PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tech Review

OUSKINS
1/24/2010, 08:43 AM
When it rains, it pours. In addition to our many self-inflicted ailments this year, we just received a nice dose of good, old fashioned bad luck. Willie hasn't been anywhere good enough for me to sit and say we "would" have won the game had he played, but after watching the game, logic sort of dictates that to be the conclusion. We got a little worn out down the stretch and we needed an extra little offensive pop. It was a game where the handful of big plays Willie makes could have made all the difference.

Still it was interesting to watch the team without him. I do think we played more controlled.

In addition to Willie, I also thought we had some bad luck from the Tech perspective. They couldn't throw it in the ocean in the first half, but they were borderline unguarable in the second half. I didn't think our defense was that bad, Tech was just making all of their shots.... We were in foul trouble in addition to being short-handed and Capel had to go zone-- I thought we executed it well, but Tech's guards hit tough shots. Give them credit.

Tiny has to be better than he was Saturday night. Again, he shows these flashes of brilliance-- his up and under move was a thing of beauty, but he continues to pick up silly fouls and be sloppy with the ball. Pledger was dreadful-- played about as poorly as you can play. Cade may have had his worst/least effective game this year. For the first time in weeks, he didn't make much of an impact. Crocker was great. But the story was TMG..... guy is going to be a star. Something has clicked for him-- he has been amazing these past two games. I had no idea he had that kind of offensive game. He is an excellent shooter, but unlike many shooters in the game today, he can also hit the mid-range shot with consistency. And despite his size, he is strong and crafty around the rim. The team will be built around him in the coming years and I am very excited about that.

Frustrating week....thought we played pretty well in both road games and have nothing to show for it. Again, 10-6 is the key number if we want to talk NCAA tourney, but at this point, it's really not even a worthy conversation. Our poor start and bad early losses are going to hinder us in that department. I'm really not even thinking Big Dance at this point-- right now, I just want the team to get better and build legitimate promise for the future. Again, going to the NIT could very well be more beneficial for this team going forward anyway.

Iowa St . at Lloyd Noble Wednesday-- obviously a game we should win. I do think the Cyclones are a bit better than they've played this year, but still no excuses for this one. I wouldn't expect a blowout, but we do need to win the game, period.

okienole3
1/24/2010, 09:26 AM
Tiny just needs to figure out how to stay on the floor.

GrapevineSooner
1/24/2010, 09:29 AM
I don't know about the whole 'Tech was unguardable part'.

Or maybe the Sooners took that saying too much to heart when Brian Tairu got the ball in the corner.

Amazing how the more heated up he got from that spot, the more open, it seemed, our guards let him be as the second half wore on.

But that's my only complaint about the game. Both games, the win was there for the taking. And this team hasn't quite learned how to take those wins on the road.

I trust they'll get there at some point, though.

misplacedsooner
1/24/2010, 10:18 AM
look at all the easy looks they got from outside, what bothered me more is they were able to take the ball into the paint at will...i noticed this last game too and thought to myself ... we never hardly get into the lane that easy in a halfcourt set...not only were they getting in the lane... they were getting good looks from 5 feet....that is unacceptable out of a halfcourt set.
another thought that came to mind as i saw willie on the bench before the game....huge i would assume fake diamonds in his ears.... he almost left last year to go to the nba.....this year i say he has no chance to leave for the league so does he spend another year or two here and try to become a team player??? does he think the world of himself and possibly go undrafted and end up d-league or overseas? whats the deal with kieths attitude??? where is pledgers shot? for being a bigtime recruit where is the real fitz??? we have crock, who is streaky but lucky for us plays hard and more on than off....usually. we have cade who plays above his talent level probably because he wants it more. then we have tmg....this guy may go down as our best point ever when all is said and done, the kid can play and he is still learning, early in the season i noticed he deferred to willie alot, its time he takes over and calls this his team and im seeing him do this slowly.

JLEW1818
1/24/2010, 01:41 PM
Tech's center Darco or w/e is absolutely garbage... people here on SoonerFans could shut him down.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/25/2010, 04:43 PM
Tech's center Darco or w/e is absolutely garbage... people here on SoonerFans could shut him down.

I could about 15 years ago but I've had too many cheddar peppers since then...:D

Frustrating because we have played 2 road games in which we have probably played well enough to win but came up short. We NEED to get more than 6 people significantly contributing in any given game before we will be able to play 40 minutes on the road and win.