PDA

View Full Version : Big question marks coming into 2010, College Football

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 12:29 PM
here are some that i have, for college football as a whole.

1) Will the Oklahoma offensive line take the next step? Landry Jones?
2) How good will Gilbert be in his first year as a starter?
3) What will Florida do without Tebow?
4) Terrelle Pryor, was that really him in the Rose Bowl?
5) Is Jordan Jefferson really the answer at LSU?
6) USC loses 3 from the oline, can they reload with a new coach?
7) Texas loses their center, and left side of the oline.. ?
8) What will Notre Dame do this year? (always a question)
9) Can the Tide repeat, they get Florida at home?
10) Oregon, can they finally go to the title game? they return like 18 starters.

lets here some of yours

BillyBall
1/18/2010, 12:35 PM
At what point of the season do we end up moving a receiver to center or guard.

Salt City Sooner
1/18/2010, 12:37 PM
My bigger UF question is what will their D look like w/o Charlie Strong. He was every bit as responsible for those NC's as Meyer or Tebow & was long overdue to get a HC job.

KantoSooner
1/18/2010, 12:42 PM
Does Pellini craft an offense? Or will Nebraska continue to be the Mr. Mongo of college football?

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 12:50 PM
Does Pellini craft an offense? Or will Nebraska continue to be the Mr. Mongo of college football?

good question.

They showed up against Arizona in the Holiday bowl.. but I'd like to see a few more games like that before I'm sold on their O.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:07 PM
Arizona

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:12 PM
Arizona

yep, horrible way to end a season.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:14 PM
They also played Neb. in the Holiday Bowl

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:15 PM
yah, that's what i meant, zero points

sooneredaco
1/18/2010, 01:20 PM
1: How will TexAss Tech respond to the adversity they are going through?
2: How will texASS do without the pony?
3: Will we get back into National Champ contention?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:21 PM
yah, that's what i meant, zero points

Your post says Arizona St....slapnuts

sooneredaco
1/18/2010, 01:23 PM
Will anybody other than Neb be relevent in the North?

oudivesherpa
1/18/2010, 01:24 PM

Pellini hires Leach as the OC.:D

sooneredaco
1/18/2010, 01:25 PM
Pellini hires Leach as the OC.:D

That would be scary

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:25 PM
Your post says Arizona St....slapnuts

lol, whoops.

yah Arizona = Mike

and some say we want him back as a DC?? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:27 PM
lol, whoops.

yah Arizona = Mike

and some say we want him back as a DC?? :D

Yup..Like I've posted numerous times, he gets better every year that he is gone..like an old girlfried that gets better looking or your high school baseball game that you struck out 5 but now its 15

goingoneight
1/18/2010, 01:31 PM
The Joe what's-his-face cat for Nebbish was a good QB and led a pretty good offense in 2008. I think had they him back in 2009, we might have seen a S-U-H versus S-E-C MNC game.

