PDA

View Full Version : Big ****ing Shock: Florida's Meyer may not step away

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2010, 08:38 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/23/florida.meyer.ap/index.html

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida coach Urban Meyer is working out, eating better and has gained 20 pounds since the end of the season -- all good news for the Gators.

As for that leave of absence?

Well, it might not even happen. Or at least not like anyone thought it would.

Meyer, speaking publicly for the first time since Florida beat Cincinnati 51-24 in the Sugar Bowl, said Saturday night that his workload has been about the same as it has been during other recruiting seasons. The biggest difference is he is traveling less.

He also plans to coach the Gators during spring practice.

Meyer announced his resignation last month, citing health concerns three weeks after he was rushed to a hospital with chest pains. He changed his mind the following day and instead said he planned to take an indefinite leave following the bowl game.

"I keep hearing about this time out," Meyer said. "People I'm closest to are going to demand I take some time off, but I tried that already. I tried a day and a half, and it didn't work."

Meyer returned to the office, hired four assistant coaches and has assembled what is shaping up to be the nation's No. 1 recruiting class.

Nonetheless, he has a series of heart and stress tests scheduled for next month. But he again declined to divulge details about his health.

"I'm not going to get into that publicly, but so far the tests are coming back pretty positive," he said.

Meyer said athletic director Jeremy Foley and his wife, Shelley, want him to take some time off after signing day next month. He indicated he might step away between signing day and spring practice -- something he hasn't done the last five years in Gainesville -- but added that he hasn't made any definite plans.

"I've been instructed I have to. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do," he said. "I just don't know how long."

Meyer made it clear, though, his daily routine needs to be overhauled.

"I have to change some things," he said. "That's obvious."

His routine already has been modified, starting with workouts and including better eating habits.

"I feel real good," he said. "I've been working out a lot. I'm over 200 pounds, so I guess that's how they gauge it a little bit because I was not good there for a while. Doing a lot better."

Asked why he lost so much weight during the season, he replied, "It's called ignorance or something like that."

Meyer watched the first half of Florida's game against South Carolina alongside two big-time recruits, safety Matt Elam and defensive end Ronald Powell.

"I'm excited about our staff," Meyer said. "I'm really excited about our team and recruiting's obviously going well."

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2010, 08:39 PM
A day and a half.

Apparently when you get a "sign from God" that your daughter is glad she "gets her Daddy back", you just take off a day and a half.

JLEW1818
1/23/2010, 08:45 PM
his daughter is hot !!

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2010, 09:02 PM
So he changed his mind. So what? Who hasn't changed their mind on a career decision?

SoonerDood
1/23/2010, 09:06 PM
attention whore

colleyvillesooner
1/23/2010, 09:29 PM
So he changed his mind. So what? Who hasn't changed their mind on a career decision?

It's not the changing his mind that I care about. It was all the sign from god, crying wife, scared to die bit we were force fed. It was all swept away by a spirited practice and a day and a half off.

AzianSooner
1/23/2010, 09:31 PM
Bob Stoops has gained about 50+ lbs since 2001.

JLEW1818
1/23/2010, 09:33 PM
i wonder what kind of beer bob drinks?

Widescreen
1/23/2010, 09:40 PM
If he doesn't listen to his wife on this, he's an idiot and being disrespectful to her.

GrapevineSooner
1/23/2010, 09:53 PM
Urban Favre.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/23/2010, 10:18 PM
Urban Favre.

no kidding

tulsaoilerfan
1/23/2010, 10:21 PM
If he doesn't listen to his wife on this, he's an idiot and being disrespectful to her.

I'm sure she loves him and all, but i bet she loves that 4 million dollar a year contract also :D

soonerloyal
1/23/2010, 10:43 PM
I'd bet a good chunk of change that Meyer will come out of this with a renegotiated contract - and a raise to at least $5.5M (if not $6), just so FL can say THEY have the highest-paid coach and he can be "persuaded" to stay. For the good of the program and all, ya know...

Hide and watch.

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2010, 10:43 PM

Uhhh, no. Wifey-poo should have no say in the matter.

soonerloyal
1/23/2010, 10:46 PM
Uhhh, no. Wifey-poo should have no say in the matter.

