Collier11
1/20/2010, 12:51 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Geneo-Grissom-96696

boomersooner28
1/20/2010, 03:59 AM
sweet! :D

Widescreen
1/20/2010, 10:57 AM
I wonder why he had so few scholarship offers given that he seems to be pretty highly regarded.

MojoRisen
1/20/2010, 11:00 AM
He may of comitted to Kansas early, LSU was after him.

BoomerJ
1/20/2010, 11:16 AM
Just curios to know if this impacts Jeffcoat's decision. Any new news on him or the daddy? Do we get Cullen next?

MojoRisen
1/20/2010, 11:33 AM
He visits officially this weekend, I had not heard anything new on the DE Coaching position but I am sure Jim is a candidate and has already interviewed.

BigTime1
1/20/2010, 12:20 PM
Your sure hes already interviewed like you KNOW that or you would assume that he has?

MojoRisen
1/20/2010, 01:02 PM
He was in consideration when the job opened last time, and went down to the wire. Apparently he is happy with Bob Stoops and his decision to promote from within - but he definitely was up for the job before Wilson had it and went through the whole process with Stoops and apparently is on good terms.. He has not reinterviewed for it, but the article kind of indicated that he may not even have to - since he did the vigorous process before hand.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/20/2010, 01:12 PM
Pure speculation on my part, but I thought we were going to close with a DE and OL as our last two... which would leave me to believe that we've been given indication that Jeffcoat is going elsewhere, so we offered Grissom. (I thought our numbers were @30... are they 31?)

But hey, maybe we close w/ two DE. If it is 31 maybe we get both and an OL, which would be nice.

And heck, even if we stop at 29 and don't sign another player the class already has really nice balance.

I think we will still be in for a bit of a re-building year next year (I'm thinking 9-3 and a Cotton Bowl... and how spoiled are we that that would be considered "re-building".) But if we can limit early departures next year, 2011 has championships written all over it.

Collier11
1/20/2010, 01:13 PM
9-3 to 11-1 is our 2010 range I would say, depending on injuries

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 01:26 PM
sounds good to me

Salt City Sooner
1/20/2010, 01:59 PM
Local story on GG's verbal:

Hutchinson High senior defensive end Geneo Grissom committed to Oklahoma late Tuesday evening, Hutchinson coach Randy Dreiling confirmed Wednesday morning.

Grissom, a four-star recruit by recruiting service Rivals.com, made the decision over the University of Kansas. KU football coach Turner Gill cancelled a trip to Hutchinson on Wednesday to meet with Grissom. Grissom had taken an official visit to KU this past weekend where he was able to meet the new Jayhawk coaches.

"It's a done deal," said Jon Kirby of Rivals.com. "Everything happened late Tuesday from what I can gather. The KU coaches were told and Gill was informed not to bother coming down."

As a senior, the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Grissom recorded 72 tackles, including 21 for loss and 6 1/2 sacks while also deflecting eight passes to earn AVCTL I co-defensive MVP honors and help the Salthawks to a state-record sixth straight state championship.

Grissom is ranked the 14th-best defensive end prospect in the country by Rivals.com, 27th by Scout.com and 72nd by ESPN.com.

Grissom is listed as the No. 3 recruit in the state of Kansas behind OU commitments Justin McCay of Bishop Miege and Biship Carroll quarterback Blake Bell.

The committment to the Sooners ends what's been a hectic last three months for Grissom. After verbally committing to KU last June, Grissom re-evaluated his options in wake of former KU coach Mark Mangino’s resignation in December.

Upon reopening his recruitment in November, Grissom garnered interest from Louisana State, OU and KU. Grissom crossed LSU off his list last week.

Dreiling had coaches from the three schools in his office the past few months talking with Grissom.

“I spent my entire afternoons almost every day dealing with Division I coaches along with other coaches coming in to recruit other kids," Dreiling said. "It was very, very hectic when all three of them were active in the process. I can’t imagine how a kid could do it if there were more coaches recruiting him. It consumed most of my afternoons on many, many days. It’s a good problem to have for Geneo.

"I hope people understand that he made the decision based on what was best for him. Obviously, everybody would like to see kids stay in Kansas, but that isn’t the reality of how things work. Kids get to chose where they want to go to college."

