PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper mock draft

okiedokie
1/21/2010, 02:24 PM
ESPN’s Mel Kiper released his first NFL Mock Draft this week, and the Sooners are well represented:

No. 2 Detroit Lions: DT Gerald McCoy
No. 4 Washington Redskins: QB Sam Bradford
No. 13 San Francisco 49ers: OT Trent Williams
No. 25 Baltimore Ravens: TE Jermaine Gresham

not sure if this was posted or not ? plus this is my 100th post!!! wooohoo

swardboy
1/21/2010, 02:32 PM
Is that about where Gresham would have wound up with a good year, or was he significantly hurt by the injury?

Snyder Cyclone
1/21/2010, 02:32 PM
I'll be moderately surprised if ole Trent goes that high and Gresham goes that low in first round.

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 02:37 PM
i won't believe Trent in the first round till i see it

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 02:45 PM
What about the other 100 guys he said were first round guys? Sad news for them?

Salt City Sooner
1/21/2010, 02:53 PM
Hope his draft ends up w/ JG going 4 picks earlier than this. We SO need an every down TE.

CobraKai
1/21/2010, 02:54 PM
i won't believe Trent in the first round till i see it

I kind of agree, but I think Trent will test very well. I saw a quote a while back from Sergio Kindle where he commented about how fast Trent's feet were. You know how much the NFL likes to draft on potential, and potential franchise tackles command high spots.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 02:55 PM
An NFL line coach did wonders with loadholt, they can do the same with TW...

And Gresham is about where he would have been...he was projected anywhere from 15-25 coming in

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 03:52 PM
Is that about where Gresham would have wound up with a good year, or was he significantly hurt by the injury?
With a good 40-time he could have gone higher.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 04:15 PM
Is he not going to the combine because of the injury?

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 04:22 PM
Is he not going to the combine because of the injury?

They will probably all go to the combine, just won't participate in some of the workouts.

josh09
1/21/2010, 04:22 PM
ESPN’s Mel Kiper released his first NFL Mock Draft this week, and the Sooners are well represented:

No. 2 Detroit Lions: DT Gerald McCoy
No. 4 Washington Redskins: QB Sam Bradford
No. 13 San Francisco 49ers: OT Trent Williams
No. 25 Baltimore Ravens: TE Jermaine Gresham

not sure if this was posted or not ? plus this is my 100th post!!! wooohoo

Did he put Clausen in front of Bradford? Because I keep seeing that in some mock drafts, and I just dont understand it one bit.

OU-HSV
1/21/2010, 04:28 PM
Did he put Clausen in front of Bradford? Because I keep seeing that in some mock drafts, and I just dont understand it one bit.

Yeah last I saw he was one of the D-Bags that had Clausen over Sam. Which is STUPID

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 04:43 PM

Clausen has a few things going for him...
1) pro-style system
2) health
3) pretty good arm strength
4) good accuracy, much better than Quinn
5) good mechanics

OU-HSV
1/21/2010, 04:49 PM
Clausen has a few things going for him...
1) pro-style system
2) health
3) pretty good arm strength
4) good accuracy, much better than Quinn
5) good mechanics

Sure he does...but better than Sam Bradford in those categories??
Nope.
Maybe he has the edge in health I guess.

But the way the NFL is run anymore, Kiper and others probably need to take into account that Clausen is an assclown too. Which the NFL seems to frown upon anymore.

So I'm gonna say Sam Bradford, the guy who had better stats...the guy who isn't an assclown...the guy who has proven more on the field...the guy who has solid armstrength and laser accuracy....
well he's the one who should be drafted first. But I'm fine with Sam going to Washington...I think Shanahan would be a great coach to play for.

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 04:50 PM
Clausen got punched like a bitch in the streets of South Bend

he's a bitch ...

:D

badger
1/21/2010, 04:57 PM
Clausen got punched like a bitch in the streets of South Bend

he's a bitch ...

:D

Three years at Notre freaking Dame... and one non-BCS bowl game to show for it.

Hell, even Brady Quinn went to BCS bowls when he was Notre Dame's QB!

This does not bode well for his leadership. Whatever team drafts him does not draft a player with a winning mentality. Jimmy might be a porcupine, but Jimmy's definitely a loser.

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 04:59 PM
Sure he does...but better than Sam Bradford in those categories??
Nope.Maybe he has the edge in health I guess.

But the way the NFL is run anymore, Kiper and others probably need to take into account that Clausen is an assclown too. Which the NFL seems to frown upon anymore.

So I'm gonna say Sam Bradford, the guy who had better stats...the guy who isn't an assclown...the guy who has proven more on the field...the guy who has solid armstrength and laser accuracy....
well he's the one who should be drafted first. But I'm fine with Sam going to Washington...I think Shanahan would be a great coach to play for.

