PDA

View Full Version : So who is missing from the rafters?

soonervegas
1/21/2010, 10:53 AM
I am stealing this from another poster's comment on a game thread.....but who do you think should have their number retired at the LNC?

Currently we have:

Blaylock
King
Adams
Tisdale

My thoughts:

Price - when?
Griffin - lock.

Am I missing anyone?

BillyBall
1/21/2010, 11:04 AM
Jason Skurcenski

the_ouskull
1/21/2010, 11:52 AM
Ryan Minor. Eddie Najera. Oh, and Oleg. Seeing a 7'0" (well, 6'9" and skinny) foreigner wandering around Dallas drunk and wearing some goofy-*ssed hat on OU/Tejas weekend sealed that deal for me.

the_ouskull

badger
1/21/2010, 11:55 AM
Blake Griffin definitely. I know he was only here for two years, but as our first Naismith Winner (that's the equivalent of the Heisman for you football board lurkers), he deserves it.

The only problem I foresee is the fact that he had Wayman's number... but I think Blake respected and honored Wayman throughout his time as a Sooner, as well as before and after his time at OU (for example, asking Wayman for his number and attending Wayman's funeral here in Tulsa) that most OU fans wouldn't have a problem with Blake being honored with the No. 23 as well.

Thoughts?

PS: Hollis led us to a Final Four and an Elite Eight. What other qualifications does he have? I am not asking this rhetorically, I'm asking because other than team achievements, I'm wondering what he did to merit an individual honor equal to that of Mookie, Stacey and Wayman... Adams too :)

ouleaf
1/21/2010, 06:14 PM
Hollis was the Big 12 POY and an All-American as far as individual accomplishments go. Hollis was just about everything you could want in a basketball player. A great shooter, always gave 100%, a team leader, and good Bball IQ. He definitely deserves to be added to the group.

I think Eddie should be added up there as well. He's been our only guy in the NBA for quite some time now, with the exception of Blake and Taylor(sort of) this year

ndpruitt03
1/21/2010, 07:04 PM
Lester Lane is way overdue. Najera, Griffin, Hollis Price will get there eventually.

OUmillenium
1/22/2010, 10:30 AM
Mike Bell and Andre Wiley, dunkfest deserves retirement right?

fwsooner22
1/22/2010, 10:50 AM
Won't be Bo Overton I guess.............

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/22/2010, 11:20 AM
Griffin, Najera,Price, Minor

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2010, 12:40 PM
Calvin "Shooting from the Locker Room" Curry

King Crimson
1/22/2010, 05:01 PM
on the subject of retiring numbers, i would have stopped with Adams, Mookie and Tisdale. and possibly Blake, but you know? that's Tisdale.

that's the same number # 23.

fun with numbers is fun with Price and others. maybe Hollis. no one else is in the real discussion unless you want to honor the old guys, which i am not uninfavor of. Don Sidle, Clifford Ray, etc.

Oklahoma has possibly the most underrated BASKETBALL history among it's so-called fans of any school ever.

NMSooner'80
1/22/2010, 06:02 PM
Should probably be there (old-school or semi-recent)

1. Don Sidle
2. Gar Heard
3. Clifford Ray
4. Harvey Grant
5. John McCullough

King Crimson
1/22/2010, 06:08 PM
Gar Heard, for sure.

great player, great coach, great human being.

Sooner04
1/22/2010, 10:25 PM
Lester Lane

the_ouskull
1/22/2010, 11:57 PM
Clubber Lang.

the_ouskull

Collier11
1/23/2010, 01:58 AM
Blake, Hollis, Najera...no to minor

ndpruitt03
1/23/2010, 03:04 AM
Lane has to be up there. It's a joke that he isn't up there really. All American, first 1000 point scorer in school history, Olympic Champ. He was about to be a coach here before the fatal heart attack. He died a Sooner.

Blake is probably the only guy that gets it for one great year. But he was the best player in the country by far that year. Very few people are unanimous player of the year. He won that award in every poll he was in.

Najera could do it all. He was a shut down defender and could score in the post or shoot from the outside. He is still in the NBA.

Hollis was the heart of a Final Four and Elite 8 runs. He probably doesn't have the single year stats of the others but he's not that far off either. He basically took over as a leader from his Sophomore year on. And was an All American also.

Minor is close he had back to back 20+ point seasons was also a guy that could score in a lot of ways like Najera. I think I'm with Collier in leaving him off, although it's really close.

Collier11
1/23/2010, 03:11 AM
Getting your jersey retired isnt about numbers to me, its about the impact you made and Blake, Najera, and Price made a huge impact on OU hoops, not minor. I remember when Hollis had his senior night I was in tears