PDA

View Full Version : all decade Team

OUHOMER
1/16/2010, 08:39 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1039966

Discuss

GKeeper316
1/16/2010, 08:46 PM
i can see a case being made for all of those guys being there, honestly.

that would be one hellava team too.

delhalew
1/16/2010, 08:47 PM
I suppose just because parts of that pisses me off, that doesn't make it not true.

hgarmorer
1/17/2010, 09:45 AM
I was going to post this as well.

I can't argue with most it, sure some of it doesn't make sense (damn rose colored glasses) but overall I like the fact there is a lot of Sooners on there.

OUHOMER
1/17/2010, 10:26 AM
I was going to post this as well.

I can't argue with most it, sure some of it doesn't make sense (damn rose colored glasses) but overall I like the fact there is a lot of Sooners on there.

I thought the Sooners were represented well. But your right, my rose colored glasses would not have put tebow as the QB

DenverSooner751
1/17/2010, 11:41 AM
The only one that really gets me is USC as program of the decade.....and not only because I'm being OU bias, but because of all the news of late regarding the potential findings of the investigation by the NCAA. Kinda hard to acknolwedge a program with decade honors when they were bending and breaking rules left and right......IMHO.

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 12:28 PM
Florida has two BCS titles. It is the team of the decade, USC probation or not.

Blues1
1/17/2010, 01:40 PM
PROGRAM of DECADE USC Suc---TEAM OF THE DECADE Miami, 2001.

:) NEW Description OF THE ABOVE ~~ TWO MOST ILLEGAL PROGRAMS OF THE DECADE ~~~ :)

The Hurricanes blasted Nebraska 37-14 in the national title game, toying with the Huskers as they toyed with most of their opponents that season. Miami finished 12-0 and won its games by an average margin of 28 points per game, with three shutouts. The season's high point may have been a 58-point demolition of 12th-ranked Washington in mid-November; there also was a 22-point win at No. 14 Florida State. Sixteen players on the roster eventually became NFL first-round picks.

Talk about it in the Message Boards

Eielson
1/17/2010, 05:08 PM
Tebow shouldn't have been QB. That's ridiculous.

It's hard to think Calvin Johnson couldn't make this list, but you can't argue with Crabtree and Fitzgerald.

I'm not a big cornerback guy, but was Antoine Cason really the best one of the decade?

KantoSooner
1/17/2010, 06:12 PM
I think it says something when the choice for QB of the decade in college football is unlikely to be able to play that position in the NFL.

And what I think it says is that the choice is, to use a nice, evocative germanic root word, stupid.

the_ouskull
1/17/2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah, why on Earth would the QB who has a Heisman, and two national championships be on the all-decade team?

Look, I'm as tired as anybody of Tebow, but to call him anything less than the best COLLEGE QB of the past decade, if not one of the best of all time, is just silly.

the_ouskull

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 11:01 PM
I agree. Tim Tebow dominated at the QB position like no one from my memory. One of the best of all time, and I mean that seriously.

Could stand to hear less about him.

Eielson
1/18/2010, 01:30 AM
Yeah, why on Earth would the QB who has a Heisman, and two national championships be on the all-decade team?

Look, I'm as tired as anybody of Tebow, but to call him anything less than the best COLLEGE QB of the past decade, if not one of the best of all time, is just silly.

the_ouskull

A Heisman, and two National Championships? I really hope you have more than that, because that has been shot down so many times.

Two national championships? No, one. Do you know how many passes he threw in the "first" national championship game? One...and for one yard...which was one more yard than he threw for in the two previous games. If we cut out a 42-0 game and a 62-0 game, he threw 12 passes the entire season. Just so you know, he completed 6 of those for 77 yards. This was Chris Leak's Title. For emphasis...CHRIS LEAK! Most people have forgotten who the guy is already. That's just how much talent there was at Florida. In fact, there was probably less talent on that team Chris Leak won it on than the team Tebow won it with. Leak's team also won it more decisively (41-14).

So he did win one. Big deal. Didn't Craig Krenzel win one at Ohio State? It's about the whole team. It's not all about the quarterback. I find it odd that we want to anoint this guy as one of the all-time greats simply for being on winning teams when he never was even on an undefeated team. We put him a notch below Krenzel in this respect. Yay.

As for the Heisman...he stole that from Darren McFadden.

Here is where we get to the real fun. You want to crown Tebow as one of the all-time greats because he won two championships (it was really just one, but whatever) and a Heisman? This sounds an awful lot like Matt Leinart to me...except Leinart had a more legit argument for two national championships. Shoot, he would have won three if it weren't for a man we will name later. So on one hand we have a guy that was three points away from winning three straight (35 games) championships, and on the other hand you have a guy who was a whole season away from winning two. I like the first one better, don't you?

