PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor epoxy

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 10:31 AM
We are building a new house and I'm wanting to use a garage epoxy on the floor. Has anyone ever tried the do-it-yourself version of this stuff? Lowe's offers Quikrete (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=224198-4-002.0050020.022&lpage=none) and Rust-Oleum (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=16697-90-251963&lpage=none) at reasonable prices. It would probably cost a couple hundred to do compared to $5-7000 for a professional to do it. I have read mixed reviews about it though and I'm afraid that no matter how many coats I use, that it will still peel off or have roller marks. What say you?

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/883/garagefloor32.jpg

SoonerJack
1/21/2010, 11:20 AM
heck, for a couple of hundred go try it and send it the pictures. then report back after a year with more pictures.

I have wanted to do this as well.

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 11:27 AM
I don't want it peeling up though and looking like ****. I would rather just have the bare garage concrete instead of chipped up and peeling epoxy.

I think a lot of the bad reviews I have read are because the people aren't using it correctly. I think you have to put a coat or two on it and then a clear coat and let it set the right amount of time. I think some people are just driving on it too soon and it is sticking to their tires.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2010, 11:45 AM
prep, prep, prep.

You need to acid wash the concrete first, then apply as directed. I have been told the two-part systems that you mix and then apply are better than others. Do not walk on/park on until well cured - usualy a couple of days.

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/21/2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20174654,00.html

I would expect a new floor should take the epoxy pretty well but I've only seen it done. Never done it myself.

And I think T.H.A. is correct. Good prep is the hard part.

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 02:01 PM
prep, prep, prep.

You need to acid wash the concrete first, then apply as directed. I have been told the two-part systems that you mix and then apply are better than others. Do not walk on/park on until well cured - usualy a couple of days.

I have heard that not prepping the floor correctly is one of the major reasons for the epoxy not sticking. The sets tell you to use the acid wash before and scrub it well.

CobraKai
1/21/2010, 02:58 PM
I did it using the Rustoleum. Mine looks just like the pic above. I did it myself, over a long weekend, and 3 years later it still looks great. As mentioned, there are 3 keys to doing this job right:

1. Test for moisture before trying it. You can duct tape a 12x12 piece of plastic (trash bag is what i used) to the floor overnight. The next day pull it up and see if condensation accumulated under the bag. If it did, I would not proceed. There are ways to water seal first, but I would just pass on the job.
2. Prep, prep, prep...follow the directions to etch/degrease your floor.
3. Let it cure

Bottom line, if you want the floor, do it yourself. It was not too bad of a job, and there is no way I would pay several K to have it done.

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 03:09 PM
Did you use one or two coats of epoxy? Did you use a clear coat?

CobraKai
1/21/2010, 03:13 PM
I used the two-part epoxy and did not use a clear coat. Incidentally, my dad had the same thing done to his floor about 8-9 years ago and it still looks like new.

Breadburner
1/21/2010, 03:33 PM
I would go with a 2 part urethane......http://www.tennantco.com/

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 03:54 PM
I used the two-part epoxy and did not use a clear coat. Incidentally, my dad had the same thing done to his floor about 8-9 years ago and it still looks like new.

But did you roll on 1 or 2 coats?

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 03:55 PM
A proper man's garage floor has a carefully applied coat of oil, greese, beer, and puke.

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 04:12 PM
I can carefully apply it once the epoxy is down. :D

CobraKai
1/21/2010, 04:24 PM
But did you roll on 1 or 2 coats?

One coat, as per the instructions in the kit I purchased. The epoxy has the consistency of melted rubber, so it really only needs one coat.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 04:52 PM
Of course it's the consisteny of rubber...It is a form of protection after all.

C&CDean
1/21/2010, 04:52 PM
My only question is this:

Have you pulled a vehicle in on it yet?

If you've got brand new concrete that is fully cured, and nary a drop of oil/grease/gas/antifreeze/brake fluid or even tires has been pulled up on it then you'll have a perfect floor.

If there have been grease/oil/gas tires, etc. then even though you do all the prep work, you're gonna have some problems. All these guys claiming perfect floors after xxx years obviously don't use their garages/shops as a place to work on vehicles, etc.

I have been involved in several attempts at sealing garage floors. Different chemicals, etc. None of them really work if the floor has already had stuff spilled on it. You can clean and etch it all you want. You put down the epoxy, and it looks great - and will continue to look great - until you start to use the place as a shop again. The first time you pull your roll-away and catch a rock with one of the wheels the **** comes up. Or pull a car in when it's 110 degrees outside and you've been driving awhile. If your tires stop over a spot where there used to be oil or anything you will pull the epoxy up when you go to pull the vehicle back out the next day.

In my big shop I just have raw concrete that has a sealer mixed in with the mix. Oil spills, etc. clean up pretty good, but they still leave a slight stain. But hey, a garage that is used as a garage shouldn't have a pretty floor.

Boomer.....
1/21/2010, 05:01 PM
It will be on a brand new garage floor. If I go this route, I will probably start a day or two after closing before anything is on the garage floor. It won't be heavily used but I did worry about hot tires resting on it.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/22/2010, 01:01 AM
Why would you do this at all?

Not to sound smart-***, but if it's a garage for parking cars in, why do you need a floor coating?

Boomer.....
1/22/2010, 09:49 AM
Why would you do this at all?

Not to sound smart-***, but if it's a garage for parking cars in, why do you need a floor coating?

From the link above:

You finally got the tools hanging neatly on an outlined pegboard, and all the paint is organized in carefully labeled cabinets. But now your car is jealous, sitting like a lump on the oily, dirty concrete slab. You still need to put the finishing touch on the garage cleanup: a colorful, shiny epoxy floor coating that will have you—and your car—feeling like you’re driving into a showroom every time you come home.

Epoxy not only tops off the pro look but also resists oil stains, beads water, and wipes clean like a kitchen counter. Color chips and custom paint colors hide annoying imperfections in the concrete, and antiskid additives give you the grip you need on a snowy day.

goingoneight
1/22/2010, 01:00 PM
You can never fix a garage floor permanantly with epoxy or paint. Tires, weather and just walking eventually wears on it and it either chips up or peels. My parents has theirs done on a brand-new garage floor professionally. It lasted for about 6 months.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/22/2010, 02:20 PM
^^^^

That's why if I ever get the garage floor done, I will look at the tile systems or the professional coverings.