PDA

View Full Version : Will bad karma bite the Colts?

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2010, 09:36 PM
Warning: Not an OU thread.

I never bought that "protect the starters" reason for the Colts not trying to go 16-0. I think that was part of the reason, but I believe they were also trying to influence who made the playoffs. They could have protected the starters the week before against the Jags, but played a tough game for the win. I don't think they wanted a possible rematch with the Jags and they effectively knock them out. They would have knocked the Jets out as well with a win and even though the lead was small when they pulled the starters, they were controlling the game. But by laying down, they put the Jets in control of their own situation and made it almost impossible for the Steelers to get in. I thought that was smart football - who would want to play the defending champions if they had the choice?

But now they have to play that team that they let in. Who thinks football karma is going to bite them in the azz ? If they get an easy win, will they look brilliant?

Collier11
1/17/2010, 09:53 PM
2 of my wishes have come true, the cowboys and chargers lost, if Peyton could lose id be happy with any team that wins the SB since my Chiefs suck

AzianSooner
1/17/2010, 10:35 PM
The dude from USC starting for Jet is real deal. If he leads his team to the NFL Championship, he is the first rookie to set the record.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 11:08 PM
I never bought that "protect the starters" reason for the Colts not trying to go 16-0. I think that was part of the reason, but I believe they were also trying to influence who made the playoffs. They could have protected the starters the week before against the Jags, but played a tough game for the win. I don't think they wanted a possible rematch with the Jags and they effectively knock them out. They would have knocked the Jets out as well with a win and even though the lead was small when they pulled the starters, they were controlling the game. But by laying down, they put the Jets in control of their own situation and made it almost impossible for the Steelers to get in. I thought that was smart football - who would want to play the defending champions if they had the choice?

I would, as long as the defending champion sucks.

sooner59
1/17/2010, 11:49 PM
I don't have anything against the Colts, and I like Peyton Manning. I also care nothing about the Jets. That being said, it would be EPIC if the Jets won. Colts rest their starters and basically throw in the towel and let the Jets win, giving them a spot in the playoffs. Jets make it back to AFC CG and beat the Colts and make it to the Super Bowl. Epic karma I say. And after the season the Competition Committee would meet to change rules regarding resting starters in the final weeks of the regular season. Colts fans would probably be calling for the head of the coach that got them there. Nevermind the fact that if they would have beaten the Jets it would still be a great move resting their starters. Chaos is always a great thing in the NFL. Entertaining.

badger
1/18/2010, 12:00 AM
The dude from USC starting for Jet is real deal. If he leads his team to the NFL Championship, he is the first rookie to set the record.
I'm sure the media is already dreaming of a "young QB versus old QB" matchup for Super Bowl Sunday.

I'm sure the NFL is already firing everyone who had anything to do with moving the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl.

I'm sure I am going to watch a lot of OU mens and womens basketball to forget the fact that my team is out. :(

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 12:00 AM
And after the season the Competition Committee would meet to change rules regarding resting starters in the final weeks of the regular season.

There should be no such rules. It should be left completely up to the coach to determine who plays and who doesn't.

SoonerDood
1/18/2010, 12:19 AM

He nearly set the rookie record for INTs in a season. The Jets had the fewest passing attempts of any team, and the most rushing attempts of any team, and he still threw 20 INTs. And as somebody said, the Jets are only in the playoff because the Colts let them in.

BoulderSooner79
1/18/2010, 12:27 AM
I just think it's an interesting situation. The Bengals also rested starters against the Jets and the Jets turned around and knocked them out of the playoffs (such gratitude!:)). The outcome next week will make the Colts look either really stupid or brilliant. If they win, they will only have had to beat 2 wildcard teams at home to get to the SB. If they lose, it will be to a team they could have eliminated but let win.

sooner59
1/18/2010, 02:36 AM
There should be no such rules. It should be left completely up to the coach to determine who plays and who doesn't.

The funny thing is, I agree. I was just saying that if the Jets win, it will probably happen, because there will be craziness if that situation plays out.

Collier11
1/18/2010, 02:39 AM
The funny thing is, I agree. I was just saying that if the Jets win, it will probably happen, because there will be craziness if that situation plays out.

To make a rule would be retarded

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 03:54 AM
I think there is one already in place, but I'm not sure it is very enforceable.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 04:25 AM
To make a rule would be retarded

Hell....just talking about it is retarded.

Speculating as to what the NFL might or might not do is laughable anyway. I've met a bunch of these folks over the years. It's a huge think tank with egos the size of the universe and I'm not even talking about the players or coaches. Just the NFL Organization and the Team Owners and then the folks involved in the front offices are a thing to behold.

No other event can compare to the Super Bowl. Fans don't stand to hardly get a ticket. Corporate America and the NFL buy up hotels in the Super Bowl Venues in deals that happen way before the NFL starts hanging banners and advertising Pre-Super Bowl events. It's a huge Circus.

I've been to 5 Media Centers for the Super Bowl in past years. The Media areas are even full of egos. Their are your average guys looking to get in on the action because they have Press Credentials, SI folks, CBS, NBC, ABC/ESPN, Fox...etc...

People you wouldn't even know if you saw them....that are somebody in those circles.

I loved every minute of it though. :D

SoonerInFla
1/18/2010, 05:14 AM
He nearly set the rookie record for INTs in a season. The Jets had the fewest passing attempts of any team, and the most rushing attempts of any team, and he still threw 20 INTs. And as somebody said, the Jets are only in the playoff because the Colts let them in.

And now that they're in, they've won 2 games. Icing on the cake will be eliminating the team that let them in on their way to the Super Bowl.

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 05:35 AM
But that wouldn't be displaying much gratitude to the team that let them in. To be gracious, they should throw the game.