There is also another guy who fits a similar criteria I'd like to tell you about. This guy didn't win a Heisman (stolen by Reggie Bush), but he did win a National Championship. And I mean HE won this game. Basically he put on a one man show in the title game. He was the team's running game, and their passing game. His team didn't play much defense, so he was basically the team's defense by keeping the ball away from them. This guy's name is Vince Young by the way. That may have been the best game (for a single player) in the history of college football.

Another guy you may be familiar with won a Heisman a couple years ago. His name was Sam Bradford. He played his freshman and sophomore years, and one game in his junior year. That's all it took for him to basically match all of Tebow's passing stats.

There are several others I'd also list above him, but I'm going to bed soon. Tebow would probably make my top 10 list, though.

Leroy Lizard
1/18/2010, 02:21 AM
There is also another guy who fits a similar criteria I'd like to tell you about. This guy didn't win a Heisman (stolen by Reggie Bush), but he did win a National Championship. And I mean HE won this game. Basically he put on a one man show in the title game. He was the team's running game, and their passing game. His team didn't play much defense, so he was basically the team's defense by keeping the ball away from them. This guy's name is Vince Young by the way. That may have been the best game (for a single player) in the history of college football.

We are talking about the player of the decade, and you bring up a player that had an outstanding game. I don't see how this player is even relevant to the discussion.

I watched my Sooners take on Tebow, and I came away mighty impressed. Although he started out shakey, he hurt us real bad.

Hell, he broke Herschel Walker's SEC rushing touchdown total... as a QB!

If someone ever told me that a player would break Walker's SEC record as a QB, I would have figured he would be an option QB who couldn't throw for his life. But I think he has as many passing TDs as rushing TDs.

He is the best player I have ever seen my Sooners play other than a certain OSU running back in 1988. And yes, it pains me to admit it because he helped Florida beat us and I'm tired of hearing about him. But I think he and Matt Lienart are easily the players of the decade. Vince Young? Not even close.

Eielson
1/18/2010, 01:31 PM
We are talking about the player of the decade, and you bring up a player that had an outstanding game. I don't see how this player is even relevant to the discussion.

You really think Vince Young only had one good game?

He is the best player I have ever seen my Sooners play other than a certain OSU running back in 1988.

You have got to be kidding me. That is the best performance anybody outside of Barry Sanders has ever had against Oklahoma? Tebow wasn't even the best offensive player that game. Harvin is the one that hurt us. Their offense isn't what beat us, though. It was their defense. Florida scored 24 points against us. How could the second best all-time performance ever against us possibly have come from that?

I think the funniest part about this was that I countered his claim with three different guys who I felt were hands down better than him. He somewhat attacked one of them. Calling Vince Young a one game player is a joke, but at least he tried. Even so, that was only one guy.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:41 PM
Tebow had a better college career = fact

2 rings, Heisman

(he was a huge contributor as a freshman.)

Eielson
1/18/2010, 01:43 PM
Tebow had a better college career = fact

2 rings, Heisman

If Tebow gets credit for winning two rings then Nate Hybl gets credit for winning a ring in 2000.

Eielson
1/18/2010, 01:44 PM
(he was a huge contributor as a freshman.)

Bullsh*t.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 01:45 PM
Lionharp hurt OU worse than Tebow.

Hell...Jared Zabransky had better stats against us in the Boise loss.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:46 PM
Chris Leak hates you all

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:47 PM
did u not watch Tebows fr year? how many 3rd and shorts, and 4th and shorts, he would come in on ?

maybe "huge" was a lil much

but def contributed to that team winning.

Eielson
1/18/2010, 01:50 PM
did u not watch Tebows fr year? how many 3rd and shorts, and 4th and shorts, he would come in on ?.

So what, was he like the fullback or something? He threw 1 pass for 1 yard in the national championship game and they still won 41-14.

So in conclusion, Tim Tebow won ONE national championship.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:51 PM
Chris Leak is weeping now

Eielson
Lionharp hurt OU worse than Tebow.

This might be a contender for understatement of the decade. :P

stoops the eternal pimp
What TT did his sophmore season though is the most impressive season I've ever seen from a QB

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:52 PM
bull ****, read what Tebow did in games that matter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Florida_Gators_football_team

Eielson
Chris Leak is weeping now

He's probably excited that at least SOMEBODY still remembers his name.

stoops the eternal pimp
Chris Leak is standing on a ledge now

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 01:54 PM
This might be a contender for understatement of the decade. :P

Just saying if tebow beating us makes him QB of the Decade...then ML must have gotten overlooked. tebow is gonna get that honor for for being tebow. It's more about that than his performance in the decade.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:54 PM
I'll change my mind again

Florida does not to go to the national title without Tebow in 2006

Eielson
1/18/2010, 01:56 PM
bull ****, read what Tebow did in games that matter

So what you're saying is that he was basically the fullback? Hooray! He just upgraded himself from Nate Hybl to Seth Littrell!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 01:57 PM
RIP Chris Leak

