PDA

View Full Version : Who has experienced a 5.0+ Earthquake?

SteelClip49
1/14/2010, 12:20 PM
With the aftermath of Haiti...it got me to thinking of the earthquake I experienced but have very little memory of. I remember the exact time and how long it lasted but as far as remember mopst of the surroundings at the age of 8...not too much.

I was in Anaheim with the family in the Disneyland Hotel and the morning we were going to ride the rides and do everything at Disneyland....it was disrupted by a 7.4 Landers Quake. We were interviewed by locals and one of the reporters said..."I bet this is a new and interesting experience that is not tornadic." I remember my dad chuckling at that seeing how we are from Oklahoma.

When at Disneyland...most rides had been closed but there was still some to ride and plenty to do. When out walking around at two different times of the day were two huge aftershocks and people were falling while walking. I was one of them.

It was a once and a lifetime experience considering I had told my mother on the plane ride into San Jose.."What if we get into a major earthquake?" She said...if anything it would be a small one to the effect in which we would feel but the locals would just brush it off. Sure enough...we got into a major one, the largest in southern california in over 40 years. Of the whole trip in which we did a lot, the quake was the best part but the quake in Haiti is certainly no joke as we all have seen the aftermath.

C&CDean
1/14/2010, 12:24 PM
I was in Long Beach when the Northridge quake hit. I was sleeping in the hotel, and didn't feel a damn thing. I did hit the hotel bar the night before though.

Howzit
1/14/2010, 12:34 PM
Disclaimer: I have no idea what the exact seismic reading was

Milpitas California in 1988.

It was a Sunday and we'd been working a bunch of straight days. Got off early and headed to the restaurant (read: bar). We were sitting around after several, and the place starts to shake, I look up and see the win glasses hanging upside down from the rack all jiggly- and shaky-like.

A table next to us had probably 8 to 10 people at it, one of the guys jumps up, runs out the door, across a patio, and jumps a wrought (wrought?) iron fence to get outside in the open. When everything quits being all jiggly- and shaky-like and it's obvious things are ok and the roof isn't going to fall, he comes slinking back to the jeers of his colleagues...and his pregnant wife.

Yeah, he took some ****.

SoonerStormchaser
1/14/2010, 12:58 PM
Lived in northern Japan for four years...biggest one we had was 5.2...definitely an eye-opening experience.

OUMallen
1/14/2010, 01:10 PM
Disclaimer: I have no idea what the exact seismic reading was

Milpitas California in 1988.

It was a Sunday and we'd been working a bunch of straight days. Got off early and headed to the restaurant (read: bar). We were sitting around after several, and the place starts to shake, I look up and see the win glasses hanging upside down from the rack all jiggly- and shaky-like.

A table next to us had probably 8 to 10 people at it, one of the guys jumps up, runs out the door, across a patio, and jumps a wrought (wrought?) iron fence to get outside in the open. When everything quits being all jiggly- and shaky-like and it's obvious things are ok and the roof isn't going to fall, he comes slinking back to the jeers of his colleagues...and his pregnant wife.

Yeah, he took some ****.

Hahaha, ouch.

SteelClip49
1/14/2010, 02:23 PM
U guess the Oakland/San Francisco World Series was the 1989 Quake?

Btw...what is up with these fairly frequent quakes in Oklahoma? Is it a sign?

A good friend of mine is from Japan and he says a 6 pointer is what we would consider something minor here. Sure some worry but not a big deal when there is a 6 pointer there in Japan. He says people start to go s**t crazy and somewhat panic when people die and there is damage. Those Japanese are tough!

KABOOKIE
1/14/2010, 03:01 PM
It was a Sunday and we'd been working a bunch of straight days.

I thought Sunday was a gay day? Straight days are Monday thru Friday.

KABOOKIE
1/14/2010, 03:02 PM
I was in the SC area for the 1994 Northridge 6.7 quake. Woke me up but, thats about it.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2010, 03:06 PM
I have a couple of times. Anchorage is in a fairly active tectonic zone. Lots of volcanos as well.

hellogoodbye
1/14/2010, 03:34 PM
Lived in SoCal for a few years (early 90s). Enough to experience the different types.

