PDA

View Full Version : ESPN, Oklahoma All-Decade Team

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 12:43 AM
By Tim Griffin

Oklahoma was the dominant program of the last decade in the Big 12, leading the conference with six titles, seven conference title-game appearances and four BCS title-game appearances.

All of those accomplishments are a testament to Bob Stoops, one of two conference coaches to direct his team throughout the decade.

Setting the Sooners’ all-decade team was difficult. The choice at wide receiver next to Mark Clayton was extremely difficult. Malcolm Kelly, Juaquin Iglesias or Ryan Broyles all would have been good choices. I went with Broyles because of his proficiency despite constant double-team defenses this season when he produced 89 receptions.

And at quarterback, I went with Sam Bradford over Jason White in a tough positional choice between two Heisman Trophy winners.

Here’s my choice for Oklahoma’s all-decade team.

OFFENSE

QB: Sam Bradford

RB: Adrian Peterson

RB: Quentin Griffin

WR: Mark Clayton

WR: Ryan Broyles

TE: Jermaine Gresham

OL: Jammal Brown

OL: Trent Williams

OL: Davin Joseph

OL: Phil Loadholt

C: Vince Carter

DEFENSE

DL: Dan Cody

DL: Tommie Harris

DL: Gerald McCoy

DL: Jeremy Beal

LB: Teddy Lehman

LB: Rocky Calmus

LB: Curtis Lofton

DB: Derrick Strait

DB: Roy Williams

DB: Andre Woolfolk

DB: Brandon Everage

K: Garrett Hartley

P: Jeff Ferguson

Ret: Ryan Broyles

Offensive player of the decade: QB Sam Bradford. He became the first quarterback in Big 12 history to lead his team to back-to-back titles, capping his sophomore season by throwing for 50 touchdowns and earning the Heisman Trophy. His final season in college didn’t go as expected, but he still leaves school as a player who will be immortalized with a statue at Owen Field in the not-too-distant future.

Defensive player of the decade: S Roy Williams. He was such a natural that Bob Stoops created a position “the Roy” especially for his talents. He set the standard as a physical run-stuffing safety and sealed his legacy with the hit on Chris Simms that sealed the 2001 victory over Texas.

Coach of the decade: Bob Stoops. The only coach of the decade for the Sooners had more unprecedented early success than any coach in Big 12 history, winning the national championship in his second season and claiming a record six conference championships. They aren’t calling him “Big Game Bob” as much as before, but Stoops still ranks among the most pivotal figures in Big 12 history.

Most memorable moment of the decade: On a misty night at Pro Player Stadium, the Sooners’ defense turned in a masterful performance to claim the 2001 Orange Bowl and bring home the 2000 national championship. Josh Heupel managed to direct the offense despite a sore elbow and the Oklahoma defense would have pitched a shutout in a 13-2 triumph over Florida State except for a special-teams safety in the final minute of play.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/9749/oklahomas-all-decade-team

sooner59
1/21/2010, 12:45 AM
Broyles as returner? He is good, but didn't some guy named Antonio Perkins set an NCAA record for that or something? :D.

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 12:46 AM
lol yah, i emailed him!

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 12:50 AM
That's a pretty stupid mistake/omission!

sooner59
1/21/2010, 12:54 AM
Texas Tech punt returner of the decade: Jeffers Harrison

I ain't never heard of no Welker guy, dur, dur, dur......ESPN!!!

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2010, 01:00 AM
Is Jeremy Beal really that good to be in the top-4 of this decade?

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 01:02 AM
i never was sold on Trent...

"oh he will just move right on over to left tackle"

he is not a top 5 OU lineman

GottaHavePride
1/21/2010, 01:07 AM
The problem with lists like this is that people like JD ****in' Runnels get left off. :mad:

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 01:25 AM
Is Jeremy Beal really that good to be in the top-4 of this decade?

he's arguably the #2 DE. so he can claim a spot. though the guy listed "DL". so I guess Dusty D (a 3rd DT) should probably get the nod.

He also took 3 OTs, 1 Guard and 1 Center. I liked his OL picks, but I'd go Cooper over Carter for sure! Kudos for properly evaluating Duke R. He was good, not great, regardless of his awards. Davin was much better, just not the pub.

sooner59
1/21/2010, 01:26 AM
The problem with lists like this is that people like JD ****in' Runnels get left off. :mad:

Yeah, I thought that, too.