StoopTroup
We wouldn't have gone without Sam

JLEW1818
he had the game winning touchdown in a point victory...... (Florida- South Carolina)

he had a td against Auburn, Florida won by 10

Leak again rallied the team, but it was freshman Tim Tebow who made a huge play when he converted a crucial fourth down inside Tennessee territory. (Florida won by 1 point)

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 01:59 PM
he had the game winning touchdown in a point victory...... (Florida- South Carolina)

he had a td against Auburn, Florida won by 10

Leak again rallied the team, but it was freshman Tim Tebow who made a huge play when he converted a crucial fourth down inside Tennessee territory. (Florida won by 1 point)

Wasn't he really more a a Wildcat back than a QB then?

Eielson
He doesn't have the team success of Matt Leinart.

He doesn't have the performances of Vince Young.

He doesn't have the statistics of Sam Bradford.

And he sure as hell doesn't have the poise of Jacory Harris.

JLEW1818
Wasn't he really more a a Wildcat back than a QB then?

yes, and Florida needed him to win certain games.. (2006)

that's all I'm saying, he did contribute to that National Title

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 02:00 PM
He doesn't have the team success of Matt Leinart.

He doesn't have the performances of Vince Young.

He doesn't have the statistics of Sam Bradford.

And he sure as hell doesn't have the poise of Jacory Harris.

Only QB with 20+ Rushing TDs, and 20+ passing TDs

Eielson
1/18/2010, 02:00 PM
he did contribute to that National Title

Yeah, and so did the fullback.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 02:02 PM
they probably would not have won the national title without Tebow (2006)

sure they probably would have beat Ohio State without

Eielson
1/18/2010, 02:05 PM
Give me a reason not to think of Tebow as a poor man's Matt Leinart.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 02:06 PM
my top 3 qbs of the decade would be

1) Tim Tebow
2) Vincent Young
3) Matt Leinhart

and urs?

Eielson
1/18/2010, 02:08 PM
my top 3 qbs of the decade would be

1) Tim Tebow
2) Vincent Young
3) Matt Leinhart

and urs?

In case I haven't made it clear already...Leinart, Young, and Bradford. Any order.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 02:11 PM
what bout Colt McCoy he has the most wins of all time..... :D

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 02:11 PM
I'll say this...tebow was unique.

Not a pocket passer. Great dual threat. Greatest show on Earth? Sam's numbers were amazing IMO and it wasn't against a bunch of slacker teams either. Can one year make you the QB of the decade? Probably not.

If it goes to tebow...fine....but he's not the best of all time and definitely not the NFL's next Michael Jordan.

I'm chiming in as tebow has enough wins and is a likable guy...it gives him the edge...especially if you can pull off crying when you lose on National TV. One booger though...and Lienhardtedly would have took the honors....lol

Eielson
1/18/2010, 02:22 PM
what bout Colt McCoy he has the most wins of all time..... :D

I'd put him above Tebow.

starclassic tama
1/19/2010, 12:46 AM
Only QB with 20+ Rushing TDs, and 20+ passing TDs

what's more impressive, tebow had 32 passing TD's that year. 32 passing TD's and 23 rushing TD's is just sick, regardless of what Eielson says.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 12:54 AM
yup that is a barry bonds type stat

only player with 500+ homeruns, 500+ steals

and nobody else is even 400 400

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 01:05 AM
Keep in mind that Tommie Frazier had 36 rushing TDs and 47 passing TDs in his career, spanning three years. For Tebow to rush for 23 rushing TDs while passing for 32 in a single season is incredible.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 01:06 AM
In case I haven't made it clear already...Leinart, Young, and Bradford. Any order.

Young doesn't belong on this list. Tebow >> Young

Eielson
1/19/2010, 01:53 AM
For those getting a hard-on over rushing touchdowns...he's basically doing what most offenses use their fullback for.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=273142579

He ran for five touchdowns this game. You want to know why I'm not impressed? Two five yard runs, a three yard run, a two yard run, and a one yard run. He's a quarterback and a short yardage back all in one! Yay! Most teams just have a separate quarterback and short yardage back, though.

I just quickly checked all his touchdown runs from his sophomore season. I'm even less impressed than I thought I would be. Out of his 23 touchdowns, 17 were five yards or less, 4 were 5-10 yards, one was 16 yards, and the last was 23 yards. Just for giggles, Cam Newton had a 24 yarder.

Eielson
1/19/2010, 01:53 AM
Young doesn't belong on this list. Tebow >> Young

Once again, attacking one guy...and not very well at that.

