PDA

View Full Version : Dear Okie brethern and sistern...

Okla-homey
1/16/2010, 06:55 PM
I've observed various entities around T-town set-up to accept items destined for Haiti relief.

Don't do it.

Instead, donate cash to legitimate relief orgs. Even if said entity fully intends to send your stuff to Haiti, and that ain't always certain, fact is, stuff simply can't get where it's needed because the transportation pipeline is clogged like a very clogged thing.

That is all.

Me? Just a broke-down old GI who has been involved in a few "humanitarian missions" in his day.

OUHOMER
1/16/2010, 07:23 PM
UMM, GW said the same thing today. And i agree 100 percent.

Red Cross has always been my favorite

1/16/2010, 10:19 PM
Very quality analogy... didn't use the word "old" though.

My reply is lame like an old lame thing.

StoopTroup
1/16/2010, 10:23 PM
The Red Cross is a decent place to give help. Dean mentioned Salvation Army. I give to Red Cross and give blood when I can. Also we give to Catholic Charities as well.

If giving to a Church....make sure they've done this stuff before IMO. If they haven't...In Tulsa the Crosstown Church of Christ and many other legitimate orgs were involved in helping the Katrina Victims and I would contact them as I believe they and Catholic charities are in the know.

47straight
1/16/2010, 10:29 PM
The Red Cross is a decent place to give help. Dean mentioned Salvation Army. I give to Red Cross and give blood when I can. Also we give to Catholic Charities as well.

If giving to a Church....make sure they've done this stuff before IMO. If they haven't...In Tulsa the Crosstown Church of Christ and many other legitimate orgs were involved in helping the Katrina Victims and I would contact them as I believe they and Catholic charities are in the know.

Catholic Relief Services is kind of the international counterpart to CC, and probably has the better access to getting stuff to Haiti in this particular circumstance.

Regardless, y'alls point is very well taken.

olevetonahill
1/16/2010, 10:31 PM
Did Yall see the Article yesterday , about how the Banks and CC companies are making millions of this ?

1/16/2010, 10:33 PM
...just a note... please don't donate boxes of cat-pee clothes. Honestly, even people in third-world situations don't like the smell.

After the Newcastle area tornado, I worked several days going through donations for folks... it turned into an opportunity for people to empty their garages. Folks, just burn it.

StoopTroup
1/16/2010, 10:33 PM
Catholic Relief Services is kind of the international counterpart to CC, and probably has the better access to getting stuff to Haiti in this particular circumstance.

Regardless, y'alls point is very well taken.

As Haiti is 80% Catholic....the Church definitely is going to be involved in a big way.

StoopTroup
1/16/2010, 10:34 PM
...just a note... please don't donate boxes of cat-pee clothes. Honestly, even people in third-world situations don't like the smell.

After the Newcastle area tornado, I worked several days going through donations for folks... it turned into an opportunity for people to empty their garages. Folks, just burn it.

Or leave it at a texas rest stop.

olevetonahill
1/16/2010, 10:35 PM
As Haiti is 80% Catholic....the Church definitely is going to be involved in a big way.

I thot they were 100% HooDoo :D

StoopTroup
1/16/2010, 10:37 PM
I thot they were 100% HooDoo :D

That's a part of their culture yes. Heck if that old stuff wasn't still kicking....their Country would have been even worse off is my guess. I compare it to Roswell and the Aliens.

bri
1/17/2010, 12:02 AM
I don't know, man. This chick sounds legit:

(407): i took off my shirt and wrote "help HATI" on my tits, and charged people to motorboat me. i woke up with 267$ in my purse

GKeeper316
1/17/2010, 12:19 AM
when giving to charity, you cant go wrong with catholic charities.

while "charities" like feed the children spend millions of dollars promoting themselves and building headquarters that look like corporate office complexes, catholic charities still work out of run-down buildings furnished with desks and chairs that look like they were bought at a government auction 40 years ago. why? because when they get money and goods for relief efforts, they actually get the money and goods where it needs to be, and doesnt attach strings to it like the mormans... come get your free stuff that you desperately need to survive, but only if you sit through our 2 hour sermon about how awesome joseph smith was.

Crucifax Autumn
1/17/2010, 01:48 AM
Hubler in 3...2...1...

Flagstaffsooner
1/17/2010, 02:40 AM
I wouldnt give a dime to the Catholic church, they will just give it to ND rectruits or the alter boy butt **** fund.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/17/2010, 02:48 AM
I wouldnt give a dime to the Catholic church, they will just give it to ND rectruits or the alter boy butt **** fund.Shhh.

KC//CRIMSON
1/17/2010, 11:12 AM
While I'm sure all of you have already given or texted money for Haitian disaster relief, please -- if you can at all afford it -- give a little money to either Doctors Without Borders or the International Medical Corps this weekend.

Haiti now faces massive potential for infections and disease, and the more medical personnel we can get over there, the better:

www.doctorswithoutborders.com & http://www.imcworldwide.org/Page.aspx?pid=183

Both are outstanding organizations.

TUSooner
1/17/2010, 03:50 PM
As previously noted around here, UMCOR (United Methodist Committee On Relief) is also an A+ charity: 100% goes where intended. (I assume the church picks up all the admin costs from other $.)

Soonerfan88
1/17/2010, 09:21 PM
Another great church organization is Nazarene Compassionate Ministries http://www.ncm.org/

And I wholeheartedly second the support of Doctors Without Borders.