PDA

View Full Version : Jeffcoat

w0lfe
1/18/2010, 10:26 AM
Sorry if its been posted somewhere already, but my buddy at work told me that we are looking at Jeffcoat's father as a new DE coach? Has anyone else heard anything about it?

w0lfe
1/18/2010, 10:28 AM
If this was to happen, the program would definitely catch some flak because of these new recruiting rules that have been implemented, where you cannot hire someone close to the player to get them to commit.

XingTheRubicon
1/18/2010, 10:36 AM
or we could hire his sister...

badger
1/18/2010, 11:00 AM
If this was to happen, the program would definitely catch some flak because of these new recruiting rules that have been implemented, where you cannot hire someone close to the player to get them to commit.

So if we hire his Jeffcoat the coach, we can't recruit Jeffcoat the player?

How exactly do the recruiting rules work?

Hotrod3157
1/18/2010, 11:03 AM
I thought it was only against the rules in basketball and not in football but maybe I'm wrong.

swardboy
1/18/2010, 11:17 AM
There's a thread about this already, but I'm too lazy to look.....apparently it's ok to hire a kid's dad in football.

boomerborn79
1/18/2010, 12:42 PM
I don't see us getting any flack. We interviewed him before and hired Wilson instead. Also, Houston was recruiting Jeffcoat and thats were his father works. I don't think Stoops would hire Jeffcoat just to get a recruit. If he hires him its because he deserves the job.

Dan Thompson
1/18/2010, 12:49 PM
Look at the Colorado coach who son play for him last year? or the year before.

badger
1/18/2010, 12:53 PM
I don't see us getting any flack. We interviewed him before and hired Wilson instead. Also, Houston was recruiting Jeffcoat and thats were his father works. I don't think Stoops would hire Jeffcoat just to get a recruit. If he hires him its because he deserves the job.

Agree with this. Seeing how often Stoops gets rid of assistants (never), once he hires one, he plans on sticking with them for long after a single player graduates or moves on.

IronHorseSooner
1/18/2010, 03:22 PM
Football it's OK. BBALL it's not OK. His sister being on the lady's team follow's their prerequisite that you must be related to a professional athlete to get on the team! Hey, we've had successful brother combos in BBALL (Griffins), football (Selmons), and lady's BBALL (Parises). We could have the first significant brother-sister combo here. I am of the opinion that if we land his dad on the coaching staff, with the fact that his sister will be here, I think he will be a Sooner. That's why I think the last two signees will be Jeffcoat and Cullen. Porter would be a nice pick up as well, but I don't think we have any room for him.

KantoSooner
1/18/2010, 05:50 PM
Not directly related, but what if an upper classman, on schollie, were to reject his schol and pay his way? In essence to become an upper classman walk on. I suspect he would still count against some numerical limit on players or schollies per year or something.
Anyone know the real answer?

badger
1/18/2010, 06:26 PM
Kanto - I think that issue comes in basketball a lot more often, where schollys are so few that a significant amount of players do pay their way (and get academic scholarships) so that they don't count against the low limit.

As such, if the player doesn't get a scholarship - in any sport - I don't think he or she counts against the scholarship limit.

goingoneight
1/18/2010, 06:35 PM
How long before those Stoops twins are eligible? :D

I'll bet they play in a great way.

stoopified
1/18/2010, 08:33 PM
Stoops :Bottom line- My boys will compete!

KiiDSooNER
1/18/2010, 08:40 PM
Jeffcoat to stay at Houston next season.

By the way Jim Jeffcoat told FOX 26 Sports he will continue to be the defensive line coach at Houston during the 2010 season.

Perhaps that will silence the misinformation on the internet which has been trying to connect him to other jobs.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/100118-jeffcoat-considers-uh-others

GKeeper316
1/18/2010, 08:43 PM

it would be different if he was currently unemployed and had no prior experience doing what he does. since hes an established d-1 coach i dont think the ncaa could say anything, especially since his daughter is already a women's basketball commit at ou.

Soonerman08
1/18/2010, 10:57 PM
Well since Jeffcoat is staying in Houston what is Stoops going to do? Move BJW back to coach defensive ends?

Tigeman
1/18/2010, 11:05 PM
Don't put to much stock in the statement there. Everyone plays the P.C. game.

Remember, BK wasn't leaving Cincinnati if u look at his statements. LOL

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 11:06 PM
I will not be the next coach at Alabama

something like that from ole nick.

or was it going to Miami ..?

Soonerman08
1/18/2010, 11:56 PM
Well we have no evidence to support that he is coming, so at this point I wondering what is going to happen.

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/19/2010, 12:03 AM
Jeffcoat to stay at Houston next season.

By the way Jim Jeffcoat told FOX 26 Sports he will continue to be the defensive line coach at Houston during the 2010 season.

TECHNICALLY, he is the defensive line coach at Houston in 2010...there's hope yet!

KantoSooner
1/19/2010, 10:09 AM
Kanto - I think that issue comes in basketball a lot more often, where schollys are so few that a significant amount of players do pay their way (and get academic scholarships) so that they don't count against the low limit.

As such, if the player doesn't get a scholarship - in any sport - I don't think he or she counts against the scholarship limit.

thank you velly much.

OUmillenium
1/19/2010, 10:54 AM
In basketball, 1 player can make a much larger contribution than in football since only 5 guys are playing at once and they play offense and defense, for example.

Billy Tubbs hired Tisdale's HS coach to get him.

Larry Brown hired Danny Manning's dad (truck driver) to get him.