Eielson
1/19/2010, 02:09 AM
I think he comes in at about 9th behind these guys (not in this order):

Sam Bradford
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
Jason White
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Philip Rivers

I may think of more, though.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 02:13 AM
He ran for five touchdowns this game. You want to know why I'm not impressed? Two five yard runs, a three yard run, a two yard run, and a one yard run. He's a quarterback and a short yardage back all in one! Yay! Most teams just have a separate quarterback and short yardage back, though.

I just quickly checked all his touchdown runs from his sophomore season. I'm even less impressed than I thought I would be. Out of his 23 touchdowns, 17 were five yards or less, 4 were 5-10 yards, one was 16 yards, and the last was 23 yards. Just for giggles, Cam Newton had a 24 yarder.

Yeah, because we know how easy it is to score when on the five-yard line.

If OU had been able to do it, we would have won the national title in 2008. Did you forget that?

BTW, Tebow rushed for just shy of 3000 yards in his career (more than Jamelle Holieway btw), averaging 4.25 yards per carry. That is comparable to many RBs, but RBs don't lose yards on sacks.

And he wasn't even an option QB. That is what I find mind-boggling.

And while we may scoff at his behavior, there is little doubt about his leadership skills.

Once again, attacking one guy...and not very well at that.

This is an all-DECADE team. If you were compiling a list of all-GAME team members, Young would belong. But he only had one real good season at UT. Tebow was better over a longer period of time.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 02:20 AM

Sam Bradford
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
Jason White
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Philip Rivers

Let me get this straight: A player that won the Heisman trophy in one year, led the first-place votes in the Heisman trophy the next year, broke Herschel Walker's SEC TD record, finishes behind Chase Daniel?

At this point, I won't be able to understand your logic until I start smoking what you're smoking. What next? Les Claypool doesn't really know how to play the bass? Richard Feynman didn't really know how to solve physics problems?

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 02:42 AM
:pop:

MI Sooner
1/19/2010, 12:35 PM
If you get the goal line carries, you get the TDs. Granted Tebow was an above average goal line runner, in part because the offense had to still respect the threat of a pass. When other teams put in an RB or WR as their wildcat QB, the pass is more of a trick play.

But seriously, giving a guy a lot of credit for a bunch of two yards TD runs seems like a little bit of a strectch. Honestly, I think one of Tebow's biggest strengths was his ability to run that offense and not get hurt. There are a lot of QBs that would be good at running that type of offense in short yardage, until they get blown up and have to miss a bunch of time for injury. Tebow only missed one start right, and that was from a hit on a pocket passing play.

FWIW, I rank them:

Young
Leinart
Tebow

Bradford, Crouch, Dorsey, White, and maybe some others I'm forgettting would follow.

One thing that Sam never did, at least that I recall, was make a bunch of big plays late in a close game to secure the win. I'd have to look back at the Mizzou games, the game against Iowa St. in 2007, and OSU in 2008 to see if my memory is correct. Granted, you shouldn't penalize someone for kicking the crap out of their opponents, but we lost 5 games (IIR) that he finished, and he had opportunities against Florida and Texas in 2008 and Colorado in 2007 to win us those games.

White and Heupel carried us to victory in a couple games.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 12:42 PM
i still will never blame him for the texas game... the dude threw 5tds and we lost by 10 ? LOL

I'd love to see the last time that happened...

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 12:52 PM
But seriously, giving a guy a lot of credit for a bunch of two yards TD runs seems like a little bit of a strectch

This past year was probably his down year. Yet he rushed for over 900 yards. So it isn't just a bunch of short TDs. Again, he rushed for nearly 3000 yards in his career. As a QB. That's more than Holieway.

He finished as a Heisman finalist for three straight years. Has anyone ever done that before?

I realize that many of us are tired of the hype, but give him his due.

goingoneight
1/19/2010, 01:03 PM
Matt Cassell must have won a National Championship in January 2005, I guess. You know... coming in sparingly and all.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 01:06 PM
This past year was probably his down year. Yet he rushed for over 900 yards. So it isn't just a bunch of short TDs. Again, he rushed for nearly 3000 yards in his career. As a QB. That's more than Holieway.

He finished as a Heisman finalist for three straight years. Has anyone ever done that before?

I don't care about his hype... but for people to not recognize his success... just flat out haters.

he had a better college career than Vince, Sam, Colt, Matt

IN A BETTER CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

hey how bout this? every year that Tim Tebow played in college, somebody in his conference won the national title.

StoopTroup
1/19/2010, 01:08 PM

Don't think anyone isn't giving tebow his due here....they are saying that he isn't the God that some think he was. He was unique and made defenses change the way they had to play phlorida. Being unique like that in College is one thing. Being durable like that in College is one thing. Pulling it off in the NFL? He won't last as long as Vick or Young and had better get someone to help him take his passing game to the next level. There are going to be a mixed bag of NFL Teams that think they can or can't work with what he brings to the NFL.

tebow deserves to be in the top five of the all-decade team.

I really thought most everyone expressed that.

