PDA

View Full Version : How much improved will OU be next season ?

boomermagic
1/13/2010, 04:32 PM
I say we have a shot at the conference Championship.. But, I always think that.. Who knows? We could win em all..:)

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 04:54 PM
The conference will be way down because

*Texas loses Colt and Shipley and a lot of their front 7 and now Earl Thomas too. Texas will still be good but you gotta like our chances with what we return vs what they return.

*OSU loses a ton on offense with Zac Robinson, and they lose a lot on a pretty decent defense

*Tech loses Leach that's enough for them to be a little down alone.

*A&M should be a little better but we beat them 65-10 or whatever it was this year. Even though they put numbers all year and had the best offense in the conference, I don't see them doing that against us.

*Our north schedule next year is Colorado, @ Missouri, and ISU, Missouri won't be easy but we should beat CU and ISU easily.

We should be at worst neck and neck with Texas and we have a QB with more experience.

KantoSooner
1/13/2010, 05:10 PM
key game may well be Cincy

rawlingsHOH
1/13/2010, 05:10 PM
Offense should be improved significantly. Defense probably won't be quite as good.

Collier11
1/13/2010, 05:23 PM
Hard to tell in Jan but at this point if Lewis and Beal come back the D will be Top 10 again most likely. The off should be really good but only if the Oline figures out what the hell they are doing

soonerboy_odanorth
1/13/2010, 05:34 PM
2 game improvement... 10-3. I'll be surprised if it is any better, not surprised if it is a little worse (9-4). We lose our 2 best o-linemen and our defensive anchors (McCoy, Reynolds, and Franks). We could end up pretty gutted if Murray, Beal, and Lewis all declare. But even then we won't be nearly as inexperienced as we were this year.

Collier11
1/13/2010, 05:45 PM
With our schedule I would say anywhere from 10-3 to 11-2 would be what I would expect, anything better would be amazing and anything worse would be a disappointment for me

meoveryouxinfinity
1/13/2010, 05:47 PM
Well, if you go on W/L record, hopefully a bunch. Of course, we play in Cinci early in the year, our first real test. I think we have a pretty good shot at blowing this game. Why? Our road woes through the last couple years. *IF* we take care of business, I think it will show a lot about the team..we could be on the road to another Big XII South championship. But, as I said, I almost kinda expect us to lose. The offense will have time to heal, and if they do, we have more than a shot in this game. I'm just glad M. Gillyard and Brian Kelley are gone.
I don't think we lose to Florida State, although I think it will be a closer game than most believe. The home field advantage will give us a 10 or so point edge. We win by 17 but the game isn't over until the 4th q.
I think we cruise into Texas. Who really knows how that game will turn out. This game is basically a MUST WIN for Bob's reputation. Until next year, that is.
We should have little-no problem with ISU, Missouri, and Colorado. If this team doesn't suffer injuries or have focus problems, book those as wins.
Texas A&M is supposedly improving. If we walk into Aggieland with the pressure on (Texas A&M is undefeated or near it), I think we lose. However, I don't think they will be too much improved (Jerrod Johnson is good, but still makes stupid mistakes at stupid times) from this year.
We shouldn't lose to TTech, another "revenge" game.
Baylor is Baylor. Sorry SicEm go ahead and neg me.
And we finish off the year at OSU. They should be better by the end of the year, but so should we. If the season goes as I suspect, we will enter the game vying for a Big XII South title.. I think OSU's offense will suffer this year but will probably be pretty good come Thanksgiving. Just based on what they have now and what we have now, and the fact that we haven't lost in Stillwater since 2002, I think we win.

optimistic: 11-1 or 12-0, Big XII South Champs
very attainable: 10-2 or 9-3, Big XII South Runner Ups
the season will be a megafail: 8-4 or 7-5

Cincinnati will set the stage for the season.

goingoneight
1/13/2010, 06:01 PM
Getting numbers and experience back on the OL's depth chart is a positive, along with added JUCO help.

WR corps still hasn't adjusted to life without Gresham completely. They are looking better than a year ago, though... not knowing who besides Gresh and Broyles could catch a ball.

