December 26th 1984
Final Score ~~~ Iowa 55 Texas 17 ~~~ :)

Your Turn ~~~ :)

Blues1
1/22/2010, 06:33 PM
Anybody (Old Farts) remember this....?

Will Rogers Bowl
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Will Rogers Bowl was a postseason college football bowl game held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on January 1, 1947. It was intended to be an annual event, but was discontinued after the first edition. The game featured Pepperdine, a first-year football program, and Nebraska Wesleyan.

Pepperdine, a school based in Los Angeles, California, was then known as George Pepperdine College (GPC), and the football team finished its first-ever season of play with an 8–1 record. After 1950, the Pepperdine football program struggled, and was eventually discontinued in 1961. In the last two years of the team's existence, it compiled a 1–17 record.

Nebraska-Wesleyan's football program started in 1896. The program was discontinued in 1897 but resumed in 1908. The football program had never been to a bowl game as well and went 7-0-3 (3 ties) and was coached by George "Bus" Knight in his first year as a college coach. The mascot names for Nebraska-Wesleyan have changed from Coyotes to Sun Flowers to Plainsmen to Prairie Wolves and the program has won 22 conference titles. The football program continues to this day.

The game was played on January 1, 1947 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. A snow storm hit Oklahoma City just before the game and the game was only attended by 800 people. Nebraska-Wesleyan led 13-0 in the first half but Pepperdine came back to win the game 38-13.

The bowl game remains Nebraska-Wesleyan and Pepperdine's only college bowl appearance.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/22/2010, 07:57 PM
9zeL5yyjqWQ

reevie
1/22/2010, 08:29 PM
Nebraska-Wesleyan ... Sun Flowers

I don't see any self respecting man playing for a team with this name

WVSooner
1/22/2010, 09:42 PM
9zeL5yyjqWQ

Yuk. I think I hate Miami even more than I hate Texas.

fadada1
1/22/2010, 10:10 PM
Anybody (Old Farts) remember this....?

Will Rogers Bowl
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Will Rogers Bowl was a postseason college football bowl game held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on January 1, 1947. It was intended to be an annual event, but was discontinued after the first edition. The game featured Pepperdine, a first-year football program, and Nebraska Wesleyan.

Pepperdine, a school based in Los Angeles, California, was then known as George Pepperdine College (GPC), and the football team finished its first-ever season of play with an 8–1 record. After 1950, the Pepperdine football program struggled, and was eventually discontinued in 1961. In the last two years of the team's existence, it compiled a 1–17 record.

Nebraska-Wesleyan's football program started in 1896. The program was discontinued in 1897 but resumed in 1908. The football program had never been to a bowl game as well and went 7-0-3 (3 ties) and was coached by George "Bus" Knight in his first year as a college coach. The mascot names for Nebraska-Wesleyan have changed from Coyotes to Sun Flowers to Plainsmen to Prairie Wolves and the program has won 22 conference titles. The football program continues to this day.

The game was played on January 1, 1947 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. A snow storm hit Oklahoma City just before the game and the game was only attended by 800 people. Nebraska-Wesleyan led 13-0 in the first half but Pepperdine came back to win the game 38-13.

The bowl game remains Nebraska-Wesleyan and Pepperdine's only college bowl appearance.

what? no embedded youtube clip?

lame.

:D

SunnySooner
1/23/2010, 12:52 AM
Just watched "The Express", the bio of Ernie Davis, great movie, bring your kleenex...anyway, 1959 Cotton Bowl, #1 Syracuse beats #4 texsucs, 23-14. Cotton Bowl--you know, the one in DALLAS?!?!??!!? Bwahahahaha, they lost the National Championship in their own state, classic. Both teams were undefeated, we ended up #15 that year, losing to the whorns 19-12 in the RRS.

The movie is allsome, portrays texsucs as the Evil Empire that they are, not a flattering depiction of that program AT ALL. Lovely.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/23/2010, 01:37 AM
The '91 Cotton Bowl was my all-time fave non-OU game. Thug U 46-Cows 3.(or, close to that score), and the U had over 200 yds in penalties, mostly unnecessary roughness, or the beat-down woulda been worse.