And LL, you may be right. We have had some kick *** defensive ends over the last decade. I like Beal but I somehow doubt he should be in there.

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I thought that, too.

And LL, you may be right. We have had some kick *** defensive ends over the last decade. I like Beal but I somehow doubt he should be in there.

One great one, Cody. And a bunch of good ones... Wilkerson, Jackson, Birdine, Thibodeaux, Ah You, English, Beal, etc.

LawtonBoy74
1/21/2010, 01:30 AM
Jonathan Jackson was a good DE too. He should get an honorable mention...and Malcolm Kelly at Receiver as well...maybe Nic Harris at safety...BUT DEFINITELY Antonio Perkins LAWTON HIGH BABY :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2010, 01:43 AM
the only interesting picks to me are broyles over iglesias, everage over pool (arguable), and broyles over perkins/thatcher.

iglesias might have choked any time there was a pressure situation, but he piled up a ton of yards in his career.

thatcher is a guy that gets screwed on these list since he only played one year in the decade.

SteelClip49
1/21/2010, 01:45 AM
Tim Duncan > Garrett Hartley

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2010, 01:46 AM
Tim Duncan > Garrett Hartley

04 explosion in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2010, 02:16 AM
I would have Wilkerson over Beal.

yermom
1/21/2010, 02:33 AM
the only interesting picks to me are broyles over iglesias, everage over pool (arguable), and broyles over perkins/thatcher.

iglesias might have choked any time there was a pressure situation, but he piled up a ton of yards in his career.

thatcher is a guy that gets screwed on these list since he only played one year in the decade.

hey, Iglesias caught the game winner against Baylor in OT :D

i was thinking Pool too. and Broyles seems like he's just fresh on the mind, but hasn't played enough to make the list IMO. he sure came on late though

Perkins still has the NCAA record for TDs doesn't he? not sure how you leave him off. before his MCL injury, at least. he didn't really seem to be the same after that

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 02:40 AM
If I had to do one, it would be pretty close to this.

OFFENSE

QB: Josh Huepel (he won a title for us)

RB: Adrian Peterson

RB: Quentin Griffin

WR: Mark Clayton

WR: Antwone Savage

TE: Jermaine Gresham

OL: Stephen Burcham

OL: Wes Sims

DEFENSE

DL: Dan Cody

DL: Tommie Harris

DL: Gerald McCoy

DL: Jeremy Beal

LB: Teddy Lehman

LB: Rocky Calmus

LB: Curtis Lofton

DB: Derrick Strait

DB: Roy Williams

DB: Andre Woolfolk

DB: Brandon Everage

K: Garrett Hartley

P: Jeff Ferguson

Ret: Antonio Perkins & J.T. Thatcher

yermom
1/21/2010, 02:42 AM
it's really hard to pick between White, Bradford, and Heupel

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2010, 02:49 AM
You may not know anything about evaluating offensive coordinators, but your list is spot on 75. :D

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 02:58 AM
You may not know anything about evaluating offensive coordinators, but your list is spot on 75. :D

And so you are the be all in someone's opinion?

**** off *********.:rolleyes:

Sooner4FCD
1/21/2010, 03:14 AM
Malcom Kelly? Brandon Jones?

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 03:17 AM
Malcolm? HEHE...the one that didnt like playing in big games?

King Barry's Back
1/21/2010, 04:14 AM
OK, be honest --- How many of you, in January 2001, would think that Josh Heuple wouldn't get a look as QB of the decade? Though to be fair, if his 99-2000 seasons had happened in 98-99 instead, he'd easily be the QB of the Decade for the 90s. He may be, already, with his record breaking season in 99.

Somebody picked JT Thatcher as a returner. Wasn't his last season 99?

Antonio Perkins getting no love is an outrage. That guy not only "set a record" for punt return TD's in a game -- he created the category. Nobody has ever taken back more than one, so there's no official record. Maybe that's why he's overlooked?

And doesn't Trent Smith deserve a look? Guess not.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 04:26 AM
He may be, already, with his record breaking season in 99.

Antonio Perkins getting no love is an outrage. That guy not only "set a record" for punt return TD's in a game -- he created the category. Nobody has ever taken back more than one, so there's no official record. Maybe that's why he's overlooked?

Thatcher was there in 2000...Even won the Mosi Tatupu Award as best special teams player of the year.