In an interview with The News Tuesday afternoon, Grissom's mind wasn't made up.

“This weekend just put another knot in this big, long rope,” Grissom said of his visit to Lawrence. “I don’t know. It’s at a point to where it’s really not even fun anymore. It’s just stressful. I want to make the right decision. I want to make sure that I weigh everything out. That way, I can’t look back and say, ‘Hey, I should have done this.’”

http://www.hutchnews.com/Nextdaysportslead/grissomwed

okiedokie
1/20/2010, 02:44 PM
Good news...:)

Herr Scholz
1/20/2010, 07:58 PM
Just curios to know if this impacts Jeffcoat's decision.
No soup for you. Brown and Muschamp are in his house tonight. I expect them to close the deal.

IronHorseSooner
1/20/2010, 08:48 PM
No soup for you. Brown and Muschamp are in his house tonight. I expect them to close the deal.

Not cool! Since JJ is set to visit in two days, this wreaks of silver-tongue devil. But, hey, what can we expect from those two clowns? :texan:

gaylordfan1
1/20/2010, 08:51 PM
Jim Jeffcoat has already stated he is staying @ Houston. I read the two coaches being considered for the job was Ruff from Texas Tech and Jim Levitt from USF.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/20/2010, 10:29 PM

Jesus-H-Barry-Switzer.

Who dug you up out of the diarrhea-colored bowels of this earth?

Yuck it up, schit-ball. Hope against all hope.

You know, we're sure you enjoyed your 4 out of 5. But what makes you think we aren't windin' up a big helping of "FU" to serve up these next couple of years? We got the best o' your Tex-best in the last couple as far as recruiting. (Calhoun/Miller ring a bell... you STILL have no running game.)

Believe it, Sally. We took your NC-participating asses down to the wire with a depleted offense, and forked over 5 turnovers in the process. Rookie turnovers. And no, they weren't forced by your all-diarrhea defense.

Muschamp's act will be wearing thin in short order. I can hear it now... "When is that guy gonna quit clownin' around with all them chest bumps and all that stuff and git us a danged cham-peen-chip!"

Heh! Pucker up! You're gonna suck it.

BTW, you are also over-due for a nut-kicking.

See you in October.

Salt City Sooner
1/21/2010, 01:55 PM
A couple of local articles:

Some of the stress and chaos is now removed from Geneo Grissom's life.

After reopening his recruitment in November, Grissom made his decision Tuesday night.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Hutchinson High senior defensive end will continue his football career at Oklahoma, picking the Sooners over the University of Kansas.

"Me and my family talked about it. We always sit down and talk about it at dinner," Grissom said Wednesday. "It just kind of hit me that I wanted to go to OU."

The commitment to OU comes after a hectic past three months in which Grissom, a four-star prospect by recruiting service Rivals.com, took officials visits to OU and KU while canceling a visit to Louisiana State. Grissom also had numerous coaches from all three schools, including LSU's Les Miles and OU's Bob Stoops, come to Hutchinson in the past months. Prior to Grissom's decision, KU coach Turner Gill had scheduled to come to Hutchinson on Wednesday.

Grissom's selection comes two weeks before the Feb. 3 national signing day.

So how does it feel?

"Oh, my gosh, it's a huge weight off my shoulders," Grissom said. "It feels great."

Grissom is listed as the No. 3 recruit in the state of Kansas behind fellow OU commitments Justin McCay of Bishop Miege and Bishop Carroll quarterback Blake Bell. Grissom is listed as the 14th-best defensive end prospect in the country by Rivals.com, 27th by Scout.com and 72nd by ESPN.com.

"When he committed to KU, I was kind of bummed out a bit," Bell said. "I knew OU was after him hard. ... I have met him a few times since they started recruiting him again. We have been texting a lot. I am sure we will get to know each other very well now that we're both going to Oklahoma."

A two-year starter from Hutchinson coach Randy Dreiling, Grissom splashed onto the recruiting scene after his junior season that saw him record 47 tackles, including nine for loss while also registering 2 1/2 sacks.

That prompted KU to offer Grissom a scholarship last winter. Upon completing his junior year, Grissom committed to KU in June even though Dreiling said OU had shown interest.