Jones should improve based on experience and talent returning around him as well as his own battlefield experience.

We're still riding a big-time home field advantage, and I doubt rebuilding FSU, Colorado or Tech will change that.

Who knows what happens, honestly? We could be solid on offense, but one missed block and we could be breaking in a new QB. One violent collision and any one of the back 7 could be out with a green n00b trying to fill in ala Brandon Crow.

Speaking of the D... we lost a lot of very talented and experienced personnel that allowed us to do more than just your standard 4-3-4 stuff this year. You have to account for n00bs being out of position and/or not being conditioned in the manner that a seasoned-veteran would be... and all it takes is one play to change everything.

Looks a lot less top-heavy a team than it way a year ago in terms of the depth chart, but an oppurtunity to improve, nevertheless. I won't be shocked if we win the BIG 12, I won't be shocked if two or three teams beat us.

The Way-Too-Early Prediction:

Watch out for Calleros and Cincinnati, Texas (who's won 4 out of the last 5 against us), Texas A&M (road game against an elite offense reminds me of Tech '09), and as usual when we play there... Okie Light. They may very well not even win 6 games next year, but you know they'll give us a run for our money in Stoolwater.

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 06:09 PM
I think we win the South if we got 11-2 or maybe 10-3. Don't know if we will be good enough to beat Nebraska next year, they should be the favorites to win the Big 12.

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 06:28 PM
i like OUr chances against anybody, if its the big 12 championship

MamaMia
1/13/2010, 06:36 PM
I think we win out.

cvsooner
1/13/2010, 07:56 PM
Florida State at home will be tough. Finally it's Jimbo Fisher's team fer reals...and a new defensive coordinator will make things interesting. I think it'll be a squeaker.

Don't overlook Air Force, either. Early season contest in Norman against a very good football team could prove problematic. I'm glad it's in Norman.

Cincy...loses a lot, and not just its head coach. Fortunately it will be early, but they're a dangerous opponent. I wouldn't be surprised to lose this one. Hopefully not.

I think we beat Texas this time. It's our turn at bat and I think we'll have the better team, at least as it looks right now. Baylor will be tough on the road with Griffin back. Might be a game we look pretty bad in, but I think we win.

Missouri could be trouble, too. Iowa State...meh, not so much. Colorado is in Norman, correct? I just don't think Hawkins is a very good coach. I think we win that one fairly easily.

A & M is always tough in College Station. Wouldn't be surprised at an upset, though I think we're favored going in. OSewe we will clobber, most likely, even in Stoolwater. Tech will be in Norman. Welcome to Owen Field, Tuberville.

I think, offhand, we're at 10-2 and win the South. Big 12 championship against Nebraska...could go either way. Best case, we stay undefeated, but we seem to be good for at least one loss in a season, as just about everybody is anymore.

rawlingsHOH
1/13/2010, 11:29 PM
2 game improvement... 10-3. I'll be surprised if it is any better, not surprised if it is a little worse (9-4). We lose our 2 best o-linemen and our defensive anchors (McCoy, Reynolds, and Franks). We could end up pretty gutted if Murray, Beal, and Lewis all declare. But even then we won't be nearly as inexperienced as we were this year.

I'm convinced that won't be a factor. As the same happened after the '01 and '05 seasons (the other years we played a lot of freshman), and we improved significantly the following seasons.

delhalew
1/13/2010, 11:32 PM
I've decided I may be incapable of objectively analyzing such a thing.

So I say we win the Big 12 and go to Glendale...whooo haa!

Collier11
1/13/2010, 11:35 PM
Oh great, Glendale

delhalew
1/13/2010, 11:41 PM
Oh great, Glendale

Hush you!
;)

TahoeSOONER
1/13/2010, 11:49 PM
Air Force and Cincy will not be gimmes and this team has got to play better on the road.

Defense should be good.

I'm still looking for the run game and it's starts up front with this young Oline that needs to develop.

Landry will be a good one IMHO.

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 11:55 PM
The good thing about all these injuries is that a lot of linemen got playing time.

stoopified
1/14/2010, 05:48 AM
I'm thinking 10-3(better would be nice).

soonerfromgeorgia
1/14/2010, 06:10 AM
I live 35 miles from Florida State University and they have no doubts that they'll roll out of Norman with a win !