Couple OU-related questions:
1. Is Bryce Easley still around? Does he take Moreland's spot if so?
2. Is DeJuan Miller going to be the guy that played against Baylor, K-State, A&M and Stanford or the guy who struggled so much he never saw the field against Texas and the like?
3. Who is this Jaz Reynolds guy? Why is he catching those passes fifth-year guys were routinely dropping? Can he take the next step?
4. DeMarco workhorsed... will he survive? If he does, will he live up to the hype?
5. How much improvement can one expect from the O-Line, which returns two centers, three guards and three tackles all receiving lots of PT in 2009? Add in some JUCOs, some guys coming out of redshirt and some fish out of HS in early Spring football (Irwin, Woods)... a competent line? Another struggle through 2010 with youth? Did 2009 serve as a learning experience for the core starters or was it the beginning of a two or three-year drought up front?
6. Suh was obviously the best DL in the conference... but even though a distant second... GK McCoy was ther next best... and easily the best on any other year. His leadership, his skill, his experience... ther double-teams he commanded... who fills that void? Can it be done?
7. Will Adrian Taylor be able to come back? Will he be full-strength or scared to go all out after snapping his leg like a twig against Stanford?
8. Can RJ Washington, Justin Chaisson and David King shore up the 2-deep at DE?
9. Who in OUr stacked LB corps starts?
10. How many different defenses do we run with a bunch of new guys in? Do we go back to the soft-zone, basic 4-3 every down?
11. Is Jonathan Nelson as good a fit at field corner as he was at free safety?
12. Who is backing up our starters in the secondary?
13. Will the two guys who should be on kickoff returns be there? Hint: 7 and 85.
14. What will injuries and bad luck plague us with in 2010?
15. How many FGs will a kicker have to miss to be ousted? For Stevens, it was 3. For Tress Way... well... did he even make 3?
16. Who will be the best team we face (final-record) in OOC? Cincy and FSU are both in first year-promoted head coaches.
17. What kind of challenge will Texas present us this year? No Colt, no Shipley...
18. Can Tubberville challenge us in Norman?
19. How bad will we knock the boogers out of Missouri's Chase Daniel clone?
20. Without Sam, is the Stoolwater curse still alive?
21. Where will we put this big, heavy, seventh BIG 12 Championship trophy? Next to the others? Next to the 2010 National Championship one? Next to Broyles' Heisman Trophy? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:33 PM
The Joe what's-his-face cat for Nebbish was a good QB and led a pretty good offense in 2008. I think had they him back in 2009, we might have seen a S-U-H versus S-E-C MNC game.

Couple OU-related questions:
1. Is Bryce Easley still around? Does he take Moreland's spot if so?
2. Is DeJuan Miller going to be the guy that played against Baylor, K-State, A&M and Stanford or the guy who struggled so much he never saw the field against Texas and the like?

Kevin Wilson said that Miller didn't play agains Texas because Broyles played more than expected...and yes thats what he said...I still don't understand what those 2 things have to do with each other

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 01:36 PM
Probably Kevin's way of saying...STFU is all. Lucky you didn't look into his eyes.

Blues1
1/18/2010, 01:43 PM
Are we going to get any fallout recruits from usc....(this Year)

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 02:14 PM
Urban Meyer .... chances he stays?

BoulderSooner79
1/18/2010, 02:48 PM
Urban Meyer will fade away after signing day and the gators will be SOL trying to find a coach. If the CCG game him heart pain, how is he going to weather a 4+ loss season with no Tebow on the roster?

humblesooner
1/18/2010, 04:12 PM
Urban Meyer will fade away after signing day and the gators will be SOL trying to find a coach. If the CCG game him heart pain, how is he going to weather a 4+ loss season with no Tebow on the roster?

I have felt the same way since his un-retirement happened.
I think the school officials asked him toe reverse his position to keep recruits from bailing on them. Sometime between Signing Day and the start of Spring Practice, I think the interim coach is back and Urban is retired again.

stoopified
1/18/2010, 10:24 PM
Can T.Boone State stay above the Gundy line this year?Gundy has averaged 7.2 wins a season in his tenure,the question is can he keep it up this season?He must replace 4 starters on his o-line,his only experienced QB(sorry but 1 half of play vs. CU does NOT count),NINE starters on D,and he has no playmakers at WR.Given the weak non-con slate I think Gundy does reach 7(barely).

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 10:29 PM
2010 Oklahoma State Schedule

Washington St
Troy
Tulsa
@ Louisiana Laf
TAMU
@ Texas Tech
Nebraska
@ Kstate
Baylor
@ Texas
@ Kansas
Oklahoma

show your work

Salt City Sooner
1/18/2010, 10:39 PM
start 5-0, + Baylor & KU.

silverwheels
1/18/2010, 10:39 PM
Will anyone from outside the SEC step up and win the BCS title?

stoopified
1/18/2010, 10:48 PM
Doesa USC crsh and burn? God I hope so!

