PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Eli?

Collier11
1/15/2010, 12:44 AM
Anyone? Im going to watch it tom night, I think it looks allsome!

ouwasp
1/15/2010, 01:14 AM
I don't know... I was thinking of going, but after checking it out on imdb I'm not so sure...

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 03:31 AM
I just hope the book turns out to just be a collection of Far Side comic strips.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 03:33 AM
Im fairly certain the book will be the Bible or some adaptation of

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 03:39 AM
That's fairly clear, but my idea would be a bigger twist since EVERYONE already knows what the book is.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 03:41 AM
I just like the mad max touch, I love post apocalyptic type movies

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 03:50 AM
As long as it's not Thunderdome, I can at least partially agree. And Waterworld is post apocalypse and it sucked balls.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 03:52 AM
never watched waterworld, I loved I am legend though, also loved the two 28 days/weeks later movies

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 03:55 AM
28 Days was awesome. I think a great rule of thumb on this type of movies is that the more expensive they are, the more they suck. I Am LEgend would have benefitted from the screenwriter and director actually trying something new and READING Matheson's novel. instead of just remaking Omega Man.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 03:58 AM
I dont mind the religious overtones but I agree that in I am legend the director tried to hard to make that work.

28 days later was amazing, especially the music, 28 weeks later was good, not great. Shaun of the Dead was brilliant :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 04:02 AM
Shaun of the Dead is one of the funniest movies of the decade.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 04:06 AM
No doubt, seriously though, just listening to the music in 28 days later gives me a stiffy, a very well done movie and an under-appreciated movie

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 04:14 AM
Maybe in the general public, but it does currently have a 7.6 rating on IMDB which is pretty good for what is basically a zombie movie that only cost 8 million. It made over 45 million at the box office in the US alone, which is GREAT for an independent, foreign film.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 04:16 AM
True, I guess referring to under appreciated in my mind deals with commercial success

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 04:35 AM
A 600% return on investment and a sequel is pretty good commercial success and that's not counting the millions in made all over Europe and the DVD sales. There is much to be said for that as compared to the risk of a 100 million plus movie that can conceivably flop at the box office. Weeks made 28 million in the US, which is obviously less impressive, but still on only an 11 mill budget.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 04:37 AM
you know what I mean, if you dont make $100 mil in US, it is considered a flop more often than not

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 05:06 AM
I do know what you mean, I just think it's unfair to expect blockbuster James Cameron money from extremely inexpensive indy movies. Using the Waterworld example again, that was the most expensive movie ever when it came out at 175 million and it only grossed 88 million domestic. Now THAT is a flop!

OR the most famous flop ever Ishtar, which cost 55 mill in '87 and grossed a whopping 12 million!!!! That movie almost caused Hollywood to stop casting more than one big name actor in a movie. It only released in one other country, West Germany and only added another million.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 05:09 AM
then look at Paranormal activity, doesnt necessarily relate to the quality of the movie (I thought it was decent, alot of people dont) but it made a ton of money on a tiny budget. 28 days later is a classic though, IMHO

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 06:42 AM
We've already had our discussion of that one, and it's not my thing. I already watched Lake Mungo and Home Movie so I've had my fill of shaky cam/home video stuff for awhile.

MR2-Sooner86
1/15/2010, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry but 28 Days Later sucked ***. I went to go watch it with my dad and we were expecting something great and got...nothing. We both laughed at the end at people saying, "It scared the hell out of me!" Yeah it'd scare me too...if I was seven.

Dawn of the Dead remake > Zombieland > Simpsons Treehouse of Horror Dial Z for Zombie > a zombie cartoon on Disney Channel > 28 Days Later

C&CDean
1/15/2010, 10:25 AM
When a thread is a 2-person circle-jerk you can pretty much bet your $$ that whatever movie they think rocks actually sucks.

So, did anybody see Eli?

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139120

Collier11
1/15/2010, 12:11 PM
^ blah

Crucifax Autumn
1/15/2010, 11:10 PM
When a thread is a 2-person circle-jerk you can pretty much bet your $$ that whatever movie they think rocks actually sucks.

So, did anybody see Eli?

Pay attention. I said I wasn't interested in the movie or it's little Bible plot that they gave away before the movie even came out. I spent my time discussing other, better movies and saying that I Am Legend sucks because they didn't bother with the book, and in fact ignored it completely.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 11:35 PM
Just got back and let me tell you, this is a very well done, very powerful movie...the theme of the movie isnt hard to figure out, the movie is done to promote that theme. If you arent a Christian, you dont believe in God, or you are just close minded towards those type of topics you probably wont like the movie or at best you might find it cheesy. I loved it, loved the message and the way it was delivered.

Crucifax Autumn
1/16/2010, 11:04 AM
Watch "The Road".

Soonrboy
1/16/2010, 01:20 PM
I thought it was way too violent to be considered "uplifting" or "spiritual"

KC//CRIMSON
1/16/2010, 02:06 PM
Watch "The Road".

Thought it was disappointing. I recommend A Serious Man.

rwryne
1/16/2010, 02:38 PM
Thought it was disappointing. I recommend A Serious Man.

Thought it was disappointing. I recommend The Road

Collier11
1/16/2010, 02:38 PM
I thought it was way too violent to be considered "uplifting" or "spiritual"

The violence had a point though, it wasnt just pointless violence

KC//CRIMSON
1/16/2010, 02:51 PM
Thought it was disappointing. I recommend The Road

I recommend The Road if you're having trouble with insomnia.

Crucifax Autumn
1/17/2010, 01:05 AM
I liked The Road a lot. A Serious Man was incredible though and one of the better movies all year. Of course I'm a Coen Bros. nerd so maybe that's it.

The only reason I mentioned The Road is the earlier conversation of post apocalypse films. AND it had a Christ figure, subtle religious undercurrents, a bunch of walking, and a blind dude named Eli! lmao

Crucifax Autumn
1/17/2010, 01:06 AM
It would been better if they hadn't cut out the "Baby on a Spit" scene though!

the_ouskull
1/17/2010, 09:41 AM
Shaun of the Dead is one of the best movies of the decade.

FTFY.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
1/17/2010, 10:03 AM
I got nuthin' I haven't seen this one yet. We almost went last night but the little gurl has strep throat. She's been fighting it for a week. It really sucks when your kids are sick. I bet you all thought this was gonna be a really good spoiler tag huh?

Crucifax Autumn
1/17/2010, 10:17 AM
Heh...Sucks when my kiddos are sick too.

Uncle Ernie
1/17/2010, 06:42 PM
Seems that when they don't really explain why the apocalypse occured in detail early in the film those type movies are pretty lame. Not always because some explain it as the movie rolls along. Or they remake a great movie such as "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and put dufus Keeanu in it. Then they also make it so politically correct I want to slam my d*ck in a sliding glass door. PLus does every movie drag global warming into the plot? Whether you believe it's happening or not please leave it out of the movies that you have to force it into the plot witha pry bar.

Crucifax Autumn
1/18/2010, 01:51 AM
Not sure whitch movie you are referring to, but to me if the story isn't directly related to HOW the apocalypse occurred it doesn't matter to me. If it's not essential to the story there is no reason to include it.

Collier11
1/18/2010, 02:42 AM
BOE is a damn good movie

Crucifax Autumn
1/18/2010, 02:51 AM
So is The Road, even though it apparently doesn't have enough **** blowing up for everyone's taste or enough blatant symbolism to keep some people awake. But despine some of the criticism here, The Road currently has a 7.9 rating on IMDB. I DID notice that the worst votes for the film come from females 30-44 so maybe that explains some of these SF posters! lol

It's early and probably includes mainly people who WANTED to like the movie and rushed out to see it, but IMDB is backing Collier up on Book of Eli by raiting a 7.6 so far. It too has it's worst rating among females 30-44 oddly enough. Females under 18 currently give it a 10, explaining Collier's feelings!

Collier11
1/18/2010, 03:17 AM
True dat

KC//CRIMSON
1/18/2010, 01:44 PM
So is The Road, even though it apparently doesn't have enough **** blowing up for everyone's taste or enough blatant symbolism to keep some people awake. But despine some of the criticism here, The Road currently has a 7.9 rating on IMDB. I DID notice that the worst votes for the film come from females 30-44 so maybe that explains some of these SF posters! lol

It's early and probably includes mainly people who WANTED to like the movie and rushed out to see it, but IMDB is backing Collier up on Book of Eli by raiting a 7.6 so far. It too has it's worst rating among females 30-44 oddly enough. Females under 18 currently give it a 10, explaining Collier's feelings!

It's a grind. Each weary, rainy step is agony. Around every corner is more desolation. More destruction. More misery. On it goes until The Road finally hits a dead end.

This one-note exercise in neo-medieval moodiness eventually dissolves into that perennial and most corny of Hollywood tropes: the search for redemption. A disappointment.

Drab, virtually plot-free and aridly pointless, this road doesn't get anywhere.

The Road offers an allegory of misery and dread that is crushing, not because it denies humanistic feeling but because it defies cinemagoing pleasure. You would have to be mad – or just morbidly depressed – to recommend it to anyone.

Like Mad Max on Mogadon, the film is enraptured with its own depressiveness, coming on like the worst New Year hangover you’ve ever had.

What was poetic and spare on the page has become monotonous and oppressive on the screen.

In attempting to realize McCarthy's vision of the planet in chaos, Hillcoat delves so deeply into his source material that he loses sight of the audience.

