PDA

View Full Version : OU's "Unbreakable" Record

SunnySooner
1/12/2010, 10:17 AM
My bubba pointed this out to me, and I had never thought of it, but within the 47 game win streak (which will prolly never be broken either), there was a 28 game AWAY win streak. For a team to win 28 road games in a row, with modern schedules, they would have to play around 60 games total. Yeah, right. So it's highly unlikely that the 28 game streak will EVER be broken. The next closest teams, I think, are thugU and tejas at 18. :D :D :D

Boomer!!

KantoSooner
1/12/2010, 10:21 AM
It's been called the greatest acheivement in modern sporting history. I wouldn't argue.

Blues1
1/12/2010, 10:52 AM
So Glad I was a Sooner Fan during all those years ~ I Remember when the Win streak was only 3 games ~ From 3 to 47 was a Great Ride... :)
I was Also in the stands in Columbia,Mo. when we Won # 47 ~~Was hoping we make it to 50 plus, But....You know the Rest of "The Story"

Have Fun & Keep Rockin'

rawlingsHOH
1/12/2010, 10:55 AM
My bubba pointed this out to me, and I had never thought of it, but within the 47 game win streak (which will prolly never be broken either), there was a 28 game AWAY win streak. For a team to win 28 road games in a row, with modern schedules, they would have to have around a 60 game streak. Yeah, right. So it's highly unlikely that the 28 game streak will EVER be broken. The next closest teams, I think, are thugU and tejas at 18. :D :D :D

Boomer!!
A team like Texas would be one to look out for, because they don't play many challanging road games. Just their scheduled Big 12 slate.

Sooner in Tampa
1/12/2010, 10:56 AM
A team like Texas would be one to look out for, because they don't play many challanging road games. Just their scheduled Big 12 slate.
Ditto for the SEC teams

Sooner04
1/12/2010, 10:57 AM
I don't know. Averaging 472.4 yards a game on the ground seems pretty unattainable these days as well. I can't imagine how fun it must've been to behold the Wishbone every week back then. Like a runaway locomotive.

Blues1
1/12/2010, 11:04 AM
I don't know. Averaging 472.4 yards a game on the ground seems pretty unattainable these days as well. I can't imagine how fun it must've been to behold the Wishbone every week back then. Like a runaway locomotive.

From 53 to 57 ~ The 47 game Win streak was pretty much done with
"The Spilit T Formation"
Though Bud did throw in some Wierd Formations now & then - Even some
Single wing a couple of times....

Wishbone didn't show up until the 70's - As you probably know....

Sooner04
1/12/2010, 11:14 AM
I know. I'm just saying the average yards per game on the ground the '71 team put up may be just as unattainable as winning 47 in a row.

Blues1
1/12/2010, 11:20 AM
I know. I'm just saying the average yards per game on the ground the '71 team put up may be just as unattainable as winning 47 in a row.

Amen ~~~ :)

MyT Oklahoma
1/12/2010, 01:36 PM
And how about our unbeaten conference streak from 1947 to 1958? What was it, 74 games in a row without a loss?

I'd sure like to see anyone else ever do that again in my lifetime. Not going to happen.

85sooners
1/12/2010, 01:43 PM
:pop:

MeMyself&Me
1/12/2010, 01:44 PM
And how about our unbeaten conference streak from 1947 to 1958? What was it, 74 games in a row without a loss?

I'd sure like to see anyone else ever do that again in my lifetime. NOt going to happen.

I don't know man, if Boise State stays in the conference their in, I wouldn't expect it, but it's possible they could do it in that conference.

sooneron
1/12/2010, 01:49 PM
That 1 point loss to tcu in 08 sure must be bugging Boise... Otherwise, they'd be sitting at 27-0.

badger
1/12/2010, 01:54 PM
I think a team like Boise could make a run at the 47-game streak, just because they're in a weak conference and only play a few tough games each year.

It's the reason why you hear about these minor program stars breaking NCAA records, but not being mentioned high on NFL Draft boards.

MamaMia
1/12/2010, 01:56 PM
I heard that in 1953, Notre Dame cheated by faking injuries to stop the clock in the National Championship game against Iowa. I also heard they spied on us before they played us in that 48th game.

Oh, and didn't someone almost match our streak recently? I'm thinking it was USC.

Okay, here an article on the faked injury.