Free Shooes U, a resurrection or collapse?

Do the bloodlines carry the Vols?Daddy was a great SEC coach but Jr.?

Heisman candidates?

Now that Bobby is done,what about JoePa?

My favorite speculation?How bad will the Crying Irish be this year?I did a thread a couple of years ago about how BAD ND has been since they got their NBC contract,I'm too lazy to search for it but trust me,they SUCK.

Who wins the Big East?Who cares?

How long before the U makes a coaching change?I think this year bought some time BUT the clock is ticking,I think 4 losses this year heats up the seat.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 10:48 PM
Will anyone from outside the SEC step up and win the BCS title?

one of the national title participants will be of the following

Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Oregon, Ohio St, Iowa, Boise St, Nebraska, Virginia Tech

agree?

anyone care to bet ? lol

silverwheels
1/18/2010, 11:08 PM

Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Oregon, Ohio St, Iowa, Boise St

agree?

That's a solid list. I wouldn't rule out Nebraska or Virginia Tech just yet, either, if you're going to put us on there.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 11:09 PM
That's a solid list. I wouldn't rule out Nebraska or Virginia Tech just yet, either, if you're going to put us on there.

k, fixed!

silverwheels
1/18/2010, 11:12 PM
Nice. I'm not convinced (yet) that we'll be a serious BCS title contender next year, but not a whole lot of teams look like contenders right now, either. Could be a 2007-type of season.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 11:13 PM
I'm all for a 2007 season

minus Braford tech

silverwheels
1/18/2010, 11:20 PM
Luckily we get Tech at home next year.

TexasLidig8r
1/19/2010, 10:09 AM
Discussions will start about tweaking the BCS system...

Cotton Bowl will become a player and will become the host of the Big XII champion.

Mountain West Conference will add Boise State as a conference member, they will add two spares, will split into two divisions, the Fiesta Bowl will become its host bowl and they will get an automatic bid...

Rose -- Pac 10 - Big 10
Cotton -- Big XII
Fiesta -- MWC
Sugar -- SEC
Orange -- ACC and Big Least.

National championship game will rotate among the 5 bowls.

OR...

more talk about Misery going to the Big 10/11 and serious rumblings will start about the demise of the Big XII.

stoopified
1/19/2010, 03:16 PM

Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Oregon, Ohio St, Iowa, Boise St, Nebraska, Virginia Tech

agree?

anyone care to bet ? lolUSC might have rebounded under Petey but I just don't see anything better than 9-10 wins (at the most) for the Condomns under Coffin...I mean Kiffin.

Will this be the final season for Chris Petersen at BSU?Does he have the guts to go for the big time or does he stay in Smurf World?I personally think he KNOWS better than to make the jump to big boy football.

History has shown that BIG BOY fotball is NOT kind to ex BSU coaches.Dirk Koetter was 26-10 at BSU,is 40-34 at Arizona State.Dan Hawkins was 53-11 at BSU,is 16-33 at Colorado.That is why I laugh anytime Petersen is mentioned as a great coach despite his 49-4 record.There IS a reason USC,Tennessee,Notre Dame didn't look to BSU for their coach,IT AIN'T INTRAMURALS BOTHER,but it also isn't big time football.

For the record ASU is #22 in NCAA winning %,the Buffs are #24 so ex-BSU coaches can't use lack of tradition or fan support for their inability to suceed outside of the Smurf Turf.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 07:28 PM
USC might have rebounded under Petey but I just don't see anything better than 9-10 wins (at the most) for the Condomns under Coffin...I mean Kiffin.

Will this be the final season for Chris Petersen at BSU?Does he have the guts to go for the big time or does he stay in Smurf World?I personally think he KNOWS better than to make the jump to big boy football.

