just for me. Maybe I will give some to my dad because he likes it as well but Sushi is my chocolate. I say $110 because I know I can't eat it all the time. Usually I get it 2 times a month.

C&CDean
1/26/2010, 03:18 PM
Dude, you can't take somebody to lunch at Sooner Dairy for $7 a head.

Boomer.....
1/26/2010, 03:20 PM
$110 :eek:

In the Raw (in Norman) has a happy hour M-F from 4pm-9pm (I think) and rolls are half off with some being only $3 or $4 bucks. They also have great beer specials. We will go, get a couple rolls a piece and a beer or two and get out under $20 a person.

C&CDean
1/26/2010, 03:28 PM
Anybody that would drop $120 on a meal that doesn't include copious amounts of USDA prime beef or Maine lobster and some booze is a numbskull.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/26/2010, 03:44 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E8BpJEni77I/SaayHzP72fI/AAAAAAAAIUU/nW1za6rtihU/s400/bandb.jpg

Bangkok.

Heh heh heh.

Chuck Bao
1/26/2010, 03:52 PM
I ordered New Zealand beef served rare at Zen restaurant yesterday and I am ashamed to say I couldn't eat all of it. It was cubed lean meat and very tender, like they serve Kobe steak. For $120, I would expect a very nice bottle of wine during the meal, cognac and a cigar afterwards. And, after that sex. Like I said before, Japanese may be a very good choice for a first date.

1890MilesToNorman
1/26/2010, 04:07 PM
I'll feed all of ya for $120 a piece with Maine lobster, get yer butt's up here and pronto. wine included. I'll even give ya 2 dang lobsters for that amount.

setem
1/26/2010, 05:56 PM
Kangs Asian Bistro behind Hudson's off Western in OKC is really good. My friend and I went there and had a awesome meal but we did spend like $36 per person. Also they brought us our food on one big platter so we looked legitimately gay.

Boatload of sushi at Niko is really good too. My sister and I love it and it is a decent price for more than one person.

Spider Rolls are my favorite!

Viking Kitten
1/26/2010, 06:10 PM
Love me some Kang's. Haven't been to the OKC location, but the Edmond one rocks.

A Sooner in Texas
1/26/2010, 07:53 PM
Ya'll are making me hungry for sushi and lobster and steak!
I think it takes a real man to eat sushi, and especially one who knows what to order. Men who do so show intelligence and sophistication, IMHO. ;)
Petro, does your date have any preferences on restaurants? That might be the way to go.

bluedogok
1/26/2010, 10:06 PM
In the Raw just doesnt do it for me... something about their rice, makes it taste like the sushi you get in the "gross"ery emphasis on gross. Neko is good. If you are worried she wont like sushi take her to Musashi's. She can get the cooked stuff there.
They have cooked food at Neko as well, I like some sushi but not a whole meal of it and they used to have a mixed plate that had a good mix for me.

One thing that I noticed though, all the sushi that I have had in the US tastes quite a bit different than the first time that I had sushi...which was in Tokyo.

silverwheels
1/27/2010, 12:39 AM
Sushi is way overpriced here in the U.S., but every now and then it's great, especially if you get a combination of a roll or two, some nigiri, and some sashimi. And try to keep the rolls simple with only 2 or 3 ingredients or they get a little too...American.

GKeeper316
1/27/2010, 02:54 AM
lunch on a first date? a classic blunder.

Petro-Sooner
1/27/2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks everyone on the advise. First off shes a cute little chickie whom I'm very excited about. We'll see how it goes. Her favorite food is sushi so thats why I brought the thread up. As far as overpriced? Absofreakinlutly!!! Much rather hit up a steak house or decent messican place but I'll role with it. Shes a neko fan so it will be there.

Ice better play nice!

SteelClip49
1/27/2010, 09:29 AM
Or you can do $19 a person next time at Lin's Asian Buffet on I-40 and MacArthur. By no means are you cheated or anything. You actually get some decent sushi rolls and a variety of really good and fresh Asian cuisines in the buffet line plus some steak choices in a separate section. I highly recommend it next time if you go up that way! For dessert....Lushberries, Orange Tree, Slab of Marble, that other thing ;) Have fun!!!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/27/2010, 09:40 AM
Anybody that would drop $120 on a meal that doesn't include copious amounts of USDA prime beef or Maine lobster and some booze is a numbskull.

Hey, if it comes with some high-grade tail, $120 is a bargain...

http://www.sushioishii.com/images/gallery/lobster.jpg

JohnnyMack
1/27/2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.restaurantanzu.com/PDFs/Dinner1009.pdf

This place is in downtown San Francisco. Steak and sushi are their specialties.

It'll rock your face straight through the floor.

setem
1/27/2010, 02:55 PM
Or you can do $19 a person next time at Lin's Asian Buffet on I-40 and MacArthur. By no means are you cheated or anything. You actually get some decent sushi rolls and a variety of really good and fresh Asian cuisines in the buffet line plus some steak choices in a separate section. I highly recommend it next time if you go up that way! For dessert....Lushberries, Orange Tree, Slab of Marble, that other thing ;) Have fun!!!

When did Lin's raise their price? I ate there last week and it was only 10 doll hairs! It is one of the better Asian Buffets I have been a patron of. The steak is okay but not anything to go nuts about but they do have some decent buffet sushi and the octopus stir fry is the ****! Also, you can never go wrong with Mongolian BBQ!

Fraggle145
1/27/2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone on the advise. First off shes a cute little chickie whom I'm very excited about. We'll see how it goes. Her favorite food is sushi so thats why I brought the thread up. As far as overpriced? Absofreakinlutly!!! Much rather hit up a steak house or decent messican place but I'll role with it. Shes a neko fan so it will be there.

Ice better play nice!

Get your sake on. Momokawa Pearl is a nice sweet cold sake that isnt too expensive, if she's into that sort of thing.

Fraggle145
1/27/2010, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah if you guys are into Sashimi get the boat and you guys can split it. Its really cool to have that boat on your table, and it makes the lady feel special cause it looks pricey on the menu, but is usually cheaper than if you got all that **** individually.

sooneron
1/27/2010, 10:35 PM
I'll feed all of ya for $120 a piece with Maine lobster, get yer butt's up here and pronto. wine included. I'll even give ya 2 dang lobsters for that amount.

But I can just go to Montauk for lobstah!:cool:

sooneron
1/27/2010, 10:38 PM
when i go to Neko or In The Raw....I spend around $110 just for me.

Rrrrrrriiiight. :rolleyes:

I've been to Nobu and haven't spent that much on myself.