PDA

View Full Version : Simple NFL rule changes I'd like to see

TUSooner
1/17/2010, 03:01 PM
Games are interrupted by too many chicken-**** illegal motion or illegal formation calls.
Therefore:

I would like to see the 7-man line rule changed so that a team needs only 5 on the line AS LONG AS at least 2 of the remaining 6 players are wide, say, at least 5 yards from the man on the end of the 5-man line. That would eliminate the silliness of having a penalty called because a receiver who is 15 yards from the ball is a yard behind the line, leaving the tackle "uncovered." I think the current rule is a useless vestige of the ancient time when the forward pass was new.

I would also like the NFL to adopt the Canadian rule that allows multiple players to be in motion behind the line.

delhalew
1/17/2010, 03:10 PM
I strongly agree!

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2010, 04:00 PM
I don't think that's a bad idea at all. Wouldn't mind seeing the rule further amended to instead of the OLs head needing to be ahead of the center's belt, it needs to be ahead of the center's shoulders.

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2010, 04:45 PM
Allowing more receivers off the line would really make it tough to play press coverage. I could see the NFL doing that as they often tweak the rules to favor the passing game when the defenses get more effective and scoring goes down.

hawaii 5-0
1/17/2010, 05:02 PM
I'm still amazed that in this day and age there isn't some technology used, like a computor chip in the football, to do away with those yardage chains.

At least on the Pro level.

5-0:cool:

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 09:43 PM
A computer chip probably wouldn't help, because the question is where was the ball when the knee hit the ground?

I want to see all technology banned. No instant replays. No microphones in the helmets. I remember watching the games back in the 1970s and enjoyed them just as much. Technology has only intensified the whining.

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2010, 09:46 PM
But whining is a big part of the game, isn't it? :confused:

TUSooner
1/17/2010, 10:00 PM
But whining is a big part of the game, isn't it? :confused:

I think Leroy advocates a purer form of whining. ;) Replay is here to stay. The toothpaste is out of the tube; the genie is out of the bottle. As long as the TV viewer can see what really happened, there is a need to apply the available technology to get the calls right on the field.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:04 PM
Anything and everything that can be done to ensure that the teams decide the outcome of the game and not some dumas in a striped shirt should be encourged.

badger
1/17/2010, 11:11 PM
I'm still amazed that in this day and age there isn't some technology used, like a computor chip in the football, to do away with those yardage chains.

At least on the Pro level.

5-0:cool:

I think the chains make it more dramatic for fans to see whether or not the team made the first down (the anticipating! the wait... the measurement! the signal!).

If they would use a compy chip for something, I'd rather it be for the ball itself. Did the ball break the plane for a TD? Did the nose of the ball cross a certain yard marker? If there's a big burly O-Liner in the way of instant replay shots, we may never know.

TUSooner
1/18/2010, 11:16 AM
Where would you put the chip(s) in a football so that it would indicated a TD if any part of the ball "breaks the plane"?

I actually like the rugby rule where you actually have to touch the ball down across the goal line. Ain't happenin, of course, and I know that.

soonermix
1/18/2010, 11:27 AM
what about the rule that the nfl cheerleaders have to wear clothes?
we could change that one and i wouldn't mind

humblesooner
1/18/2010, 04:15 PM
what about the rule that the nfl cheerleaders have to wear clothes?
we could change that one and i wouldn't mind

Is that really a rule?
I bet it's not, making this an easy one to change.:eek:

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 04:18 PM

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 04:27 PM
I actually like the rugby rule where you actually have to touch the ball down across the goal line. Ain't happenin, of course, and I know that.

IIRC, that was the rule back in the early days of football. I think they changed it because players would be held down to where they couldn't touch the ball to the ground, and the struggle would last forever.

With the passing game, the rule wouldn't work. A receiver would have to catch the ball then down the ball onto the ground.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 04:39 PM
Is that really a rule?
I bet it's not, making this an easy one to change.:eek:

I never even noticed that they had clothes on.

Rickety_Syd
1/18/2010, 06:10 PM
Games are interrupted by too many chicken-**** illegal motion or illegal formation calls.
Therefore:

I would like to see the 7-man line rule changed so that a team needs only 5 on the line AS LONG AS at least 2 of the remaining 6 players are wide, say, at least 5 yards from the man on the end of the 5-man line. That would eliminate the silliness of having a penalty called because a receiver who is 15 yards from the ball is a yard behind the line, leaving the tackle "uncovered." I think the current rule is a useless vestige of the ancient time when the forward pass was new.

I would also like the NFL to adopt the Canadian rule that allows multiple players to be in motion behind the line.

How about if the offense just lines up correctly.
In some bizzare way, that might cut back on penalties.

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 06:43 PM
How hard is it for a player to look at the line of scrimmage and place himself so that he doesn't draw a penalty? How hard can this be?

TUSooner
1/18/2010, 09:04 PM
How about if the offense just lines up correctly.
In some bizzare way, that might cut back on penalties.

Where's the fun in that?
OK, sure. That's true.
But in a game that already has more complications than the Tax Code, one fewer chicken-poop rule would be OK.

OH yeah - the multiple motion rule would open up the passing game, which seems to be the desired trend of almost every rule change since 1947. (BTW... "since 1947" is hyperbole. Don't waste your time looking it up just to prove me wrong.) :rolleyes: