PDA

View Full Version : Chow will remain at UCLA

SoonerMom2
1/14/2010, 06:25 PM
Looks like Kiffen is not going to get the complete staff he wanted with Chow remaining at UCLA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=4825852

badger
1/14/2010, 06:41 PM
Good for Norm. It's nice that some coaches will remain loyal to players and programs.

ouduckhunter
1/14/2010, 06:49 PM
Trojans, USUC!

Jacie
1/14/2010, 07:00 PM
I don't know if it is loyalty so much as it is the history between him and Laney. Here's an excerpt from an article on a UCLA team page:

Things reached a head in January of 2005. Carroll, Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian met in Mobile, Ala., at the Senior Bowl and talked about a plan to bring Sarkisian back from the Raiders, where he was an assistant and kick Chow into the job of assistant head coach.
They also discussed removing playcalling duties from Chow.
Chow told friends recently he was "hurt" and "upset" and thought he was being forced out.
"I think they wouldn't mind if (Chow) left," said an associate of Carroll and Chow. "I think it's about ego and maybe they are tired of Norm. They don't need him anymore."
Now, to be fair, Chow could also be aloof and paranoid at times and his quiet demeanor is not the type of personality Carroll seems to prefer on his coaching staff.
With all of this going on, Chow was offered the Titans job. After he took the job, some other things happened between involving Chow and Kiffin, but I'll go into them another time. Meanwhile Chow no longer speaks to Sarkisian, feeling he was betrayed by his former protege.

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 07:01 PM
Norm Chow has great social skills ...

GKeeper316
1/14/2010, 07:05 PM
they outta hire leach... between him and kiffin, there should be tons of fodder for the ESPiN crew for years to come.

and i think the pac-10 would be a great place for a leach run offense.

TUSooner
1/14/2010, 07:05 PM
I like his name... "Norm Chow"
I could just keep saying it
Norm Chow
Norm Chow
Norm Chow

OK. That's all.

SCxxSOONER
1/14/2010, 08:32 PM
i thought leach went to ucla? am i missing something?

Tigeman
1/14/2010, 09:09 PM
Those were just false reports that followed the Chow to USC stuff

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 09:17 PM
Bobby Bowden to Tennessee

soonerhubs
1/14/2010, 09:21 PM
Norm Chow won Pete a title. Lane? Not so much.

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 09:23 PM
Pete Carroll to UCLA

soonerhubs
1/14/2010, 09:29 PM
Did you guys know it's Norm Chow Ed.D in Educational Psychology? Hey Lady you call him dr. Chow!

picasso
1/14/2010, 11:36 PM
I don't know if it is loyalty so much as it is the history between him and Laney. Here's an excerpt from an article on a UCLA team page:

Things reached a head in January of 2005. Carroll, Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian met in Mobile, Ala., at the Senior Bowl and talked about a plan to bring Sarkisian back from the Raiders, where he was an assistant and kick Chow into the job of assistant head coach.
They also discussed removing playcalling duties from Chow.
Chow told friends recently he was "hurt" and "upset" and thought he was being forced out.
"I think they wouldn't mind if (Chow) left," said an associate of Carroll and Chow. "I think it's about ego and maybe they are tired of Norm. They don't need him anymore."
Now, to be fair, Chow could also be aloof and paranoid at times and his quiet demeanor is not the type of personality Carroll seems to prefer on his coaching staff.
With all of this going on, Chow was offered the Titans job. After he took the job, some other things happened between involving Chow and Kiffin, but I'll go into them another time. Meanwhile Chow no longer speaks to Sarkisian, feeling he was betrayed by his former protege.

Heard on the radio that Chow highly dislikes him.

VA Sooner
1/15/2010, 10:13 AM
Chow was smart... the football environment is unpredictable at USC at the moment... really won't know their future until after the Infractions Committee meets with the school in February. Going there may equal football career suicide.

Maybe that's Kiffin's way of getting out of all the trouble at Tennessee. He can then blame any future failings on the issues arising from the Mayo-McKnight-Bush debacle.