PDA

View Full Version : Decades best college football players

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 03:23 PM
says espn... first they give you the top 10 in all of college football... next they give you the best in each conference.. if already post merge please. 2 different writers..

They were the college football players who won the hardware and the championships during the last decade.

Together, college football's players of the decade combined to win nine national championships and took home the Heisman Trophy three times.

The all-decade team includes four quarterbacks, two running backs, one receiver, two defensive linemen and an offensive tackle.

Voting was tight. Among those players just missing the list are: former Miami safeties Ed Reed and Sean Taylor, Georgia defensive end David Pollack, Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, West Virginia quarterback Pat White, Iowa offensive tackle Robert Gallery, Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk, Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson, Nebraska nose tackle Ndamukong Suh, and North Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers.

Here are ESPN.com's players of the decade:

1. Tim Tebow, Florida
In three seasons as a starting quarterback, Tebow became the face of the Gators and perhaps the face of the sport. With his arms and legs, Tebow helped lead Florida to BCS national championships in 2006 and '08. In 2007, he became the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy and the first player in major college football history to run and pass for 20 touchdowns in the same season. In his four-year career, Tebow passed for more than 9,000 yards with 88 touchdowns and ran for nearly 3,000 yards with 57 scores.

2. Vince Young, Texas
As a junior, VY produced one of the greatest seasons and one of the greatest single-game performances in the sport's history. In the 2006 Rose Bowl, Young ran for 200 yards with three touchdowns and passed for 267 yards in the Longhorns' stunning 41-38 victory over Southern California. His 8-yard touchdown run with 19 seconds left was one of the most memorable plays in history. Young had a 30-2 record as a starter and was twice named Rose Bowl MVP. As a junior, he had 3,036 passing yards and 1,050 rushing yards.

3. Matt Leinart, USC
After replacing Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer, Leinart led the Trojans to a share of the national title in 2003 (USC was No. 1 in the final Associated Press poll; LSU was No. 1 in the coaches' poll) and a BCS championship in '04. He won the hearts of USC fans when he returned to school for his senior season in 2005. The Trojans went undefeated during the 2005 regular season but lost to Young and Texas in the Rose Bowl, which ended USC's 34-game winning streak. Leinart won the Heisman Trophy as a junior in 2004 and was named MVP of the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl. He had a 37-2 record as a starter and passed for more than 10,000 yards with 99 touchdowns.

4. Reggie Bush, USC
There probably wasn't a more explosive player in college football during the last decade than Bush. He was always dangerous with his hands on the football, whether it was as a running back, receiver or kick returner. He was named a freshman All-American in 2003 after finishing with 1,331 all-purpose yards. Bush led the Pac-10 with 2,330 all-purpose yards as a sophomore, and he won the Heisman Trophy in 2005. As a junior, he averaged 222.3 all-purpose yards and 133.9 rushing yards a game. Bush played on teams that won at least a share of two national championships and three straight BCS bowl games.

5. Colt McCoy, Texas
Few quarterbacks have been as consistent or won as much as McCoy during a four-year career. He left Texas with a 45-7 record as a starter, breaking the NCAA record for victories by a quarterback. McCoy set Texas records with 13,244 passing yards and 112 touchdowns and completed 70.3 percent of his passes. McCoy guided Texas to three bowl victories and had the Horns in position to win a BCS national championship this past season. But McCoy suffered a pinched nerve in his throwing shoulder in the early moments of Texas' 37-21 loss to Alabama in the Citi BCS National Championship Game. McCoy finished in the top 3 in voting for the Heisman Trophy as a junior and senior. His senior year, he won the Maxwell Award as the country's top player and the Davey O'Brien Award, Manning Award and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as the best quarterback

6. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
Only injuries slowed down "A.D." during his three seasons with the Sooners. As a freshman in 2003, Peterson broke an NCAA freshman rushing record with 1,925 yards. He finished second to Leinart in Heisman Trophy voting, the highest-ever finish by a freshman. The next season, Peterson rushed for 1,208 yards with 14 touchdowns, despite being hobbled by a high ankle sprain. Peterson's junior season was undone by a broken collarbone, but he still finished with 1,112 yards. Peterson rushed for 4,045 yards in parts of three seasons, finishing 73 yards behind Heisman Trophy winner Billy Sims as Oklahoma's all-time leading rusher.

