PDA

View Full Version : Kindle?

SOONER44EVER
1/17/2010, 11:41 PM
Hi. Just gave my wife a coupon for her birthday telling her I'd get her a Kindle. I'm not really sure what one is, where to get it or how much to spend. Any insights?

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2010, 11:47 PM
Pretty much only one place to get one new: Amazon.com. Though you can probably find them on eBay or Craigslist.

It's an eBook reader.

Couple of hundred bucks is list, I think.

SOONER44EVER
1/17/2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks. Does it have to be hooked up to the internet?

JohnnyMack
1/17/2010, 11:51 PM
The Kindle is from the devil. It's in the book of Revelations. Don't do it. Don't buy one.

Frozen Sooner
1/18/2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks. Does it have to be hooked up to the internet?

Yes and no.

The Kindle 2 has both a 3g and WiFi connection. The 3g connection doesn't need a cellular account to work-the subscription to WhisperNet is included in the Kindle price and it's maintained by Amazon. The WiFi works off your wireless router. It also has a USB connection.

The Kindle 1 has a CDMA connection and a USB connection.

You are able to use the wireless connections to purchase books when you're not at your house or don't have a handy WiFi connection, which is nice for trips. The connections are only used to download books and to sync where you're at in each book between various Kinde devices (like the iPhone has a Kindle reader app, or if you own another Kindle). The Kindle will, of course, still function as a reader without a live internet/cellular connection.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/18/2010, 01:09 AM
Will this Kindle drive a car through your apartment or is it solely for reading purposes?

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2010, 08:57 AM
Will this Kindle drive a car through your apartment or is it solely for reading purposes?

You joke but someday, probably soon, some ********* will probably do exactly that because he was reading his Kindle while driving.

Scott D
1/18/2010, 09:16 AM
I'd say Kindle would end up doing that except I doubt he can read anything more complex than a text message in all of it's illegible glory.

Frozen Sooner
1/18/2010, 09:19 AM
You joke but someday, probably soon, some ********* will probably do exactly that because he was reading his Kindle while driving.

Have you noticed a big problem with people doing that while reading books or something?

SicEmBaylor
1/18/2010, 09:50 AM
Have you noticed a big problem with people doing that while reading books or something?

Yeah. It happened 2 years ago in Waco. It was a crossword puzzle or something like that, but he veered off the access road and went right up the porch and into a house just off of I-35.

Thankfully nobody was home but it was a hell of a sight.

Howzit
1/18/2010, 10:49 AM
Yes and no.

The Kindle 2 has both a 3g and WiFi connection. The 3g connection doesn't need a cellular account to work-the subscription to WhisperNet is included in the Kindle price and it's maintained by Amazon. The WiFi works off your wireless router. It also has a USB connection.

The Kindle 1 has a CDMA connection and a USB connection.

You are able to use the wireless connections to purchase books when you're not at your house or don't have a handy WiFi connection, which is nice for trips. The connections are only used to download books and to sync where you're at in each book between various Kinde devices (like the iPhone has a Kindle reader app, or if you own another Kindle). The Kindle will, of course, still function as a reader without a live internet/cellular connection.

Also, there are 2 different models. I have the "lesser" model, which does not have a usb connection, don't know about the "higher" model.

Just got mine for Christmas and have like it so far. I do like the idea of having multiple books available on the road in case I finish one.

Downsides so far: I am still getting used to having to make sure it is charged. Not a huge deal, but I could see getting on a plane, pulling it out, and it has no battery power.

Also, searching for new books through the device is a bit cumbersome. You're better off having an idea of what you are looking for as opposed to searching at random for a new book.

If you get the device, get a cover.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 11:40 AM
Hi. Just gave my wife a coupon for her birthday telling her I'd get her a Kindle. I'm not really sure what one is, where to get it or how much to spend. Any insights?

Since the Christmas buzz is now over and we've had a month for the folks who bought one to use it....It would be interesting as to how opinions have changed pro v con since then.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137546&highlight=kindle

Frozen Sooner
1/18/2010, 11:45 AM
Also, there are 2 different models. I have the "lesser" model, which does not have a usb connection, don't know about the "higher" model.

