PDA

View Full Version : Helmet to Helmet penalty

TheUnnamedSooner
1/16/2010, 09:45 PM
Has gotten out of hand. Pussification of football keeps getting worse, before long there won't be any point in fielding a defense.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2010, 09:48 PM
i guess your speaking of the ray lewis play...and I agree on this one

TahoeSOONER
1/16/2010, 09:50 PM
I think anyone that's run full speed at a WR and tried to make a hit will agree.

Sadly a game changer in the playoffs because a ref's too sensitive.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/16/2010, 09:53 PM
i guess your speaking of the ray lewis play...and I agree on this one

Yes, I'm referring to that. There are times that the penalty is warrented, but I've seen several this season that was similar to the play tonight.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/16/2010, 09:56 PM
exactly man....I saw a db a few weeks ago get burned by a wr and they starting jawing at each other...a few plays later, he led, I mean no shoulder, led with his head and tried to deliberately hurt the wr and there wasnt a flag..and then they screw up that play in the EZ against Lewis

StoopTroup
1/16/2010, 10:03 PM
I think they should just get rid of the pads and helmets.

fadada1
1/16/2010, 10:04 PM
while i agree that the "helmet to helmet" was iffy... dude left his feet and lead with his head. i would've thrown him out of the game... out of spite for killing someone. just sayin'

btw, you want to stop this nonsense - go back to leather helmets. seriously.

StoopTroup
1/16/2010, 10:05 PM
Also....allowing your long hair to be pulled by the defense should be a penalty. -15 yards from the point you allowed them to pull your hair.

47straight
1/16/2010, 10:23 PM
Maybe they should get the Big 12 refs that overlooked Sergio "DUI hardly ever driver soba!" Kindle taking out Potts this year helmet-to-helmet.

delhalew
1/16/2010, 10:43 PM
You can't get that shat called in the SEC. Ahmad Black wouldn't know what to do if he couldn't use his helmet as a weapon.

delhalew
1/16/2010, 10:44 PM
Either call it every time, OR let them kill each other out there. JUst fuggin' pick one.

TahoeSOONER
1/16/2010, 10:52 PM
Asking a defensive player not to hit someone hard with the ball is called soccer.

Sad how this game has changed over the past decade.

Eielson
1/16/2010, 10:52 PM
I think it's a nice rule to have, but rarely to call. It's obviously something we don't want people purposefully doing, but it shouldn't cost somebody 15 yards if they did it on accident. Just having it as a possible penalty would cause people to usually avoid it. Kind of like three seconds in the lane. It's almost never called, but just having the rule keeps people from camping in the lane.

gaylordfan1
1/17/2010, 02:05 AM
I'm going to start off by saying I don't always agree with the helmet to helmet calls... and agree that it is sissifying the game. But we also have to remember that this was initiated to keep the players safe. Some of these players are pretty messed up after they retire. You guys may think im joking but I actually read an article about doing away with helmets and shoulder pads all together.... saying it would decrease the incidence of injury. I guess by players not being as aggressive during hits. Sounds like rugby to me.

SCOUT
1/17/2010, 02:22 AM
I took a class called "History of Sport" while at OU and learned a bit on this subject. Boxing was used as an example of how sports evolve. The idea was that sports evolve to seem more humane, but really only make things more violent. Having gloves, versus the bare knuckle days, seems like it softens the blow. In reality, it allows someone to use the full force of their blow without injuring their hand. The same can be said for football.

The leather helmet comment might actual be safer than anything the league is doing for real.

sooner59
1/17/2010, 02:33 AM
Ray Lewis did what he had to do. He hit the guy, the ball came loose, and there was no TD. Sadly, he will be fined. My problem with this is as previously stated: the pussification of football. You know you are taking a risk by playing in the NFL, just like a Wall Street banker takes a chance on losing his *** playing the market. Football is a violent sport. It was MEANT to be that way. If the NFL keeps at it, we will be watching flag football in no time. All this roughing the QB and hitting an defenseless receiver and crap like that have me losing interest in football. I used to live football, but sadly football is dying. Vag-ball is starting to take precedence.

Eielson
1/17/2010, 02:46 AM
I took a class called "History of Sport" while at OU and learned a bit on this subject. Boxing was used as an example of how sports evolve. The idea was that sports evolve to seem more humane, but really only make things more violent. Having gloves, versus the bare knuckle days, seems like it softens the blow. In reality, it allows someone to use the full force of their blow without injuring their hand. The same can be said for football.

The leather helmet comment might actual be safer than anything the league is doing for real.

Yeah, risk of injury wouldn't be as high, but it wouldn't be the same game. Technically the safest thing to do would be to not even play the sport.

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2010, 02:49 AM
It was a good call. I like the pussification of football.

SCOUT
1/17/2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah, risk of injury wouldn't be as high, but it wouldn't be the same game. Technically the safest thing to do would be to not even play the sport.

Agreed. The risk of injury isn't as high with some of the new rules either. At some point the decision has to be made to either run the risk of injury or fundamentally change the game.

I don't know what the right answer is, but the current approach doesn't really seem to accomplish anything.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 03:42 AM
Having gloves, versus the bare knuckle days, seems like it softens the blow. In reality, it allows someone to use the full force of their blow without injuring their hand. The same can be said for football

I think the main benefit of gloves is that they help prevent cuts. With bare knuckles, too many fights will be called on account of a cut, which is a crappy way to decide a fight.

Remember the "in the grasp" rule, when there were huge debates about whether a QB should have been called down? That really sucked.

OUHOMER
1/17/2010, 10:29 AM
I think they should just get rid of the pads and helmets.

I agree, take their helmets away, that would stop anyone from leading with their head.

Blues1
1/17/2010, 11:41 AM
One Solution ~ Go Back to the Norte Dame Type Leather Helmets ~ :) - Won't happen - But you didn't see that many serious head injuries in those days...Even back in 56 and 57 some guys were playing without face masks - Or some had Only one white bar face protector ( See semi famous Clendon Thomas photo vs Norte Dame 1956)

How did they Survive...?? --- jmho - It's more the Steel face Masks today than the actual Helmet - Go back to plastic face masks...!

Keep R'