Are you married? :eek:

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2010, 10:50 PM
22 years.

soonerhubs
1/23/2010, 11:01 PM
22 years.

Bless her heart. ;)

Leroy Lizard
1/23/2010, 11:05 PM
She doesn't have it too bad. I don't tell her which dishes to clean. (As long as she cleans the dirty ones.)

silverwheels
1/23/2010, 11:10 PM
This offseason has shown me that I'm extremely grateful to have someone like Bob Stoops as the head coach at Oklahoma, compared to some of the other clowns out there like Meyer, Kiffin, Saban, Carroll, and Brown.

goingoneight
1/23/2010, 11:37 PM
Urban Meyer, Lane Kiffin, Jay Leno, Brett Favre... are we missing anybody?

85sooners
1/24/2010, 11:28 AM
:gary:

Seamus
1/24/2010, 11:51 AM
How in the name of Guinness Extra Stout did this meat blanket Leroy get back into the green?

Who the **** is feeding the troll?

rawlingsHOH
1/24/2010, 12:14 PM
Happens a lot. The more famous, the more public.

Derrick Mason.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2010, 12:38 PM
How in the name of Guinness Extra Stout did this meat blanket Leroy get back into the green?

They had a meeting and it was decided I was right.

On everything.

sooner59
1/24/2010, 04:17 PM
Meyer is an idiot. All of this mess and he doesn't do anything really. And it cost him one of the top 10 players in the nation, who switched to their rival.

NorCaligator
1/24/2010, 10:36 PM
Meyer is an idiot. All of this mess and he doesn't do anything really. And it cost him one of the top 10 players in the nation, who switched to their rival.

Which recruit was that? Lamarcus Joyner? I don't think he chose FSU because of Meyer's situation. Meyer's health issues certainly didn't impact the other 4 top 10 (ESPN 150) commits to UF.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2010, 10:39 PM
It looks like we are back to our regularly scheduled programs.

NormanPride
1/25/2010, 01:09 PM
Either this is for recruiting, or he's a moron and will get himself killed.

goingoneight
1/25/2010, 01:13 PM
No Tebow or Charlie Strong could get his team killed.

BASSooner
1/25/2010, 02:13 PM

Tiger Woods

OklahomaTuba
1/25/2010, 03:22 PM
i wonder what kind of beer bob drinks?

texas suxs beer I would hope.

Oldnslo
1/25/2010, 03:23 PM
Before all of this, I thougt Meyer was a tool.

Now, I KNOW it.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/25/2010, 03:44 PM
So was it an affair that was about to be made public that started all this???

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2010, 04:06 PM
Gee, how do ugly Internet rumors start?

icmwhOU72
1/25/2010, 10:28 PM
no no no this all came out because of the gay photos and the meyer tebow sex tape. Classic "i am about to die" cover up.

Wishboned
1/25/2010, 11:37 PM
his daughter is hot !!

And I'll bet she's going to have daddy issues!

Sooner-In-The-Swamp
1/29/2010, 06:22 PM
I live in Florida and the word here is that the real reason Meyer decided not to retire is because they want Stoops back here. Apparently, Charlie Strong would have taken over for Meyer unless Bob came. Stoops would have been in charge and I guess Meyer felt it was unfair to Charlie. So, he decided not to retire.

I don't know how true this story is, but a lot of UF fans keep saying that the big guys want Bob back and eventually they will get him.

If this IS true (about Meyer), then I hope he stays at UF forever so Bob won't come here. I want him to stay at OU.

What are your thoughts?

Crucifax Autumn
1/30/2010, 02:00 AM

Good! :D

silverwheels
1/30/2010, 06:52 PM
I live in Florida and the word here is that the real reason Meyer decided not to retire is because they want Stoops back here. Apparently, Charlie Strong would have taken over for Meyer unless Bob came. Stoops would have been in charge and I guess Meyer felt it was unfair to Charlie. So, he decided not to retire.

I don't know how true this story is, but a lot of UF fans keep saying that the big guys want Bob back and eventually they will get him.

If this IS true (about Meyer), then I hope he stays at UF forever so Bob won't come here. I want him to stay at OU.

What are your thoughts?

If Stoops wanted to go back to Florida, he would have done it already. Florida fans are jorts-wearing jackasses.

Tigeman
1/30/2010, 10:40 PM
He's already turned them down TWICE!!!! Why would he go back now?