7. Bryant McKinnie, Miami
McKinnie played only two seasons at Miami (Fla.) after transferring from a junior college. But McKinnie made a lasting impression at one of the sport's most underrated positions. The 6-foot-9, 330-pound left tackle never allowed a sack during his two-year college career. As a senior, he helped the Hurricanes win the 2001 national championship, beating Nebraska 37-14 in the 2002 Rose Bowl. McKinnie won the 2001 Outland Trophy as the country's best interior lineman and finished eighth in Heisman Trophy voting. (He even received 26 first-place votes.)

8. Glenn Dorsey, LSU
There was not a more dominant interior lineman during the past decade. As a senior in 2007, Dorsey helped lead the Tigers to a BCS national championship. He had five tackles, one sack and a forced fumble in LSU's 38-24 victory over Ohio State in the BCS National Championship Game. Dorsey is one of the most decorated players in college football history, winning the Nagurski Trophy, the Lombardi Award, the Outland Trophy, the Lott Award and the Bednarik Award during his senior season. He was a two-time All-American and SEC Defensive Player of the Year. Despite being double- and triple-teamed throughout his college career, Dorsey finished with 179 tackles, 27 tackles for loss and 13 sacks.

9. Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh
Fitzgerald's college career seemed almost like a blur, just like what defensive backs must have felt while trying to cover the prolific receiver. In only two seasons at Pittsburgh, Fitzgerald set numerous NCAA and Big East records. He set NCAA marks with touchdown catches in 18 consecutive games, 34 touchdown receptions over his freshman and sophomore years, and 1,672 receiving yards as a sophomore. After becoming the first sophomore to win the Walter Camp Award in 2003, Fitzgerald entered the NFL draft after only two college seasons. (He was eligible to turn pro because he'd attended an extra year of prep school.) Fitzgerald also won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as a sophomore and finished second in Heisman Trophy voting.

10. Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
No pass-rusher was more feared during the decade than Suggs, who set an NCAA single-season record with 24 sacks as a junior in 2002. In three seasons with the Sun Devils, Suggs had 163 tackles, 65½ tackles for loss, 44 sacks, 14 forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and two interceptions. Opponents tried to chip Suggs with tight ends and fullbacks but had very little success. Suggs won the Ted Hendricks Award, the Lombardi Award and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy during his junior season before entering the NFL draft the next spring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4836527

Big 12 Players of the decade

The Big 12 has had more top three finishers in the Heisman Trophy voting in the last decade than any conference.

And although the Big 12 had three Heisman winners during that time, the three most memorable players of the decade didn’t claim college football’s top individual award.

Here's a look at the top 10 players of the last decade in the Big 12. Somehow Colt McCoy ranks 5th all time, but 10th in the big 12? lol, different writer i guess...

1. Vince Young, Texas: Transcendent talent who capped his career by scoring the game-winning touchdown to lead his team to the national championship. Finished his career with a 30-2 record, 6,040 passing yards and 3,127 rushing yards.

2. Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma: Likely would have had a chance for a Heisman if he had stayed for a senior season or not had his junior season marred by injuries. Still finished with 4,045 yards to finish within 73 yards within Billy Sims’ school career record.

3. Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: Destined to go down in history as the greatest Blackshirt of all time. Capped his career by winning the Lombardi, Bednarik and Nagurski Awards, finished fourth in the Heisman and became the first defensive player to win the Associated Press’ player of the year.

4. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma: First quarterback to direct his team to back-to-back Big 12 titles, capped by winning the Heisman Trophy as a redshirt sophomore in 2008. Injured early in his junior season, he still finished his college career with 88 touchdown passes against 16 interceptions.

5. Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech: Claimed back-to-back Biletnikoff awards as the most dominant and productive receiver of his era. Won the award in his second season despite being hobbled by a sprained ankle that limited his productivity.

6. Roy Williams, Oklahoma: Dominant and productive safety who was so good that Bob Stoops created a position, “the Roy,” to showcase his talents. Claimed the Nagurski and Thorpe Awards and was a unanimous All-American in his final college season.

7. Derrick Johnson, Texas: Two-time All-American earned the Butkus and Nagurski Awards in his senior season, capping a career as one of the most illustrious defensive players in Texas history.

8. Eric Crouch, Nebraska: Multi-talented runner/passer cemented his Heisman Trophy in 2001 with his pass-catching abilities against Oklahoma. That big effort helped catapult the Cornhuskers into the national championship game as a senior. Finished his career as the leading rusher quarterback and leader in total offense in Nebraska history.