Perkins being forgotten is a worse offense than your rubber coming off and not stopping. :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 04:30 AM
From SoonerSports:

J.T. Thatcher, FS/PR/KR - 2000

A standout on both defense and special teams, J.T. Thatcher was named an All-American as both a defensive back and returner. The Mosi Tatupu Special Teams Player of the Year Award winner, Thatcher was one of only seven players to return two or more punts for a touchdown in 2000 and ranked ninth nationally in punt return average.

A four-time Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week selection, Thatcher set OU's single-game (160) and single-season (599) records for punt return yards. He also posted the second-highest single-game kickoff return yard total with 150, including a 93-yard return to set up OU's go-ahead touchdown against second-ranked Kansas State.

Thatcher was a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award awarded to the nation's top defensive back and tied school records for interceptions in a game (3) and season (8).

Collier11
1/21/2010, 04:34 AM

except for Wes Sims, he consistently underachieved at OU...other than that though I agree

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 04:36 AM
OK, be honest --- How many of you, in January 2001, would think that Josh Heuple wouldn't get a look as QB of the decade? Though to be fair, if his 99-2000 seasons had happened in 98-99 instead, he'd easily be the QB of the Decade for the 90s. He may be, already, with his record breaking season in 99.

And doesn't Trent Smith deserve a look? Guess not.

JT was there in 2000.
Trent Smith deserves it, but Gresham broke his records.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 04:45 AM
Oh hell, put Trent AND Jermaine on there. When have we only played 1 TE all season! lol

CincySooner
1/21/2010, 08:48 AM
Weren't all of the DBs on that list in the same backfield in 2001... Unreal!!

I second your thoughts GottaHavePride. It definately makes me sad that the best fullback Stoops has ever had gets left of the list.

w0lfe
1/21/2010, 08:48 AM
Man its hard for me to leave Torrence Marshall off the list

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 09:38 AM

He only played one year period. And was benched for Everage for a stretch of that year. Great stats though.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 09:42 AM
If Jonathan Jackson would have been able to put on any weight, he would have been one of the best

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 09:46 AM
JT Thatcher may be one of the most underappreciated Sooners...AA at DB and KR....8 interceptions in 2000 and skillet handed about 4 more....

ouleaf
1/21/2010, 10:20 AM
Not sure I'm sold on Everage over the likes of Pool, Nicholson, or Harris. Definitely give my Timmy Duncan over Hartley. As far the WR #2 spot, that is a pretty tough call. But give me Savage just barely edging out Iggy and Fagan. I definitely think Beal is deserving of being on there as well.

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 10:30 AM
JT Thatcher may be one of the most underappreciated Sooners...AA at DB and KR....8 interceptions in 2000 and skillet handed about 4 more....
Underappreciated by Mike Stoops too. Because he was all over his *** for assignment busts and missed tackles. I think it was the KU game were he had 3 picks, and kept getting taken out.

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure I'm sold on Everage over the likes of Pool, Nicholson, or Harris. Definitely give my Timmy Duncan over Hartley. As far the WR #2 spot, that is a pretty tough call. But give me Savage just barely edging out Iggy and Fagan. I definitely think Beal is deserving of being on there as well.

Fagan was more in the lines of a Manny Johnson type of contributor, in my eyes.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 10:34 AM
I remember the OK State game Mike came out on the field and jerked his helmet off and handed it to him..Its amazing how many plays were made that season with players "out of position"

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 10:45 AM
Definitely give my Timmy Duncan over Hartley.

Hartley...
FGs: 47-for-58 (81%)
EPs: 169-for-176 (96%)

Duncan...
FGs: 44-for-65 (67%)
EPs: 153-for-158 (97%)

Hartley was an NFL-esque 32 for 35 on FGs, over his final two seasons here.

CrimsonCommando
1/21/2010, 10:45 AM
If Jonathan Jackson would have been able to put on any weight, he would have been one of the best

JJ just sacked Jason Gesser again in the parking lot. LOL.

cccasooner2
1/21/2010, 11:06 AM
If I had to do one, it would be pretty close to this.

OL: Stephen Burcham

OL: Wes Sims

I thought Bubba played C?

Clever Trevor
1/21/2010, 11:09 AM
I would have Wilkerson over Beal.

At first, I jumped to this conclusion, but after some thought, I'd take Beal over Jimmy. Jimmy had a good season followed by a very good season. Beal has been very solid to outstanding for about 2.5 seasons now.

No way would I put Wes Sims on my list. Might as well put Skinner on there too.

