PDA

View Full Version : Muschamp to Tennessee? Rumors flying!!!

SunnySooner
1/12/2010, 11:08 PM
http://forums.gatorsports.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3691038186/m/9121055859/r/2241045859

Supposedly going on right now, guess we'll know for sure soon enough. Dude must really love orange.

bluedogok
1/12/2010, 11:16 PM
Nah...I think he prefers green....just like his mentor Saban.

Tigeman
1/13/2010, 12:00 AM
You should see shaggybevo and the other * sites. Rumors are flying that it's a done deal and hashing out a price, w/ an announcement to come in the next 18 hours.

I was waiting to see the Stoops to UT rumors myself! LOL

SunnySooner
1/13/2010, 12:09 AM
ESPN just reported that Muschamp is their guy, they're trying to work out the details, can't say I'd be sad to see him go!!!

S008NER
1/13/2010, 12:09 AM
Brown is not likely to leave soon, he might want to take this one

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:20 AM
lol please god!!

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:28 AM
idk what i want more... Chris Bosh to Houston... or Will Muschamp to leave texas

AzianSooner
1/13/2010, 12:41 AM
I want the dude to stay.... at least until the Big Head finds out the way to beat that dude in RRS.

It will make OU offense stronger.

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/91947-muschamp-hold-press-conference-tomorrow-morning.html

Tigeman
1/13/2010, 12:49 AM
how in the world is anyone getting into volnation? I haven't been able to get in for the last 3-4 hours.

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:50 AM
heheh. keep trying!

Tigeman
1/13/2010, 12:56 AM
Guess they're all out rioting now instead of crashing the servers, as I can get in now! LOL

The SC servers crashed earlier too...lol. Hoping the TX site servers crash tomorrow! ;)

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:57 AM
yep, i hope he jumps to Knoxville

ouduckhunter
1/13/2010, 01:04 AM
Man, the college football world has gone crazy!

The idiots at ESpin need to bring in a bracketology or a checkers expert to keep track of where everbody moved to in the past 48 hours.

Tigeman
1/13/2010, 01:07 AM
Just think of it as the day before BCS rankings or the bowl selection special! LOL

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 01:07 AM
Tigeman... make Muschamp to Texas come true please!!

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 01:09 AM
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2010/1/12/1248738/will-muschamp-to-tennessee

tommieharris91
1/13/2010, 01:12 AM
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2010/1/12/1248738/will-muschamp-to-tennessee

Start them Stoops to Tennessee rumors again!!

sooner59
1/13/2010, 01:14 AM
Its fun to watch the whorns squirm either way.

GKeeper316
2010... the year the offseason was more fun!

this is some good funny.

JLEW1818
u start the thread, and I'll make it famous!

SunnySooner
1/13/2010, 01:15 AM
2010... the year the offseason was more fun!

this is some good funny.

no kiddin'!!:D :D :D :D :D

oudavid1
1/13/2010, 01:24 AM
no kiddin'!!:D :D :D :D :D

No injuries either, just alot of rioting!

Tigeman
1/13/2010, 01:26 AM
Tigeman... make Muschamp to Texas come true please!!

Guess I did a pretty good job, b/c he's already there ;)

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 02:05 AM
so supposedly he has a press conference tomorrow...

any word on what time?? or if this is even existent

yankee
1/13/2010, 02:09 AM
would love nothing more than this. first, because he's a damn good defensive coordinatior/recruiter and would not like to see him as coach. second, because ut fans love him, and have this lame *** "BOOM M'FER" picture they post all the time with him in it.

SunnySooner
1/13/2010, 02:37 AM
I saw 10 a.m. central for the PC. Do you have a PC to say you're staying? IDK.

sooner59
1/13/2010, 02:49 AM
I just want to go on record that the Tennessee message board offered me a 5 year contract to be the one guy that hasn't lost his f***ing mind on their board.

I have turned them down to stay with SF. My heart is with this school and this team and I plan on staying here as long as they will have me. I am optimistic about this recruiting class, and I see many more great years here and championships to come.

God bless.