VA Sooner
1/23/2010, 08:02 PM
200 yards in penalties! I still laugh when I think about that game.

Scott D
1/23/2010, 08:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that based on the way the media covers things in recent years. Texas was destroyed by Alabama earlier this month, once again based on the criteria used by the modern sports media.

Leroyt
1/24/2010, 08:25 PM
Hate to rain on the parade, but if you wanna run smack from 1984, it had better involvehttp://a5.vox.com/6a00cd970e4cda4cd500e398c754b50002-500pi
orhttp://www.tvcrazy.net/images/miami-vice/miami-vice-crockett-tubbs-car.jpg
Jan Hammer's keytar skeelz are superior to Freedom Bowl dissage.
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/images/pics/miamivice2.jpg

NMSooner'80
1/25/2010, 11:08 AM
Just watched "The Express", the bio of Ernie Davis, great movie, bring your kleenex...anyway, 1959 Cotton Bowl, #1 Syracuse beats #4 texsucs, 23-14. Cotton Bowl--you know, the one in DALLAS?!?!??!!? Bwahahahaha, they lost the National Championship in their own state, classic. Both teams were undefeated, we ended up #15 that year, losing to the whorns 19-12 in the RRS.

The movie is allsome, portrays texsucs as the Evil Empire that they are, not a flattering depiction of that program AT ALL. Lovely.

I heard that game wasn't as close, in real life, as the movie portrayed it. And, having grown up in southern Oklahoma - close enough to Texas to "hear stories," I believe they got it right when they portrayed those '59 Horns as being both dirty and racist.

It was downright comical to hear the whining that came out of that part of the world in the early 70's when they couldn't get Blacks from Texas to go to UT. Of course, if they lost a Joe Washington to OU, they really let the Whine flow. It HAD to be because the evil Sooners bought those Black players, and not because they felt more comfortable at OU with its superior history of racial opportunity. OU had a Black man (Prentice Gautt) letter 14 years before the Horns did, and they had a Black captain (Glenn King, 1971) seven years before the Bevoids let a Black man play QB.

Leroy Lizard
1/25/2010, 11:56 AM
and they had a Black captain (Glenn King, 1971) seven years before the Bevoids let a Black man play QB.

Which UT QB would that be? I wasn't aware of any black UT QBs until James Brown.

MiccoMacey
1/25/2010, 12:08 PM
When was the UCLA-Texas game? Wasn't it like 66-3 or something?

Either or, I don't feel better about another man's loss. It doesn't make my team any better or worse.

NMSooner'80
1/25/2010, 12:24 PM
Which UT QB would that be? I wasn't aware of any black UT QBs until James Brown.

Donnie Little.

And I also recall that James Brown got some racist hate mail, roughly 20 years after Donnie Little played, until he beat the Corn in that Big 12 title game.

goingoneight
1/25/2010, 01:17 PM
I saw them get slaughtered in the Cotton Bowl 63-14 and again in 2003, 65-13... does that count? :D

NMSooner'80
1/25/2010, 01:39 PM
When was the UCLA-Texas game? Wasn't it like 66-3 or something?

It was in 1997, in Austin. The debacle (for UT fans - a joyous occasion for everyone else) was nicknamed "Rout 66."

I was driving between Alamogordo, N.M., and El Paso that day and picked it up on the radio out of El Paso (home of the newly-minted Longhorn-wannabes of UTEP). It was like pure comedy!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/25/2010, 01:41 PM
It was in 1997, in Austin. The debacle (for UT fans - a joyous occasion for everyone else) was nicknamed "Rout 66."

I was driving between Alamogordo, N.M., and El Paso that day and picked it up on the radio out of El Paso (home of the newly-minted Longhorn-wannabes of UTEP). It was like pure comedy!Kudos for such a feel-good post...srsly haha