Agree that Perkins being left off is a traveshamockery. Not sure about Pool, either.

goingoneight
1/21/2010, 11:20 AM
I remember the OK State game Mike came out on the field and jerked his helmet off and handed it to him..Its amazing how many plays were made that season with players "out of position"

Shame they weren't made the next two years.

goingoneight
1/21/2010, 11:21 AM
KR duo DeMarco Murray and Ryan Broyles
PR Antonio Perkins

H Hays McLonghorn :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 11:31 AM
Shame they weren't made the next two years.

yeah..the main 2 culprits, Ontei and JT, graduated

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2010, 11:43 AM
He only played one year period. And was benched for Everage for a stretch of that year. Great stats though.

he played pre-2000 - he was the starting running back against nebraska in the 73-0 game.

well, to be fair, i was talking about JT as a returner not a DB. his selection to the AA team was odd, we even remarked at the time how he could be an AA when TGRW wasn't.

now as a returner, he had that ability to just break games open.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 11:56 AM
Probably one of his biggest returns wasn't for a score...I'm thinking about the big return against Kansas State down to the 2 or 3 I believe

ndpruitt03
1/21/2010, 12:19 PM
I don't know if I can put Heupel as the QB because his year year in the 2000s was arguably the worst statistically for a full time starting QB at OU. 20 TDs and 15 INTs. The defense won the championship for us that year. Josh also was really smart and a great QB but I can't put him ahead of White or Bradford on the all decade list.

Frank Romero should be one of the lineman.He was really solid his 2 years in the decade. Just wasn't big enough for the pros.

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know if I can put Heupel as the QB because his year year in the 2000s was arguably the worst statistically for a full time starting QB at OU. 20 TDs and 15 INTs. The defense won the championship for us that year. Josh also was really smart and a great QB but I can't put him ahead of White or Bradford on the all decade list.

Frank Romero should be one of the lineman.He was really solid his 2 years in the decade. Just wasn't big enough for the pros.
Bomar 05 and Hybl 01 were easily the worst.

But you are right, the QB is Bradford, no doubt.

ndpruitt03
1/21/2010, 12:35 PM
Bomar 05 and Hybl 01 were easily the worst.

But you are right, the QB is Bradford, no doubt.

Neither one were full time starters. White and Hybl split time till the Nebraska game. Bomar didn't start till about 3 games in. But I can see someone saying he was worse because he started most of the season.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 12:42 PM
You are fully retarded for your last 2 posts on this thread, paricularly #48. And not just a little bit. I'm talking Mexico border town, brain on the outside of the skull stupid as a shortwhorn turd infested with worms retarded.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Hybl was the man til Texas game when he was hurt

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 12:45 PM
Hartley...
FGs: 47-for-58 (81%)
EPs: 169-for-176 (96%)

Duncan...
FGs: 44-for-65 (67%)
EPs: 153-for-158 (97%)

Hartley was an NFL-esque 32 for 35 on FGs, over his final two seasons here.

Do you have the stats for assorted distances? Do you have stats for which ones were clutch kicks?

I only ask because I think you have a good point, butI also think there must be a reason so many, myself included, lean in the direction of Duncan despite the apparently overwhelming statistical win by Hartley.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2010, 12:51 PM
Probably one of his biggest returns wasn't for a score...I'm thinking about the big return against Kansas State down to the 2 or 3 I believe

i'm sorry but that was a frickin' touchdown. that and the "there is no holding because the defender fought through the hold" call almost had me buying a new TV.

actually the best return he had was the year before when he went in for daniels against pokey state. that was when i knew that guy was going to go for the jugular ever single time.

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 12:52 PM
I'll take Woolfolk.. Clutch

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 01:04 PM
Neither one were full time starters. White and Hybl split time till the Nebraska game. Bomar didn't start till about 3 games in. But I can see someone saying he was worse because he started most of the season.
Bomar became the "starter" at about halftime of the TCU game. And he started every week from game two on.

Hybl started all but 2 games in 2001, Baylor and Nebraska.

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 01:07 PM
Jason White 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=599hDYzvaKQ

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:12 PM
Bomar became the "starter" at about halftime of the TCU game. And he started every week from game two on.

And he was 50/50 TD to INT...Fantastic! :P

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:13 PM
Jason White 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=599hDYzvaKQ

Awesome...Spek when I get soe back. :)

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 01:14 PM
Do you have the stats for assorted distances? Do you have stats for which ones were clutch kicks?