My take on the situation is Meyer's is Ego is soooo big that he is setting himself up to be the savior! He knew if he left his recruiting class was done!!!! BUT if he stayed and got their LOI's they were locked in. Why you ask?.....

Next year, and possibly the year after FL is prob. gonna suck, relatively speaking. He also knows Bama is gonna dominate the SEC next year and will thump FL. So if he leaves everyone will say if only they had Meyer. Of course he knows his players that he recruited will be there waiting for him.

He then comes back to a team with a VERY talented recruiting class with a year under it's belt as well as some game experience on the team. He's set for a mNCG run within the 2nd year of coming back! Once again we'll hear the ESPN love fest about Meyer being one of the greatest of all times to be able to come back and immediately bring this team back from the cellar.

Yes his Ego is that big to think like this!

Leroy Lizard
1/30/2010, 11:18 PM
Sounds a little far-fetched, tigerman.

Tigeman
1/31/2010, 12:52 PM
Not Tiger... Tige`

And I wouldn't put it past him!

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 01:10 PM
So what exactly has he done in the past that would make you think he would do something like this?

All coaches have egos. But I've never heard of a coach taking a leave of absence as part of a scheme to shed discredit for a bad season. Have you?

Tigeman
1/31/2010, 02:39 PM
Whoaaaaa, lets back up here! Your totally putting words in mouth or misunderstanding me. I'm not saying him originally leaving was a scheme. As I do think he has a medical problem and definitely needs a LOA.

What I am saying is the whole, him coming back and saying he's coaching this season, is a scheme to maintain the recruiting class. He's telling players he'll be coaching this season. I don't think he'll be back this year, and he knows it. I think shortly after signing day he'll be gone. And won't be back till the following year. At the very least he'll stick around but in a diminished capacity. I think you'll be seeing someone else coach next year. He'll take his year off that he's now said he's not taking. They'll have a bad year, and he'll come back and be the savior. Now is the time to take his leave of absence and he knows it. But it would only be worth it, IF he maintained this recruiting class.

As for anything from his past.... just look at how he handled this situation. He said he was leaving, his recruits began jumping ship, so he said I'm staying. He thens gets some of these guys back by telling them god told him to come back and coach specifically them! Except he screwed up and told 4 or 5 guys this, not expecting it to get out. Look at his past recruiting antics as well. He's a ruthless, lying, calculated guy.

Guess we'll see if he does indeed coach this year though.

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 03:41 PM
What I am saying is the whole, him coming back and saying he's coaching this season, is a scheme to maintain the recruiting class. He's telling players he'll be coaching this season. I don't think he'll be back this year, and he knows it. I think shortly after signing day he'll be gone. And won't be back till the following year. At the very least he'll stick around but in a diminished capacity. I think you'll be seeing someone else coach next year. He'll take his year off that he's now said he's not taking. They'll have a bad year, and he'll come back and be the savior. Now is the time to take his leave of absence and he knows it. But it would only be worth it, IF he maintained this recruiting class.

Okay, I see your point.

Telling recruits that he plans to be here could very well be designed to keep Florida from having its recruiting class gutted. I could even see the athletic department urging him to say something along those lines.

As for being gone after signing day, I don't see it. He could use a medical excuse to leave again, but another change in his mind would indicate that is medical problems are more severe than once thought and the university would probably put out a search for a replacement. Meyer is smart enough to know that.

Crucifax Autumn
1/31/2010, 04:17 PM
I think if that's true every single kid that signs with the assumption he is gonna be coaching should immediately transfer, sit out a year, and sue Florida for stealing a year of their lives.

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, you commit to the program, not the coach.

Doesn't the NCAA have special provisions in its rules for this situation?

Tigeman
1/31/2010, 08:42 PM
I could be wrong, but I think only basketball has it where you can get out of your LOI if the coach leaves! But I think incoming freshman can appeal to the NCAA and as long as the school doesn't fight (which is tradition) then historically they let people out w/o sitting out a year. As long as you haven't officially enrolled. So on hind site, maybe he waits till the kids are enrolled...lol.

Leroy Lizard
1/31/2010, 08:46 PM
If his shenanigans are blatant, it could hurt future recruiting efforts, which is another reason why I don't think he would do it.