PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma coaching changes

Boomer!!
1/17/2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011610aaa.html

Blues1
1/17/2010, 12:30 AM
I guess being a co/defense cord pays more money, but I can't see this as a Big Jump in the long run, but what to I know....?
Good Luck Coach Chris Wilson...! ~~:)

Boomer!!
1/17/2010, 12:35 AM
I guess being a co/defense cord pays more money, but I can't see this as a Big Jump in the long run, but what to I know....?
Good Luck Coach Chris Wilson...! ~~:)

Just working his way up the ladder I guess. I got kinda bummed when I found out it was him because I thought it was offensive cordinator Wilson, but oh well. Good luck!

delhalew
1/17/2010, 12:38 AM
I've been trying to understand the draw of that job myself. I guess even being a co-coordinator will elevate your stock. I just think it would be hard being part of a two headed monster.

Anyway, good luck Coach Wilson.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 12:40 AM
Just working his way up the ladder I guess. I got kinda bummed when I found out it was him because I thought it was offensive cordinator Wilson, but oh well. Good luck!

Yup, this would have been preferable.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 01:00 AM
Have we had an offensive coordinator we liked since Leach? (I'm not sure I was on this board when Leach was here, so I can't recall what everyone said of him. We probably whined about his playcalling too.)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2010, 01:07 AM
Have we had an offensive coordinator we liked since Leach? (I'm not sure I was on this board when Leach was here, so I can't recall what everyone said of him. We probably whined about his playcalling too.)

heck yeah we complained about leach and with good reason too. whether it be notre dame or the tech game that year where he stayed behind and interviewed. those were games HE lost by himself.

Widescreen
1/17/2010, 01:08 AM
The people that complained about Leach were usually upset that he was having to throw the ball on 3rd and goal from the 1 because we had no push at all.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2010, 01:09 AM
what the wise widescreen said...and why I wish him and mangino luck elsewhere

SbOrOiNaEnR
1/17/2010, 01:15 AM
So here's what needs to happen:

Link (http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/01/15/ou-needs-a-new-de-coach-how-about-jim-jeffcoat/?custom_click=lead_story_title)

OU needs a new DE coach? How about Jim Jeffcoat?

Posted by Jake Trotter on January 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm

It appears that Bob Stoops will be looking for a defensive ends coach by the end of the weekend.

Current ends coach Chris Wilson “anticipates” he will take the co-defensive coordinator/defensive line coach position at Mississippi State, where he was Thursday interviewing for the job.

Here’s a suggestion for Wilson’s replacement: Jim Jeffcoat.

The former Dallas Cowboy great is currently the defensive line coach at Houston under former Sooner assistant Kevin Sumlin. He also spent seven years as an assistant with the Dallas Cowboys.

Jeffcoat reportedly interviewed for the the same job at OU in 2005, but Stoops decided on Wilson, who was a former Sooner linebacker.

Jeffcoat, however, might be interested in interviewing again. His family lives in Plano, which is actually closer to Norman than Houston.

His daughter, Jacqueline, will be a freshman basketball player under Sherri Coale at OU next season.

His son, defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat, is the No. 2 prospect in the nation according to ESPNU. Jackson — who is also considering Houston (where his dad currently is), Arizona State (where his dad went to school), USC (which had a coaching change), Texas and OU — is scheduled to take an official visit to Norman next weekend.

Losing Chris Wilson probably hurts OU in the recruitment of Jackson.

Unless Wilson’s replacement is Jackson’s dad.

-JT

Note: It’s against the rules in men’s college basketball now to hire the associate of a recruit. But not college football.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 01:21 AM
So we have complained about every offensive coordinator we have ever had, including one that set a record for point production and won Assistant of the Year. At this point is that enough evidence to say that we will never be satisfied with the playcalling?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/17/2010, 01:22 AM
yes

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 01:23 AM
Note: It’s against the rules in men’s college basketball now to hire the associate of a recruit. But not college football.