You can read. I've seen proof.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 01:09 PM
Don't think anyone isn't giving tebow his due here....they are saying that he isn't the God that some think he was. He was unique and made defenses change the way they had to play phlorida. Being unique like that in College is one thing. Being durable like that in College is one thing. Pulling it off in the NFL? He won't last as long as Vick or Young and had better get someone to help him take his passing game to the next level. There are going to be a mixed bag of NFL Teams that think they can or can't work with what he brings to the NFL.

no, Eilson, is saying that Chase Daniel was a better player .......

Tebow will also be more productive at the next level.... LOL at Chase Daniel

goingoneight
1/19/2010, 01:12 PM
If you get the goal line carries, you get the TDs. Granted Tebow was an above average goal line runner, in part because the offense had to still respect the threat of a pass. When other teams put in an RB or WR as their wildcat QB, the pass is more of a trick play.

But seriously, giving a guy a lot of credit for a bunch of two yards TD runs seems like a little bit of a strectch. Honestly, I think one of Tebow's biggest strengths was his ability to run that offense and not get hurt. There are a lot of QBs that would be good at running that type of offense in short yardage, until they get blown up and have to miss a bunch of time for injury. Tebow only missed one start right, and that was from a hit on a pocket passing play.

FWIW, I rank them:

Young
Leinart
Tebow

Bradford, Crouch, Dorsey, White, and maybe some others I'm forgettting would follow.

One thing that Sam never did, at least that I recall, was make a bunch of big plays late in a close game to secure the win. I'd have to look back at the Mizzou games, the game against Iowa St. in 2007, and OSU in 2008 to see if my memory is correct. Granted, you shouldn't penalize someone for kicking the crap out of their opponents, but we lost 5 games (IIR) that he finished, and he had opportunities against Florida and Texas in 2008 and Colorado in 2007 to win us those games.

White and Heupel carried us to victory in a couple games.

I'd like to point out that Juaqin Iglesias, despite a decorated career at Oklahoma, cost Sam his final oppurtunities against Florida and Colorado. The two "interceptions" in BOTH games were perfectly-thrown passes that bounced off a normally sure-handed guy's paws and into the belly of the defenders.

As for Texas, see: jlew's post. 5 TDs is hardly the thing to pick on a guy for in a loss. And where did Heupel carry us in 2000 that our defense didn't carry a much greater load? Love the guy, but facts are facts. Neither 2007 nor 2008 saw a defense that could get out there and stop somebody when it needed to be done the way the 2000 team did it EVERY SINGLE GAME.

I'm pretty sure if you told me in January 2008 that we'd give up 41 points to OSU in Stilwater, I'd call Bed-lame a loss. Yet, I remember a Heisman trophy winner that kept scoring and moving the chains despite the fact that we couldn't stop Dez Bryant to save our lives. I guess throwing your body way up in the air against defenders doesn't count as being tough enough unless you win a National Championship.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 01:26 PM
Reggie Smith, Colorado... lol

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 01:46 PM

Apparently, you can't because I was responding directly to a poster that had him ranked below Chase Daniel.

Being durable like that in College is one thing. Pulling it off in the NFL? He won't last as long as Vick or Young and had better get someone to help him take his passing game to the next level.

I fail to see the relevance to the NFL in this thread. Who cares about Tebow's NFL success?

As for durability, nothing I have seen tells me he isn't durable enough to run and pass in the NFL. He's 6'3", 240 lb. He's as big as some linebackers, and certainly bigger than most safeties and cornerbacks.

sooneron
1/19/2010, 02:11 PM

Sam Bradford
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
Jason White
Colt McCoy
Chase Daniel
Pat White
Philip Rivers

Sorry, but this is high comedy. I can't stand the Timessiah as much as the next guy, but he EASILY belongs in the top 3.

My Five (in no particular order)
Tebow
Leinart
Sam
JW (mostly for toughness)
Kolt (mostly for toughness)

I have trouble putting Radio in my top ten, because he only beat his rival once and he looked abyssmal in the two losses. Yeah, I know he backed up Mock, but he only had one VERY good season that would put him in elite status.

Eielson
1/19/2010, 06:20 PM
This is an all-DECADE team. If you were compiling a list of all-GAME team members, Young would belong. But he only had one real good season at UT. Tebow was better over a longer period of time.

Once again, missing the point. You attacked ONE person. Are you conceding all the others are better?

Eielson
1/19/2010, 06:39 PM
Let me get this straight: A player that won the Heisman trophy in one year, led the first-place votes in the Heisman trophy the next year, broke Herschel Walker's SEC TD record, finishes behind Chase Daniel?

Once again, I don't care if your quarterback can double as a fullback. If you really think that Tebow is anywhere near the runner that Herschel Walker was then you are dumber than I think you are...and that's saying a lot.

