PDA

View Full Version : what tuberville means to us in the big 12 south...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2010, 12:45 PM
this is a long winded post, filled with my opinion

for the last 5 years, there has been a constant chatter on our boards to play man to man defense. my counter argument has always been defined by one name - mike leach.

----history-----

we moved to the tampa 2 in the spring of 2000. we made this move because the man press that bob stoops had invented at kstate was just totally abused by colorado in 1999. they simply flexed the back into the flats and the entire defense was off balance. there wasn't a thing we could do to stop them. this coupled by our offensive coordinator (who knew we couldn't do anything) moving to a big 12 south team, pretty much forced our hand away from the man press.

the move to the tampa 2 was interesting. it was the flavor of the month at the time, but it also introduced the college game to the zone blitz. the man press is a tough defense to run because it is only as effective as your biggest mismatch in the secondary. the tampa 2 smoothed this out by lowering the probability of a team continuously keying on one mismatch. it also had the added advantage of magnifying the play of 2 positions against the run - WLB and a safety (or royback if you will). the match made perfect sense as OU had 2 all timers at those positions (calmus, williams).

the problem was that while the tampa 2 WAS the ideal defense for our personnel, it was not the ideal defense to run the table in the big 12. there were 5 teams that ran an offense that could shell that D - aTm, pokey state, nebraska, colorado, and kstate - if it had a personnel weakness. over time, this faded as coaches were fired (rc, barnett, etc) and resurged as coaches adopted their mentality (texas).

coaches not named mike leach are, by nature risk averse. they look at things in a very systematic way.

priority #1 - have schemes that match up well with the teams you play every year. for us, this is the big 12 south.

priority #2 - have schemes that match up with the other conf teams that you are going to play that year (3 from the north).

priority #3 - whatever for non-conference

our problem on D has always been mike leach. the tampa 2 is THE scheme to keep that team under control and our coaches from my view have been of the mindset that is is easier to: control tech and tweak to beat the other big 12 south teams than to control the other big 12 south teams and tweak to beat tech. this strategy proved to be a good one until our road struggles began.

this year, we tried to man tech and got pasted. it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that coming either. tech feasts on the fact that their #4 receiver is better than your #4 DB. if you take a long hard look at our roster, it isn't hard to see that not only is there #4 going to be better, but their #3, #2, and #1 are as well. the simple point is that OU historically hasn't EVER been a great recruiter of corners. for 50 years before bob stoops, there was darrell royal and an empty room. while the linebacker and defensive line rooms were SRO. so while stoops has managed to toss some good corners into the fold, he has never managed a solid pipeline of cover corners on campus.

so what did that long-winded statement have to do with tuberville? the long and short is that tuberville is RC reincarnated. ttech will be a defensive ball control team in 2 years max. the last reason for actually sticking with the tampa 2 is behind us. i'm not saying that we have to go instantly to man, but it gives us much more flexibility to tweak the defense away from the passive cover 2.

what it also means is that the big 12 is about to revolve again into a defensive minded league. oh, we will still score points along with texas, its what we do. however, for those of us who dig dominating defenses, the next 5 years are going to be pretty fun.

delhalew
1/12/2010, 12:57 PM
I can see that happening. It will be interesting to see how this works out in noncon match-ups. I want our scary d back. I hope it doesn't result in us being less opertunistic as far picks.

44BluesExplosion
1/12/2010, 12:58 PM
Very, very good post.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 01:01 PM
Bravo, jkm!

rawlingsHOH
1/12/2010, 01:04 PM
Tampa 2 became more myth than actuallity.

We've gone away from the c2 (ESPECIALLY with the Mike running the seam) quite regularly over the past 3 seasons.

Probably more c3 and 4, than 2.

Tulsa games come to mind, where we were about where about 70% in c3/cloud.