In the summer months before his senior season, Dreiling said Grissom improved physically, dropping his 40-yard dash and pro agility time.

On the field, Grissom's stats increased to 72 tackles with 21 for loss and 6 1/2 sacks while also deflecting eight passes. That helped Grissom earn AVCTL I co-defensive MVP honors as Hutch won a state-record sixth straight title.

Meanwhile, with former KU coach Mark Mangino facing allegations of player abuse, Dreiling said he knew Mangino's time in Lawrence was limited.

That prompted the reopening of Grissom's recruitment.

"When Mangino got the job, we had a kid who had gotten an offer in DeAngelo Green," Dreiling said. "Mangino got the job and cut his scholarship. I didn't know who the new coach was going to be this time around. In order to protect him (Geneo), we opened it up again."

LSU was one of the first schools to make a strong push for Grissom. Once OU caught wind that Grissom was back on the market, the Sooners came calling. Dreiling said Arkansas and Texas Christian, among others, were also interested.

Although OU showed interest last spring Grissom didn't believe he could be a Sooner.

"I had an OK junior year, but I didn't think I was going to be an OU player," Grissom admitted. "My senior year came around and I had a pretty good season. My stock went up and I started feeling better about myself. Now I believe that I can play there. This opportunity is pretty amazing."

Building quick relationships with the OU coaching staff, including defensive coordinator and Salina native Brent Venables, was key to the decision, Grissom said.

"I really enjoyed what I saw when I went down there," Grissom said. "I got a pretty close bond with the coaches, even in the short time that we had. I felt like they really made an effort to come down and see me. They got their point across that they really wanted me."

What ultimately doomed KU's chances of landing Grissom was the changing of coaching staffs. Grissom said he had a connection with several former Jayhawk assistants.

"I had a pretty good bond with Coach (Bill) Miller and Coach (Tom) Simms and the rest of the staff," Grissom said. "Once those guys left, it was almost like a brand new school coming in. Basically, it was like starting all over. I just couldn't seem to get the same bond with the new staff that I did with the old staff."

Knowing some KU fans may be upset by his decision, Grissom said, "It's just one of those things where I've got to do what's right for me in my heart."

http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/ougrissom

Salt City Sooner
1/21/2010, 01:57 PM
A couple of comments from Blake Bell here:

Geneo Grissom's cellular phone was active on Wednesday, which is hardly a revelation.

After all, when you get past the 6-foot-4, 230-pound frame, massive hands and size 17 shoes, the Hutchinson High senior is still a typical teenager.

Translation: His cell phone is his life - or, more appropriately, his lifeline.

But one text message stood out above the dozens of others. It featured four simple words that made Grissom smile.

"Is this the Sooner?"

The author was Blake Bell, who rejoiced in Grissom's Tuesday-night decision to attend the University of Oklahoma because it means he'll never again find himself in the defensive end's crosshairs.

Bell, one of the nation's top high school quarterbacks, committed to Oklahoma last summer before his senior year at Bishop Carroll began. Coincidentally, that senior season ended with Grissom in hot pursuit of him in the Kansas Class 5A semifinal game.

"He hit me a couple of times," Bell said Wednesday. "He left a mark. I can say that. I'm glad he's going to be my teammate now."

Bell, Grissom and Bishop Miege receiver Justin McCay are considered the three best high school football players in the state of Kansas. On Wednesday, Oklahoma defensive coordinator Brent Venables flew into town to meet with Grissom and complete the Sooners' trifecta.

Last year, Jayden Byrd from Conway Springs and Marshall Musil from La Crosse signed letters to play at Oklahoma - an indicator of its recruiting success in the Sunflower State.

It's not just Bob Stoops. National signing day is 13 days from now. Kansas is projected to have at least 11 Division I signings, according to Rivals.com. Of those 11 signings, seven will sign letters to play at schools outside of Kansas.

"There is no answer to it," says Jon Kirby, a recruiting analyst with Rivals. "It's one of the more talked-about subjects. We can't figure it out."

Kirby, who logged 5,100 minutes - and unlimited texting - last month on his cellular phone tracking the movement of high school football talent in the Midwest, said Kansas still lacks the ability to close its borders and keep its recruits in state.

