PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Cullen?

soonerguild
1/24/2010, 11:41 AM
I know Jeffcoat and Nelson are in town this weekend, but the guy we really need the most is JC OT John Cullen. Anyone have any news on this guy?

boomersooner28
1/24/2010, 02:10 PM
No. I just wanted to contribute to this thread. :D

IronHorseSooner
1/24/2010, 02:28 PM
Of all of the young men we are considering for the last spot, I agree that Cullen fulfills our greatest need. We need another big body up front to keep Landry vertical, and to open lanes for our talented runners.

The philosophy with getting Jeffcoat, IMHO, would be two-fold. One, you would be in a mode where you would be taking the best player available, which is a model often used by the NFL. The second is a tactic used by The King, in that you keep him away from *. We already have nine DEs.

With Nelson, the philosophy would be similar to Jeffcoat's. We already have 10 LBs, so there is a comfortable three deep, and many of those guys can play multiple LB positions. We would also be keeping him away from another Big XII South rival. Remember, some believe that A&M is a talented defense away from competing with us and * for the South.

With Porter, you would be getting a talented and fast local kid, and you would be sticking it to Tech. Also, much like with Jeffcoat and Nelson, you would be keeping a talented player away from a divisional opponent, in this case, likely OSU. We also have 16 DBs, so this would be another case of taking a talented player who happens to want to come here.

Even though those 3 defensive players are talented, and are seriously interested in us, Cullen is the most needed for where this team wants to go. With losing Vinson and Jeffries, we lost 2 JUCO OL who would have competed for serious PT this year. Cullen looks like a nasty, competitive guy who really likes OUr system.

BoomerJ
1/24/2010, 04:19 PM
I know that Vinson is transferring, but are you sure about Jeffries?

I agree about Cullen. We need him.

Collier11
1/24/2010, 04:25 PM
we arent losing Jeffries, where did you hear this?

IronHorseSooner
1/24/2010, 04:36 PM
From somebody over on another thread. It's probably just a rumor. If we will have 87 with OUr last signee, that means that we would still have Jeffries. I calculated 89, but Bryant is exhausting his eligibility, and Wilson's scholly doesn't count.

rawlingsHOH
1/24/2010, 08:47 PM
I know Jeffcoat and Nelson are in town this weekend, but the guy we really need the most is JC OT John Cullen. Anyone have any news on this guy?

Isn't he a fall enrollee? Harder for those guys to make impacts. Especially on the OL.

IronHorseSooner
1/24/2010, 09:47 PM
Isn't he a fall enrollee? Harder for those guys to make impacts. Especially on the OL.

You do make a great point there that I didn't realize, and that might be the reason they are looking at the defensive side more. In that case then Jeffcoat might be the best signee. With Irwin and Woods coming in early, then that might offset the necessity of needing to get another OL. I have a feeling that Irwin is going to be special, and I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't in the starting OL before it's all done. It would be interesting to see how the DE rotation would work. You might see one of those guys used as an OLB in some situations. Here's the way that I would see it:

1st: Beal, Alexander
2nd: Washington, King
3rd: Chaisson, Jeffcoat
4th: Grissom, Macon
Ndulue would receive a RS, or he could be move to OLB.

soonerguild
1/24/2010, 10:44 PM
Jeffcoat and Nelson would be freshman fall enrollees, Cullen would be a jc fall enrollee, Plus with our depth at de and lb, ot is by far an easier place to make an impact. Being an early enrollee makes it easier of a fall enrollee, but neither Jeffcoat nor Nelson are early enrollees.

Of the three I still take Cullen at this point given my choice.

soonerfan28
1/25/2010, 12:04 PM
You do make a great point there that I didn't realize, and that might be the reason they are looking at the defensive side more. In that case then Jeffcoat might be the best signee. With Irwin and Woods coming in early, then that might offset the necessity of needing to get another OL. I have a feeling that Irwin is going to be special, and I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't in the starting OL before it's all done. It would be interesting to see how the DE rotation would work. You might see one of those guys used as an OLB in some situations. Here's the way that I would see it:

1st: Beal, Alexander
2nd: Washington, King
3rd: Chaisson, Jeffcoat
4th: Grissom, Macon
Ndulue would receive a RS, or he could be move to OLB.

I like the list but I think Chaisson moves inside b/c of the lack of depth at DT.

SCxxSOONER
1/25/2010, 01:55 PM
I.d take Jeffcoat and Nelson over Cullen simply because i think they are higher quality players

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/26/2010, 12:14 PM
Which one? word is they all suck.... http://weblogs.variety.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/11/21/twilight_cullens_bella.jpg

Sorry...

Widescreen
1/26/2010, 01:00 PM
I just have this feeling that we're going to use our last scholarship on an OL project no one's ever heard of. I'd love it if we'd get Cullen or Jeffcoat, but it seems like in recent years, we lose out on our targets at the end and settle for a project.

soonerguild
1/26/2010, 06:49 PM
I just have this feeling that we're going to use our last scholarship on an OL project no one's ever heard of. I'd love it if we'd get Cullen or Jeffcoat, but it seems like in recent years, we lose out on our targets at the end and settle for a project.

Unfortunately I agree with you.

IronHorseSooner
1/29/2010, 01:33 PM
With today's events, any more word?

soonerguild
1/29/2010, 01:42 PM
I read somewhere that cullen will announce on signing day, and unfortunately the general consensus is that he will go to suc. Its looking more and more like the last ship will be someone we have never heard of on the OL or we are done.

Rhino
2/3/2010, 10:15 AM
USC or Utah.

OUmillenium
2/3/2010, 01:06 PM
Tulsaworld said he signed with Utah

soonerfan28
2/3/2010, 01:09 PM
I figured he would go some place that he wouldn't have to compete so hard. I know Utah has some good players but not like OU or USC.