Jacie
1/14/2010, 07:13 AM
Sign of the times: a year ago the predictions were 13-0, 12-1 . . .

oudavid1
1/14/2010, 07:47 AM
I live 35 miles from Florida State University and they have no doubts that they'll roll out of Norman with a win !

Joke!

soonerfromgeorgia
1/14/2010, 08:44 AM

*Texas loses Colt and Shipley and a lot of their front 7 and now Earl Thomas too. Texas will still be good but you gotta like our chances with what we return vs what they return.

*OSU loses a ton on offense with Zac Robinson, and they lose a lot on a pretty decent defense

*A&M should be a little better but we beat them 65-10 or whatever it was this year. Even though they put numbers all year and had the best offense in the conference, I don't see them doing that against us.

*Our north schedule next year is Colorado, @ Missouri, and ISU, Missouri won't be easy but we should beat CU and ISU easily.

We should be at worst neck and neck with Texas and we have a QB with more experience.

You really didn't answer the question, you gave reasons why the schedule should be easier :pop: Basically the sooners could be about the same or a little worse, but have a better record based on the above. :confused:

TXBOOMER
1/14/2010, 09:22 AM
I'm thinking 10-3(better would be nice).

I'm thinking that 10 - 3 is reality. Too many O Line and skill positions question on Offense. D won't be as good as this past year (McCoy, Clayton, Rynolds, Jackson, Franks maybe Taylor due to injury). Field Goals will once again be a crap shoot. I think we will be a solid top 20 team but don't believe we will be all the way back.

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2010, 10:32 AM
Next season looks to be a 'tweener year - not total rebuilding, but not totally built. If the '10 incoming class turns out to be as talented as it appears, '11 and '12 could be very special teams.

VA Sooner
1/14/2010, 11:03 AM
Beat Texas and I'm happy.

Win Big 12 Championship, and I'm ecstatic. I see us at 12-1 or 11-2 before the Big 12 game.

ndpruitt03
1/14/2010, 11:10 AM
We'll be better next year than we were this year.

Our line will be better just because of the experience it gained from this year with all the guys that played. I doubt we have that many injuries again. Looks like Murray will be back. Our top receivers in Miller and Broyles are really good.We just need complimentary guys to develop.

Defense loses some key guys but it returns a lot of key guys also. LBs will be amazing with Ronnell, Travis Lewis, Box, Wort, and Iboloye will play there some. Q, Carter was really solid last year and so was Nelson. I liked how Hurst played against Stanford. We also have some of the best defensive ends in the country. DT is the biggest question mark on defense.

Barring having 80 injuries next year we shouldn't be any worse than 11-2 going into the Big 12 Championship. We could end up with 11-4 record after the bowl with how this team loses big games.

gaylordfan1
1/14/2010, 11:27 AM
We will be better! I doubt we would decline from last year. You can bet Patton and the rest of the coaches will focus HARD on the line this spring and summer... not taking anything for granted and push them and mold them to do what needs to be done! The defense will be really good... maybe not as solid as this year but solid to say the least. I do think losing Franks kinda screwed things up. Experience at that positon is big. Looks to be Nelson and Hurst taking over the job.

Collier11
1/14/2010, 01:26 PM

just like they think they will compete for the acc every yr when lately all they have been competing for are 7-6 seasons...none of us even know if Jimbo can coach

TXBOOMER
1/14/2010, 04:43 PM
just like they think they will compete for the acc every yr when lately all they have been competing for are 7-6 seasons...none of us even know if Jimbo can coach

It wouldn't surprise me if we lose this game, nor would I be surprised if we give them a beat down.

ndpruitt03
1/14/2010, 04:51 PM
You really didn't answer the question, you gave reasons why the schedule should be easier :pop: Basically the sooners could be about the same or a little worse, but have a better record based on the above. :confused:

I don't know if we'll be a lot better team we'll be about the same, but the schedule is much easier. We also won't have about 80 injuries so that will help.