As for the booger-eater, he threw for over 4300 yards in back to back seasons with over 70% accuracy. Tebow barely even got over 3000 yards once. Just so you guys know, that one year Daniel didn't throw for 4300+ yards, he threw for 3527 yards....almost three hundred yards more than Tebow ever threw in a season. To review: Daniel's lowest yardage season>Tebow's highest yardage season. That's all fine and well if he has the running ability of a Pat White or a Vince Young. Obviously, he doesn't.

Since Tebow's argument is basically about team success, I thought I'd point this out. Chase Daniel brought Missouri up to a whole new level. He brought them up from where they were before he got there, and they fell back down the year he left. Tebow on the other hand, was part of bringing the Florida program DOWN. They got worse, the next year he brought them back up to where they were when he took over, and then back down again.

So what is it that makes Tebow above the rest? He's obviously nowhere near the best passer. He's also nowhere near the best runner. It's nice and all that he can run for 4 yards a carry. However, it doesn't make much sense that Tebow is running it when Harvin averaged 9.2, 9.4, and 10.4 yards per carry. Look up those stats on Harvin if you don't believe me. Jeffery Demps on the other hand averaged 7.8 and 7.5 yards per carry.

So basically everybody agrees that Tebow is nowhere near the best passer. Statistics show he's about half as efficient running the ball as the real runningbacks. I've stated my case. Somebody state yours. Just so you know, "Vince Young only had one good game" and "What a joke" are not valid reasons for crowning Tebow as an all-time great quarterback.

starclassic tama
1/19/2010, 07:20 PM
when the game's on the line and it's 3rd and 4, give me tebow any day of the week. same goes for bradford and heupel too...

GKeeper316
1/19/2010, 07:25 PM
If Tebow gets credit for winning two rings then Nate Hybl gets credit for winning a ring in 2000.

have you ever participated in a team sport?

back-ups play as important a role as starters. who do you think prepares the starters for game day?

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 07:26 PM
have you ever participated in a team sport?

back-ups play as important a role as starters. who do you think prepares the starters for game day?

yep, just go back and look at how significant tebow was in 2006 for the gators..

Ctrl F : Tebow

Eielson
1/19/2010, 07:42 PM
back-ups play as important a role as starters.

I hope you don't really believe that. I know that this is likely what your coaches told you all your life to motivate you, but it's just not true.

DenverSooner751
1/19/2010, 09:12 PM
Florida has two BCS titles. It is the team of the decade, USC probation or not.

LSU also has two BCS titles....and?

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 09:17 PM
USC is the program of the decade

Breadburner
1/19/2010, 09:30 PM
Lol Chase Daniels...I was at a family dinner and looked over at my 2 year old niece and she had her finger up her nose pulled it right out and stuck it in her mouth...I asked her mother if there was any chance Chase Daniels was the father.....

sooneron
1/19/2010, 09:32 PM
I could only go back as far as 2002, but UFla had 3- 5 loss seasons this decade. They locked it down from 06 on, but I think being a game or two over 500 three times gets you out of the conversation. Even if it is in the almighty sec.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 10:11 PM
Once again, I don't care if your quarterback can double as a fullback. If you really think that Tebow is anywhere near the runner that Herschel Walker was then you are dumber than I think you are...and that's saying a lot.

I never said that. The fact that he broke Herschel Walker's record puts Tebow's TD rushing total in perspective. 57 rushing touchdowns is a lot.

The SEC has been around for 78 years, and in that time no one has scored 57 rushing TDs except Tebow. No one can look at that stat and not be impressed. Well, no one that has a brain cell in their head.

As for the booger-eater, he threw for over 4300 yards in back to back seasons with over 70% accuracy. Tebow barely even got over 3000 yards once. Just so you guys know, that one year Daniel didn't throw for 4300+ yards, he threw for 3527 yards....almost three hundred yards more than Tebow ever threw in a season. To review: Daniel's lowest yardage season>Tebow's highest yardage season. That's all fine and well if he has the running ability of a Pat White or a Vince Young. Obviously, he doesn't.

The objective of the QB is to RUN THE OFFENSE. Tebow ran his offense better than anyone I have seen in a long time because he could run and pass very effectively. THAT is why he was a Heisman finalist for three straight years.

They don't give the Heisman to just anybody, especially if the player is a sophomore. The first sophomore in the entire history of college football to win a Heisman? And then he follows it up with a near-miss on the Heisman trophy the next year and a Heisman finalist the following year.

Holieway was a great QB because he ran the wishbone to near perfection. He was a great decision-maker. The coach had full confidence that whatever play was called, Holieway would almost always run it exactly as it was supposed to be run.

Tebow was true field general who rarely made mistakes and had the physical abilities to see the job through. He was a fantastic player, and I fail to see how anyone other than bloomin' idiot like yourself can suggest otherwise.

