PDA

View Full Version : Dear A**hole

SicEmBaylor
1/12/2010, 01:43 PM
AKA: Scott Brown (Republican candidate for Kennedy's Senate seat in MA),

That Senate seat does not belong to "the people." It belongs to the state of Massachusetts.

House seats belong to "the people."

Get it right you populist pandering dickwheel.

-SicEm

swardboy
1/12/2010, 01:55 PM
No, no...I'm pretty sure it belongs to the Kennedys.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 02:12 PM
AKA: Scott Brown (Republican candidate for Kennedy's Senate seat in MA),

That Senate seat does not belong to "the people." It belongs to the state of Massachusetts.

House seats belong to "the people."

Get it right you populist pandering dickwheel.

-SicEm

According to the 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution, it does belong to the people.

TAFBSooner
1/12/2010, 02:13 PM
'Splain please.

The 17th Amendment changed selection of Senators to popular vote. Are you just grumbling about the change from the original concept, or is there some other sense in which Senate seats "belong" to the state they represent, rather than its people?

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 02:20 PM
I guess you could argue that since Senators aren't apportioned by population but rather by state, they aren't a popular house.

SicEmBaylor
1/12/2010, 02:22 PM
According to the 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution, it does belong to the people.

I can't help that the 17th Amendment destroyed the proper balance of the states' interests and the interests of the people in Congress. I stand by the original document that came out of Philadelphia not the bastardized document we have today.

Aaaaand, their role and responsibilities didn't change with the amendment just who elects them.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 02:25 PM
I can't help that the 17th Amendment destroyed the proper balance of the states' interests and the interests of the people in Congress. I stand by the original document that came out of Philadelphia not the bastardized document we have today.

Aaaaand, their role and responsibilities didn't change with the amendment just who elects them.

So you don't recognize amendments made to the Constitution that were passed under the authority and procedure to do so under the Constitution, yet claim to honor the original text of the Constitution which provides such authority and procedure.

Congratulations. You've won the fatuous nonsense post of the day award.

NormanPride
1/12/2010, 02:32 PM
Even the Constitution isn't Constitution enough for SicEm anymore. He wants his grandpappy's Constitution where we knew who to trust with our decisions and to do our thinkin' for us.

TAFBSooner
1/12/2010, 02:37 PM
SicEm, I hope you're OK with the 21st Amendment.

What about the first ten?

SicEmBaylor
1/12/2010, 02:38 PM
So you don't recognize amendments made to the Constitution that were passed under the authority and procedure to do so under the Constitution, yet claim to honor the original text of the Constitution which provides such authority and procedure.

Congratulations. You've won the fatuous nonsense post of the day award.

I don't like Constitutional amendments that upset the balance of the rest of the document. For example, I don't really think lowering the voting age to 18 is a great idea but it doesn't fundamentally interfere with the balance and structure of the document.

It's not that the amendment is illegitimate -- I just don't like it. There's nothing that says I have to like every amendment just because it was properly ratified.

HOWEVER, the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments are illegitimate.

SicEmBaylor
1/12/2010, 02:42 PM
SicEm, I hope you're OK with the 21st Amendment.

What about the first ten?

Uh, yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of the first 10.

Do the first 10 fundamentally change the structure of the rest of the document? Nope.

And, yes, I'm okay with the 21st. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 02:43 PM
Regardless of whether you like them or not, they're the supreme law of the land. According to the supreme law of the land, the seats in the Senate belong to the people, to be handed to whomever they please.

Similarly, you don't get to claim that slavery is legal because you don't like the 13th Amendment. Nor do you get to claim that the First Amendment doesn't apply to the states because you don't like the Fourteenth.

SicEmBaylor
1/12/2010, 02:48 PM
Regardless of whether you like them or not, they're the supreme law of the land. According to the supreme law of the land, the seats in the Senate belong to the people, to be handed to whomever they please.

Similarly, you don't get to claim that slavery is legal because you don't like the 13th Amendment. Nor do you get to claim that the First Amendment doesn't apply to the states because you don't like the Fourteenth.

Those are all fair points.

C&CDean
1/12/2010, 03:17 PM
People that even give a **** about this kind of stuff - let alone know about it - must be people who have absolutely no fun, girlfriends, wife, or anything meaningful in their lives. They're probably lifelong students/geeks who have yellow pee stains on their tighty whities.

Am I wrong here people?

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2010, 04:26 PM
Heh...

http://blog.masslive.com/thefray/2010/01/martha_coakley_ad_misspells_massachusetts.html

Boomer Mooner
1/12/2010, 05:18 PM
People that even give a **** about this kind of stuff - let alone know about it - must be people who have absolutely no fun, girlfriends, wife, or anything meaningful in their lives. They're probably lifelong students/geeks who have yellow pee stains on their tighty whities.

Am I wrong here people?

Getting back on topic from the first post, what EXACTLY is a "dickwheel"?

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 05:41 PM

Am I wrong here people?

Yes. My tighty whities are stained multiple colors.

C&CDean
1/13/2010, 10:46 AM
Yes. My tighty whities are stained multiple colors.

Heh.

At least you are doing something with your knowledge and geekdom. Sicem? Not so much. Aspiring to being a full-time student forever with a head crammed full of useless political information is like nowheresville daddio.

the_ouskull
1/13/2010, 12:27 PM
Heh.

At least you are doing something with your knowledge and geekdom. Sicem? Not so much. Aspiring to being a full-time student forever with a head crammed full of useless political information is like nowheresville daddio.

Sh*t, NOW I feel bad. I have no intention of ever entering the legal profession, mainly (I'm not kidding) because I have no intention of seeing my dad throw himself off of a tall building, but I'm as well-read on "the books" as most 1L's. I'm smart and I get bored. What? :D

I guess now's as good a time as any to tell ya that I'm considering grad school in the fall, Dean. Student Forever!

the_ouskull

C&CDean
1/13/2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, except that you've got a ****ing job in the meantime Danny. And I didn't get my grad degree until 2000. I was 43 years old.

JohnnyMack
1/13/2010, 02:05 PM
Dean has skid marks in his Calvin Klein briefs. He showed them to me at the Bedlam tailgate.

SoonerStormchaser
1/13/2010, 07:47 PM
Dean has skid marks in his Calvin Klein briefs. He showed them to me at the OU-OSU tailgate.

Among other things... :rolleyes::eek:

TUSooner
1/14/2010, 09:02 AM
This is a surprise candidate for the worst thread ever. At least it's the most inane.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/14/2010, 10:10 AM
In the old South Oval, we'd just have a "What color are the stains in your tightie whities?" thread and forget the constitutional law crap. Ah, the good ole days.

AlbqSooner
1/14/2010, 08:55 PM
Sic em. The seat CAN"T belong to the State of Massachusetts. Ther is no such thing. Now if you want to posit that it belongs to the COMMMONWEALTH of Massachusetts * * *