PDA

View Full Version : Tobey Maguire & Sam Raimi off 'Spiderman 4'

adoniijahsooner
1/12/2010, 08:51 AM
Good or bad move?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/spiderman-4-delayed-maguire-raimi-out-ap

LOS ANGELES - Tobey Maguire's web-slinging days are behind him.

The 34-year-old actor and "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi will not be returning to the superhero franchise next year. Instead, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced Monday that a new "Spider-Man" film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team.

The announcement of a reboot comes after reports that "Spider-Man 4" production stalled amid script revisions. The original "Spider-Man 4" release date seemed unlikely last week when Paramount Pictures announced that "Thor," another big-screen Marvel superhero adaptation, had hammered out the same May 6, 2011, release date as the fourth Spidey installment.

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me," Raimi, who directed all three "Spider-Man" films, said in a statement Monday. "While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

Maguire said in an interview last week that there was "great stuff in terms of story and script" for the fourth chapter and the plan was to still release the film in 2011. He also said he had specific ideas about the evolution of the character on the big screen. Maguire's spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Monday's announcement.

"Thor" experienced its own upheaval over the weekend. Stuart Townsend departed the adaptation because of creative differences, according to two AP sources close to the production. Townsend, who had been cast as an ally of the Norse god, was replaced by Joshua Dallas.

The three "Spider-Man" films continually snared moviegoers, earning over $1.1 billion combined. After glowing reaction to the first two films, critical response to "Spider-Man 3" was so-so. Raimi said he was undecided about returning to the franchise after the third movie but later said he didn't like thinking about somebody else making the Peter Parker story.

Sony said it would have more news about the next "Spider-Man" movie in coming weeks.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2010, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Spider Man 4 in 3D?

yermom
1/12/2010, 09:43 AM
not doing #4? great idea. the 3rd one sucked balls

starting over again? unless Christopher Nolan is doing it, i'm gonna go with no

badger
1/12/2010, 11:33 AM
Well, there goes Tobey's acting career. I wonder who they'll cast as the next Spidey?

TheUnnamedSooner
1/12/2010, 01:11 PM
Rebooting this early is a bad idea.

OhU1
1/12/2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe they can get someone more attractive than the anorexic, crooked toothed, red head for the female lead while they're at it.

sooneron
1/12/2010, 01:34 PM
They should shelve the series for 5 or so years and then re-tool it. Sorta like the recent Batman movies.

3 was basically horrible with the typical Hollywood plot...
"hmmm, how can we make this one "better" than the last?"
"I know, let's give Spidey MORE enemies in this one! It worked for the last Shumacher Batman! " :rolleyes:

OUmillenium
1/12/2010, 02:02 PM
I was looking forward to Venom but did not like the way they did it.

The Sandman was excellent and the story had depth.

Didn't care for the Peter Parker stuff. The dance scene was cheese. Never liked the actress who played MJ, not even going to mention her name.

I also think a reboot should be held off for a while.

LosAngelesSooner
1/12/2010, 02:45 PM
What they did was a VERY good idea. I'm very close to this situation. The studio was interfering so much that we were gonna get a "Batman and Robin" instead of a Spiderman 2.

Sam simply wouldn't let his name be tarnished like that. He was still pissed off with what they ended up doing to Spiderman 3.

bri
1/12/2010, 04:11 PM
I mourn the loss of John Malkovich as the Vulture. I equally mourn the eventual gain of a Jonas brother as the rebooted Peter Parker.

soonervegas
1/12/2010, 05:16 PM
What they did was a VERY good idea. I'm very close to this situation. The studio was interfering so much that we were gonna get a "Batman and Robin" instead of a Spiderman 2.

Sam simply wouldn't let his name be tarnished like that. He was still pissed off with what they ended up doing to Spiderman 3.

LA is it true that he wasn't too keen on the whole Venom character and the studio kind of pushed it on him? I love Venom but you don't want to force something that a director doesn't believe in....

bri
1/12/2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Raimi wanted the villains in 3 to be Sandman and the Vulture, which would have warmed my old-school Sinister Six-loving heart. But Sony forced Venom in there.

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2010, 06:44 PM
They are gonna absolutely destroy the franchise.

bri
1/12/2010, 06:56 PM
This is gonna make X-Men 3 look like Superman III by comparison.

yankee
1/12/2010, 07:34 PM
moar emo spiderman!!!

yermom
1/12/2010, 08:09 PM
This is gonna make X-Men 3 look like Superman III by comparison.

it's gonna make House Party II look like House Party

bri
1/12/2010, 10:03 PM
it's gonna make House Party II look like House Party

George Lucas gonna sue somebody!

LosAngelesSooner
1/13/2010, 03:18 AM
LA is it true that he wasn't too keen on the whole Venom character and the studio kind of pushed it on him? I love Venom but you don't want to force something that a director doesn't believe in....

Yeah, Raimi wanted the villains in 3 to be Sandman and the Vulture, which would have warmed my old-school Sinister Six-loving heart. But Sony forced Venom in there.
THIS ^^^ is your answer.

Bri's spot on.

bri
1/13/2010, 03:35 AM
Sandman, Vulture and Hobgoblin would have made a kick-*** movie, and you wouldn't have had to retcon Flint Markoe's backstory to make him Uncle Ben's killer. Additional upside: No bullsh*t song and dance numbers and no Topher Grace.

Ugh.

Crucifax Autumn
1/13/2010, 04:12 AM
Topher was terrible casting in any event. He looks way too much like Toby IMO.