History has shown that BIG BOY fotball is NOT kind to ex BSU coaches.Dirk Koetter was 26-10 at BSU,is 40-34 at Arizona State.Dan Hawkins was 53-11 at BSU,is 16-33 at Colorado.That is why I laugh anytime Petersen is mentioned as a great coach despite his 49-4 record.There IS a reason USC,Tennessee,Notre Dame didn't look to BSU for their coach,IT AIN'T INTRAMURALS BOTHER,but it also isn't big time football.

For the record ASU is #22 in NCAA winning %,the Buffs are #24 so ex-BSU coaches can't use lack of tradition or fan support for their inability to suceed outside of the Smurf Turf.

great post

goingoneight
1/20/2010, 01:18 PM
You also can't fairly compare three different guys. Does everyone think Mack Brown is as good as his next-in-line? Some do, some don't. They're different people. Also, you have to be a great all-around recruiter to just make a jump to "big boy football." Your recruiting ties is Boise Idaho do you jack squat at Texas A&M. Same goes for your record.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 01:19 PM
Mack has won his conference 2 times in 25 years as a head coach :D :D :D

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2010, 01:54 PM

Well let me play devil' advocate on this thought..

26-10 is not that impressive of record for Koetter to begin with...But he is BIG BOY enough that he has a nice OC job in the NFL..That shows he has some rep as a darn good coach..and he was 14-6 OOC...

Hawkins was 16-8 OOC with the Smurfs

Peterson is 49-4, 12-3 OOC with a record of 31-1 in conference...what does that mean? He wins games he is supposed to...That speaks volumes in itself...I know its a weak conference, but he has to get his team prepared to play every week and has done it...2 BCS Bowl wins...

Boise was 9-4 Hawkins last season...he didn't inherit a great team..But Peterson's team was good enough to go 13-0, beat a eventually 10-4 Mike Riley coached Oregon State team that ended USC's winning streak later in the year, and beat OU ..

2007, they were 10-3 and didn't beat any quality opponents so I'll give you that one..

2008, They went to #12 Oregon and beat them at their place...lost in the bowl game to #11 TCU by 1..

2009, They go undefeated again, beating #14 Oregon in the first game, and beat #3 TCU by 7...

Which its funny that a lot of people think that TCU was a NC caliber team before that game but after the loss, its "TCU wasn't that good" and no credit to CP and Boise..

Just watching Boise play this year, the caliber of athlete he has been able to bring in is twice what Hawkins and Koetter brought in...Guys who are on pre season awards lists and finalists for other awards..Here is a little secret, His teams can play a little defense as well..

I would gladly take him as a coach

sooneron
1/20/2010, 02:03 PM
here are some that i have, for college football as a whole.

1) Will the Oklahoma offensive line take the next step? Probably and it will be called for a false start! Landry Jones? He should, but still needs Run Blocking to take the heat off of him.
2) How good will Gilbert be in his first year as a starter?
Good, not great.
3) What will Florida do without Tebow?
9 wins
4) Terrelle Pryor, was that really him in the Rose Bowl?
No
5) Is Jordan Jefferson really the answer at LSU?
He is for now...
6) USC loses 3 from the oline, can they reload with a new coach?
9 wins
7) Texas loses their center, and left side of the oline.. ?
They're in Barney
8) What will Notre Dame do this year? (always a question)
Win 7 games and go to a bcs bowl game
9) Can the Tide repeat, they get Florida at home?
Probably not
10) Oregon, can they finally go to the title game? they return like 18 starters.
They will lose a stupid game that they shouldn't like they always do.

lets here some of yours
answered yours

BoulderSooner79
1/20/2010, 05:18 PM
^I wouldn't discount Peterson either. I have a feeling he is to Hawkins as Switzer was to Fairbanks. In the Boise games I've watched, his team doesn't make many mistakes. Doesn't mean he'd be a lock in a tougher conference, but I suspect he'll get the chance unless he just doesn't want it.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 05:25 PM
answered yours

good stuff, i basically agree with u