Collier11
1/14/2010, 05:02 PM
^ This is dumb...Stoops teams always seem to get better, I would put my money on Stoops

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 05:15 PM
we arguably have the best QB and WR in the big 12..

we better learn to run block

meoveryouxinfinity
1/14/2010, 05:24 PM
All you can really do right now is analyze the schedule. At this point last year our only worry was a slightly- depleted o-line. There will probably be some mildly significant injuries in the offseason. Someone might be suspended, etc. But based on what we have now and what the opposition has now, I'd say we have a pretty good chance of going 10-2.

I really think Cincinnati will beat us. Do we have the leadership to go in there early in the season and beat them? I don't think so.

Going into Texas, I think we will out-coach them for the first year in 5 years. Like I said, Bob HAS to win this game. I think we will be better than them. Our defense will have to outplay the Texas offense.

I think we have a slight chance of losing to Texas A&M and an ever slighter chance of losing to OSU. OSU just won't be very good even if they play us tough. Texas A&M will (usually) always be tough in College Station. I think this game will be tougher than OSU because Johnson is going to be a junior with 2 years of starting experience behind him.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/14/2010, 05:28 PM
Florida State at home will be tough. Finally it's Jimbo Fisher's team fer reals...and a new defensive coordinator will make things interesting. I think it'll be a squeaker.

That new defensive coordinator's name is Mark Stoops.

Interesting, indeed.

Collier11
1/14/2010, 05:30 PM
All you can really do right now is analyze the schedule. At this point last year our only worry was a slightly- depleted o-line. There will probably be some mildly significant injuries in the offseason. Someone might be suspended, etc. But based on what we have now and what the opposition has now, I'd say we have a pretty good chance of going 10-2.

I really think Cincinnati will beat us. Do we have the leadership to go in there early in the season and beat them? I don't think so.

Going into Texas, I think we will out-coach them for the first year in 5 years. Like I said, Bob HAS to win this game. I think we will be better than them. Our defense will have to outplay the Texas offense.

I think we have a slight chance of losing to Texas A&M and an ever slighter chance of losing to OSU. OSU just won't be very good even if they play us tough. Texas A&M will (usually) always be tough in College Station. I think this game will be tougher than OSU because Johnson is going to be a junior with 2 years of starting experience behind him.

The only thing I would disagree about is the texas statement, I think Stoops outcoached Brown and co. last yr for the 1st time in several yrs, we just didnt have the hosses to pull it out

fwsooner22
1/14/2010, 05:34 PM
Offensive Line......Offensive Line.......Offensive Line

We have to be able to run the ball.......Period

SCxxSOONER
1/14/2010, 05:34 PM
Better for sure, w/ a year under his belt Landry will be better and O line will be better hoping the run game will reemerge. With a lot of young kids with bright futures on D( Lewis, hurst, trice, king, washington, mcfarland, etc.)I think we'll be okD wont be as strong but should be very solid, and hopefully they can work the kicking thing out at least somewhat better.

Collier11
1/14/2010, 05:35 PM
The key to the OL statement is that we have to be able to run the ball in key situations. Even two years ago when Brown and Murray both had 1000 yd seasons we couldnt get a tough 1 or 2 yds. Last yr we couldnt get a tough 1 yd against Idaho st...our Oline needs lots of run blocking work

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 05:39 PM
so we leaving on a Thursday for Cincy?

Collier11
1/14/2010, 05:43 PM
Next Thur, Im down

SoonerMom2
1/14/2010, 06:07 PM

Bowden hasn't really coached in the last few years so it is safe to assume that Jimbo was the one running the team and frankly they were not even a little impressive.

SoonerMom2
1/14/2010, 06:20 PM
The key to the OL IMHO is having the same people in place game after game not having to substitute because of injuries. Did we even have two games in a row with the same OL starting? I don't think so.

As for Cincy, they were not a whole lot different then the team that came into Norman except some of the Big East schools were down. The game against Pitt they got the breaks from the striped guys.

We are going to the game. I originally come from Ohio, but I would put money on the Sooners at Cincy after the way they performed against Stanford. All you had to do was look at how many of our guys were not dressed for the game to know next year will be better. This is not Cincy's home stadium but the Paul J Brown stadium for the Sooners game as UC is in a crappy area of Cincy. Their stadium seats about 35,000 thus the move to Paul J Brown stadium for the Sooners.