Why do I think he's worthy? Because on the night we faced him there were a million other QBs I would rather have faced.

DenverSooner751
1/19/2010, 10:11 PM
I could only go back as far as 2002, but UFla had 3- 5 loss seasons this decade. They locked it down from 06 on, but I think being a game or two over 500 three times gets you out of the conversation. Even if it is in the almighty sec.

Truth.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 10:12 PM
LSU also has two BCS titles....and?

Yeah, LSU would be a serious contender too.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 10:14 PM
Once again, missing the point. You attacked ONE person. Are you conceding all the others are better?

No, and you should have figured that out for yourself considering I had Tebow placed #1.

I pointed out Chase Daniel because it was the one example that most easily showed the results of heavy drug use on your part.

DenverSooner751
1/19/2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah, LSU would be a serious contender too.

No.

MI Sooner
1/19/2010, 10:33 PM
Going back to my earlier post, I'm not saying Bradford played badly in our losses, just that he didn't march the team to victory, unlike Heupel and White. He also played well in big games we won, like TTU and OSU in 2008. Maybe he was just a victim of circumstance. But the fact remains, that at the end of most of our losses, we had a chance to mount a late comeback, and we didn't. See White @Colorado, @aTm, and even v. Texas in 2002. See Heupel in the 2000 Big XII Championship (after 3 INTs) and @aTm (after a poor game.

Anyway, back to Tebow. If you get almost 100% of the goal line carries for a team that scores a lot of points, you'd better get a lot of TDs. If DeMarco or Chris Brown had been our exclusive GL back over the last couple years, they'd have a ton of friggin TDs. They're both good backs. But Matt Clapp would too, and he's not a great RB.

I actually think Tebow is an underrated passer, an overrated leader (if he can will his team to victory, why did they lose a bunch of games in 2007?), and a very good runner. I may not want anyone else in short yardage. However, no way in hell do I want him on 3rd and long.

I watched more Vince Young than I did Tebow, I'll admit. But Young's performances against Michigan and USC were trancendant, and Tebow's two terrible picks against us and his handoffs to Harvin don't in any way compare. Neither does his TD against South Carolina in close 2006 game, or his wildcat QB play in the national title game that season. That said, he's a unique talent in a system that's perfectly suited for him. Then again, I said "unique," and I'm not sure I'd even take him as a college QB over Alex Smith (although I grant that he accomplished more). To clarify, if I were a college coach, and had to pick a startng QB for a season, and my choices were 2009 Tebow or 2004 Smith, I honestly don't know that I pick Tebow.

JLEW1818
1/19/2010, 10:34 PM
1) USC
2) OU
3) UT
4) LSU
5) Florida
6) Ohio St

Eielson
1/19/2010, 10:59 PM
He was a fantastic player, and I fail to see how anyone other than bloomin' idiot like yourself can suggest otherwise.

I did put him as my #9 quarterback of the decade...

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 11:00 PM
Anyway, back to Tebow. If you get almost 100% of the goal line carries for a team that scores a lot of points, you'd better get a lot of TDs.

The reason the OC called his number so many times was because he was so good at bulldozing his way into the endzone. His large number of goal-line carries wasn't happenstance.

This is such a silly argument. According to your logic, we shouldn't give so much credit to Bradford because he was allowed to throw it so many times. But gee, maybe he was allowed to throw it so many times because he was so freakin' good?

I actually think Tebow is an underrated passer, an overrated leader (if he can will his team to victory, why did they lose a bunch of games in 2007?), and a very good runner. I may not want anyone else in short yardage. However, no way in hell do I want him on 3rd and long.

Sure, if you dislocate his shoulder so that he can't throw it. But he was dual threat, which meant third-and-long was no gimme for the defense.

I watched more Vince Young than I did Tebow, I'll admit. But Young's performances against Michigan and USC were trancendant, and Tebow's two terrible picks against us and his handoffs to Harvin don't in any way compare.

You're cherry picking. What did Tebow do to Cinncinnatti?

And didn't he rush for over 100 yards against us?

And he passed for 231 yards, only about 20 yards fewer than Bradford.

But to you, rushing for over 100 yards as a QB is no big deal.

Eielson
1/19/2010, 11:06 PM
The reason the OC called his number so many times was because he was so good at bulldozing his way into the endzone. His large number of goal-line carries wasn't happenstance.

Okay, we get it. He's a good goal-line back. That doesn't make him better than Herschel Walker.

Leroy Lizard
1/19/2010, 11:31 PM
Okay, we get it. He's a good goal-line back. That doesn't make him better than Herschel Walker.

When you come out of your stupor, look at my previous post where I specifically pointed out that I used Herschel Walker's stats for perspective.

Let me dumb that down a little more for you: I never said he was better than Herschel Walker at running the ball.

He rushed for over 100 yards against us last year. I suppose all that yardage was on the goal line.