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2010, 06:43 AM
Mushcamp makes $900 k a yr as the DC at uteras...Kiffen made $2.75 million...hmmm

Smack's contract is good through 2016...wait 6 yrs to be a HC for uteras or be a HC TODAY at Tennessee...hmmmm

Seems pretty cut and dry to me

sooneredaco
1/13/2010, 08:29 AM
Wonder if Smack Brown would consider spliting his check with him.... :-)

OUinFLA
1/13/2010, 09:00 AM
orange is still orange, no matter where you see it or put it on.

BigTime1
1/13/2010, 09:32 AM
If there is a 10am press conference scheduled any idea of a site it might be broadcast through?

sooner518
1/13/2010, 09:41 AM
Hornfans has a funny thread on this. With all the credit they;ve heaped on Mack, they seem downright horrified at the prospect of Muschamp leaving. I think they know that Muschamp is the brains behind the whorns beating us the past few years.

I would love to see him leave, but I get the feeling he wont. No rationale behind that feeling though

soonerlaw
1/13/2010, 09:46 AM
Tebow Loses, Tebow goen
Meyer semi Retires
Brian Kelly leaves Cincy
Leach gone
Bowden gone
Mack Loses MNC
Colt loses MNC, Colt, Shipley gone
Pete gone from USC

If Moosechamp would leave, man, that would be like fate removing most of the obstacles for OU to win the MNC next year. Its time we had a little luck after all those injuries.

OUDoc
1/13/2010, 10:08 AM
He interviewed for the Tennessee job before it was given to Kiffin, and if he didn't want it a year ago it probably doesn't look much better now.
I can agree with this.

But Texas is coming off another BCS title game appearance, and has the pieces in place for another strong run next year.

But I can't agree with this. texas will graduate something like ...oh, ALL of it's offense from 2009 in McCoy and Shipley, but they are primed for another run?

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2010/01/tennessees-wish-list-starts-with-muschamp.html

OUmillenium
1/13/2010, 10:09 AM
Bradford returns

would be a great addition to the above list by soonerlaw

Sooner24
1/13/2010, 10:15 AM
Tebow Loses, Tebow goen
Meyer semi Retires
Brian Kelly leaves Cincy
Leach gone
Bowden gone
Mack Loses MNC
Colt loses MNC, Colt, Shipley gone
Pete gone from USC

If Moosechamp would leave, man, that would be like fate removing most of the obstacles for OU to win the MNC next year. Its time we had a little luck after all those injuries.

You forgot Mangino.

fwsooner22
1/13/2010, 10:21 AM
Why would you stay at ** . Year after year making 1/3 what you could make somewhere else. If he stays they will have to double his salary. That will make all the liberal profs crazy in Austin. This is GREAT !!!

TXBOOMER
1/13/2010, 11:13 AM
Why would you stay at ** . Year after year making 1/3 what you could make somewhere else. If he stays they will have to double his salary. That will make all the liberal profs crazy in Austin. This is GREAT !!!

He will only stay if he is addicted to the pu$$ and pot.

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 11:38 AM
Muschamp is staying at Texas.

E-Town
1/13/2010, 11:43 AM
Bradford returns

would be a great addition to the above list by soonerlaw

It would be the "greatest" addition...:D

achiro
1/13/2010, 11:45 AM
Muschamp is staying at Texas.

Is this an opinion or something you've read/heard?

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 11:47 AM
Is this an opinion or something you've read/heard?

According to Vols boards

Link (http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/91947-muschamp-hold-press-conference-tomorrow-morning-23.html)

UTgolfer
1/13/2010, 12:07 PM
Per the AAS, no news regarding Muschamp and the Tennessee AD is having a press conference at noon. I'd be surprised if he leaves Austin.

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 12:10 PM
http://texas.rivals.com/

delhalew
1/13/2010, 12:12 PM
Texas doesn't need a coach in waiting. Muschamp can take the Tenn job if Mack is going to hang around a few years and move to Texas when the job opens.
I believe if Muschamp stays at Texas, its because mack is on his way out soon.

Sooner in Tampa
1/13/2010, 12:12 PM
IF Muschamp doesn't leave for this job...he ain't the brighest bulb in the lot.

It's a SIGNIFICANT pay raise, promotion, and a arguably a top 15 program given the facilities, fanbase, and resources.

I just can't see waiting around 6 more yrs just see if smack is gonna retire then...and even if smack assures him not that he will retire in 6 yrs...what is to say that he won't change his mind?