Certainly Clausen has the edge in the system he's coming from. I would give him the edge in mechanics, also. Arm strength, too, in my opinion.

I'd edge Bradford in size, IQ, athleticism, and accuracy. The shoulder is a big thing though.

Just my 2c.

OU-HSV
1/21/2010, 05:09 PM
Certainly Clausen has the edge in the system he's coming from. I would give him the edge in mechanics, also. Arm strength, too, in my opinion.

I'd edge Bradford in size, IQ, athleticism, and accuracy. The shoulder is a big thing though.

Just my 2c.
Well we're just gonna have to disagree on the topic then. Cause I'm not sold on Clausen one bit...and I'm not sold on his Mechanics and armstrength edging out Sam. Of course I've watched Sam play a crap ton more games then I watched Jimmy play. And again Jimmy is a P.O.S.

But I agree the shoulder could be reason to worry, but if given time to heal properly/completely after this surgery...will it be a problem then? I really don't know, but let's say they allow it to completely heal, (unlike the healing at OU between injury one and two), I wonder what the chances of it reinjuring again would be.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 05:11 PM
Durability is a huge issue, especially now that so much money is guaranteed....and honestly, Sam hasn't shown he has it...

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 05:12 PM
but wouldn't anybody get hurt on that landing?

i remember after the Miami - Ohio St game, when Willis McGahee tore his knee up... people said his career could be over... he still came out early and went first round. and his injury was in January, when the draft was in April

Drew Rosenhaus promised people that Willis McGahee would be a first rounder!

oh the McGahee hit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-KkUH8yt8

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 05:18 PM
But Willis had already taken so many hits as a RB that showed his toughness that nobody was scared of taking a chance...and your also talking about the difference in being a top 5 pick that some think Sam is and being in the late 1st round..millions of guaranteed dollars difference...In fact, I don't think Willis received any guaranteed money.

When Sam goes to the combine, their will be about 30 docs there poking and prodding and then the all important interviews.....

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 05:28 PM
will he even be ready for the Combine? i highly doubt it ?

ready as in 100%

OU-HSV
1/21/2010, 05:29 PM
But Willis had already taken so many hits as a RB that showed his toughness that nobody was scared of taking a chance...and your also talking about the difference in being a top 5 pick that some think Sam is and being in the late 1st round..millions of guaranteed dollars difference...In fact, I don't think Willis received any guaranteed money.

When Sam goes to the combine, their will be about 30 docs there poking and prodding and then the all important interviews.....

Good points.

Yeah, what one of my points was in my earlier posts is the difference in the way Sam and Jimmy Clausen's heads are screwed on. I think Sam will have much better interviews than Jimmy. And then of course there's that test (whatever it's called I've drawn a blank)...the one they all take and Vince Young did poorly on. What's that called dangit I forgot?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 05:33 PM
wonderlic

and Clausen's overall maturity is a big reason why I'm not a believer...Clausen has a lot of the measurables, but so did Ryan Leaf

OU-HSV
1/21/2010, 05:34 PM
wonderlic

Thanks
:O

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 05:34 PM
You know, its very well possible the first qb isn' taken til later in the 1st round...

Somebody said, I can't remember who it was, that if there ever was a year to have a 1st round without a qb taken, its this one

Collier11
1/21/2010, 05:36 PM
Bradford hasnt shown he doesnt have durability either, I read and article where they quoted an NFL scout and he said if his shoulder checks out fine at the combine there will be no hesitation to draft him.

A common mistake people make is thinking Bradford got injured twice and he didnt, he had one injury that never healed and he reinjured it trying to come back. The scout said that will make a diff with teams

OU-HSV
1/21/2010, 05:40 PM
Bradford hasnt shown he doesnt have durability either, I read and article where they quoted an NFL scout and he said if his shoulder checks out fine at the combine there will be no hesitation to draft him.

A common mistake people make is thinking Bradford got injured twice and he didnt, he had one injury that never healed and he reinjured it trying to come back. The scout said that will make a diff with teams

Exactly my point from earlier. They (Sam and whoever) never let it completely heal and then he landed on it again the same way as before. So this time after surgery and time to let it heal before letting him get hit by defenders...one has to think with proper healing time he will be good as new

Collier11
1/21/2010, 05:42 PM
Definitely, I hope I didnt steal your thunder as I only read one post in this thread and was responding to that. LOL

Another good thing ive heard is that Dr. James Andrews who performed Bradfords surgery also works for several NFL teams including the Redskins and the Redskins apparently want him so that will only help if Andrews gives them the go ahead

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 06:33 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/jlew1818/gm.jpg

goingoneight
1/21/2010, 06:43 PM
Sam's arm strength and accuracy was as good as it ever was against Baylor. Much like an ankle sprain, it comes back to haunt you if you can't avoid landing on it again.

