PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Misery Recap

Sooner04
1/16/2010, 06:58 PM
I walked to my truck perplexed. I dined on free Raising Cane's in a state of bewilderment. The overpriced yogurt at Passionberri did little to settle my rollicking brain waves. You could describe me as slack-jawed while I waited for my wife to buy a pair of half-priced shoes at Dillard's. Even the 70 minute drive home did not move my cranium any closer to answering the question that's been rolling in my head since a little after two o'clock this afternoon; how in the hell did we win today?

Missouri starts the game on a 10-0 run.
We play at least ten minutes before we have as many field goal attempts as turnovers.
Crocker gets hurt before most find their seats.
Keith Gallon plays as his nickname would indicate: tiny.
Our two lead guards combined to turn the ball over an OU women-like 12 times.
Loose balls were on radar lock back to Missouri hands.
Ryan Wright was needed for 27 minutes.
Only five guys scored.

AND WE WON! You serious, Clark? I'm serious, Eddie, and I couldn't be more shocked if I woke up tomorrow with my head stapled to the carpet.

I'm stunned. Bamboozled. Hoodwinked. As all of you know from reading these attempts at writing over the years I'm no defensive guru. I don't know a 1-2-2 zone from a 2-1-2 or anything else. I deal in appearances, and it seemed like we had to work had for everything we did on offense while Misery could go where they pleased for large stretches of the game. I don't know if our defense made them antsy or not, but it seemed like whenever they made the extra pass a wide open shot would appear. Maybe that's Anderson's system, but all I know is that he kept throwing waves of bodies at us and the five guy who showed up today (I'm not including Gallon in that list) kept turning them back and fighting them off. It was a heroic effort.

For the longest time we couldn't get past them. We'd get right there to down one or two and they'd bump it up to five. I certainly never felt confident. I always thought we were teetering right there on the edge, and a Wile E. Coyote-esque plunge to our death awaited at the next lazy pass or poor shot. But Misery never landed the knockout blow. We finally got a lead at 36-34, but were back down 46-40 within seven minutes. There was 9:41 left in the game by then, but that adversity finally woke us up. We went on a 19-7 run over the next 6 1/2 minutes with great passing filling up our stat sheet. After that we proved we learned from our mistakes in trying to close out the Aggroids: six free throws (two by Pledger, four by Willie), and all found the bottom of the next. Wright missed one with a couple of seconds left, but by then the outcome was decided. 66-61, and home court was once again defended.

I just don't know how.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 9 [That poor yak behind the GLC. He hasn't kept down a meal in days.]
2nd - 18
3rd - 13 [not better]
4th - 26 [HALLELUJAH, HOLY ****! Where's the Tylenol?]

[b]LEADING SCORERS:
21 - Willie Warren [atta kid]
15 - Cade Davis [monster effort amongst the trees]
12 - Ryan Wright
10 - Steven Pledger

[b]LEADING REBOUNDERS:
11 - Cade Davis [WOW!]
8 - Ryan Wright
7 - Keith Gallon
5 - Steven Pledger [surprisingly decent rebounder]

PLUSES:
1. Cade Davis: If you took a team full of guys who were as cerebral as Cade is out there it'd look like some of those vintage Celtics teams. Overstatement central, 04! Yes, I know, but when our offense looked as though it had no clue how to penetrate the Misery defenses it was Cade who harkened back to his Geometry classes and used the angles to attack. Numerous times he would seal his man and find lanes to the glass. He even did it on an under-the-basket inbounds play. He took it to the rack time and time again. When Mrs. 04 leans over and asks, "Is it me, or is Cade the smartest guy on the team?" you KNOW the guy is carving them up out there. 15 and 11 for Cade out there today, and we get SMOKED without it. But no assists and four turnovers? Yeah, I don't care.

2. Willie Warren: Eight trips to the line, eight makes. We saw Willie early on looking like his usual lackadaisacal self, but he too finally figured out that we'd have to go to the rim to have any chance. But he also saved our bacon early on by hitting back-to-back treys when we found ourselves down 27-19 in the first half. Those shots kept us in reach, and then the late free throws kept their reach away.