Eielson
1/19/2010, 11:48 PM
Like I previously stated, Florida was better running the ball with it in the hands of Percy Harvin and Jeffrey Demps.

OK2LA
1/20/2010, 12:09 AM
1) USC
2) OU
3) UT
4) LSU
5) Florida
6) Ohio St

Where's Boise?

Leroy Lizard
1/20/2010, 12:10 AM
Like I previously stated, Florida was better running the ball with it in the hands of Percy Harvin and Jeffrey Demps.

Using your logic, why did Tebow carry the ball at all? Why not just give Harvin the ball on every play?

I hate to break this to you, but Jamelle Holieway was not the home run threat of Patrick Collins. That doesn't mean he wasn't a great QB. Hell, Tommie Frazier had Ahman Green in the backfield, so I guess he sucked at running the ball too.

Remember Jack Mildren? He had Greg Pruitt in the backfield, and Pruitt averaged a kajlillion yards per play. I guess that means Mildren wasn't that great a QB and should have never rushed the ball.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 01:16 AM
Where's Boise?

9-10th

retnuH03
1/20/2010, 02:04 AM
For people who are sick of hearing about Tim Tebow you sure do a lot of talking about him.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 02:07 AM
i don't care for him

but to lie about where he ranks?

i mean just another random fact. what qb in college football history played in the national title or played against the national title winner, at some point in that season ... all 4 years

Leroy Lizard
1/20/2010, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure it's lying if your opinions are the result of delusions, jlew.

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 02:14 AM
what u smoking

Collier11
1/20/2010, 02:38 AM
Tebow had the best career for a QB since Tommie Frazier and his numbers were far and away better than Fraziers. The only other QB that is close is Matt Leinart.

Sure if you take out championships then JW, Peyton Manning, SB, Colt and diff guys like that could be in there but overall, all things considered, Tebow is the best all around QB in over a decade

JLEW1818
1/20/2010, 02:40 AM
basically

MI Sooner
1/24/2010, 02:43 PM
Using your logic, why did Tebow carry the ball at all? Why not just give Harvin the ball on every play?

Because he's a bigger threat to throw than the RBs, thus keeping the defense off balance. Also, he's very effective on short yardage. As a short yardage back, he's better than any QB I can think of. He's worse than many college RBs, but better than some.

As a scrambler, QB draw, or spread option runner outside of short yardage, he's still good, but not even close to the league of VY, Vick, Pat White.

And as for your comments about having to take away credit from Sam for his TDs because he got to throw so much, that's true to some extent. However, didn't our RBs have 25+ rushing TDs in 2008? I seem to recall that we usually ran the ball inside the 2 (using RBs). If Bradford had gotten a bunch of QB runs called his way, he probably would have racked up a bunch of TDs, just not as many as Tebow, since Tebow is better. Also, he probably would have gotten injured eventually.

Basically, I think you need to control for everything besides the player, to the extent you can, when evaluating who the better player is. So imagine, if you can, what someone else would do with that coach, system, talent, competition... If a coach can plug tons of different guys into system and make it work (Leach, B. Kelley, others), then maybe it's the coach/system, not the guy. If Urban Meyer can plug in guys at BGSU, Utah, and Florida, and they all look like Heisman candidates, maybe there's something to the system that's a large factor.

And to answer your question before you ask it, yes, to some extent, Bradford was a system QB. I don't think he'd thrive in Florida's system, but I think he'd be good in OU's, a pro-style, west-coast, etc. Tebow is great in his system, and would likely be at least good in OU's system.

I'm also not saying that you can't be the best ever just because you're only good in certain systems. Just that, if you can plug ten other guys into that offense, and they'd do just as well as you, then maybe it's the system, not you.

Leroy Lizard
1/24/2010, 03:17 PM
I think you took some of my sarcastic comments seriously. For one, I am not in favor of taking away credit from Sam. I was taking another poster's argument to its logical conclusion to prove a point. But the fact that Sam handed off to his RBs and Tebow took it into the end zone himself is due to Tebow's ability to score in the red zone. I would rather face any QB in the country other than Tebow when defending the red zone.

Stoops has plugged in QB after QB with outstanding results nearly every time, so if anything our own QBs would be relegated to "system QBs" if anyone is. Regardless of the system, a QB's job is to run the offense and IMO Tebow ran the Gator offense as well as any other QB in the country. I don't care if he has a weak arm or is slow. If his job is to make the offense work, that's what matters.

Remember Jamelle Holieway? He wasn't such a great passer and he wasn't particularly fast. But he ran the wishbone offense to high success. The same can apply to many of our QBs, especially Jack Mildren and Steve Davis. Both had good speed and could throw it okay, but most importantly they were true field generals.

Some players just have what it takes. We found out the hard way that Tebow does. And anyone that denies it should rewatch the tape of our national championship game. Glad he's gone.