Would be a great road trip and we need to take plenty of fans to turn the stadium into at least equal. It is not a bad drive to Cincy from Norman. One caution if you take I-70, the Highway Patrol starts cracking down at the IL border and then in IN, they lie in wait to pick up speeders. Driven it often and have to remember to go down to 65 mph and not get picked up. Out of Indy you can cut down to Cincy.

ndpruitt03
1/14/2010, 06:25 PM
^ This is dumb...Stoops teams always seem to get better, I would put my money on Stoops

I don't know if we got any better this year but we had so many injuries and we never adjusted to some of them. I don't know if we've been better as the year goes in Stoops' era some of our biggest losses have been near the end of the year.

MR2-Sooner86
1/14/2010, 10:52 PM

The problems I see is their QB can really dance around in the pocket from what I saw in their bowl game. If we let him run around it'll be a long day. They seem to be only so so in the pass.

Collier11
1/15/2010, 12:40 AM
I don't know if we got any better this year but we had so many injuries and we never adjusted to some of them. I don't know if we've been better as the year goes in Stoops' era some of our biggest losses have been near the end of the year.

Its hard to adjust to losing not only the amount of starters we lost but the quality, you take away 3 OL and Mccoy for the season and Shipley for 2 games and ut loses several games.

We ended the season by beating two ranked teams, that is a sign that we got better despite everything

huskerland
1/16/2010, 01:08 PM

We should be at worst neck and neck with Texas and we have a QB with more experience.*Our north schedule next year is Colorado, @ Missouri, and ISU, Missouri won't be easy but we should beat CU and ISU easily Add misery to that prediction! (Missouri/ OU no problem for OU!) I think OU will be much improved and will have no problem with the Horns! McCoy gone, says enough! I'm looking forward to an OU/ NU title game! The Huskers should show an improvement on offense and are seething for another shot at those guys/UT after that one second farce of last year/ 09. UT could have more than one loss next year

Blues1
1/16/2010, 01:23 PM
mho - 2010 - We will be 12 and 0 going into The Big12 Champ Game -
What happens there vs Nebraksa ....?

Keep R'

DenverSooner751
1/16/2010, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't write off CU so quickly. I am confident that OU will beat them next year but at some point they're going to break out a bit (granted, breaking out for them could mean 7-4).

Now that there has been a QB shift in Boulder and Hawkins basically fighting for his job this coming season, the potential exists for CU to shake things up a bit. I hope NOT because honestly I get tired of all the CU pukes here in Denver.....they're generally speaking not very football intelligent.

Blues1 - I hope you are right with that 12-0 prediction. It sure would make for a fun season if OU/NU could meet in the CCG, each with 10-11+ wins would be great.

icmwhOU72
1/16/2010, 06:04 PM
I think we will be a lot better this year. Competition makes everyone better and we are bringing in at least five o linement in this class. I know they are freshman, but if they can push the starters to make them better then that is good. You guys talk about our defense like we are losing some big time talent. I believe that McCoy and Jackson will be the hardest to replace, but i think that ronnell is an upgrade in athletic ability and tackling over Clayton and the same can be said for Wort. All wort has to do is prove that he can handle the Mike position mentally and we will be great at LB. our biggest problem could be our inexperience we could be starting up to six true freshman, rs fresh, and true sophs on our d alone next year. I just hope that bob opens every position this offseason and if a freshman out works a senior in practice, then the fresman should get a shot to be the starter. I predict 12-2 season with us representing the big 12 in the fiesta. there will not be two big 12 teams in the bcs this year

ousooners182
1/16/2010, 09:08 PM
getting beal and lewis back were huge on the last day..that makes me jump from a 9-4 10-3 guess to 11-2. But still main thing will be if our line can block good enough to get us 2-3 yards on a short 3rd down.

I say we drop on the road at cincy (Do our road woes continue), beat texas, but drop one prob at a&m.(Always close in college station)

Then we beat Nebraska for Big 12 championship and beat Boise State in the fiesta bowl.

mark it down!

ndpruitt03
1/16/2010, 10:41 PM
If Boise goes undefeated they will probably be in the NC game if they start top 5. If they lose a game I'm not sure if they make a BCS game.