And even games with predominantly man, Baylor the last two seasons. I believe KSU in 08, also. Against Texas, we'd show a lot of man/zone combo, where one side of the field (or one guy) would play man, and we'd zone the other half.

what it also means is that the big 12 is about to revolve again into a defensive minded league. oh, we will still score points along with texas, its what we do. however, for those of us who dig dominating defenses, the next 5 years are going to be pretty fun.
Definitely looked like it last season. The improvements were remarkable, league wide.

boomersooner28
1/12/2010, 01:10 PM
Hope you're right JKM. Finesse doesn't get you very far. We have moved into finesse mode along with the rest of the conference. Sure, it will get you a high ranking and into a BCS game, but look at OUr history there and it proves my point. I'm ready for the hit-somebody-in-the-mouth-bring-on-the-SEC football!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2010, 01:14 PM
some other random points about our D.

one of the biggest reasons that our D has dominated in the regular season is that it caters to the touch me not big 12 refs. we very rarely allow teams to keep drives alive with stupid PI penalties.

this same touch me not mentality KILLS us in bowl games when we can't have a big 12 crew and we play against a physically aggressive opponent. the last 2 years has seen us moving away from the touch me not mentality and our defensive penalties have gone way up during the regular season.

opponents first down by penalty
2009 26
2008 23
2007 15
2006 8
2005 24
2004 18
2003 8

TXBOOMER
1/12/2010, 01:33 PM
D's seemed to be better across the board in the Big 12 this year. With TT in at tech and ML gone they will definately be less offensive oriented. I don't like texass D only having 3 SR starters this year. Anyone heard if any of their JR's are leaving?

delhalew
1/12/2010, 01:36 PM
some other random points about our D.

one of the biggest reasons that our D has dominated in the regular season is that it caters to the touch me not big 12 refs. we very rarely allow teams to keep drives alive with stupid PI penalties.

this same touch me not mentality KILLS us in bowl games when we can't have a big 12 crew and we play against a physically aggressive opponent. the last 2 years has seen us moving away from the touch me not mentality and our defensive penalties have gone way up during the regular season.

opponents first down by penalty
2009 26
2008 23
2007 15
2006 8
2005 24
2004 18
2003 8

This has been very troubling to me for years. A person will say something about the toughness and aggressivness of an SEC defense, we simply are not allowed to play that way, by vitue of officiating.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/12/2010, 01:39 PM
D's seemed to be better across the board in the Big 12 this year. With TT in at tech and ML gone they will definately be less offensive oriented. I don't like texass D only having 3 SR starters this year. Anyone heard if any of their JR's are leaving?

Earl Thomas is leaving

OUmillenium
1/12/2010, 01:39 PM
Good stuff. You make it sound like Venables knows whats going on out there.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/12/2010, 01:45 PM
Well it looks like TT is "highly encouraging" Tubs to retain the offensive staff, including Lincoln Riley who has spent 7 years with Leach as a qb, and then on to the staff...as well as a few other mainstays...

I don't think we are necessarily going to see that big of a change at TT...Of course that all could change tomorrow

BASSooner
1/12/2010, 01:45 PM
Their DB, earl thomas declared for the draft

Sooner04
1/12/2010, 02:49 PM
But what if Tuberville (and this is a stretch for him) comes in and thinks totally outside the box? Basically, he comes in as HC and leaves the offense completely alone. Keeps the staff, at least those who want to stay, and only participates in being the final push on the recruiting front.

His sole focus is the defense. What happens then? Is that even possible?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2010, 02:52 PM
Well it looks like TT is "highly encouraging" Tubs to retain the offensive staff, including Lincoln Riley who has spent 7 years with Leach as a qb, and then on to the staff...as well as a few other mainstays...

I don't think we are necessarily going to see that big of a change at TT...Of course that all could change tomorrow

this is pure window dressing for the fanbase and was probably discussed during the hiring process. the second carrot to the fanbase will be the AD retiring or somesuch.

within 2 years, the ttech offense will resemble the last "spread wizard" O that worked for tuberville.