The movie is a flop. I'd say most respected critics got it right.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 02:29 PM
If it makes money...it's not a flop in Hollyweird.

KC//CRIMSON
1/18/2010, 02:44 PM
If it makes money...it's not a flop in Hollyweird.

Released in Nov '09

Studio cost to produce - $20 million

Box office sales to date - $7million

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 02:49 PM
Released in Nov '09

Studio cost to produce - $20 million

Box office sales to date - $7million

Only 13 million to go. Well...$12,992,000.00 after I go see it.

KC//CRIMSON
1/18/2010, 02:53 PM
Only 13 million to go. Well...$12,992,000.00 after I go see it.

If you wait a week you can catch it at the dollar cinema.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 03:03 PM
If you wait a week you can catch it at the dollar cinema.

I'm committed to it's success now. :D

sooneron
1/18/2010, 03:43 PM
A 600% return on investment and a sequel is pretty good commercial success and that's not counting the millions in made all over Europe and the DVD sales. There is much to be said for that as compared to the risk of a 100 million plus movie that can conceivably flop at the box office. Weeks made 28 million in the US, which is obviously less impressive, but still on only an 11 mill budget.

You don't know accounting for a feature film if you think that a movie that was made for 8 mm and made 45mm is a 600% return.
You aren't factoring in marketing etc which was probably more than the under the line budget.

It probably made a little more than double.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 03:48 PM
A good Executive in this Country knows how to turn a winnah into a write-off.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 04:48 PM
Forest Hump

Lott's Bandana
1/18/2010, 04:58 PM
^ blah

Might be blah, but my blah trumped your slow ***!

:P

Collier11
1/18/2010, 05:05 PM
my thread is bigger :D

Collier11
1/18/2010, 05:05 PM
Forest Hump

In Diana Jones and The Temple of Poon

JohnnyMack
1/18/2010, 05:08 PM
It's a grind. Each weary, rainy step is agony. Around every corner is more desolation. More destruction. More misery. On it goes until The Road finally hits a dead end.

This one-note exercise in neo-medieval moodiness eventually dissolves into that perennial and most corny of Hollywood tropes: the search for redemption. A disappointment.

Drab, virtually plot-free and aridly pointless, this road doesn't get anywhere.

The Road offers an allegory of misery and dread that is crushing, not because it denies humanistic feeling but because it defies cinemagoing pleasure. You would have to be mad – or just morbidly depressed – to recommend it to anyone.

Like Mad Max on Mogadon, the film is enraptured with its own depressiveness, coming on like the worst New Year hangover you’ve ever had.

What was poetic and spare on the page has become monotonous and oppressive on the screen.

In attempting to realize McCarthy's vision of the planet in chaos, Hillcoat delves so deeply into his source material that he loses sight of the audience.

The movie is a flop. I'd say most respected critics got it right.

Dude you posted one review from some guy in Des Moines.

The movie is really, really solid.

Collier11
1/18/2010, 05:10 PM
According to this it got almost all good reviews

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810037227/critic

KC//CRIMSON
1/18/2010, 05:13 PM
Dude you posted one review from some guy in Des Moines.

The movie is really, really solid.

Those are several quotes from critics at Rotten Tomatoes, goofy.

The movie is a really really solid turd.

Reviews Counted:168

Fresh:125

Rotten:43

Average Rating:6.9/10

Consensus: The Road's commitment to Cormac McCarthy's dark vision may prove too unyielding for some, but the film benefits from hauntingly powerful performances from Viggo Mortensen and Kodi McPhee.

In other words, good performance by the actors but the movie sucked out loud.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/18/2010, 05:19 PM
What kind of reviews did Freddie Got Fingered get?

Collier11
1/18/2010, 05:21 PM
Daddy would you like some sausage?

JohnnyMack
1/18/2010, 05:22 PM
Those are several quotes from critics at Rotten Tomatoes, goofy.

The movie is a really really solid turd.

Reviews Counted:168

Fresh:125

Rotten:43

Average Rating:6.9/10

Consensus: The Road's commitment to Cormac McCarthy's dark vision may prove too unyielding for some, but the film benefits from hauntingly powerful performances from Viggo Mortensen and Kodi McPhee.

In other words, good performance by the actors but the movie sucked out loud.

:dean:Meh./:dean:

Chuck Bao
1/18/2010, 05:23 PM
I haven't watched this film. But after reading the spoiler, it sounds awful. WTF? What a sorry excuse for a movie. The premise for Costner's post-apocalytic Mailman was 10x better. Someone please tell me that I am wrong.

Besides, I normally don't read the critics. I read the spoilers.