9. Jason White, Oklahoma: Surrounded by a bevy of top talent, led the Sooners to the national championship game in back to back seasons and claimed the Heisman Trophy Award as a junior in 2003. Claimed back-to-back Davey O’Brien Awards, finishing his career with 8,012 passing yards and 81 touchdowns.

10. Colt McCoy, Texas: The winningest quarterback in college football history, finishing his career with an NCAA record 45 wins. He finished with virtually every passing record in school history winning the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year, Maxwell Award, Davey O’Brien Award, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm and Manning Award in a hard-luck senior season capped by an injury that didn’t allow him to complete the national championship game.

I still don't get how Colt can be number 5 of the decade, but 10 in the big 12... haha

you can see the rest of the conference breakdown here

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/players-of-decade-100119

rawlingsHOH
1/20/2010, 03:36 PM
I still don't get how Colt can be number 5 of the decade, but 10 in the big 12
5th overall is a damn joke!

Leroy Lizard
1/20/2010, 04:27 PM
No Chase Daniel. Quick! Someone call Eieson, or e-i-e-o, or whatever the Hell he calls himself.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 04:29 PM
:D:D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 04:36 PM
You would have figured the all decade team would have only featured players from the 2001 miami hurricane roster

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 04:38 PM
Ed Reed probably the best combined College/NFL DB this decade :D ?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 04:42 PM
Safety? prolly

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 04:43 PM
so are you saying their is a better combined corner? that would take best DB? or different positions..

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 05:12 PM
Darrell Revis is probably the best combo in the decade at corner..its hard to say who is the best out of the 2 since they are different types of players...

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 05:13 PM
Wolfe

Eielson
1/20/2010, 05:16 PM
If Reggie Bush is the #4 player of the decade, then why with the National Championship on the line, was it he not in the game?

And yeah, you all know how I feel about Tebow.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 05:16 PM
dearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gawd

Eielson
1/20/2010, 05:18 PM
How is Colt McCoy the 5th best player in college football, but only the 10th best in the Big XII?

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 05:20 PM
If Reggie Bush is the #4 player of the decade, then why with the National Championship on the line, was it he not in the game?

And yeah, you all know how I feel about Tebow.

because Lane Kiffin is an idiot

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 05:21 PM
How is Colt McCoy the 5th best player in college football, but only the 10th best in the Big XII?

i said the same thing

2 different writers.

goingoneight
1/20/2010, 05:23 PM
Bullshat on Glenn Dorsey. Ndamakung Suh and Tommie Harris were better.

meoveryouxinfinity
1/20/2010, 05:31 PM
Vince Young has 1 NC, 1 Big XII championship
Colt McCoy has 1 Big XII championship

in comparison, Tebow had 2 NC and 2 SEC championships, heisman
Leinart had 3 Pac 10 championships, 2ish NCs, heisman

Leroy Lizard
1/20/2010, 05:38 PM
I thought this was a team sport.

fadada1
1/20/2010, 05:55 PM
i'm shocked tebow didn't get the top vote in each conference.

Eielson
1/20/2010, 07:39 PM
because Lane Kiffin is an idiot

Nope.

IronHorseSooner
1/20/2010, 10:35 PM
Pony Boy, who is now demonized by a number of UTerus fans, is NOT the 5th best player this decade. Heck, he wasn't the best player on his own team. In that case, Donuts Shipley should be #1. The only thing that I can figure is they figured in his winning percentage, but he has only one conference championship compared to Sam's two. He has only one MNC appearance, and no Heisman, whereas JW appeared in two, and actually won a Heisman (much to the consternation of Mark May).

sooner59
1/21/2010, 12:50 AM
Vince Young has 1 NC, 1 Big XII championship
Colt McCoy has 1 Big XII championship

in comparison, Tebow had 2 NC and 2 SEC championships, heisman
Leinart had 3 Pac 10 championships, 2ish NCs, heisman

And yet, if I had a college team, I would take Vince, then Colt, then......oh who gives a s*** between the other two.

LawtonBoy74
1/21/2010, 01:15 AM
Tebow was great in college!! so was Vince and Matt!! Honestly it could be a toss up between the three..for the decade I'd probably take Vince, or Matt didn't they both win at least ten games every year they played?? And didnt Tebow go like 8-4 that year he stole the heisman from McFadden?? I cant remember someone refresh my memory if I'm wrong

JLEW1818
1/21/2010, 01:16 AM
Vince Young got shutout in a College football game

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2010, 01:19 AM
And didnt Tebow go like 8-4 that year he stole the heisman from McFadden??