Just got mine for Christmas and have like it so far. I do like the idea of having multiple books available on the road in case I finish one.

Downsides so far: I am still getting used to having to make sure it is charged. Not a huge deal, but I could see getting on a plane, pulling it out, and it has no battery power.

Also, searching for new books through the device is a bit cumbersome. You're better off having an idea of what you are looking for as opposed to searching at random for a new book.

If you get the device, get a cover.

Huh. Wasn't aware that there was a Kindle 2 without a USB port. I have a Kindle 1 and it has one.

On the making sure it's charged front, just turn the radio off unless you're actively using it. Should extend the battery life to about a week.

And yeah, I find that it's easier just to go to Amazon.com on my laptop and buy there instead of using the Kindle's interface unless I know specifically what I'm looking for.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 12:21 PM
And yeah, I find that it's easier just to go to Amazon.com on my laptop and buy there instead of using the Kindle's interface unless I know specifically what I'm looking for.

A downside?

1890MilesToNorman
1/18/2010, 12:32 PM
Kindle be good, bought the $500 one for Mom back in Sept or Oct. She likes it and she doesn't have to get out in the snow to go buy books. The power cord died but they replaced it and it's all good now. It's a great thing for elderly folks.

JohnnyMack
1/18/2010, 12:33 PM
The Kindle can DIAF. You people and your stupid technology.

Howzit
1/18/2010, 12:34 PM
Kindle be good, bought the $500 one for Mom back in Sept or Oct. She likes it and she doesn't have to get out in the snow to go buy books. The power cord died but they replaced it and it's all good now. It's a great thing for elderly folks.

Well, wtf is that supposed to mean?

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 12:35 PM
The Kindle can DIAF. You people and your stupid technology.

Why do hate old people?

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 12:36 PM
Well, wtf is that supposed to mean?

I think he's saying that Kindle should have a Depends Coupon inside the box during the Christmas Season next year.

1890MilesToNorman
1/18/2010, 12:41 PM
:D:D

You old fuggers are on the sensitive side ain't ya?

Howzit
1/18/2010, 12:47 PM
I will put you in timeout, little mister.

Don't doubt it.

SOONER44EVER
1/19/2010, 01:09 AM
I got her the Kindle 2. Thed email said it won't be here until the 28th. I bet she can't wait that long without buying a book.

Frozen Sooner
1/19/2010, 08:24 AM
I'm surprised nobody's questioned two things here:

1. You seriously gave your wife a certificate saying you'd buy something whose character and cost you didn't know? What would have you done were it a $9,000 dildo?

2. What the heck are you doing letting your woman read?

;)

soonerboomer93
1/19/2010, 10:43 AM
#2 is the important part

however, what they heck would make a dildo run 9k? Gold plated balls on it?

OUDoc
1/19/2010, 11:04 AM
Howzit has run in marathons. Doesn't that make him a 42.2K dildo?

texas bandman
1/20/2010, 04:00 PM
I just read reviews of e-readers in one of my financial magazines and they rated the Barnes and Noble "Nook" better than the "Kindle" and both better than the Sony reader..

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2010, 05:03 PM
I detest the very concept of ebook readers, BUT if I had to buy one then I'd definitely go with the Nook.

Also, don't forget, my mother's book is available for digital download on Amazon. :D :D :D :D

NormanPride
1/20/2010, 05:22 PM
Books aren't that big or heavy... why carry a kindle when a book is just as easy?

JohnnyMack
1/20/2010, 05:27 PM
Kindle = Decline of Western Civilization

C&CDean
1/20/2010, 05:45 PM
When I went on amazon.com a while back to purchase a camera for momma there were "kindle" ads all over the ****ing place. One of the guys at work had said "I got my wife a kindle for christmas" and I'm going wtf is a kindle?