TexasLidig8r
1/18/2010, 11:44 AM
I think OU will be much improved and will have no problem with the Horns! McCoy gone, says enough! ... UT could have more than one loss next year

If you think Ou will have "no problem" with Texas next year, you either don't know or don't follow college football or can't objectively look at your own team.

Texas' defense is going to be, once again, very strong. Kindle and Houston are gone, Muckleroy and Thomas are gone, but a lot of kids were cycled in and out the entire year. The Achos, Okafor, Eddie Jones and a very strong secondary is going to keep Texas in every game next year.

Yes, offensively, we will struggle. Replacing three offensive linemen (although with better athletes,... the continuity will not be there and will take awhile to evolve).. Colt and Shipley will be huge losses and the loss of Buckner is big too. However, the offense is likely to evolve into more of a vertical passing game to take advantage of Gilbert's stronger arm.

On Ou's side, you lost some HUGE playmakers on defense and certainly your team this past year, (whose defense I believe was stronger than Alabama's)... will be much stronger defensively than your team this next year.

Offense,.. how will your offensive line hold up? Your injuries from this past year resulted in a total lack of continuity going into this next year. Gresham and Sam will be tough to replace.

RR Shootout will be a toss up.

oh.. and I do see my Texas team losing 2 to 3 games next year and going to the Cotton Bowl.

StoopTroup
1/18/2010, 12:16 PM
oh.. and I do see my Texas team losing 2 to 3 games next year and going to the Cotton Bowl.

What's funny is you seem to think one of those two to three losses will come from either 2 to 3 other Big XII Teams on your schedule like +exas tech, Okie st., tamu, iowa st., baylor or k-state. Yeah one of them will be from Nebraska is my guess. I guess the other two will be from Rice. Florida Atlantic, Wyoming(in austin), UCLA (in austin) or whatever mack decides to fill the open date on 10/09/10 with....lol

You just can't doubt the FOUR TIME NATIONAL CHUMPIONSHIP WINNAS *....lol

Four? You guys did really learn a thing or two from Bama...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/

I'd scratch that Big XII Championship date off your schedule if I were you.

BillyBall
1/18/2010, 12:17 PM
Gresham and Sam will be tough to replace.

We know, we call that week 1 of the '09 season...

TexasLidig8r
1/18/2010, 12:51 PM
What's funny is you seem to think one of those two to three losses will come from either 2 to 3 other Big XII Teams on your schedule like +exas tech, Okie st., tamu, iowa st., baylor or k-state. Yeah one of them will be from Nebraska is my guess. I guess the other two will be from Rice. Florida Atlantic, Wyoming(in austin), UCLA (in austin) or whatever mack decides to fill the open date on 10/09/10 with....lol

You just can't doubt the FOUR TIME NATIONAL CHUMPIONSHIP WINNAS *....lol

Four? You guys did really learn a thing or two from Bama...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/

I'd scratch that Big XII Championship date off your schedule if I were you.

Hitting the sauce already today?

Did I say I had the Big XII Championship date on my schedule? It wasn't even implied.

As for Nebraska... they lose a lot on defense and despite what they showed against Arizona, their offense leaves much to be desired. But, they do play well at home. Yes.. Nebraska could be a loss.

As could Ou...

As for national championship.. with your history of probations, not playing in bowls and still claiming a MNC.. do you really want to go down that path?

MiccoMacey
1/18/2010, 01:01 PM
Lid,

It's the RRS...things that shouldn't happen, do. See this year...no way that we stay within three of you guys once Bradford went down. But we did.

In theory, I honestly believe we will beat you guys by ten. Our losses aren't nearly as bad as your losses.

In reality, it'll be a crap-shoot again, like it almost always is. Both teams have enough question marks of their own for any one team to say with 100% certainty they'll win.

But if someone said pick a team, I'd have to (objectively) go with OU.

JLEW1818
1/18/2010, 01:03 PM
i think the game will be 2002 or 2007 ish.