I dont know what was worse, the up and down sudden jolting types (I was indoors and it sounded\felt like a truck hit the house for a 5-6 second period of time), or the back and forth action (wake up bouncing in the bed and seeing the curtains sway back and forth - go run outside and seeing the power lines whipping around like silly string, thinking the whole running outside deal might not be the best idea).

Give me a tornado over earthquake - any time!

CobraKai
1/14/2010, 04:14 PM
I was in Mexico City during the 5.6 that happened in April. I was on the 4th floor of a 15 floor building when it happened.

Jacie
1/14/2010, 07:54 PM
2002. Au Sable Forks EQ (Northern New York) was a 5.1 or 5.2, depending on the source. It was a Sunday morning, between 6:00 and 6:30. Wifey and I were both awake and lying in bed when we heard the sound and felt the house start to shake. It lasted long enough, more than 10 seconds, that we were both thinking we should get out of the house. The dog was in the room and started to whine, too. There was no damage where we were but closer to the epicenter some roads were damaged such that they had to be shut down.

Jello Biafra
1/15/2010, 10:33 AM
i think tinker just experienced a couple in the last hour. anyone else feel it? i thought my building was hit

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2010, 10:37 AM
1997 - Tokyo - Early Evening

3rd floor hotel room.

"Rachel! (11yo) Stop kicking the bed!!"

"I'm not Mom."

"Oh."

OUDoc
1/15/2010, 10:40 AM
i think tinker just experienced a couple in the last hour. anyone else feel it? i thought my building was hit

I felt it at my office on S. Douglas.

Jello Biafra
1/15/2010, 10:42 AM
I felt it at my office on S. Douglas.

yup...

right down the street

im across from the base gas station. i thought it blew up lol

has my agent orange actin up

OUDoc
1/15/2010, 10:47 AM
I felt one at my desk while sitting then heard the ceiling tiles rattle about 10-15 minutes after that while I was standing.
I've never noticed an earthquake before but figured that's what it had to be.

Jello Biafra
1/15/2010, 10:48 AM
I felt one at my desk while sitting then heard the ceiling tiles rattle about 10-15 minutes after that while I was standing.
I've never noticed an earthquake before but figured that's what it had to be.

wife says chanel 4 is reporting 2 of them 10 mins apart...wonder where the epicenter was...

Boomer.....
1/15/2010, 10:53 AM
Our 3-story office building shook about 20 minutes ago. We are near I-240 and Western in south OKC.

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2010, 10:57 AM
38 minutes ago, just north of Choctaw.

That's pretty impressive for these parts.

Jello Biafra
1/15/2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/

nice considering i don't THINK we have a fault line in/around oklahoma. any geology students?

Lott's Bandana
1/15/2010, 11:05 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=35.5917,-97.2581%28M4.0+-+Oklahoma+-+2010+January+15+15:18:25+UTC%29&t=h&z=8&iwloc=A

Something called the Russian Fault here.

Interesting that the University picked up the Haiti earthquake the other day on their seismographs...

SteelClip49
1/15/2010, 11:12 AM
Yep...just felt it here at the OUHSC...man.

yermom
1/15/2010, 12:11 PM

nice considering i don't THINK we have a fault line in/around oklahoma. any geology students?

it's just really deep underground

we have them a few times a year it seems

4.0 seems higher than normal though, but i don't remember, really

Boomer.....
1/15/2010, 12:56 PM
4.0 is really high for Oklahoma, I think. Normally it is around 3.0 or below.

silverwheels
1/15/2010, 02:48 PM
I lived in San Francisco during the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 89. I was only 3, though.

Petro-Sooner
1/15/2010, 03:28 PM

There are many many faults in Oklahoma. Southern part of the state is busted all to pieces. Most are just not active. No major fault line though.

Theskipster
1/15/2010, 04:04 PM
Interesting that the University picked up the Haiti earthquake the other day on their seismographs...