BoomerSooner88
1/13/2010, 12:14 PM
Damn it!!

kingsby
1/13/2010, 12:18 PM
Wheeew I was worried there that Vols might take a run at Venebales ?

FaninAma
1/13/2010, 12:22 PM
Texas' sheer panic at the thought of losing Muschamp would indicate that the horn's athletic department is terrified at the thought of having Mack Brown get reinvolved with any significant coaching or hiring decisions.

Mack is a figurehead and decent recruiter. He does not make any of the important decisions. He is the good ol' boy, down-home face the AD wants for the program. He is Bobby Bowden without the senility.

fwsooner22
1/13/2010, 12:36 PM
So Mack is a "DECENT" recruiter ?

He may well be the best in the country.

He kicks our butt almost every time and I hate it but give the man his due. If he is decent then Bob is less than decent and that is wrong too.

fwsooner22
1/13/2010, 12:38 PM
Orangebloods says its not happening........Well that's it.......written in stone....what in the H do you expect them to say.......

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 12:38 PM
We have basically given up getting the best players in Texas anymore. OU basically has to recruit all over the country to make up for not getting Texas players.

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:41 PM
well, we got three 5 star recruits from texas in the 2008 class..

last year we got McFarland

BigTime1
1/13/2010, 12:41 PM
Well you know Muschamp is gotta be gettin plenty under the table. I dont see anybody turning down 2 or 3 million today to get it in maybe 3 prob more like 5 years. His contract reads 900k but I bet he gets close to that 2 or 3 million in reality. It just doesnt make sense otherwise.

JLEW1818
1/13/2010, 12:43 PM
horns turning into the yankees

soonerhubs
1/13/2010, 12:48 PM
Texas' sheer panic at the thought of losing Muschamp would indicate that the horn's athletic department is terrified at the thought of having Mack Brown get reinvolved with any significant coaching or hiring decisions.

Mack is a figurehead and decent recruiter. He does not make any of the important decisions. He is the good ol' boy, down-home face the AD wants for the program. He is Bobby Bowden without the senility.

How dare you attack Mack Brown!?!?! His job is to call time outs at the most inopportune time and clock management. ;)

Also, his son is quite the game changer as well.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:yjoJB_IDj2W_WM%3Ahttp://blog.kir.com/archives/images/chris%2520Jessie.jpg

soonerhubs
1/13/2010, 12:49 PM
horns turning into the yankees

I'd say the Trojans are turning into the Yankees.

S008NER
1/13/2010, 12:49 PM
What happens if another candidate emerges that might be a better fit for their program or some questions arise about his ability to keep the program at its current level? Are they contractually obligated to name Muschamp the next head coach at the time of Browns retirement?

NormanPride
1/13/2010, 12:51 PM
We have basically given up getting the best players in Texas anymore. OU basically has to recruit all over the country to make up for not getting Texas players.

So wrong it's not even funny anymore.

BigTime1
1/13/2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah I think that was in his new contract when he was named the coach in waiting. Hes gauranteed the position.

soonerhubs
1/13/2010, 12:54 PM
Agreed. Someone honestly posted just to get a reaction.

sooneron
1/13/2010, 12:55 PM

He kicks our butt almost every time and I hate it but give the man his due. If he is decent then Bob is less than decent and that is wrong too.

Laughable. :mack: is good at getting texas boys to stay in texas. Is he good? yes. best in the country? Not even close. Bob's staff is probably better at recruiting due to the fact that he doesn't have a huge base as his cupboard. He has to go to schools in Houston/Dallas etc and get kids to leave the state. He has also shown to the ability to recruit nationally. Something which mack has not done, but has not needed to do, in his defense.

rawlingsHOH
1/13/2010, 01:07 PM

Rivals says Bob is the better recruiter. Pulls in equal talent, in a less advantageous state.

Hard to analyze though. Texas is kinda big.

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 01:07 PM

We lost out to basically every big Texas player they wanted this year. Why do you think it was important to get those players in California this year?

Looking at the top players in Texas the only one we have a shot at getting is Jackson Jeffcoat. Look at the top 10 or so in Texas 6 or 7 out of 10 are going to Texas.

soonerhubs
1/13/2010, 01:15 PM
I don't understand why anyone would think my posts are dumb...
;)
Dwight said it best: "Of course you do, moonface. That's because you're a preppy freak, you're the office pariah and nobody likes you."