Again, I think it's because one player doesn't have as big an impact in a sport where 11 players are on the field.

delhalew
If Bob thinks he can do the job then it's fine by me.

Curly Bill
I was pretty satisfied with the play calling when we had Heisman QB running the show, along with a stacked OL and a stud TE.

When we tried to do the same things with a different cast...not so much.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 02:42 AM
If Bob thinks he can do the job then it's fine by me.

But since Bob hasn't read our comments in here, he's not well informed.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 02:43 AM

Yes, losing all your players does tend to bog things down a bit.

gaylordfan1
1/17/2010, 03:45 AM
agreed. ^

gaylordfan1
1/17/2010, 03:49 AM
I thought the deal was done.... I expected to hear Stoops make a statement this weekend about adding Jeffcoat to the staff.

ashley
1/17/2010, 08:09 AM
So we have complained about every offensive coordinator we have ever had, including one that set a record for point production and won Assistant of the Year. At this point is that enough evidence to say that we will never be satisfied with the playcalling?
Is that the truth or not?

OUinFLA
1/17/2010, 08:24 AM
Is that the truth or not?

On this board, at some time or the other, we have complained about everyone, everything, every outcome, every call, every opponent, every ref....etc, etc, etc.

So, the quick answer is .....

Yes.

boomerborn79
1/17/2010, 11:26 AM
I was pretty satisfied with the play calling when we had Heisman QB running the show, along with a stacked OL and a stud TE.

This^^^ Meerkat not as effective.

boomerborn79
1/17/2010, 11:33 AM
On this board, at some time or the other, we have complained about everyone, everything, every outcome, every call, every opponent, every ref....etc, etc, etc.

So, the quick answer is .....

Yes.

Yes at the university of Oklahoma we expect championships. Thats why we complain. If we were Kansas fan's or Ole miss fans that we would be re-tard to complain about things BUT we aren't we are a fan group that gets to rep the history of winning. One of the elite if not the most elite college football team in america. So if we seem unhappy by not winning your right. We play for championships. Bob knows if he doesn't win he's going to hear it. That's because we expect to win.

Sooner Eclipse
1/17/2010, 11:57 AM

^^ this - play calling based on the personel available makes a whole lot more sense than play calling based on your award winning system despite the fact that you don't have the personel to use it.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 12:23 PM
Yes at the university of Oklahoma we expect championships. Thats why we complain. If we were Kansas fan's or Ole miss fans that we would be re-tard to complain about things BUT we aren't we are a fan group that gets to rep the history of winning. One of the elite if not the most elite college football team in america. So if we seem unhappy by not winning your right. We play for championships. Bob knows if he doesn't win he's going to hear it. That's because we expect to win.

But what good does it do if we're just going to complain about KW's replacement?

play calling based on the personel available makes a whole lot more sense than play calling based on your award winning system despite the fact that you don't have the personel to use it.

There isn't anything that we see that Stoops and KW don't see. They know the personnel better than we do. They know offense more than we do. So how is it that we know the answers but Stoops and KW do not?

At this point, Stoops has hired four offensive coordinators and we didn't like any of them. So we either have to say that (1) Stoops doesn't know how to evaluate offensive coordinators or (2) there is more to being an offensive coordinator than we understand.

BTW, it's "personnel."

Blues1
1/17/2010, 12:41 PM
But what good does it do if we're just going to complain about KW's replacement?

There isn't anything that we see that Stoops and KW don't see. They know the personnel better than we do. They know offense more than we do. So how is it that we know the answers but Stoops and KW do not?

At this point, Stoops has hired four offensive coordinators and we didn't like any of them. So we either have to say that (1) Stoops doesn't know how to evaluate offensive coordinators or (2) there is more to being an offensive coordinator than we understand.

BTW, it's "personnel."