The surgery was supposedly to prevent future sprains, similar to the surgery Chris Brown had on his knee in the 2008 off-season. Provided it's not a gigantic gash of a surgery (and I heard it was arthroscopic), he should honestly be fine right now. Just limited for precaution's sake until the combine.

RedstickSooner
1/21/2010, 06:52 PM

I know everyone else thinks he didn't lose anything, but I can't help believing he would've moved up as Sam's go-to target all year. As a corollary, I'm assuming that if Gresham would've stayed healthy, Sam wouldn't have taken the shots that knocked him out of the game -- ergo, Sam would've stayed healthy, too. Having a can't-miss tight end to throw to takes a lot out of a pass rush. And makes an offensive line look a lot better than it really is.

A stellar tight end really is like a magic bullet for a team. Line him up as a blocker and you can power run, split him out as a wideout and you're suddenly in the spread -- all without making a single substitution. Combine that with Murray's ability to flare out, and you have an offense that defenses can't afford to go after aggressively.

I may be a giant moran, but I pin most of our sucky season on that single fluke injury to Gresham. I don't know how well we could've done had it not happened, as we still would've suffered from a drop-off on the offensive line, but we certainly would've done better than we did.

Stupid cartilage. Stupid season.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:46 AM
Jermaine wasn't gonna get any taller, put on any more weight, or get better hands...He coulda had a great season and it wouldnt have mattered...A great TE has a value in that range...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:57 AM

Yeah but draft him where?....its not a matter of if he is gonna get drafted

And btw, its more than just the shoulder thing..they'll ask him about the concussion and the shoulder....

And the durability question is up in the air because as one of the best qb people I know says "Bradford is built more like a basketball player than a football player."

I have no problem thinking Bradford goes 4...I could also see him being there for buffalo to take....heck its just as likely he will end up in the 15-20 range...

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 01:58 AM
that damn AP

15-20 range, might be the best thing ever to happen to Sam Bradford

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:00 AM
I still say the perfect place for him would be Indianapolis

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:02 AM
1-20, either way he gets rich, sure there is a big diff but I just want the guy to get what he deserves

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:04 AM

they will have pick 29-32 ?

Peyton has 3 more prime years... and another 4 more years of being a qb... 7 years in my opinion. but what do i know?? I'm hammered and want to fight donks right now

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:05 AM
What if he went there as well as Shipley? I'd like Colt to go there personally. That offense is all about accuracy.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:05 AM
he'll definitely get his...I just hope its the right situation for him...

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:06 AM
idk if Colt could see over that O-Line ... blah blah

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:06 AM
they will have pick 29-32 ?

Peyton has 3 more prime years... and another 4 more years of being a qb... 7 years in my opinion. but what do i know?? I'm hammered and want to fight donks right now

Great pass protecting line at Indy...Peyton usually year in and out is the least sacked guy in the league...

I think Peyton has 3 more prime years, but I see him as a guy who will get out while he is still on top...

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:07 AM
What if he went there as well as Shipley? I'd like Colt to go there personally. That offense is all about accuracy.

Its amazing how much different your attitude is over here compared to orangebloods, I dont think youve ever said a decent thing about a Sooner or a Sooner fan over there but you come over here wanting to discuss???

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:09 AM
lol whats even more funny is the horns on horn fans who think UT has had a better decade than OU

blahhh

finally some logical horns corrected them.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:09 AM

That would be a good fit for him as well...some place where they can protect him and let him make plays...

i see shipley ending up somewhere like Kansas City or miami..especially KC with all of the old NE people running the show

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:10 AM
Shipley = Denver

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:11 AM
I see Denver going after a #1 receiver

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:14 AM
idk if Colt could see over that O-Line ... blah blah
He's taller and more athletic than Brees.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:15 AM
KC wants Shipley as a Welker type from some of what ive read

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:16 AM
Its amazing how much different your attitude is over here compared to orangebloods, I dont think youve ever said a decent thing about a Sooner or a Sooner fan over there but you come over here wanting to discuss???
I'm as anti-Sooner as it gets but I know how to respect fans on their own site. Some of your fans could try that.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:17 AM
yup...a bigger stronger version of ww

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:20 AM
yup...a bigger stronger version of ww
Wes Welker is the man. Sorry to see him go down. Shipley hopes he can be that good.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:22 AM
I'm as anti-Sooner as it gets but I know how to respect fans on their own site. Some of your fans could try that.

I dont speak for any other Sooner fan, just myself. I dont post at any texas sites but I do go to orangebloods every once in a while just to check it out and I see you consistently treat OU fans without any resepct.