Anyhow, after looking at these things I can only say this:

You must be one lazy, pathetic, broke-dick slob to have one of these things. I mean c'mon, you can buy the ****ing book for $7 at the walmarts or $9 over at Barnes & Noble. There's something real about holding a chunk of dead tree with type in your hands. Holding some holographic reader thingy from star trek where you gotta talk all fruity like Froze to understand it is gay.

Besides, when I read that Dumbledore died on page 597, it probably ain't page 597 on one of those homoprobes with dead batteries. Hell, my books don't die. I'm with JM on this one. **** those things.

1890MilesToNorman
1/20/2010, 05:45 PM
Books aren't that big or heavy... why carry a kindle when a book is just as easy?

With a Kindle you could be carrying 3500 books.

NormanPride
1/20/2010, 06:06 PM
With a Kindle you could be carrying 3500 books.

And you're reading them all at the same time? Even if you're a bookworm and read like 4 books at once, this is needless. Unless you repeatedly read multiple books that are coffee-table sized then a kindle is pointless.

I mean, I read a fair amount and enjoy taking multiple books with me on vacation in case I finish some of them. I sometimes read a couple at a time. But in no way am I even slightly interested in getting a kindle. Books take up so little space and weight that I just don't care. And for $500 that thing better be loaded with every book I ever want to read!

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2010, 07:31 PM

Because a Kindle doesn't carry just one book. It can carry like 1000.

Carrying 500 books on a Kindle sure as hell weighs less than 500 traditional books.

Frozen Sooner
1/20/2010, 10:21 PM
And you're reading them all at the same time? Even if you're a bookworm and read like 4 books at once, this is needless. Unless you repeatedly read multiple books that are coffee-table sized then a kindle is pointless.

I mean, I read a fair amount and enjoy taking multiple books with me on vacation in case I finish some of them. I sometimes read a couple at a time. But in no way am I even slightly interested in getting a kindle. Books take up so little space and weight that I just don't care. And for $500 that thing better be loaded with every book I ever want to read!

Wow, Amazon's going to be pissed when they found out they sold me mine for about $200.

Try going through a couple of moves with a large book collection.

Frozen Sooner
1/20/2010, 10:21 PM
Who would ever want an iPod? CDs don't weigh that much.

JohnnyMack
1/20/2010, 10:52 PM
The Kindle can ESAD.

JohnnyMack
1/20/2010, 10:53 PM
Take your crystal pepsi, your pet rock and your kindle and head off to the land of misfit consumer ****.

KC//CRIMSON
1/20/2010, 11:05 PM

It's amazing some people ever make it on to the internet.

SOONER44EVER
1/20/2010, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised nobody's questioned two things here:

1. You seriously gave your wife a certificate saying you'd buy something whose character and cost you didn't know? What would have you done were it a $9,000 dildo?

2. What the heck are you doing letting your woman read?

;)

1. Been $9000 poorer but been able to watch way more football and tv.

2. Someone in the family has to do the reading.

:D

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2010, 11:36 PM
Try going through a couple of moves with a large book collection.

Yep, I just got moved home from Waco last weekend and I couldn't believe how much room and space it took to move my books. The books were simply a nightmare to pack up and move.

In some way it would be nice to have all those books on an easy to use ebook reader, but I just enjoy physical and tangible books.

They are, however, an absolute bitch to move.

StoopTroup
1/21/2010, 09:52 AM
Books? Baylor required you to read? :D

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 10:51 AM

I don't read 120 books in the span of a day. But nice try.

I also don't read books over and over again.

Howzit
1/21/2010, 10:55 AM

I was pretty much thinking the same thing and didn't really want a Kindle. Got one for Christmas. I like it.

the end.

Howzit
1/21/2010, 10:57 AM
PLUS, anything that puts me in the not-Johnny Mack camp is an added bonus.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2010, 10:58 AM
I don't read 120 books in the span of a day. But nice try.

I also don't read books over and over again.

Wow. You listen to 120 hour-long CDs in a day? This explains why you don't have time to read books over and over again.