"The kids in Iowa seem loyal to their state," Kirby said. "Kids in Nebraska are loyal to their state. The kids in Oklahoma seem loyal to their state. We've always wondered why it isn't that way with the Kansas kids."

He has a theory that the recruits of today are guided by parents who grew up watching Kansas and Kansas State struggle through some lean years. As a result, the local schools are quickly scratched off the wish lists of many recruits.

Most would agree that in a perfect world, Kansas kids would choose to stay in Kansas to play their college football. Kansas' two Division I programs will always fight an uphill battle against Oklahoma and Nebraska, which offer tradition as well as multiple national championships.

The first step toward winning the in-state recruiting wars comes in righting their own programs.

Bill Snyder has helped Kansas State put behind the Ron Prince era. Snyder made strides in his return to the Kansas State sideline and the Wildcats will sign three in-state players on Feb. 3.

Meanwhile, Turner Gill will eventually succeed in Kansas, but not until the wounds from the Mark Mangino mess are completely heeled. Gill's attempt to play catchup in Grissom's recruitment - the senior originally committed to Mangino in June - proved futile. He had planned to be in Hutchinson on Wednesday, but cancelled his trip after Grissom told the coach of his decision on Tuesday night.

"By the time KU got back involved, Geneo was too far along in the recruiting process," said Hutchinson coach Randy Dreiling.

In other words, there was nothing Gill could have done to get Grissom to sign. However, Gill has established a line of communication at Hutch High. It's something he and his staff would be smart to develop at every high school in Kansas. Eventually, those relationships will yield in-state recruits.

For now, there is some consolation in the belief that Kansas' inability to keep its football talent here is not a loyalty issue at all, but instead could be viewed simply as a collection of personal choices.

For example, Grissom said he felt like Oklahoma's recruitment of him was "genuine ... I felt like what they were telling me wasn't just something they say to all of their recruits."

Bell, meanwhile, could look at recent history - Jason White and Sam Bradford won Heisman Trophies for the Sooners - to surmise that Norman was a good place for a quarterback to learn the game.

"When I went there, it was home to me," Bell said. "Kansas and Kansas State came after me hard. Those are great programs and I checked them both out. I just felt OU was the right fit for me."

Still, the compilation of personal recruitment choices provides hollow consolation at best. And hollow consolation, in this case, can't sack a quarterback or throw a 40-yard spiral to the sideline.

No matter how you spin it, Kansas is left holding an empty bag.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/sangimino2010-01-20T22-58-02

KantoSooner
1/22/2010, 06:08 PM
Yeeha. Much like my love for attack helicopters and ground attack aircraft, I like DEs.
Something about watching large, tall men running down little, terrified QBs that just makes me happy.

Salt City Sooner
6/27/2010, 12:43 AM
Grissom's dominance earns him honor
The News' high school male athlete of the year

By Vance Janak - The Hutchinson News - [email protected]

Geneo Grissom dreamt of being an NFL running back when he was a kid.

Grissom still has aspirations of playing at the highest level of football, but not at running back.

At 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, Grissom's size has made him a destructive defensive end.

"He is obviously a physical specimen," Hutchinson football coach Randy Dreiling said.

The NFL dream is still alive, but it will have to wait a few more years as the recent Hutchinson High graduate hopes to star at the University of Oklahoma first.

It was what Grissom did in his final year as a Salthawk - including becoming Dreiling's first signing at a BCS power in the Hutch High dynasty - that earned him the honor of The Hutchinson News' male high school athlete of the year.

Whether it was on the football field or basketball court, Grissom's athleticism was easy to see.

His jaw-dropping skills ranged from tracking down running backs and ball carriers to crushing quarterbacks on the gridiron in the fall. After helping Hutchinson win its sixth straight state championship, Grissom took his skills to the hardwood.

Grissom was a beast in the post in basketball. His combination of size and quickness made him unstoppable inside as he had several highlight reel dunks and oftentimes took complete command of the paint defensively.

"My senior year went perfectly," Grissom said. "We got another ring and I finished my career out right. We had a pretty good basketball season. We had a good run. I wouldn't change anything at all."