;)

Partial Qualifier
1/13/2010, 01:20 PM
I dont understand the whole "head coach in waiting" deal. I understand in principle, but why in the WORLD would a program like Texas declare a "head coach in waiting", much less a 38 year old coordinator with no head coaching experience?

The Longhorn fans' inferences that Muschamp's "already calling all the shots" and Mack is simply a figurehead is some high-quality LOL. Dude strikes me as a great defensive coordinator and would be completely in over his head as a head coach at a place like Texas.

NormanPride
1/13/2010, 01:39 PM
We lost out to basically every big Texas player they wanted this year. Why do you think it was important to get those players in California this year?

Looking at the top players in Texas the only one we have a shot at getting is Jackson Jeffcoat. Look at the top 10 or so in Texas 6 or 7 out of 10 are going to Texas.

This year? You mean the year we went 9-5 and Texas went to the title game? We lost out this year? Shocker, Nick.

What about last year where we got the top DT and S? What about the year before where we got the top DE, RB, and 2nd rated OT (the first went to tOSU)? Those don't count though.

47straight
1/13/2010, 01:51 PM
Orangebloods says its not happening........Well that's it.......written in stone....what in the H do you expect them to say.......

Orangebloods would never generate "news" that was

a) a fabrication about a player's mother to sell subscriptions, or

b) intended to sway events, not report them.

No, not ever.

:rolleyes:

OUDoc
1/13/2010, 01:52 PM
We lost out to basically every big Texas player they wanted this year.
A bowl of fruit punch could land 20 5-star texas recruits at ut. They are brainwashed from birth to reamin "loyal texans". Mack is good, but he's not any better than Bob at recruiting.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/13/2010, 02:00 PM
Is texas going to have very prissy riots?

goingoneight
1/13/2010, 02:06 PM
Mmmkay... and what exactly is the latest on Muschamp?

Tigeman
1/13/2010, 08:59 PM
Mmmkay... and what exactly is the latest on Muschamp?

Vols are saying it's a done deal. Whorns are saying he's for sure staying.

Donors on both sides are giving the story that sounds best for their side. So in other words... no one knows! LOL

SUPPOSEDLY, the only 2 things holding the contract up according to the UT fans is Muschamp wants a 6 year deal and a clause to be able to leave to * if the job opens. But the AD only wants to offer a 5 year deal and no clause.

The * fans are saying their guy has already told UT no way Jose.

Don't you just love "insider info"...lol.

Piware
1/14/2010, 01:50 AM
They are all wrong. Everyone knows the Vols are secretly lusting after Gundy. The price of sheep in Knoxville went up $2.00 a head today based on insider knowledge.

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 01:52 AM
dammit i keep seeing this thread!!! somebody make it true please!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/14/2010, 01:56 AM

He kicks our butt almost every time and I hate it but give the man his due. If he is decent then Bob is less than decent and that is wrong too.ANY HC the cows have ever had has been a good recruiter. So many tx kids just want to play there. It would be like how hard would it be to recruit top talent in OK for OU if the state of OK had 15 million population?

boomersooner28
1/14/2010, 03:54 AM
I dont understand the whole "head coach in waiting" deal. I understand in principle, but why in the WORLD would a program like Texas declare a "head coach in waiting", much less a 38 year old coordinator with no head coaching experience?

The Longhorn fans' inferences that Muschamp's "already calling all the shots" and Mack is simply a figurehead is some high-quality LOL. Dude strikes me as a great defensive coordinator and would be completely in over his head as a head coach at a place like Texas.

The part I don't get is the fact that Muschamp could go make 3 mill a year probably being a head coach and If he wins, somewhere around 5 mill a year. He's making a little under a million at Texas. So, lets say Mack stays another 10 years for instance, Muschamp makes around 10 mill. If he was a head coach somewhere, he would be making 30 million + in that same time frame. Why would you give up that much $? makes no since.

achiro
1/14/2010, 08:14 AM
The part I don't get is the fact that Muschamp could go make 3 mill a year probably being a head coach and If he wins, somewhere around 5 mill a year. He's making a little under a million at Texas. So, lets say Mack stays another 10 years for instance, Muschamp makes around 10 mill. If he was a head coach somewhere, he would be making 30 million + in that same time frame. Why would you give up that much $? makes no since.