Breadburner
1/12/2010, 02:54 PM
Jesus.....I hope Tuberville does not read this board or we are ****ed.......

I kid...I kid....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2010, 02:55 PM
But what if Tuberville (and this is a stretch for him) comes in and thinks totally outside the box? Basically, he comes in as HC and leaves the offense completely alone. Keeps the staff, at least those who want to stay, and only participates in being the final push on the recruiting front.

His sole focus is the defense. What happens then? Is that even possible?

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/10/auburns-offense-might-be-bad-but-dont.html

MrJimBeam
1/12/2010, 04:30 PM
I hate when knowledgeable fans post on the internet. I much prefere threads about throwing more on first down, whether or not to root for Texas in a bowl game or if we should accept USC's vacated BCS title. Those post are what the internet were made for.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2010, 04:41 PM
Here is Tuberville's new OC if you're interested:

Brown, the youngest offensive coordinator in the FBS, led the Trojans’ offensive attack to unprecedented heights in 2008. In his first year calling plays, the Trojans’ fast-paced no huddle offense set 10 school records, including the most total yards in a season, most 1st downs in a season, most total yards in a game, most 1st downs in a game, and most pass completions in a game. In his first season as offensive coordinator, Brown led the Trojans to a national ranking of 26 in total offense with 421.42 yards per game. http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=937306

swardboy
1/12/2010, 05:08 PM
Troy was fun to watch in their bowl game....how's that for an intelligent post?

Scott D
1/12/2010, 05:37 PM
Jarboe to Tech! I keed I keed.

Soonerfan88
1/12/2010, 08:57 PM
Jarboe to Tech! I keed I keed.

:D My first thought when I saw the guy was from Troy.

bluedogok
1/12/2010, 09:08 PM
As far as the Big 12 officials, it seems that the halo PI rule that seemed to be in effect for years wasn't this season, there seemed to be a little more contact allowed than in years past. Some of that might be due to the blended crews (Big 12, Mountain West, WAC and C-USA officials on the same crew) they have tried for the past couple of seasons. I just know not seeing Bible or Christal every week sure has been nice.

SoonerDood
1/12/2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=937306

so he was the dude whose team got up 31-3 at LSU and kept calling pass plays, allowing LSU to come back and win 38-31?

DenverSooner751
1/12/2010, 10:33 PM
Great post! I do agree that there is about to be a shift in focus in the BIG 12, and also agree with some of the others posts in this thread that point to the progress made in that direction this past season. Your post brings forth a perspective that I haven't read yet and I quite enjoyed it!

Regardless of who all stays on with TT from the ML staff, much of what made all of that system click so well is locked up inside Leach's dome and will likely stay there. Sure, one can watch all of the film, work closely with his former Assistants and players, review the play books etc etc.....but I think there is more than one reason Leach was the one calling the plays on the sideline with his little napkin sized play sheet. The most notable reason is probably this whole "mad scientist" notion, and I imagine he really enjoyed having that nick name amongst the press and maybe...just maybe, they were right.

Given the success of Leach's system, TT would be somewhat foolish to not attempt replicating some of it.....it's likely though that system will not combine well with his brand of football and could be scrapped very quick like.

Just my .02

OKC-SLC
1/13/2010, 12:15 AM
good jorb, jkm.

OU-HSV
1/13/2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=937306
This article on espn shows Brown had Troy averaging more than what that article you quoted shows. Wonder which is right. Either way he looks like he can coach some O (although it was in the sunbelt conference)

LUBBOCK, Texas -- New Texas Tech Red Raiders coach Tommy Tuberville has chosen Neal Brown of Troy to be his offensive coordinator.

Troy spokesman Ricky Hazel said Tuesday that the 29-year-old Brown, whose Trojans had the nation's third-best offense last season, will take over play-calling at Texas Tech.

Brown succeeds fired coach Mike Leach, who was the pass-heavy offensive coordinator until his dismissal last month amid allegations he mistreated a player who had a concussion. Leach denies the claims.