Collier11
1/18/2010, 05:24 PM
which movie are you referring to chuck? The Road or The Book of Eli

Chuck Bao
1/18/2010, 05:26 PM
The Book of Eli. I have never seen a spoiler entry for "The Road". Is there one?

Collier11
1/18/2010, 05:33 PM
Not sure, I can tell you basically what the Book of Eli is about without giving it away...I really liked the movie, I thought it was well done

Here ya go,

It is 30 yrs post apocalyptic war, the world is in ruins and has gone back to the days of humans basically being animals. Road gangs who rape and murder, little or no technology, no government, no law basically, few people can read and very few survived from the generation that knew the old world, and no signs of God minus one Bible which Denzel was led to by God. It explains in the movie why this is the case so I wont tell you.

Basically Denzel was given a mission by God to "go west" and protect the Bible, if he does this God will protect him and anyone who helps him. He doesnt know why or where he is going exactly, he just follows Gods message.

There is alot of violence, some good bits of fighting, no love story but there is a girl of interest. Some might see a conflict with the violence and the overall message of keeping Gods word alive but I personally felt like the movie shows why the violence is important.

Anyway, that kind of somes it up without giving away too much

KC//CRIMSON
1/18/2010, 05:34 PM
:dean:Meh./:dean:

Dean doesn't have to go see the road, he's already got the most bad *ss underground bunker known to man. It's stocked with homemade deer jerkey, vegetables that momma canned, and his ultimate Grand Funk Railroad collection.

JohnnyMack
1/18/2010, 05:40 PM
Not sure, I can tell you basically what the Book of Eli is about without giving it away...I really liked the movie, I thought it was well done

Here ya go,

It is 30 yrs post apocalyptic war, the world is in ruins and has gone back to the days of humans basically being animals. Road gangs who rape and murder, little or no technology, no government, no law basically, few people can read and very few survived from the generation that knew the old world, and no signs of God minus one Bible which Denzel was led to by God. It explains in the movie why this is the case so I wont tell you.

Basically Denzel was given a mission by God to "go west" and protect the Bible, if he does this God will protect him and anyone who helps him. He doesnt know why or where he is going exactly, he just follows Gods message.

There is alot of violence, some good bits of fighting, no love story but there is a girl of interest. Some might see a conflict with the violence and the overall message of keeping Gods word alive but I personally felt like the movie shows why the violence is important.

Are you talking about Denzel or Joseph Smith?

Chuck Bao
1/18/2010, 06:21 PM

Here ya go,

Thanks Collier. It just seems so implausible to me that of all of the hundreds of millions of Bibles in print now that they could all be destroyed sometimes in the future. Then the Holy Book has its own set of prophecies and none of that even resembles the plot of this movie. Then the divinely annointed one needs to shoot his way out of the chaos left in a Bible-less world?

I am sure it was well done. And, I am normally very good with the suspension of belief. Maybe there is humor meant there - suspension of belief and the Book of Eli is the Bible. Okay, that is horrible.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 08:43 PM
The reason there was only one Bible....

http://www.mclibrary.duke.edu/training/mobiledevices/kindle/kindle.jpg

You have been warned.

:D

Chuck Bao
1/18/2010, 08:55 PM
The reason there was only one Bible....

http://www.mclibrary.duke.edu/training/mobiledevices/kindle/kindle.jpg

You have been warned.

Now that is a futuristic view - the preacher man telling everyone to get out their Kimbles or the church directory telling everyone in advance to download the lyrics to the church hymns to be sung. I like it.

Crucifax Autumn
1/19/2010, 12:52 AM
No, it's not a Kindle, but it's not a standard print bible either.

StoopTroup
1/19/2010, 07:09 AM

OUHOMER
1/24/2010, 09:29 AM
saw it last night, very good, but now i need to see it again.

I need to see some of the subtle moves Eli made. I wasnt ready for that

Kimberlyz4OU
1/24/2010, 11:08 AM
I saw it last night too. I'm in the 30-44 age woman category~if it were not for Denzel, I would have been out of that theater so fast. Well that and my husband was enjoying it........blech!

Soonerwake
1/25/2010, 02:57 PM
Saw it this weekend. Thought it was solid, not the best ever, but solid.

Of course, I like the a**-kicking movies anyway...

And all that stuff about symbolism and plots and whatever is alot of blah, blah, blah to me. You are either entertained by the movie or not. As usual, we make this way too hard...

Soonerwake
1/25/2010, 02:59 PM
I saw it last night too. I'm in the 30-44 age woman category~if it were not for Denzel, I would have been out of that theater so fast. Well that and my husband was enjoying it........blech!

I know what you mean, but from the other side. Got drug to The Notebook. I actually contemplated throwing myself over the railing at one point...

47straight
2/13/2010, 12:32 PM
Big thumbs up.

yankee
2/13/2010, 01:21 PM
Awesome movie.