IOW, it can be abused a lot more in basketball.

NOVSooner
1/19/2010, 12:21 PM
unless i'm reading wrong Bruce Feldman's twitter says jim will interview for the position at Oklahoma

StoopTroup
1/19/2010, 12:51 PM
In basketball, 1 player can make a much larger contribution than in football since only 5 guys are playing at once and they play offense and defense, for example.

Billy Tubbs hired Tisdale's HS coach to get him.

Larry Brown hired Danny Manning's dad (truck driver) to get him.

IOW, it can be abused a lot more in basketball.

Not so sure I'd call it abuse. There are many good things that can come from a relationship like that IMO. If you had been a HS Player and you have talent to move up to the next level and your HS Coach might have been one of the reasons you were so good...it might be a good thing for the College Coach to have your old Coach not only as a resource to help the player...but also as someone who might better see all of that players strengths and weaknesses. Then the HS Coach can decide to get benefits of being exposed to the next level and have a resume builder.

Now...all that is conjecture of course as I've never been in either of those positions...but it was fun to write it. It's probably abuse.

goingoneight
1/19/2010, 12:55 PM
Ummm... I watched Houston not have so much as a pulse on defense twice this past season... the only two times I admit to seeing them.

badger
1/19/2010, 12:57 PM
If you're interested in scholarship limitations, check out this series that the NY Times did a few years ago.

Linky (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/sports/11coaches.html?ref=sports)

You have your football teams and the 85 scholarships, you have your women's sports that usually fund everything from basketball to field hockey to be Title IX compliant... and then you have baseball, track, and lacrosse, which give you percentage schollys :D

OUmillenium
1/19/2010, 01:00 PM
Not so sure I'd call it abuse. There are many good things that can come from a relationship like that IMO. If you had been a HS Player and you have talent to move up to the next level and your HS Coach might have been one of the reasons you were so good...it might be a good thing for the College Coach to have your old Coach not only as a resource to help the player...but also as someone who might better see all of that players strengths and weaknesses. Then the HS Coach can decide to get benefits of being exposed to the next level and have a resume builder.

Now...all that is conjecture of course as I've never been in either of those positions...but it was fun to write it. It's probably abuse.

I'm not calling it abuse. But obviously if there is an NCAA rule against it, then there is a perception of abuse or potential abuse.

okiedokie
1/19/2010, 02:00 PM
Would not be the first time that a coach says they are staying and then leave.... I'm just sayin :)

TXBOOMER
1/19/2010, 08:04 PM
Ummm... I watched Houston not have so much as a pulse on defense twice this past season... the only two times I admit to seeing them.

Good players make good coaches. Look at OUr Oline in 2008, then look at OUr Oline in 2009. Jeffcoat certainly has the experience and knowledge needed to make a good coach.

Herr Scholz
1/20/2010, 08:15 PM
It's moot. Jackson's going to commit to UT tonight. Brown and Muschamp are both in his house to close it.

OK2U
1/20/2010, 10:35 PM
I hope ^ this is ain't true

silverwheels
1/20/2010, 10:42 PM
I hope ^ this is ain't true

It may not happen tonight but I bet Jeffcoat ends up at Texas, anyway. Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to have him.

Crucifax Autumn
1/20/2010, 11:29 PM
It's moot. Jackson's going to commit to UT tonight. Brown and Muschamp are both in his house to close it.

10:30 now...When's this "tonight" getting here anyway?

picasso
1/21/2010, 12:00 AM

Hide the jewelry.

picasso
1/21/2010, 12:00 AM

And get the spittle can out.

misplacedsooner
1/21/2010, 12:45 AM
only 15 minutes left in tonight

picasso
1/21/2010, 12:47 AM
only 15 minutes left in tonight

It's a sleepover.

Mack is on the couch with his hands between two pillows.

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 03:16 AM
2:15 AM

Any word on Jeffcoat committing to Texas yesterday Herr?

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 03:18 AM
He's snuggling on the couch. Pay 'Tention!

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 03:27 AM
He's snuggling on the couch. Pay 'Tention!

He can snuggle all he wants....Herr told us it was guaranteed that Jeffcoat was comitting to Texas yesterday...well, no word yet.

I personally would not be at all surprised if he does commit there.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 03:40 AM
But they were having their weiner roast and snugglefest tonight. Why was there no announcement?

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 03:55 AM
Maybe Brownie told him he loved Jeffcoat.

And they fell asleep together?

I dont know.

But Herr seems to be in the know...and I want to know!

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 05:04 AM
Herr must have tripped over a pile of X and got a few dozen caught in his throat.

OU_Sooners75
1/21/2010, 05:08 AM
Must have.

OU_Sooners75
1/22/2010, 03:18 AM
So Herr....did Jeffcoat commit to Texas yesterday?

You said it was going to happen...was just wondering if it did...because I have not heard or seen anything of it.

JLEW1818
1/22/2010, 03:20 AM
UT - San Antonio

Larry Coker is his new coach

meoveryouxinfinity
1/22/2010, 04:39 PM
i just wonder if old jeffcoat can text young jeffcoat or if that would be a recruiting violation

OU-chaps0825
1/22/2010, 06:22 PM
So what's the deal with Jeffcoat? Did he visit today and what are the chances of landing him?

silverwheels
1/22/2010, 06:37 PM
So what's the deal with Jeffcoat? Did he visit today and what are the chances of landing him?

Yes, he visited today, and only he knows what our chances are, but I have the feeling that he's Texas-bound.