I just find it humorous that you can act like that then come over here and want to chit chat but whatev, if you are gonna be respectful over here then so be it

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:22 AM
Any help we can get Cassel will be nice but that would mean I would have to root for Shipley and Charles dammit

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:23 AM
shipley has a lot of the same raw skills...isnt afraid of the 7-9 yard routes...it will take him a year or 2, but i think he can have a long career

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:25 AM
Well unfortunately it looks like if they drafted him my skill players that I would be rooting for would be a Trojan, two horns, and a lsu Tiger, blaht

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:26 AM

yah Colt will probably throw for 35 tds his first year.. 40 his second year :D

and probably have the most wins in the NFL before his career is over

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:27 AM
shipley has a lot of the same raw skills...isnt afraid of the 7-9 yard routes...it will take him a year or 2, but i think he can have a long career

gun to the head

what round is Shipley

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:28 AM
The two differences between Brees and Mccoy

Mccoy doesnt have the super powerful face mole to guide him to greatness
Mccoy will have to break up with his boyfriend Shipley once they are drafted most likely, this will most def affect his performance

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:29 AM
The two differences between Brees and Mccoy

Mccoy doesnt have the super powerful face mole to guide him to greatness
Mccoy will have to break up with his boyfriend Shipley once they are drafted most likely, this will most def affect his performance

naw, Oakland will take both.... STEP, Colt, and Jor Jor will have a party!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:30 AM
gun to the head

what round is Shipley

somewhere in the middle of 2

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:31 AM
well i hope to god Kevin Walter does not leave me

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:31 AM
ohhh by the way... i have been talking to the cincy people bout stuff

http://forums.bearcatnews.com/showthread.php?p=130919#post130919

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:36 AM
A long way from the game but they all seem like nice people, it should be fun

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:37 AM
yep. this summer is gonna suck... and it's not even close to summer ...

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:38 AM
Not bad for me, NY/DC in May, Vegas in July, hopefully Cincy in Sept

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:39 AM
yep, I've been to NY/DC and Vegas... good stuff. seen the trade towers the year before they went down...

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:40 AM
McCoy and Shipley will both be successful at the next level. So will Bradford and Gresham.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:41 AM
Earl Thomas will be good but he shoulda stayed in school IMO

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:41 AM
I'd say 1 of the 4 will be "really" successful, and i don't know which one

too much crap with the NFL.. u really never know..... J. Russell .... B. Quinn ... who knows?

it's an entirely different world, the nfl

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:50 AM
had some deer meat for dinner... but now I'm starving! no food in house!!! i guess i can eat an onion

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:50 AM
I'd say these guys too:

UT: Lamarr Houston, Muckelroy, Kindle, Thomas

Who else from OU is getting drafted? Honest question.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:51 AM
I had Tbell for dinner, it was great which is rare for being sober. I need to find something to eat again

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:53 AM
I'd say these guys too:

Well just guessing but you will likely have Mccoy, Bradford, Gresh, and Williams in the 1st rd

From what I hear Franks is a 2nd rounder

After that who knows, we have several guys who could be late rounders or FA's, STEP will know better than me but you gotta think Chris Brown, Eldridge, and Brian Jackson will probably get drafted

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:53 AM
I'd say these guys too:

G. McCoy, Sam Bradford, Trent Williams, Jermaine Gresham... those 4 our suppose to go in the first round.. but i will believe it when i see it...

D. Franks will be 3 round in my opinion...

K. Clayton might get drafted.. idk really

B. Jackson late round, free agent?

Chris Brown late, or free agent?

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 02:57 AM
Well just guessing but you will likely have Mccoy, Bradford, Gresh, and Williams in the 1st rd

From what I hear Franks is a 2nd rounder

After that who knows, we have several guys who could be late rounders or FA's, STEP will know better than me but you gotta think Chris Brown, Eldridge, and Brian Jackson will probably get drafted

Of course McCoy. He's a beast.

Franks in the 2nd though? I think that might be tough this year. Todd McShay ranked the top jrs eligible this year and he said 26 of the top 30 were going pro. He said you could get 1st round talent in the 3rd round this year.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:00 AM
Yea, Franks will depend on how he works out. I could see him going 2nd and I could see him going 4th honestly

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:01 AM
def a defensive draft

i mean lets just look at the offense ..

Bradford, Clausen, Dez Bryant .... Spiller? T. Williams, Gresham, Okung for sure, Maryland has a big oline guy, ... (not in any order)

there are 32 teams... hell probably 20-24 first round picks will be defense.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:02 AM
Zebra Cakes are the sh*t, I dont usually keep sweets in the house cus I dont eat them if they arent here but I bought some zebra cakes at wally world tonight, so fudging good!

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:03 AM
def a defensive draft

i mean lets just look at the offense ..

Bradford, Clausen, Dez Bryant .... Spiller? T. Williams, Gresham, Okung for sure, Maryland has a big oline guy, ... (not in any order)

there are 32 teams... hell probably 20-24 first round picks will be defense.

