PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Smokers...well, not really

soonerloyal
1/20/2010, 04:45 PM
;) Non-smokers.

Just had to tell y'all that I've been kicked of the nasty cig habit for FIVE YEARS!

Quit Date: Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 7:45:00 AM
Time Smoke-Free: 1825 days
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 73034
Lifetime Saved: 18 months, 17 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: $12,782.00

I only wish I'd been bankin' what I haven't been spending on 'em... :eek:

Sorry for the interruption.

TIA. :)

Breadburner
1/20/2010, 04:56 PM
Congratulations.....I quit in 2000.....But on occasion....Maybe once a quarter I will have one for old times sake......

C&CDean
1/20/2010, 05:32 PM
A cig away from a pack a day...

I quit smoking cigarettes, pot, hash, free-base cocaine, pcp and all other illicit and legal substances in March of 1987. By December of that same year I was divorced, had custody of my kids, was promoted at work, and had gained 50 pounds. It ain't all good, but it's still pretty damn good.

I must admit that giving up cigs was harder than all the drugs combined. What was even harder was giving up the chewing products. I dipped Skoal, often had a chaw of Redman in my cheek, and even gnawed on Days Work plug tobacco. There were times when I was drinking where I had all 3 in my mouth at the same time, and would be smoking a Kool filter king too. I mean seriously, wtf was wrong with me?

If you're thinking about quitting, do it.

Mjcpr
1/20/2010, 05:41 PM
;) Non-smokers.

Just had to tell y'all that I've been kicked of the nasty cig habit for FIVE YEARS!

Quit Date: Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 7:45:00 AM
Time Smoke-Free: 1825 days
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 73034
Lifetime Saved: 18 months, 17 days, 21 hours
Money Saved: $12,782.00

I only wish I'd been bankin' what I haven't been spending on 'em... :eek:

Sorry for the interruption.

TIA. :)

I see you have Quit Keeper. :D

I quit four, I think, years ago.

How much weight did YOU gain? :D

MR2-Sooner86
1/20/2010, 05:46 PM
Trying to stop smoking is the easiest thing to do. I've done it thousands of times.

Crucifax Autumn
1/20/2010, 06:54 PM
That reminds me. I need to head out and buy a carton.

fadada1
1/20/2010, 07:45 PM
never been a smoker. but i watched my old man give it up. started smoking at 16, probably was close to 2 packs a day for 30+ years. been free of them for about 15. best thing he's ever done. can't hardly stand to be around them any more.

he's a dentist... about 25 years ago, you'd go into their lab and get slapped in the face with a wall of smoke. nothing like smoke embedded in your dentures. my, how times have changed.

soonerloyal
1/20/2010, 10:05 PM
I see you have Quit Keeper. :D

I quit four, I think, years ago.

How much weight did YOU gain? :D

Yeah, QuitNetdotcom. :D

About forty pounds, dammit. I used to weigh 98. I still weigh too much, but I'm trying to keep it less than 125.

Damn you for reminding me. :eek:

olevetonahill
1/20/2010, 10:21 PM
I was gonna try again this year . But I have to lose weight to Get my Sugar and BP down . So Ill wait till thats handled 1st
Lost 13 lbs in 2 weeks tho
Mainly from Not drinkin so much beer .:mad:

sooner ngintunr
1/21/2010, 01:23 AM
been 21 months, haven't touched one. Still enjoy a good cigar every once in while though.

soonerloyal
1/21/2010, 07:28 AM
That reminds me. I need to head out and buy a carton.

LOL Same thing I always said when someone would tell me they quit. After I congratulated 'em.

Remember that big ice storm in Norman in, what, ought-four? My car door handles were frozen shut and I only had a pack. I was afraid I'd run out before morning (wouldn't have, but...). So I called a cab (like half the rest of the population of Norman, apparently) to go less than a mile up Robinson to the Stop 'n Rob 'Em on Berry. It took them three and a half hours to get there, cost me ten bucks, but by Gawd I got my four packs - and a damn good reason to quit. :D

2005. I picked one helluva season to quit... :(

And dayum, Dean Sir. Always credited ya with huge ones. I'm proud of ya. My Mama used to smoke - I $#!+ you not - four to five packs of Kools a day at her worst. She'd have two going at once sometimes; one in her hand, another in the ashtray nearby read to go. That she made it as long as she did, and didn't die from that, amazed me. I think the only ones worse than the Kools are the Camel unfiltered; had a friend that smoked those too. Egad.

I don't regret at all not being chained to something so small yet so powerful. I do sometimes walk past a lit one and think, "Man that smells good." Then I walk by a smoker that doesn't have one lit and think, "Pew".

Those that smoke, ya won't get grief from me, ever. Those that don't, same thing.

hellogoodbye
1/21/2010, 09:20 AM
All you braggers need to share how you did it as well.

you know, for the rest of us chumps..

soonerloyal
1/21/2010, 10:36 AM
Nicotine patches.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 11:02 AM
I've always been amazed at the volume of people in Oklahoma that smoke. I came from south Texas, where it's not as bad. Arriving at OU with all the high school kids that were addicted already was a shocker...

Good on you guys for quitting. I can't imagine having to break a habit that hard.

BillyBall
1/21/2010, 11:11 AM
I have been totally done for 6 years.

I quit by weening myself off based on when I smoked. I usually smoked when I drank, when I was in the car, when I had a cup of coffee, in between classes, etc. I just slowly stopped smoking during those times, but stopping when I drank was really hard.

I just realized I didn't feel near as terrible the next morning when I didn't smoke.

OklaPony
1/21/2010, 08:01 PM
I managed to do it cold turkey about 17 years ago after some 15 years of use. I wasn't picky about my nicotine intake... I'd either smoke or use smokeless depending on the situation. The first couple of weeks really sucked but by week 3 I knew I was done with it.