3. Ryan Wright: Far and away his best game as a Sooner. 12 points and eight rebounds with some emphatic dunks after great passes from TMG and Willie. He's no longer leading in the clubhouse for the Longar Longar Hands of Stone Award. He played really tough out there today.

4. Steven Pledger: Good luck out there against Missouri, kid. Baptisms by Mizzou are tough on freshmen, just ask TMG about the seven turnovers he had today, but Pledger played a solid game. He scored ten points and grabbed five rebounds while not turning the ball over once. He could've gone meekly into the night, but he was assertive and WANTED to take shots. Hope to see more of him soon.

5. The Sooner Showmen: I've been down on all the bands for some time, but they played Can't Turn You Loose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnG0JjzF7HY) during one of the timeouts. I've only been yearning to hear it for about ten years now. The smile on my face stretched from Slaughterville to Little Axe.

6. The Crowd: It's not 12,000+ going bananas, but it's been back-to-back games of 10,000 or so being very involved. We've had bigger crowds, but I'll take the interest of these last two over just about anybody. When we needed a stop or a boost to our psyche, they more than obliged. That's really all anybody can ask. Good job, crowd.

7. Free Throws: 14 of 17. Yep yep!

MINUSES:
1. Keith Gallon: I was stunned to see he corralled seven rebounds. I left the arena today thinking that was the most carbon blob-like performance I'd seen since Oleg left. And at least Oleg tried to get in there and mix it up during his limited minutes. Gallon looked intimidated before the barber shop quartet finished the national anthem. Oi.

2. Interior Depth: Fitz? Orlando? Anybody? Is Szendrei the second best post presence on the payroll? Good grief.

3. Turnovers: 20? With only ten assists? Who are we, the OU Women? Good grief.

In closing, they don't pay me enough to figure out the tough problems. If you'd read me the box score and the major contributors for our side I'd have sworn we were on the receiving end of an unholy ***-whipping. I'd have guessed the result to be so ugly that even the nuns in attendance would've slipped out early to beat the traffic. But we won, and I shant ever complain about a win in the Big 12. 2-1 in conference play, now let's see if this train can roll on the road as well.

One other thing: GO VIKINGS!

Thank you for your time.

King Crimson
1/16/2010, 07:35 PM
any W plus Otis Redding is hard to beat.

i had similar feelings watching the game on ESPN360. great effort, we almost barfed all over ourselves in the last minute again....but, nobody said it would be easy.

stoopified
1/16/2010, 07:53 PM
We did a good job in all the HUSTLE categories:Defense,rebounds,loose balls.Coach Anderson said his team was beaten because they were outhustled.I think Cade Davis was the epitome of that hustle.Davis looked like the stud he was in HS instead of the role player he has been in college.I was amazed by his performance.

One other thing I would add is that despite the numerous TO's we committed,most were unforced and left Missou unable to capitalize and score.To put it simply we threw a lot of passes out of bounds or dribbled the ball off our foot out of bounds.Missou thrives on getting steals and igniting their fastbreak.Unforced errors forced them to inbound instead of fastbreak.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/16/2010, 08:09 PM
Great day today. Sooners win! Saints win! Who dat!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/16/2010, 09:20 PM
I walked to my truck perplexed. I dined on free Raising Cane's in a state of bewilderment. The overpriced yogurt at Passionberri did little to settle my rollicking brain waves. You could describe me as slack-jawed while I waited for my wife to buy a pair of half-priced shoes at Dillard's. Even the 70 minute drive home did not move my cranium any closer to answering the question that's been rolling in my head since a little after two o'clock this afternoon; how in the hell did we win today?

Missouri starts the game on a 10-0 run.
We play at least ten minutes before we have as many field goal attempts as turnovers.
Crocker gets hurt before most find their seats.
Keith Gallon plays as his nickname would indicate: tiny.
Our two lead guards combined to turn the ball over an OU women-like 12 times.
Loose balls were on radar lock back to Missouri hands.
Ryan Wright was needed for 27 minutes.
Only five guys scored.

AND WE WON! You serious, Clark? I'm serious, Eddie, and I couldn't be more shocked if I woke up tomorrow with my head stapled to the carpet.