This might be one of the best drafts in a long time to get such good value from 1st-7th round

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:04 AM
there is talk of Houston trying to get Dez Bryant.. if Kevin Walter leaves us.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 03:04 AM
Of course McCoy. He's a beast.

Franks in the 2nd though? I think that might be tough this year. Todd McShay ranked the top jrs eligible this year and he said 26 of the top 30 were going pro. He said you could get 1st round talent in the 3rd round this year.

exactly..ive heard franks received a 2 and a 3 grade....so it could be 3 or 4....

brian jackson will go around the same time franks goes...maybe earlier if he can get a decent 40...

eldridge is more than likely a udfa...hard fit into anyones system..he'll get a camp invite for sure...

Chris brown is a later round guy...

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:06 AM
is K. Clayton a NFL DB or LB?

CK claimed at one time that Franks ran a 4.3 and Trent Williams ran a 4.7

let me remind yall that Nic Harris ran a 4.85 at the NFL combine....

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:08 AM
Hey STEP, while you are here...anything new on our guys?

You really think Bjack is a 2-4 guy with a good workout?

I just really think that someone like Eldridge who can play multiple positions and is a best of a blocker has to have value, does he need to get bigger or what?

Is Chris Brown a 3rd down type of guy?

Have you heard anything new on RR? Clayton? Does Tennell have a shot at all?

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:09 AM
the RB Chris Brown has literally ****ed up my life if Houston

the Kicker Kris Brown has literally ****ed up my life in Houston

and they call themselves professionals/ ?

I would think that RR career is over ..... i bet he would be a great coach .

Tennel said on facebook that he was "deciding on rather to finish his degree, or try to get drafted"

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:22 AM
1 more beer and I'm going to bed!

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:23 AM
weak sauce, I just started

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:25 AM
i got nothing but porn scenes to make tomorrow

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:27 AM
so no need to hit the sack just yet, have a few more

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:28 AM
Maisel coaches of decade ....

It is seen as a symptom of what ails college football that the two best coaches of the past 10 years had never been college head coaches when the decade began and barely made it to the end of the 2009 season.

The financial rewards are greater than ever.

So are the demands.

In that cauldron of expectation, however, the coaches at the top of our list resurrected once-great programs that had lost their way. USC had wandered in the desert for 20 years, Florida for only three. Yet the speed with which the Trojans and Gators returned to their winning ways highlighted a change in the sport. Coaches rarely get five years to prove themselves any longer. That pressure makes these coaches special all the more.

1. Urban Meyer, Bowling Green/Utah/Florida
He won in two seasons at Bowling Green. He won two Mountain West Conference championships in two seasons at Utah. And he won two national championships at Florida. In nine seasons, Meyer had a record of 96-18 (.842). He is 6-1 in bowl games, 2-1 in SEC championship games and 4-1 against Georgia. Meyer restored the Gators to the top of the SEC, where they spent most of the '90s. However, Meyer ended the decade unsure when and whether he would coach again.

2. Pete Carroll, USC
Carroll, a two-time washout as an NFL head coach, arrived in Los Angeles to snickers. He left earlier this month after nine seasons of unprecedented success. Under Carroll, the Trojans performed on the field (97-19, .836 winning percentage) and won two national championships, seven consecutive Pac-10 titles and three Heisman Trophies in a four-year period. Carroll's teams went 7-2 in bowls and, more important, 8-1 versus Notre Dame.

3. Nick Saban, LSU/Alabama
The first coach in the history of the sport to win national championships at two different schools would be higher were it not for the two-year hiatus he took from the SEC to coach in the NFL. Saban took LSU from the bottom to the top and Alabama from the middle to the top. In five years at LSU, Saban went 48-16 (.750) with two league titles and the 2003 crystal football. In three years with the Crimson Tide, Saban has gone 33-8 (.805). His 2009 national champions became the first in league history to finish 14-0.

4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Stoops won the first national championship of the decade in his second season with the Sooners. He hasn't won another one. But Oklahoma's four appearances in the BCS National Championship Game led the nation in the past 10 years. The Sooners won six Big 12 titles in seven championship game appearances and finished with a record of 110-24 (.821). They also won the decade against archrival Texas (6-4). Stoops produced two Heisman winners and turned away speculation that he ever wanted to coach anywhere else.

5. Mack Brown, Texas
Brown began the decade known for being the most successful coach never to win a conference championship. He ended it with the highest winning percentage (110-19, .853) of any 10-year coach -- and two Big 12 titles. The Longhorns won at least 10 games in the past nine seasons and went 7-3 in bowls and 3-1 in BCS bowls. Why not rank him higher? Brown's winning percentage is higher than Stoops' in part because he coached in five fewer games this past decade. Brown made it to only three Big 12 championship games. Stoops coached in seven.