Brown, who just finished his fourth season at the Alabama school, had the Trojans averaging 485.7 yards of total offense per game.

Brown was a wide receiver at Kentucky and Massachusetts.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4819773

goingoneight
1/13/2010, 01:57 PM
Tubberville isn't an immediate upgrade IMO. He's got to prove he's more than just a retread. CFB has seen coaches who wind down and get fired one place, take some time off and go to another job only to get smoked there again before. See: Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook

However, it's a better hire IMO than Ruffin "John Blake, Jr" McNeil. I was really hoping the bowl win high would put him in charge. :D

Look for what Auburn tried to do in Tubb's last year. Spread, zone-read offense emphasizing a run and pass threat at QB, and defense, defense and more defense. Honestly, it's exactly what Leach needed (ground game and D) to do to get over that hump during his time. We'll see if "Ears" can do it.

Scott D
1/13/2010, 03:15 PM
perhaps, but as we've seen in Norman, no matter who the OC is, the offense has morphed into the vision of the HC. The same as how it likely will morph in Lubbock as well.

Sooner04
1/13/2010, 03:26 PM
However, it's a better hire IMO than Ruffin "John Blake, Jr" McNeil. I was really hoping the bowl win high would put him in charge. :D Is there any reason you called McNeil "John Blake, Jr." other than the fact that he's black?

The guy's been a successful coach and coordinator for many years which is the complete opposite of what Blake had been when we hired him.

TexasLidig8r
1/13/2010, 04:39 PM
Tap the brakes on Tubby gents.

Sand aggy is merely a stepping stone job for him. He pimped himself out and openly campaigned for it on ESPNU.

Now.. he's kicking himself because the Tennessee job just came open.

I will be shocked if he's there in 3 years...

In fact, if he keeps sand aggy at 8 wins a year, when Old Visor hangs it up at South Carolina, I bet Tubby will be chompin at the bit to get back in the SEC.

OUstud
1/13/2010, 06:25 PM
Is there any reason you called McNeil "John Blake, Jr." other than the fact that he's black?

The guy's been a successful coach and coordinator for many years which is the complete opposite of what Blake had been when we hired him.

Yeah, but he also expressed his love for "the kids" a lot after the Alamo Bowl. :D

Scott D
1/13/2010, 06:43 PM
Tap the brakes on Tubby gents.

Sand aggy is merely a stepping stone job for him. He pimped himself out and openly campaigned for it on ESPNU.

Now.. he's kicking himself because the Tennessee job just came open.

I will be shocked if he's there in 3 years...

In fact, if he keeps sand aggy at 8 wins a year, when Old Visor hangs it up at South Carolina, I bet Tubby will be chompin at the bit to get back in the SEC.

Someone should verify that he's actually signed his contract with Tech.

OU Adonis
1/13/2010, 11:38 PM
Tampa 2 became more myth than actuallity.

We've gone away from the c2 (ESPECIALLY with the Mike running the seam) quite regularly over the past 3 seasons.

Probably more c3 and 4, than 2.

Tulsa games come to mind, where we were about where about 70% in c3/cloud.

And even games with predominantly man, Baylor the last two seasons. I believe KSU in 08, also. Against Texas, we'd show a lot of man/zone combo, where one side of the field (or one guy) would play man, and we'd zone the other half.

Definitely looked like it last season. The improvements were remarkable, league wide.

The Tampa 2 is not the Cover 2!

The tampa 2 looks like a cover 3, but its not.

I can break down the differences if you guys are interested. Otherwise, carry on.

delhalew
1/13/2010, 11:44 PM
The Tampa 2 is not the Cover 2!

The tampa 2 looks like a cover 3, but its not.

I can break down the differences if you guys are interested. Otherwise, carry on.

I'm always interested. As long as you actually know what you're talking about, if you can add to jkm's alalysis, feel free.