I'm stunned. Bamboozled. Hoodwinked. As all of you know from reading these attempts at writing over the years I'm no defensive guru. I don't know a 1-2-2 zone from a 2-1-2 or anything else. I deal in appearances, and it seemed like we had to work had for everything we did on offense while Misery could go where they pleased for large stretches of the game. I don't know if our defense made them antsy or not, but it seemed like whenever they made the extra pass a wide open shot would appear. Maybe that's Anderson's system, but all I know is that he kept throwing waves of bodies at us and the five guy who showed up today (I'm not including Gallon in that list) kept turning them back and fighting them off. It was a heroic effort.

For the longest time we couldn't get past them. We'd get right there to down one or two and they'd bump it up to five. I certainly never felt confident. I always thought we were teetering right there on the edge, and a Wile E. Coyote-esque plunge to our death awaited at the next lazy pass or poor shot. But Misery never landed the knockout blow. We finally got a lead at 36-34, but were back down 46-40 within seven minutes. There was 9:41 left in the game by then, but that adversity finally woke us up. We went on a 19-7 run over the next 6 1/2 minutes with great passing filling up our stat sheet. After that we proved we learned from our mistakes in trying to close out the Aggroids: six free throws (two by Pledger, four by Willie), and all found the bottom of the next. Wright missed one with a couple of seconds left, but by then the outcome was decided. 66-61, and home court was once again defended.

I just don't know how.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 9 [That poor yak behind the GLC. He hasn't kept down a meal in days.]
2nd - 18
3rd - 13 [not better]
4th - 26 [HALLELUJAH, HOLY ****! Where's the Tylenol?]

[b]LEADING SCORERS:
21 - Willie Warren [atta kid]
15 - Cade Davis [monster effort amongst the trees]
12 - Ryan Wright
10 - Steven Pledger

[b]LEADING REBOUNDERS:
11 - Cade Davis [WOW!]
8 - Ryan Wright
7 - Keith Gallon
5 - Steven Pledger [surprisingly decent rebounder]

PLUSES:
1. Cade Davis: If you took a team full of guys who were as cerebral as Cade is out there it'd look like some of those vintage Celtics teams. Overstatement central, 04! Yes, I know, but when our offense looked as though it had no clue how to penetrate the Misery defenses it was Cade who harkened back to his Geometry classes and used the angles to attack. Numerous times he would seal his man and find lanes to the glass. He even did it on an under-the-basket inbounds play. He took it to the rack time and time again. When Mrs. 04 leans over and asks, "Is it me, or is Cade the smartest guy on the team?" you KNOW the guy is carving them up out there. 15 and 11 for Cade out there today, and we get SMOKED without it. But no assists and four turnovers? Yeah, I don't care.

2. Willie Warren: Eight trips to the line, eight makes. We saw Willie early on looking like his usual lackadaisacal self, but he too finally figured out that we'd have to go to the rim to have any chance. But he also saved our bacon early on by hitting back-to-back treys when we found ourselves down 27-19 in the first half. Those shots kept us in reach, and then the late free throws kept their reach away.

3. Ryan Wright: Far and away his best game as a Sooner. 12 points and eight rebounds with some emphatic dunks after great passes from TMG and Willie. He's no longer leading in the clubhouse for the Longar Longar Hands of Stone Award. He played really tough out there today.

4. Steven Pledger: Good luck out there against Missouri, kid. Baptisms by Mizzou are tough on freshmen, just ask TMG about the seven turnovers he had today, but Pledger played a solid game. He scored ten points and grabbed five rebounds while not turning the ball over once. He could've gone meekly into the night, but he was assertive and WANTED to take shots. Hope to see more of him soon.

5. The Sooner Showmen: I've been down on all the bands for some time, but they played Can't Turn You Loose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnG0JjzF7HY) during one of the timeouts. I've only been yearning to hear it for about ten years now. The smile on my face stretched from Slaughterville to Little Axe.

6. The Crowd: It's not 12,000+ going bananas, but it's been back-to-back games of 10,000 or so being very involved. We've had bigger crowds, but I'll take the interest of these last two over just about anybody. When we needed a stop or a boost to our psyche, they more than obliged. That's really all anybody can ask. Good job, crowd.