6. Jim Tressel, Youngstown State/Ohio State
In nine seasons, Tressel won one national championship, played for two more and won six Big Ten championships. He is 94-21 (.817) with the Buckeyes and went 9-4 in 2000 at FCS Youngstown State. Tressel transformed Ohio State into a repository of antique football. His Buckeyes won the old-fashioned way with defense, field position and special teams. The three consecutive losses in BCS bowls from 2006 to '08 made Ohio State look another kind of old-fashioned: slow and outdated. Tressel shrugged off the criticism. Besides, Ohio State went 8-1 against Michigan. Does any other result matter?

7. Brian Kelly, Grand Valley State/Central Michigan/Cincinnati
Kelly climbed the ladder throughout the decade. In four seasons at Grand Valley State, he won two Division II national championships, played for a third and finished 48-6. In three seasons at Central Michigan, he rebuilt the Chippewas into a MAC champion. And in three seasons at Cincinnati, he built the Bearcats, a newcomer in the Big East, into a two-time league champion. Kelly's record at the three schools: 102-28 (.785). Now he has reached the highest-profile job in the game. If Kelly remakes Notre Dame as he did his past three schools, he'll finish the next decade even higher on this list.

8. Chris Petersen, Boise State
In only four seasons, Petersen has lifted the Broncos from mid-major champion to national contender. His career record is 49-4 (.925), including a 14-0 record in 2009. He is 2-0 in BCS bowls and has won three WAC championships. Peterson's Broncos are 4-1 against schools from conferences with an automatic BCS bid. Those five games show not only his talent but also the hardship under which he operates. The bigger, wealthier schools won't play Boise State. With more seasons, he would be ranked higher.

9. Larry Coker, Miami
Yes, he got fired after the 2006 season. But in the previous six, Coker went 60-15 (.800). He won one national championship and lost a second one in double overtime to Ohio State. Coker's Hurricanes won three Big East championships and went 4-2 in bowl games. They also went 5-2 against archrival Florida State. Coker did have the dubious distinction of losing as many or more games in each succeeding season, concluding with the 7-6 record in 2006. But the results are what they are. His predecessor, Butch Davis, took the Hurricanes to the edge of the promised land. With Coker, they entered it.

10. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech
When the Hokies left the Big East for the ACC, they immediately rose to the top of their new league. Beamer's Hokies have won three ACC championships in six seasons. Their record of 99-32 (.756) during the decade transformed Beamer from a good coach into a certain future Hall of Fame inductee. Beamer made blocking kicks sexy, and with him in charge, Lane Stadium became one of the toughest places to play in the game. Beamer begins the 2010s tied for second with Tressel among active coaches in all-time victories with 229.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:29 AM
Id say its about right but Carroll might be #1

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:32 AM
yah i go ahead and give it to Urban... turned 3 teams around.... i mean Florida was not horrible at the time, but he won 2 titles with them in his time

I'm glad people realize Stoops is above Mack

Collier11
1/22/2010, 03:36 AM
Yea, it is close, I guess since I really dont consider usc as a two time natl champion that Meyer needs to be #1

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:42 AM
yah the media gives them 2, some give them 1

i just say 1.5 lol

OU_Sooners75
1/22/2010, 03:59 AM
8. Chris Petersen, Boise State
In only four seasons, Petersen has lifted the Broncos from mid-major champion to national contender. His career record is 49-4 (.925), including a 14-0 record in 2009. He is 2-0 in BCS bowls and has won three WAC championships. Peterson's Broncos are 4-1 against schools from conferences with an automatic BCS bid. Those five games show not only his talent but also the hardship under which he operates. The bigger, wealthier schools won't play Boise State. With more seasons, he would be ranked higher.

No, they are willing to play them, but Boise State thinks they deserve a home and home.

Though I think it would be cool for OU to go up there and beat the **** out of them on that blue turf!

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 04:02 AM
Boise goes to VT this year!!! yahhh!!!

stoopified
1/22/2010, 07:13 AM
Selfishly I would like to see Sam slid down the board and end up with the Vikings,although I would LMAO if the Titans got him and he beatout VY.In the real world though I don't Sam going to a Shanahan coached Redskin team is a bad thing.It definitely beats playing for the Lions.

delhalew
1/22/2010, 07:58 AM
Clauson was not ahead of Bradford.

1 Seau. Neb
2 GK. OU
3 Eric Berry. Tenn
4. Bradford. OU
5. Okung OSU

4 of 5 Big 12
2 of 5 OU

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 09:49 AM
Hey STEP, while you are here...anything new on our guys?

You really think Bjack is a 2-4 guy with a good workout?

I just really think that someone like Eldridge who can play multiple positions and is a best of a blocker has to have value, does he need to get bigger or what?

Is Chris Brown a 3rd down type of guy?

Have you heard anything new on RR? Clayton? Does Tennell have a shot at all?

If Jackson can run a good time, I think so...What he is good at is what the NFL likes..he can play a physical game...He is a little stiff in the hips though...

Eldridge needs weight....I said a while back that BE's draft status is going to be determined by how much weight he can carry and still move his feet and get a good lateral movement...The guy is a great blocker but I just don't think he translates into the NFL

Nothing new on RR....There are a hand full of teams that like him, including the Eagles, who mentioned "parking him in the garage" for a season and letting him get completely healed up...UDFA more than likely though

Chris Brown, IMO, is not a third down back...He will have a hard time making a roster..I'm very interested to see how he tests out though

rawlingsHOH
1/22/2010, 09:53 AM

I don't see Colt as an NFL prospect. I don't like his arm at all. Not required to make pro throws, etc. Just my opinion.

Could be wrong though, I didn't like Drew Brees either.

rawlingsHOH
1/22/2010, 09:57 AM
G. McCoy, Sam Bradford, Trent Williams, Jermaine Gresham... those 4 our suppose to go in the first round.. but i will believe it when i see it...

D. Franks will be 3 round in my opinion...

K. Clayton might get drafted.. idk really

B. Jackson late round, free agent?

Chris Brown late, or free agent?

I can see Brian Simmons going late. K. Clayton will have to move back to safety for a shot. I think B. Jackson get picked for sure, 4th/5th round.

Again, 2 years ago, who would have believed Auston English wouldn't have even been mentioned?

badger
1/22/2010, 10:02 AM
I don't see Colt as an NFL prospect. I don't like his arm at all. Not required to make pro throws, etc. Just my opinion.

Could be wrong though, I didn't like Drew Brees either.

Either the Cowboys or the Texans might give him a chance, much like D gave the Aggie QB a chance. Those gigantic fanbases who think their QBs can do no wrong will folllow them in the pros if given a chance.

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 10:56 AM
Colt will definitely get his shot. We'll soon see.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 11:22 AM
Oh and Adron Tennell is rated as the 50th-60th best WR available for the draft....

Collier11
1/22/2010, 11:45 AM
Cool, thanks for the info STEP, that is crazy with Tennell cus of all the talent he has but thats what injuries and inconsistency will do

My Opinion Matters
1/22/2010, 12:11 PM
Oh and Adron Tennell is rated as the 50th-60th best WR available for the draft....

The way I read this is that there is hope for all of us to be an NFL wide receiver.

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 12:53 PM
Brees and Welkers... those are like the 1 out of 1 millions in their position.

people act like Colt will be the next Brees, and Shipley the next Welker... lol

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:29 PM
Exactly...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:30 PM
The way I read this is that there is hope for all of us to be an NFL wide receiver.

After 3 knee surgeries and a 4th on the way, Im the 49th rated WR

starclassic tama
colt has nowhere near the arm that brees had/has

JLEW1818
and Tennell the next Jerry Rice, as i heard STEP say before.....

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:17 PM
He has a better chance of being the next Condalisa Rice

Collier11
1/22/2010, 02:20 PM
STEP= the next Donald Rumsfeld
Jlew= the next Pee Wee Herman

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:27 PM
im not sure what that means

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 03:49 PM
colt has nowhere near the arm that brees had/has
Colt was at Archie Manning's camp last summer and the NFL HOFer disagrees with you. He said he could make all the throws and was a great leader. In fact, he liked his play more than Bradford's. Just sayin.

And Shipley's numbers are better than Welker's were in college. Jordan should've won the Biletnikoff this year. Don't think comparisons to Brees and Welker are a stretch at all. I may be biased though.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 03:53 PM
IMO, Colt is more Kevin Kolb than Brees..which isn't a bad comparison...

And I guarantee you Colt is better than anything San Francisco is fielding, Carolina as well...

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:53 PM
yah Dicky V said Tyler Hansbrough should be the first pick in the NBA draft....

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 03:54 PM
doosh vitale

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:54 PM
part of Colts game was running the football... now lets take that away..

now what ?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 03:58 PM
Look at what Kolb did in Houston....Heck he was taking snaps IN MOTION and ran one of the most gimmicky offenses out there...very similar...

Probably the best comparison to Colt McCoy is Jeff Garcia

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:58 PM
heh. what team does Kolb start for?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 03:59 PM
Well in his first 2 starts, he threw for 300 in each..first player ever

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 04:01 PM
damn, Oakland should get him

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 04:06 PM
part of Colts game was running the football... now lets take that away..

now what ?
Well, I imagine he'll continue to throw TDs like he always does. He threw for 3,900 yds and 34 TDs as a junior and 3,500 yds and 27 TDs as a senior, both of the years he was invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Oh yeah, and he won more college football games (45) than any starting QB in NCAA history. He must be doing something right.

