PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Active coaches...

Collier11
1/20/2010, 03:02 AM
as it stands today, give me your best

1) Roy Williams (barf)
2) Bill Self
3) Tom Izzo
4) John Calipari
5) Jamie Dixon
6)Coach K
7) Jim Boeheim
8) Rick Barnes
9) Jay Wright
10) Mark Few

OUbasketball4life
1/20/2010, 03:21 AM
1.) Coach Cal
2.) RW
3.) Self
4.) Izzo
5.) Coach K
6.) Calhoun
7.) Barnes
8.) J. Wright
9.) Pitino
10.) Bruce Pearl (He's doing a hell of a job right now)

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2010, 03:29 AM
How can you put Calipari in the mix when he is a cheat and allows it on his teams?

He did it at UMASS and at Memphis. Both teams got into trouble right after he departed because of him. Kentucky will soon follow suit.

Collier11
1/20/2010, 03:30 AM
Im talking about who are the best coaches, not who is the best guy

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2010, 03:49 AM
Im talking about who are the best coaches, not who is the best guy

Not hard to be a good coach when you are breaking rules to get the best players to play for you.

Collier11
1/20/2010, 04:41 AM
If he was doing anything serious he wouldnt be coaching...I guess you could change the word serious to the statement "different than most other coaches"

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2010, 05:18 AM
If he was doing anything serious he wouldnt be coaching...I guess you could change the word serious to the statement "different than most other coaches"

Two teams have been placed on probation within one year of Calipari leaving.

hmmmm....

Collier11
1/20/2010, 12:59 PM
and yet the NCAA hasnt done anything to him...im not saying he hasnt done some things wrong but it is obvious that the ncaa didnt feel that Calipari had anything to do with the Derick Rose SAT deal

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 01:57 PM
I have to side with 75 on this one...Dude has left a trail but the NCAA ,the same NCAA that knows about the Reggie Bush stuff, has let it slide so far....

Collier11
1/20/2010, 02:03 PM
Both of you are missing the point, this isnt about who is the best guy or the best coach to start a program, it is merely about who are the best coaches in D1 right now

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2010, 03:18 PM
Both of you are missing the point, this isnt about who is the best guy or the best coach to start a program, it is merely about who are the best coaches in D1 right now

I am not missing the point. I just would not have Calipari in my top 10.

Collier11
1/20/2010, 03:21 PM
415-137 record and this,

The NCAA investigated allegations that a player on the 2007-08 team committed "knowing fraudulence or misconduct in connection with his entrance examination" and had an unknown individual complete his SAT examination.[19] The NCAA informed Calipari in a letter that he was not considered "at risk" in this investigation.

He led UMass to its first-ever appearance in the Final Four with the play of the John R. Wooden Award winner and Naismith College Player of the Year Marcus Camby, although this appearance was later vacated by the NCAA because Camby had accepted about $28,000 from two sports agents. [2]

Not saying that Calipari isnt dirty but neither of these allegations were against him, they were against the player...I think the both of you have your facts incorrect. If this ncaa felt he knew about the players cheating they would have hammered him as well, ala Calvin

OU_Sooners75
1/20/2010, 03:48 PM
415-137 record and this,

The NCAA investigated allegations that a player on the 2007-08 team committed "knowing fraudulence or misconduct in connection with his entrance examination" and had an unknown individual complete his SAT examination.[19] The NCAA informed Calipari in a letter that he was not considered "at risk" in this investigation.

He led UMass to its first-ever appearance in the Final Four with the play of the John R. Wooden Award winner and Naismith College Player of the Year Marcus Camby, although this appearance was later vacated by the NCAA because Camby had accepted about $28,000 from two sports agents. [2]

Not saying that Calipari isnt dirty but neither of these allegations were against him, they were against the player...I think the both of you have your facts incorrect. If this ncaa felt he knew about the players cheating they would have hammered him as well, ala Calvin

And since he had players on his teams that were not eligible players, his record should be amended to project that.

You cannot tell me that he did not know absolutely anything about either situation.

That is like saying Pete Carroll knew absolutely nothing about Reggie Bush, or Tim Floyd knew absolutely nothing about the OJ Mayo fiascos at USC.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 04:32 PM
John Calipari is a top 5 coach

Barry Bonds is the best baseball player to ever play

bam

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 04:33 PM
So its just coincidence that both of those schools ended up with the same problems?

Again, I'll have to pass on having him as one of my top coaches..great coaches build something that outlast them...

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 04:37 PM
Kentucky was kinda crappy before him tho right? at least for the last couple years?

Collier11
1/20/2010, 04:38 PM
they werent the same deal Step, one player took money from an agent, one player allegedly (Rose still denies this) had someone take an SAT for him

If you blame both of those on Calipari then you are saying that Stoops knew about Bomar and the Big red deal and I dont buy that

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 04:40 PM
i think Stoops did know something about Bomar...

gun to the head.. what would you really say?

(this is besides the point, Cal is still in my top 10)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 04:48 PM
And its coincidence that he jumped ship on both schools about the time the allegations were coming to the front

Collier11
1/20/2010, 04:58 PM
I would go to Kentucky over Memphis anyday, the guy can flat out coach...that is the point of the thread, thats why you are missing the point. Its not like he jumped back to the NBA, if he had any fault the NCAA wouldnt have publicly exhuanerated(sp?) him like they did

Eielson
1/20/2010, 05:02 PM
I think rating people in order in a list like this is somewhat silly, so I'm just going to give my top five in no particular order.

Mike Krzyzewski
Rick Pitino
Tom Izzo
Jim Calhoun
Roy Williams

One guy that deserves more credit than he has gotten in this thread, and would definitely be in my top ten is Ben Howland.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 05:15 PM
I'm not missing the point...but if a coach is having ineligible players play for him, then how is it fair to judget him against a coach who is playing guys who are supposed to be on the court?

Eielson
1/20/2010, 05:19 PM
Kentucky doesn't look well coached to me. They looked insanely talented, though.

Collier11
1/20/2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not missing the point...but if a coach is having ineligible players play for him, then how is it fair to judget him against a coach who is playing guys who are supposed to be on the court?

He has been a good coach over his entire career, whether you believe he knew about the Umass and Memphis ncaa issues or not, you cant take away the fact that he has always been a big winner

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 05:40 PM
How many games do you think Marcus Camby and Derick Rose helped win?

stoopified
1/24/2010, 08:48 PM
I think rating people in order in a list like this is somewhat silly, so I'm just going to give my top five in no particular order.

Mike Krzyzewski
Rick Pitino
Tom Izzo
Jim Calhoun
Roy Williams

One guy that deserves more credit than he has gotten in this thread, and would definitely be in my top ten is Ben Howland.Iwould say tha is a preety good Top 5.pUTTING THEM IN ORDER:

Coach K
Wiiliams
Izzo
Pitino
Calhoun

Eielson
1/24/2010, 08:55 PM
I would put Coach K at #1. You could put the other four in just about any order and I couldn't really disagree.

Collier11
1/24/2010, 09:20 PM
I am one of the biggest Coach K fans around but part of being a great college coach is recruiting and his recruiting has left his team without a legit big man threat for yrs before this past yr