The controversy over the tie with Iowa stemmed from the fact that both of Notre Dame's touchdowns (one late in the first half and the other late in the game) came after a player had faked an injury. In both instances, Notre Dame had used up their allottment of time outs, and under normal circumstances, time would have expired in each half before they could run another play. Faking an injury was a widely-used ploy in football as a means of buying time, but in most cases there was no impact on the outcome of a game. In Notre Dame's case, they used this ruse not once but twice in the same game, and both times they managed to score touchdowns. A new rule was implemented the following year forbidding players from faking injuries, and many saw this as punishment directed at Notre Dame, who were branded as the "Fainting Irish."

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/564337?list_url=%2Flist%3Flist_results_format%3Dst andard%26page%3D2%26q%255Bexclude_text%255D%3Dnotf orsale%26q%255Blast_updated_since%255D%3D14%26sort %3Dupdated_at%26sort_direction%3DDESC

Seamus
1/12/2010, 02:28 PM
Oh, and didn't someone almost match our streak recently? I'm thinking it was USC.

In the 2005 BCS game against texass, usuck had a 34-game win streak. Had they won, they would have been in mathematical reach of the streak the following year.

That is why I rooted for texass to win that game -- one of only two times I can recall ever doing that heinous, despicable act.

KantoSooner
1/12/2010, 02:46 PM
I heard that in 1953, Notre Dame cheated by faking injuries to stop the clock in the National Championship game against Iowa. I also heard they spied on us before they played us in that 48th game.

Okay, here an article on the faked injury.

The controversy over the tie with Iowa stemmed from the fact that both of Notre Dame's touchdowns (one late in the first half and the other late in the game) came after a player had faked an injury. In both instances, Notre Dame had used up their allottment of time outs, and under normal circumstances, time would have expired in each half before they could run another play. Faking an injury was a widely-used ploy in football as a means of buying time, but in most cases there was no impact on the outcome of a game. In Notre Dame's case, they used this ruse not once but twice in the same game, and both times they managed to score touchdowns. A new rule was implemented the following year forbidding players from faking injuries, and many saw this as punishment directed at Notre Dame, who were branded as the "Fainting Irish."

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/564337?list_url=%2Flist%3Flist_results_format%3Dst andard%26page%3D2%26q%255Bexclude_text%255D%3Dnotf orsale%26q%255Blast_updated_since%255D%3D14%26sort %3Dupdated_at%26sort_direction%3DDESC

No one should have the slightest surprise about this. Notre Dame has forever been a bag of lying, cheating scum. Their only saving grace of late has been their complete irrelevance.

SPuL
1/12/2010, 09:32 PM
I don't know if any of you own or read that book on the 47-0 streak, I think it's called "Unbeatable" or probably not. But it's an awesome read and a good look into those teams. I loved it.

But yes, it did mention something about Notre Dame having a spy at our walkthrough the day before.

SPuL
1/12/2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Undefeated-Oklahoma-Sooners-Greatest-Football/dp/0312303262

^the book. Good stuff.

DenverSooner751
1/12/2010, 09:50 PM
"The Undefeated" A fantastic read for all sooner fans.

This topic has a new sense of joy for me. My Grandfather (OU Grad 1951) passed away the day after Thanksgiving this year, while my Father (OU Grad 1974) and I were going through some of his things while trying to get his affairs in order, we found a shoe box full of old OU memories. The crown jewel of this box was the torn ticket stub from the Notre Dame game on November 16th 1957 when the streak was broken. Interesting though, the man wasn't much of a football fan. The story goes that he went to the game to "network" with some medical field wigs (Grandpa was a Phlebotomist) and just so happened to be there on that historic day.

The box of goodies is up at my Dad's place, next time I'm up there I'll snap a photo of it and post it here.

BoomerSooner, esq.
1/12/2010, 10:11 PM
I just got done reading "The Undefeated" over break. As a young(er) Sooner fan, it was an incredible look into the foundation of Oklahoma football. I learned a number of great things about Bud Wilkinson and the Sooner tradition that I likely would have never learned elsewhere.

Amazing read. I would recommend that any Sooner fan read it for a historical perspective of the rich tradition of OU football

soonerboy
1/12/2010, 11:23 PM
Ya "The Undefeated" is a great book, also look into "Bootleggers Boy" its King Switzers story really a great one also!

MyT Oklahoma
1/13/2010, 01:04 AM
And don't forget "An Autumn Remembered" by Gary T. King, University of Oklahoma Press, for some additional reading to supplement "The Undefeated".

ndpruitt03
1/13/2010, 01:31 AM
Having 4 100 win coaches may never be broken either. There's only 3 schools with 3 100 win coaches right now. USC, Georgia Tech, and Tennessee

USC and Tenn need 100 wins by their next coaches, Georgia Tech needs 80 from Paul Johnson. The tradition at OU is hard to match.