You can't win. If he goes 12-0, he was only great because of the players around him. If he goes 8-4, well it was because he wasn't so great.

If a player wins the Heisman as a SOPHOMORE (never been done before) playing on an 8-4 team, he must be doing something right.

Leroy Lizard
1/21/2010, 01:19 AM
Vince Young got shutout in a College football game

So he's like that QB from OSU. Zac something.

sooner59
1/21/2010, 01:23 AM
Thank God for Landry that we got that FG in Lincoln....

soonerfan28
1/21/2010, 10:12 AM
1.Young
2.Peterson
3.Bush

Colt McCoy? Seriously? Ya if you're only looking at stats. Talent standpoint those two stood out. Bush would be right up there w/Peterson but I'm a little biased so Bush can stay at 3rd.

rawlingsHOH
1/21/2010, 10:27 AM
Thank God for Landry that we got that FG in Lincoln....
How many did we miss that game, 3 or 4?

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 01:38 PM
You can't win. If he goes 12-0, he was only great because of the players around him. If he goes 8-4, well it was because he wasn't so great.

If a player wins the Heisman as a SOPHOMORE (never been done before) playing on an 8-4 team, he must be doing something right.

He must have serviced the voters foreskins witout any tooth scratches.

MamaMia
1/21/2010, 02:05 PM
Vince Young sucked until late in his college career. Even the horns wanted to bench him.

KantoSooner
1/21/2010, 02:44 PM
Only two SEC players in the top ten?!

I would have thought that there'd be more, what with them being some tricky fast, monster strong and having more football smarts than the rest of the world.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2010, 02:58 PM
some other guys i'd consider for top 10 in the big 12

roy williams, benson, jammer, huff - texas

terrence newman, darren sproles, the roberson - kstate

derrick strait, calmus, lehman, tommie harris, mark clayton - oklahoma

for nebraska, the name escapes me but the outside backer that they spun down to DE and had like 10 sacks, the lineman with the temper problem

for mizzou - brad smith, jeremy maclin

colorado - ton of OL (gurode, etc), chris brown

pokey state - rashawn woods, the middle woods, dez bryant

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 03:15 PM
El Roberson. Spanish for.... The Roberson...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 03:25 PM
for nebraska, the name escapes me but the outside backer that they spun down to DE and had like 10 sacks, the lineman with the temper problem

Not sure who your talking about but I guarantee he is an angel compare to Richie Incognito

sooner59
1/21/2010, 04:02 PM
How many did we miss that game, 3 or 4?

I don't know. It was hard to see while sitting directly behind the tubas from the Pride. Then I just closed my eyes and tried to go to a better place where Landry didn't throw picks, Suh was in the NFL, I didn't smell Runza, and I couldn't hear chants of Go Big Red. :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2010, 05:15 PM
Not sure who your talking about but I guarantee he is an angel compare to Richie Incognito

demorrio williams

http://www.huskerpedia.com/games/2003/depth_12_10_2003.html

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2010, 05:21 PM
demorrio williams

http://www.huskerpedia.com/games/2003/depth_12_10_2003.html

that dude was a corner in jc....wow

and still richie incognito...crazy bastard probably one of the best to play in the big 12

Eielson
1/21/2010, 05:46 PM
and still richie incognito...crazy bastard probably one of the best to play in the big 12

Somebody posted on the Rams' (his pro team until just recently) board that he was voted the 4th dirtiest player in the league by the other players. We were all disappointed in him. He had what it took to be higher.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:49 AM
dude could not only play every position on the line, but play it at a all american level...most talented versatile O lineman I've seen..

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 01:50 AM
Cory Brandon?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 01:58 AM
Incognito would bite his ear off

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:00 AM
child please..

i gotta put in a bet right now... who u like tomorrow in the NBA world. .... ur fakers are sitting at -5 right now, in NY

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2010, 02:01 AM
Kobe is your daddy

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 02:02 AM
that bitch Gasol totally ****ed me tonight.. i had LA +3 ... what a waste of life

sooner59
1/22/2010, 04:39 PM
that bitch Gasol totally ****ed me tonight.. i had LA +3 ... what a waste of life

My g/f asked me who I thought would win.

I said Cleveland by 6. Final score: 93-87.

Not bad.