Earthquakes around 4.6 or more can be picked up anywhere in the world by seismographs unless the sensor is in the seismic shadow.

Theskipster
1/15/2010, 04:09 PM
There are many many faults in Oklahoma. Southern part of the state is busted all to pieces. Most are just not active. No major fault line though.

The only surface fault younger than 1.6 million years old is the meers fault in Southwest OK.

http://www.theskipster.com/images/soklahomafault.jpg

Partial Qualifier
1/15/2010, 04:13 PM
wife says chanel 4 is reporting 2 of them 10 mins apart...wonder where the epicenter was...

38 minutes ago, just north of Choctaw.

That's pretty impressive for these parts.

sorry guys; I ate at Ted's last night. :O

IronHorseSooner
1/16/2010, 10:00 AM
I was at Ft. Lewis in 2000 when they had a big earthquake in the Seattle-Tacoma area. I was about 5 miles from the epicenter, and thought that my the axles on my car had snapped. Western Washington is another area where there are both active fault lines (Juan De Fuca and the Pacific Plates), and volcanic activity with Rainier, St. Helen's, Adams, and Baker.

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2010, 10:12 AM
I was at Ft. Lewis in 2000 when they had a big earthquake in the Seattle-Tacoma area. I was about 5 miles from the epicenter, and thought that my the axles on my car had snapped. Western Washington is another area where there are both active fault lines (Juan De Fuca and the Pacific Plates), and volcanic activity with Rainier, St. Helen's, Adams, and Baker.

That one was a doozy. Some of the roads in Olympia still haven't reopened.

Flagstaffsooner
1/16/2010, 11:22 AM
Our 3-story office building shook about 20 minutes ago. We are near I-240 and Western in south OKC.
That wasnt a quake. Mark Mangino is in town and just rolled out of bed:O

LosAngelesSooner
1/16/2010, 12:18 PM
I've been in a few of 'em.

Say what you will about "massive government red tape" and bureaucracy, but the stringent building codes we have in California are ALL that keep this entire state from lookin' like Haiti after a big one.

LosAngelesSooner
1/16/2010, 12:24 PM
The scariest one I was ever involved in was neither the largest nor the longest (sex joke...sex joke).

I was in the crawl space under my house running surround sound speaker wire and down the center line of the building was a solid wall of concrete. To get to the other side of the crawl space, you had to crawl down, in a tunnel/hole that ran beneath the center line wall and then back up, bending your body like a pretzel in order to reach the other side. I was in this tiny hole, beneath the entire two-story structure when a 5.4 quake hit directly beneath my neighborhood. The entire building felt like it jumped two feet in the air and came back down as if God had stomped his foot on the ground ala Monty Python cartoon-style.

I shat my britches...I kid you not.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/16/2010, 01:04 PM
I was about 80 miles from the epicenter of the Quake of 89 in California.

I was attending a meeting, sitting at a conference table.

It was like sitting in a small boat and you're rocked by the waves from a larger boat which passed by.

apusooner
1/16/2010, 01:36 PM
the first quake i felt (5.3 i think), i was on the third floor of a building practicing my trumpet. felt like my chair turned into a jackhammer. not conducive for a good sound. plus a piano almost tipped over. the second one (4.7), i was on the 16th floor of a hotel in downtown san fransisco. the hotel swayed back and forth for a few minutes. it seemed like we were swaying pretty far, but i bet you couldn't tell from outside. it was violent enough that i had to brace myself from sliding across the floor though. felt kinda like riding the pirate ship at frontier city. 10 minutes later, we were on the bay bridge to oakland in a traffic jam. that was one of the longest hours of my life, i thought there was going to be an another one. you wouldn't have been able to shove a greased bb up my hole.

GKeeper316
1/16/2010, 04:36 PM
Btw...what is up with these fairly frequent quakes in Oklahoma? Is it a sign?

oklahoma has more earthquakes than any other place in the world... most of them are either too small too deep in the groud to be felt.

but i was in the marines in socal in the early 90s... theres really nothing like feeling the floor of your barracks move around like its sitting on top of quicksand.