Me, I read favorite books over and over again. Sure, there's only so many facets you can uncover in Horton Hears a Who?, but I haven't hit that limit yet.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 11:10 AM
Wow. You listen to 120 hour-long CDs in a day? This explains why you don't have time to read books over and over again.

Me, I read favorite books over and over again. Sure, there's only so many facets you can uncover in Horton Hears a Who?, but I haven't hit that limit yet.

I have never been able to read a book again. I get ten pages in, and remember everything that happened and it takes all the fun out.

And no, I don't listen to 120 hour-long cds in a day. But If I listen to 120 songs from 120 albums it's the same need, right? Song consumption <> book consumption. C'mon, Froz you can come up with a better analogy.

How about movies? DVDs aren't that big and don't weigh much, but it would be much more convenient to have them all at your fingertips in a small laptop or something. The difference for me is the experience. I like experiencing movies again, but not books. I can watch Die Hard again and again because Bruce Willis blowing **** up is awesome. Reading Die Hard: The Novel again and again is an exercise in boredom for me.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2010, 11:23 AM
I have never been able to read a book again. I get ten pages in, and remember everything that happened and it takes all the fun out.

OK.

And no, I don't listen to 120 hour-long cds in a day. But If I listen to 120 songs from 120 albums it's the same need, right? Song consumption <> book consumption. C'mon, Froz you can come up with a better analogy.

You've never heard of burning mix CDs? The analogy holds much better than you seem to think-your comment was CDs, not individual songs.

How about movies? DVDs aren't that big and don't weigh much, but it would be much more convenient to have them all at your fingertips in a small laptop or something. The difference for me is the experience. I like experiencing movies again, but not books. I can watch Die Hard again and again because Bruce Willis blowing **** up is awesome. Reading Die Hard: The Novel again and again is an exercise in boredom for me.

Not sure where you're going with that.

JohnnyMack
1/21/2010, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine who has a Kindle uses it for the news subscription service, which when traveling would be neat to have.

As far as books go, **** a Kindle. It's stupid. People act like they need it so they don't have to lug a bunch of books with them on the plane or in their luggage. Well guess what ******nozzle, you're not going to ****ing Pashtun for 8 months, you're probably going to places like Sacramento and Charlotte. If you finish your book on your trip, go to ****ing Barnes & Noble like the rest of us and buy a new goddamned book. Stop trying to turn everything on this planet into an electronic fantasyland.

/Luddite.

KC//CRIMSON
1/21/2010, 11:33 AM
A friend of mine who has a Kindle uses it for the news subscription service, which when traveling would be neat to have.

As far as books go, **** a Kindle. It's stupid. People act like they need it so they don't have to lug a bunch of books with them on the plane or in their luggage. Well guess what ******nozzle, you're not going to ****ing Pashtun for 8 months, you're probably going to places like Sacramento and Charlotte. If you finish your book on your trip, go to ****ing Barnes & Noble like the rest of us and buy a new goddamned book. Stop trying to turn everything on this planet into an electronic fantasyland.

/Luddite.

Dean Jr. ladies and Gentlemen!

Howzit
1/21/2010, 11:36 AM
A friend of mine

Now you're just making **** up.

1890MilesToNorman
1/21/2010, 11:53 AM
I bought one for Mom, I don't own a Kindle myself. Mom is 75 years old and loves to read, we live in Maine and for 3-4 months a years I do not want her out in the snow and cold to go buy books. It has worked wonderfully this winter and we have started to give away the 1000 or so books she has in the house. There are many benefits for her.

It has made her life easier and thats all I care about.

SicEmBaylor
1/21/2010, 11:59 AM
Books? Baylor required you to read? :D

Yes, a lot. A whole hell of a lot. But, I'm talking about my personal collection not required reading. I sell most of those books back.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2010, 12:06 PM

/Luddite.

I went to a small town in Arizona for a week where the nearest bookstore was a half hour drive. I read 8 books in that week. It was handy.