Amen & Amen
One more point about this board....Yes OU football is our Number ONE Concern here -- But We also talk and know more about College Football than 99.9 % of any boards I've been to --- Want to know what's happening in College Football...? ~~ Come here to this board ~~~ :)

Amen / Rockin'

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, losing all your players does tend to bog things down a bit.

So does not changing your plan to fit those new players.

OUinFLA
1/17/2010, 05:09 PM
So does not changing your plan to fit those new players.

If some of y'all will quit posting, I'll change my plan.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 05:16 PM
If some of y'all will quit posting, I'll change my plan.

Knock yourself out. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
1/17/2010, 05:19 PM

BTW, it's "personnel."

Or 3) you could just STFU about it all and try and enjoy what Bob does and be thankful we have the Coaches we do.

SouthFortySooner
1/17/2010, 06:50 PM

I agree with the demon dog.

KiiDSooNER
1/17/2010, 07:23 PM
A guy I know told me that Jim is scheduled to sign here on Thursday (21st). Has anyone else heard about that? Would make sense, because his son is due to be visiting here on the 22nd.

Tear Down This Wall
1/17/2010, 10:56 PM
Move BJW back to DE coach and hire former USF head coach Leavitt as Co-DC.

ndpruitt03
1/17/2010, 11:06 PM
Move BJW back to DE coach and hire former USF head coach Leavitt as Co-DC.

That might be the best move for the staff.

goingoneight
1/18/2010, 06:50 PM

When we tried to do the same things with in a body cast...not so much.

Fixed.

stoopified
1/18/2010, 09:18 PM
So we have complained about every offensive coordinator we have ever had, including one that set a record for point production and won Assistant of the Year. At this point is that enough evidence to say that we will never be satisfied with the playcalling?My exact thoughts.I recall bitching and moaning about Galen Hall,Mack Brown,Larry Coker,Dick Winder,Blakes idiot best friend(Joe Dickinson?),Leach,Mangino,Long, and now Wilson.There just ain't no pleasing some people.The only truly inept coach I can think of is Dickinson.BTW I have the sneaking suspocion I have overlooked 1 or 2 o-co-ordinators.

Back to the subiect at hand ,Chris is taking the best course to advance his career.No shot at HC without co-ordinator experience.Good luck Chris.

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 09:54 PM
"We would have won that game if Barry Switzer had called the right plays. Anyone can predict the call 90% of the time. I'm telling you, if we had a different OC we would have beat Nebraska. If Fairbanks had any guts, he'd get get rid of Switzer, but he has too much loyalty to his assistants."

That's what this board would have looked like in 1971.

ndpruitt03
1/18/2010, 11:56 PM
"We would have won that game if Barry Switzer had called the right plays. Anyone can predict the call 90% of the time. I'm telling you, if we had a different OC we would have beat Nebraska. If Fairbanks had any guts, he'd get get rid of Switzer, but he has too much loyalty to his assistants."

That's what this board would have looked like in 1971.

Probably, but I think I've even seen Switzer and the DC at the time(I think it was Lacewell but I'm not 100% sure) said that it was the defenses fault.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 12:43 AM
I don't follow.

ndpruitt03
1/19/2010, 01:00 AM
I don't follow.

I'll have to find the exact quotes. But something about the defensive game plan that the coaches regret looking back at it. I don't remember the specifics.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 01:08 AM
I thought we were talking about offensive coordinators.

ndpruitt03
1/19/2010, 01:12 AM
I do get your point that people always complain about OCs and always will. But people have complained just as much about Venables in recent years also.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 01:19 AM
But people think they know more about offenses. Plus, offensive playcalling is easier to second guess. So offensive coordinators are ripe targets for armchair quarterbacks.

You can go on almost any board and see the same tired arguments about playcalling. It's the fan's easiest explanation for what went wrong (without admitting that the other team may have simply outplayed their team).

What was it Knute Rockne said when he was asked why his team lost a game? "I won't know until Monday when my barber tells me."