PDA

View Full Version : A Salt question ?

olevetonahill
1/21/2010, 12:09 PM
I have always way over used salt on my food . (Thanks C-Rats)
Now My question if anyone knows .
I figured out Reg. salt aint good fer ya .
Is Sea Salt Better? if not , what Salt should I switch to ?
Thanks

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 12:16 PM
Salt is salt, from what I understand. Iodized salt is probably the most nutritious.

Sea salt and other salts taste different and melt/mix differently in the food you make, but I believe chemically it does the same stuff. :( Sorry, bud.

olevetonahill
1/21/2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks bro. Guess I gonna switch to one of those nasty Salt substitutes :(

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 12:36 PM
There are other spices you can use to kick things up. I like making things spicy, and you can use garlic or lemon/lime juice to add flavor.

olevetonahill
1/21/2010, 12:38 PM
Oh trust me Bro , I use Garlic a lot. I got to get some more of that also .:D

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/21/2010, 01:12 PM
They make a "lite" salt made with potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride. My dad used that after his heart attack.

Wheres OUDoc when you need him?

soonerbrat
1/21/2010, 01:17 PM
use Mrs. Dash...it's pretty good.

but yeah, salt is salt.

olevetonahill
1/21/2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks all .

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2010, 01:26 PM
Salt is salt, from what I understand. Iodized salt is probably the most nutritious.

Sea salt and other salts taste different and melt/mix differently in the food you make, but I believe chemically it does the same stuff. :( Sorry, bud.

Salt is salt

Iodized salt, while not being more nutritious than "sea salt" is healthier becuase it provides iodine, essential for thyroid health. Many people prior to its requirement had preventable diseases.

Sea salt tastes different, but if used to cook, would not be able to tell the difference. You may tell on raw foods or after cooking.

soonerbrat
1/21/2010, 01:27 PM
Kosher salt is non-iodized.

OhU1
1/21/2010, 01:37 PM
Sea salt is marginally better than pure table salt because it contains "impurities" from the ocean which also contribute to sea salt's other flavors. So to the extent that the impurities reduce the total volume of salt it would be a a "lighter" salt.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:49 PM
Replace the the table salt with Bacon. It has more protein than regular salt!

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:50 PM
Sea salt is marginally better than pure table salt because it contains "impurities" from the ocean which also contribute to sea salt's other flavors. So to the extent that the impurities reduce the total volume of salt it would be a a "lighter" salt.

We all float down here.

fossil
1/21/2010, 03:17 PM
They make a "lite" salt made with potassium chloride rather than sodium chloride. My dad used that after his heart attack.

Wheres OUDoc when you need him?

I just switched to the Morton's Lite Salt and frankly, I cannot tell the difference. It is much lower in sodium than the regular salt. I also have a bad habit of salting everything on my plate before tasting it. Lite Salt is a good alternative.

SoonerNate
1/21/2010, 03:40 PM
Yes, Sea Salt is much healthier for you.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2010, 04:52 PM
Replace the the table salt with Bacon. It has more protein than regular salt!

Bacon spek!

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 04:59 PM
Bacon is the spekkiest!

proud gonzo
1/21/2010, 09:29 PM
If you need more flavor, try squeezing on a little lemon or lime juice. A little acidity might make a decent substitute for saltiness.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/22/2010, 12:14 AM
Along those same lines, my grandpa would dash a lil' vinegar on stuff in lieu of salt after his MI.

Either plain ol' white vinegar or the stuff with the peppers in the bottle, either way. It actually ain't that bad.

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/22/2010, 12:28 AM
Along those same lines, my grandpa would dash a lil' vinegar on stuff in lieu of salt after his MI.

Either plain ol' white vinegar or the stuff with the peppers in the bottle, either way. It actually ain't that bad.

The red & green peppers in vinegar are the bomb on just about everything (except maybe doughnuts)

proud gonzo
1/22/2010, 02:00 AM
red wine vinegar is good too. or apple cider vinegar

Zbird
1/23/2010, 11:06 PM
I have always way over used salt on my food . (Thanks C-Rats)
Now My question if anyone knows .
I figured out Reg. salt aint good fer ya .
Is Sea Salt Better? if not , what Salt should I switch to ?
Thanks

Go to a health food store and get some no-salt SPIKE as a salt sub. Make sure its the no-salt because they have one that uses salt too. Or get Potassium chloride (Kcl) which is a salt, but not the Sodium chloride like table salt (Nacl). I think the sodium is what you need to avoid. Maybe OU Doc can clarify, but I don't think small amounts of the Potassium are harmful.