The anticipation of Grissom's senior year started in the summer after he verbally committed to the University of Kansas.

Grissom, who got his size from his father, hit his growth spurt in middle school.

"My seventh-grade year I was 6-1. By my eighth-grade year, I was 6-3," Grissom said. "My eighth-grade year, they moved me to tight end from running back. I didn't like that much."

Hutch High and KU fans liked what they saw out of Grissom last fall.

Grissom, a four-star recruit by Rivals.com and Scout.com, had his best season as a senior. In earning AVCTL I co-defensive MVP honors, Grissom recorded 76 tackles, including 24 for loss and 7 1/2 sacks, while also deflecting eight passes.

"He had an outstanding year," Dreiling said. "He's a guy that developed every year. He will continue to do that and be an even better player at Oklahoma."

Gifted with physical tools, Dreiling said Grissom improved most with his physical dominance.

"He played the way he looked this year and he was pretty much unblockable," Dreiling said. "He and (fellow defensive end) Justin Goetz put a lot of pressure on the quarterback. Geneo really played to his physical presence."

In addition to helping the Salthawks win their state-record sixth state championship, Grissom, one of the team captains, was a part of the winningest senior class in Hutch High history that went 50-2 in their careers.

Then came the transition to basketball.

"Getting into basketball shape was the toughest," Grissom said. "The first week of practice after football, I was just dead."

During the early portions of the basketball season, Grissom also had a looming decision of where he wanted to continue his football career. Grissom reopened his recruitment in December after Kansas coach Mark Mangino resigned.

Then came a frenzy of schools vying for Grissom's services. The two that visited and called the most were Louisiana State and Oklahoma, in addition to Kansas.

Grissom picked Oklahoma on Jan. 20 to end a couple of months' worth of coaches constantly coming to the Salt City.

"I can't imagine having more than one guy get recruited like that because all I did was baby-sit D-I coaches," Dreiling said. "LSU and OU certainly did a wonderful job. It was a unique experience because sometimes you'd have a coach come in at 10 a.m. and then they wouldn't leave town until 7 that evening.

"It had to be taxing on Geneo and his family."

It didn't look that way, though; Grissom was still outstanding on the court. His best performance came 12 days before his OU commitment.

On Jan. 8, Grissom poured in 30 points in a 66-51 win over Salina Central.

"I can't say that during the game I knew that I was having the best game of my career," Grissom said. "It was a great feeling knowing that I played that big of a role in a win and had my career game."

Grissom played a big role all season, as he averaged 14.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2 blocked shots per game to lead the Salthawks (12-10).

"He was a kid who never played a lot of basketball outside of the basketball season," first-year coach Nathan Henry said. "What he was able to do for us was a testament to his athletic ability and his skill.

"He was able to dominate a lot of games. Considering the competition we played throughout the season, that's pretty impressive."

Grissom made an impressive 65 percent of his shots from the field and was the centerpiece of the Salthawks' offense.

"He certainly opened up opportunities for other players," Henry said. "Teams felt like if they could stop him they could stop us. We funneled the offense through him and he could make the difficult shots inside.

"He also had a great spirit. He was a kid who never really got too down or too high. I think that rubbed off on the guys."

After his Hutch High graduation, Grissom moved to Norman on June 5 - the day after his birthday.

"I absolutely love it down here," Grissom said. "The training is by far the hardest thing I've had to go though. It's a whole different ball game down here."

Grissom said he's in the running for a roster spot and said "there's a good shot I'll get some playing time."

That shot comes after spending four years learning from Dreiling, who Grissom said has helped make the transition to college easier.

"The intensity of practices and the workouts made it so we always had to work hard to get better," Grissom said. "Dreiling always pushed us to be better athletes and to get better as a team. It has helped out a lot here in Norman."

The Oklahoma coaching staff looks to make Grissom even bigger, faster and stronger. If they can do that, Grissom may be able to achieve his long-term goal.

"I see myself at the next level," Grissom said. "I'm going to do everything I can to do that."

http://www.hutchnews.com/Prep/dominance

Breadburner
6/27/2010, 07:12 AM
Nothing like seeing a DE in the back field chasing a QB with **** running down his legs....