7. Free Throws: 14 of 17. Yep yep!

MINUSES:
1. Keith Gallon: I was stunned to see he corralled seven rebounds. I left the arena today thinking that was the most carbon blob-like performance I'd seen since Oleg left. And at least Oleg tried to get in there and mix it up during his limited minutes. Gallon looked intimidated before the barber shop quartet finished the national anthem. Oi.

2. Interior Depth: Fitz? Orlando? Anybody? Is Szendrei the second best post presence on the payroll? Good grief.

3. Turnovers: 20? With only ten assists? Who are we, the OU Women? Good grief.

In closing, they don't pay me enough to figure out the tough problems. If you'd read me the box score and the major contributors for our side I'd have sworn we were on the receiving end of an unholy ***-whipping. I'd have guessed the result to be so ugly that even the nuns in attendance would've slipped out early to beat the traffic. But we won, and I shant ever complain about a win in the Big 12. 2-1 in conference play, now let's see if this train can roll on the road as well.

One other thing: GO VIKINGS!

Thank you for your time.

Well done. Call today a make-up for one of those times when OU inxplicably loses. Rather scratch my head over a win anytime.

badger
1/16/2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure I like the OU women comparisons, but considering that the women are winning and the men are now too, there you go! :D

Collier11
1/16/2010, 09:57 PM
PLUSES:
1. Cade Davis: When Mrs. 04 leans over and asks, "Is it me, or is Cade the smartest guy on the team?".

Well, he is dating Ms. Oklahoma

Collier11
1/16/2010, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure I like the OU women comparisons, but considering that the women are winning and the men are now too, there you go! :D

Have you ever watched an OU womens game, they turn the ball over like its a part of the game plan

bri
1/16/2010, 11:52 PM
It IS part of the game plan. Sherri's crafty like that.

Soonerus
1/17/2010, 12:08 AM
You deserve some good credit for sticking with this team... tough year but maybe they are starting to emerge...

kc sooner
1/17/2010, 01:18 AM
Great recap as usual, and love the Christmas Vacation quotes!! I love seeing Cade drive to the basket, he seems to be better at this than shooting 3's. Hope he keeps it up!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2010, 01:21 AM
Have you ever watched an OU womens game, they turn the ball over like its a part of the game plan

well in women's basketball there is a saying - shoot it quickly so you don't turn it over

bri
1/17/2010, 02:07 AM
jkm?

OUSKINS
1/17/2010, 09:52 AM
I don't need to gush about the way Cade played yesterday-- if you saw the game, you saw what I saw. But what Capel said after the game was what will help the "Elk City Legend" grow larger. Capel got a call on his way to the game from the trainer-- Alex Brown told him he didn't think Cade could go-- he was sick, fever, throwing up, etc.. But when Cade got to the LNC, he insisted on getting pumped with IV's and giving it a go. Then at halftime, he required more IV's and thus was not able at the very beginning of the second half.

15 points and 11 boards is great on paper, but it's even better if you watched the game. Again, he turned in a brilliant defensive effort and he consistently drove the ball to the hoop. Mizzou was closing out hard on our shooters and Cade noticed and took advantage. He had an absolutely stellar game.

But he was not the MVP. That honor goes to Willie. Best game of the year for Warren and he picked a darn good time to get it done. He helped us rally from the 10-0 hole at the start of the game and he hit two huge three's late in the first half when Mizzou was starting to build the lead again. Most importantly, Willie was our closer-- he made clutch plays down the stretch and went 8-8 from the FT line. He made a few bad passes and dribbled off his foot once or twice, but he made those errors while trying to be agressive and create for the team. I can accept that.

Listening to Capel in the post-game, it really sounds as if he is in the "build em back up" stage of the "break em down, build em back up" motivational strategy. He said he thinks the fans getting on Willie Monday night hurt him to an extent- said he went through the same thing at Duke and it made him better. He said Willie hasn't helped himself with his poor body language and attitude, but that lately he really has practiced hard and taken it upon himself to lead the team.

And this is straight out of Hoosiers.... Capel said at the 2:00 minute mark, Cade barely had anything left and Willie was screaming "let's do it for Cade" during timeouts.