There are only 2 reasons I could think of, one is that Brown really is sick and they are keeping it under wraps until signing day. They know behind the scenes that Brown is stepping down soon and Muschamp will be the HC at TX but don't want the public to know yet.

Other than that the only reason is that Muschamp just ain't that bright???

SunnySooner
1/14/2010, 08:24 AM
The chatter I saw last night was that he's supposed to give them a decision today. Hope so, and I hope he is soon wearing a lighter shade of orange.

Sooner in Tampa
1/14/2010, 10:23 AM
Dallas Morning News...

In reply to:
Muschamp says he's staying at Texas
10:06 PM Wed, Jan 13, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Chuck Carlton/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

You can apparently scratch all the Will Muschamp rumors, the ones that had the Texas defensive coordinator and head coach designate in either Dallas or Knoxville interviewing for the Tennessee job.

Muschamp clarified his intentions Wednesday night.

"I"m happy at Texas and plan to be here for a long time," Muschamp said through a Texas football spokesman.

He added that he has not interviewed for any other jobs nor does he have intention to do so.

While Muschamp did not address any specific rumors or schools, his name has surfaced most recently at Tennessee after Lane Kiffin was hired at Southern California.
The Link (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/muschamp-says-hes-staying-at-texas.html)

Statesman...

In reply to:
Muschamp hasn’t interviewed at Tennessee
By Suzanne Halliburton | Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 10:16 PM

Rumors continued to swirl late Wednesday about Will Muschamp and whether the Longhorns defensive coordinator and head-coach-in-waiting is jumping to the other UT — Tennessee

However, when reached for comment, Texas football spokesman John Bianco said Muschamp has not interviewed for the Volunteers job. Bianco said Muschamp told him Wednesday that he is “happy here and plans on being at Texas for a long time.”

Muschamp was in Austin Wednesday, although reports from Texas to Tennessee had him away from the city and meeting with Volunteers athletic director Mike Hamilton.

The Link (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/01/13/muschamp_not_in.html?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat)

JLEW1818
1/14/2010, 12:23 PM
yep, looks like he is staying

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4825513

goingoneight
1/14/2010, 12:35 PM
Stoops to Tennessee?

:P

westbrooke
1/14/2010, 12:35 PM
My first thought was that Muschamp must have received some private assurances that Mack isn't staying beyond the next 2-3 years. Otherwise, he could just take the Tennessee job and bank whatever ridiculous sums of money they throw at him and still be a candidate for the Texas job when it comes open later in the decade.

Then, two other possibilities occurred to me:

He doesn't want to risk going to Tennessee and failing, which seems like a significant possibility (no matter how good he is) given the shambles Kiffin left behind and the likelihood of being kicked around by Florida, Bama, LSU, etc for the next few years. Not everyone can fail up like Kiffin and Chizik.

He genuinely does like his situation in Austin enough to pass up other opportunities.

In any case, it sounds like everyone has moved on. I'd bet on Cutcliffe as the next most likely candidate with his school ties. But of the other candidates mentioned, I'd also be looking hard at Calhoun.

goingoneight
1/14/2010, 01:02 PM
This guy is guaranteed to be the next HC at TEXAS.

If he likes it there (he must be gay), it's not like he's not being compensated well as an assistant. Why tarnish your rep by going temp status at another program? I would think if you go to Tennessee and phail for 3 years, Texas might view you a little differently when :mack: resigns.

Sorta like... (opposite example) when we thought Mangino and Pelini succ'd and went on to win BCS games elsewhere. Your views change when you get a chance to see your guy at his best or worst elsewhere. I don't see nor hear anyone calling Chuck Long a "brilliant coach" (*cough! TRABER--cough!*) anymore now that he served up a big bucket 'o phail at SDSU.

$990,000 ain't a bad salary, knowing you'll have it until further notice... and you're making your own bed by recruiting and establishing ties in a lesser role, building on your foundation, etc. as a HC "in-waiting."

StoopTroup
1/14/2010, 02:15 PM
;)
Dwight said it best: "Of course you do, moonface. That's because you're a preppy freak, you're the office pariah and nobody likes you."

;)

Take away his stapler and give him an office in the basement...then call payroll and have his checks stopped.