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 04:10 PM
college stats nice.

Bradford was 50 for 8, and idk if he will be a great NFL QB

Herr Scholz
1/22/2010, 04:15 PM
Bradford will be VERY successful in the NFL IMO.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 05:02 PM
im not sure what that means

You wouldnt Rumsfeld

rawlingsHOH
1/22/2010, 05:06 PM
Well, I imagine he'll continue to throw TDs like he always does. He threw for 3,900 yds and 34 TDs as a junior and 3,500 yds and 27 TDs as a senior, both of the years he was invited to the Heisman ceremony.

Oh yeah, and he won more college football games (45) than any starting QB in NCAA history. He must be doing something right.

White went 40 TDs / 8 INTs one season. Stats don't equate to NFL success.

You want to talk about winning? How has David Greene turned out in the NFL? Who? The UGA QB who's record Colt broke.

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:08 PM
nice record by Colt, but to only win his conference once during those four years, and zero national titles? ahhh

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 05:13 PM
Colt is as least equal with Alex Smith or Jake Delhomme

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:14 PM
Alex Smith is way richer!

Collier11
1/22/2010, 05:15 PM
Well saying that winning your conf or a natl title matters doesnt equate either Jlew, see Tee Martin, see Matt Leinart, See Charlie Ward, etc... it all comes down to the player and the system. Hell, Peyton Manning never won anything big in college and those guys above did.

Colt Mccoy needs to fit into the right system but if he does I think he will be a decent QB

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:17 PM
ah ha!!!! not my point..... you would figure the all time win holder, would have a little better resume ...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 05:18 PM
David Greene's wasn't too good either

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:20 PM
it's def an accomplishment, i just don't think its that meaningful

I would take Tebow career over McCoys...

the 2 are not ever comparable ... :D

Collier11
1/22/2010, 05:20 PM
Colt won a cpl of BCS games, I dont think David Greene did

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 05:22 PM
Ken Dorsey won a lot of games too

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:22 PM
a better win% than Colt and Tebow and Vince !

38-2

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 05:25 PM
and Dorsey played with crap talent around him

Collier11
1/22/2010, 05:28 PM
Dorsey had a decent NFL career as well

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:29 PM
$50 bucks Colts record gets broken during the 2011-12 season..

any takers?

Collier11
1/22/2010, 05:45 PM
By who, Kellen Moore?

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:50 PM
yup

26-1 through 2 years

Collier11
1/22/2010, 05:51 PM
20 wins in his last two years should be cake for him

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 05:53 PM
the horns won't claim it...

u heard it first

Collier11
1/22/2010, 06:00 PM
Bad news Jlew, The Bengals drafted Bradford on my Madden game

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 06:01 PM
what the eff?

Collier11
1/22/2010, 06:03 PM
yep, he is tearing me up right now

OU-HSV
1/22/2010, 07:41 PM
Bad news Jlew, The Bengals drafted Bradford on my Madden game

Dude, why didn't you draft him??
I use the Vikings as my fantasy team, and I've drafted and picked up several Sooners including Bradford, Gresham and also Dom Franks is awesome on my team

Collier11
1/22/2010, 07:46 PM
they picked way before me, I did get Brian Jackson in rd 5

OU-HSV
1/22/2010, 07:48 PM
I got Jackson as well. He's my 4th CB on my depth chart and he's my backup returner behind Harvin.
I had one draft where I worked a bunch of trades that got me a lot of early picks. Think I had 2 first round picks and 2 or 3 second round picks the year I drafted Sam, Gresham, Franks and so on.
Oh yeah, I drafted Clapp one year too. He is very good. He's the only FB I keep on my roster.

Collier11
1/22/2010, 07:51 PM
nice

OU-HSV
1/22/2010, 07:58 PM
Damn, didn't even mention Chris Brown. He's my 3rd RB.
And those players are only some of the Sooners I drafted....I counted the other night and I have 19 Sooners on my roster. It's pretty funny

rawlingsHOH
1/22/2010, 11:07 PM
Colt is as least equal with Alex Smith or Jake Delhomme

One of my rare good calls on QBs was back in 05. Said 9ers were crazy drafting Smith, and Rodgers would be a steal for the Packers.

OU-HSV
1/23/2010, 12:20 AM
One of my rare good calls on QBs was back in 05. Said 9ers were crazy drafting Smith, and Rodgers would be a steal for the Packers.

Nice. Spek for sure there. More spek if you can drag a thread up to prove it from '05 :D

VA Sooner
1/23/2010, 08:03 PM
Clausen may be talented... but there's no denying that he's a set-up for trouble at the next level if he doesn't get his attitude adjusted.

Natural born leader in Sam... numbers at the Combine will be the difference-maker. Here's to a speedy recovery, Sam.