I only ask because I think you have a good point, butI also think there must be a reason so many, myself included, lean in the direction of Duncan despite the apparently overwhelming statistical win by Hartley.

Duncan was on the national championship team.

Those guys are much revered in Sooner lore! Consequently, many are overrated on the all-time lists and such, at least in my opinion.

Though regarding clutch kicks... I remember Duncan kicking a career long FG (maybe 47 yards) against KSU to ice the Big 12 title win, in 2000.

I guess Hartley's most memorable kick would be the closing-second miss against Oregon that was blocked. His only miss of the 2006 season.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:18 PM
So good I watched it 3 times...making a grand total of bout 5000! lol

Fugin' beautiful as always.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:21 PM
Duncan was on the national championship team.

Those guys are much revered in Sooner lore! Consequently, many are overrated on the all-time lists and such, at least in my opinion.

Though regarding clutch kicks... I remember Duncan kicking a career long FG (maybe 47 yards) against KSU to ice the Big 12 title win, in 2000.

I guess Hartley's most memorable kick would be the closing-second miss against Oregon that was blocked. His only miss of the 2006 season.

And all that carries a lot of weight thogh...Championship is a good thing.

sooneron
1/21/2010, 04:08 PM
I'll take Woolfolk.. Clutch

"Me too" Rashaun Woods.:texan:

ndpruitt03
1/21/2010, 04:11 PM

Hybl started all but 2 games in 2001, Baylor and Nebraska.
White threw for 4 TDs against KU. Played most of the Texas game, I think they split one other game. Still Heupel's season is right there with those bottom 2 statistically. I can't put him above White and Bradford with a season like 20 TDs and 10 INTs.

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 04:17 PM
"Me too" Rashaun Woods.:texan:

heh.

He did make TFRW his bitch tho

sooneron
1/21/2010, 04:17 PM
White threw for 4 TDs against KU. Played most of the Texas game, I think they split one other game. Still Heupel's season is right there with those bottom 2 statistically. I can't put him above White and Bradford with a season like 20 TDs and 10 INTs.

They never really "split" time. Hybl was taken out of the KU game because the offense was not moving the ball.
Hybl may have played a series or two against Baylor, but the next game was NU and we know how that turned out.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 04:45 PM
heh.

TFRW was and is a bitch without any help.

sooner59
1/21/2010, 05:58 PM
Its hard to tell how good J. Jackson might have been if he could be put on 25 pounds or so. B. Jones was the best deep threat of the decade. I would take Torrence Marshall over Lofton, but I still like him up in the talks.

goingoneight
1/21/2010, 06:13 PM
I just can't go with a guy solely based on the hardware his team won. I don't care how close they are statistically. If a guy is better, he's better. Some will say Josh is better at 20/15 than Sam at 50-8. Do they say Q is better than AD? Do they think the 2000 WR guys are better than Mark Clayton or Ryan Broyles? Lofton versus Marshall? The highest level of football disagrees in many of these circumstances, though it should not be the complete and total reason a guy is picked or not. Heupel helped bring us #7, but as a coach, he's brought us two stiff-arm trophies to the Switzer Center and humbly admitted both of those guys are better than he was.

I agree with some of the 2000 picks. We've not had a smarter, nor better all-around punter than Jeff Ferguson and Rocky Calmus was as solid and dependable a player as any in OU's rich history. TRRW? Do we need to explain why?

sooneron
1/21/2010, 09:34 PM
heh.

I think he covered BJ or whatever his name was more.

sooneron
1/21/2010, 09:38 PM
Heupel helped bring us #7, but as a coach, he's brought us two stiff-arm trophies to the Switzer Center and humbly admitted both of those guys are better than he was.

Wow, his coaching legend still grows. He wasn't a coach when JW won his heisman.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:42 AM
Its hard to tell how good J. Jackson might have been if he could be put on 25 pounds or so. B. Jones was the best deep threat of the decade. I would take Torrence Marshall over Lofton, but I still like him up in the talks.

Marshall over Lofton?

wow..

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 01:45 AM
Electric
Carl Albert
Strong

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:46 AM
you down the street?

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 01:47 AM
Polk

lol no

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:47 AM
bull balls

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 01:48 AM
E-Z mart

sooner59
1/22/2010, 04:37 PM
Marshall over Lofton?

wow..

Not by much. Its basically a coin toss for me. But then I remember Marshall saying: "You took my boy's trophy." And I am pretty sure Weinke pooped his pants a little. I already started preparing for the victory party.