So, it was clearly the Cade and Willie show on Saturday, but Tiny Gallon owes Ryan Wright a steak dinner or a lap dance at Sugar's or something. Tiny had one of the worst efforts/performances I've seen in a long time in Norman. He got yanked twice early and then again early in the second half, never to return. In the post-game, Capel said he talked all week about being tough and not playing soft-- "and that's why Tiny was sitting." Capel then went on to say that Tiny practiced soft all week and he wasn't surprised he played soft. Capel is ridiculously honest and I love it.

Wright saved the day...he has very little physical talent, but he played smart and tough and had by far his best game as a Sooner. He really picked up the slack for Tiny.

Tiny and Crocker (who got injured early) combine for a grand total of zero points and we still win the game after falling behind 10-0. Nice. Best win of the year without a doubt. TMG had an unnaceptable 7 turnovers, but I like what I see from him-- really taking command of the point and for the second game in a row he stepped up and hit a huge three down the stretch.

We still have a ton of work to do if we want to even get on the bubble for the Dance, but I'm really not worried about that right now. Pretty obvious we stunk early in the year and there's no way to go back now and erase those bad losses. I'm just focused on the team improving from here. This was a really nice week for the Sooners-- neither win was pretty, but both were gut-checks and the team responded. At College Station Tuesday is a tall order-- Aggies are big and tough, came within an eyelash of winning in Austin. I don't expect a win there-- but I do think we can win in Lubbock on Saturday-- win 1 of those 2 and we'll be in decent shape going forward.

okienole3
1/17/2010, 10:17 AM
Willie's body language was much improved yesterday. He was the first to congratulate Cade after his circus shot, And 1. He played tremendously. Only two things that I can pick on. First, the "Willie Waltz", as I have coined it, after making a play has got to stop. Second, it was a free throw Willie. No need to pull the Gamma Ray and leave it hanging on the way down the floor, as the ball drives right by you to the bucket.

As for Cade, nothing else can or needs to be said. Gutsy, gutsy performance.

Ryan Wright finally learned to catch (which has been a big problem) the ball and just take it right to the hoop. Tiny could learn a lot from his performance. Now, Tiny played horrible and still had 7 boards. And he did not sulk on the bench, he was our biggest cheerleader.

okienole3
1/17/2010, 10:18 AM
Also, 04 mentioned it, but major props need to go to Pledger too. He grew up today.

bri
1/17/2010, 11:41 AM
Years from now, Sooner fans will refer to these as "the Flu Game Shoes"...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4282187598_451ea8f09b_o.jpg

badger
1/17/2010, 12:38 PM
It IS part of the game plan. Sherri's crafty like that.

Whether it is or isn't, the womens team's winning :D

well in women's basketball there is a saying - shoot it quickly so you don't turn it over
And in mens, the saying is "SHOOT THE D@MN BALL ALREADY, WILLIE!"

Also, I brought it up earlier, but I really, really think Cade needs to get some type of end o' season award for defense or just being awesome in the Big 12... and yes, I realize the conference season just started.

bri
1/17/2010, 02:15 PM
The women's team is winning against Marist and Rogers State. We'll see how nine active players and a handful of turnovers works in the Big 12.

badger
1/17/2010, 02:49 PM
They're at home today against A&M at 4:30. It's allegedly on 4:30 if you're interested. A&M's ranked No. 8 right now. I will probably tune in after I'm done laughing at the Vikings.

Once again, congrats to the mens team on a good conference win.

bri
1/17/2010, 02:58 PM
I'm glad the women's basketball blogger will "probably" tune in.

I, on the other hand, will be in the studio a full two hours before tip, ready to watch the game in its entirety.

King Crimson
1/17/2010, 03:52 PM
after I'm done laughing at the Vikings.

at least you haven't edited this part out.

27-3 Vikes.

badger
1/17/2010, 06:33 PM
at least you haven't edited this part out.

27-3 Vikes.

Nah, I've already commented in the football thread on the game. I was in a lose-lose situation, because my team has already lost in the playoffs and I'm not fond of either team that played today on the NFC side.

I'm watching the women now (it's at half on FSN) and they are doing pretty well. Sherri is decked out in a white pants suit, while A&M's coach has on the worst tie in the world. We lead by 11. Boomer!

Boomer.....
1/18/2010, 09:49 AM
Great pic from the game:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7552/picture10ir.png