My main thing, though, is that it reduces clutter in my place and I don't have to pack a bunch of books anymore when I move. If you don't like it, great. Don't buy one.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 12:07 PM
You've never heard of burning mix CDs? The analogy holds much better than you seem to think-your comment was CDs, not individual songs.

Yeah, but songs are in a small, easily digestible format whereas books take a long time commitment to finish. Sure, you can start and stop them at any time, but the whole product still requires a long time to consume. Having thousands of songs on an iPod <> thousands of books on a Kindle because the media is consumed completely differently.

Not sure where you're going with that.

I'm saying that people consume movies a lot more like books. A time and concentration commitment that is similar, replay value that is similar for some. I would love to see Star Trek 500 times, but Blood Diamond is something that I'd only watch once.

JM mentioned the news service, which I think is really neat. I'd actually consider it a much higher selling point for me than the fact that you can read books on it too. A digital news reader with access to any newspaper anywhere? Yes, please.

JohnnyMack
1/21/2010, 12:15 PM
Nothing like curling up with a nice digital copy of Stephen King's Thinner. I love my old worn out digital copy of Catcher in the Rye. I just smashed my Kindle screen against the tile floor so some of the screen goes black and it feels all old and broken in.

They should make Kindle bibles with a built in credit card swiper across the top so you can just tithe as you go.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 12:40 PM
It would be better if it ran off of human blood.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2010, 12:42 PM
Nothing like curling up with a nice digital copy of Stephen King's Thinner. I love my old worn out digital copy of Catcher in the Rye. I just smashed my Kindle screen against the tile floor so some of the screen goes black and it feels all old and broken in.

They should make Kindle bibles with a built in credit card swiper across the top so you can just tithe as you go.

No need. Just donate through your Amazon account, which already has your credit card info.

If you find value in your books being worn-out, great. I don't find any value in that, but I'm not making any judgment. I, personally, get annoyed when books I've read and reread start falling apart. The point about the screen breaking is valid, though when that DID happen to me Amazon replaced my Kindle within 2 days at no charge.

C&CDean
1/21/2010, 01:55 PM
How much do one of these things weigh? I can't tell you the number of times I've been laying in the bed at the hotel and then I start to nod. I've had books slip from my fingers and hit me in the nose a bunch of times. One of these kindle things might cause grave injury.

Also, can you read them in the dark? If so, that would be the one positive thing I can think of.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 02:05 PM
Good point, Dean. Reading in the dark is nice...

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2010, 02:06 PM
How much do one of these things weigh? I can't tell you the number of times I've been laying in the bed at the hotel and then I start to nod. I've had books slip from my fingers and hit me in the nose a bunch of times. One of these kindle things might cause grave injury.

Also, can you read them in the dark? If so, that would be the one positive thing I can think of.

Lighter than a regular paperback. Right about a pound, I think.

You cannot read them in the dark. They're designed to use reflected light so you don't get the eyestrain you get looking at a monitor.

1890MilesToNorman
1/21/2010, 02:09 PM
19 oz for the large one and Froz is correct that you need light to read it. It was designed to read like print on a piece of paper.

C&CDean
1/21/2010, 02:40 PM
19 ounces? **** man, that's War & Peace. That'd kill me.

NormanPride
1/21/2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I was starting to like it...

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 02:46 PM
19 ounces? **** man. That'd kill me.

It would just get me REALLY friggin' stoned!

http://blog.pappastax.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/stoned-agin.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2010, 02:49 PM
Lighter than a regular paperback. Right about a pound, I think.

You cannot read them in the dark. They're designed to use reflected light so you don't get the eyestrain you get looking at a monitor.

Why not the radical idea of a llight switch on the damned thing? :confused:

1890MilesToNorman
1/21/2010, 02:51 PM
19 ounces? **** man, that's War & Peace. That'd kill me.

That's for the large one which is 1/3 bigger then the regular one.

Wear a helmet to bed. :P

1890MilesToNorman
1/21/2010, 02:53 PM
Why not the radical idea of a llight switch on the damned thing? :confused:

They do sell a click on light as an accessory.

Picky, picky, picky. You folks is tough to please. :cool: