PDA

View Full Version : Coaches being fired Thanks to softness...

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 08:30 AM
My newest article at B/R! (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/324521-coaches-being-fired-thanks-to-softness)

Enjoy and discuss please!

Jacie
1/12/2010, 08:38 AM
As I understand it, Mike Leach was fired because he refused to apologize for sending the kid into the shed . . .

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 08:39 AM
As I understand it, Mike Leach was fired because he refused to apologize for sending the kid into the shed . . .

Well, maybe, but it all stemmed from something the medical staff could have overturned.

TUSooner
1/12/2010, 08:48 AM
Ever since the Bleacher Report kept INSISTING that Stoops was going to Notre Dame, despite his denials, I quit paying attention to it.
The writer is basically right, but the piece is lightweight stuff.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 08:53 AM
Ever since the Bleacher Report kept INSISTING that Stoops was going to Notre Dame, despite his denials, I quit paying attention to it.
The writer is basically right, but the piece is lightweight stuff.

That writer is me. B/R is from fans and some free lance writers. Not really a "news" agency.

Even though in a way it is.

SoCal
1/12/2010, 09:43 AM
Soccer Moms taking over youth sports....just sucks!! Sports (and our Country for that matter) need to go back to the "Junction Boys" mentality.

SunnySooner
1/12/2010, 09:49 AM
My son's flag football coach grabbed the back of his jersey and shoved him into position during the game the other day (the coaches stay on the field). I thought it was hilarious. He was out of position, and the ball was about to be snapped. He needed a good shove!! I thought to myself at the time though, that the coach better be careful, if he does that to the wrong person's kid, he'll catch hell for it. Sad.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 12:22 PM
We are creating a bunch of soft panty-wasted kids that cannot take tough treatment.

Dude, wanna' hit?

Naw man, I had a bad trip the last time I got wasted on panties.

By the way, I think your English teacher should have grabbed you by your shirt collar and dragged you around the classroom. :D

TUSooner
1/12/2010, 01:28 PM
PANTYWAIST (from the irrefutable Oxford English Dictionary):
A. n.
1. A garment, usually for children, consisting of panties attached to a waist or bodice. Now rare.
1910 Lima (Ohio) Daily News 10 Feb. 2/3 (advt.) Child's..Reinforced Ribbed Panty Waists. 1920 Washington Post 14 Mar. 19 (advt.) Children's Panty Waists. 1939 C. MORLEY Kitty Foyle 15 Some of my pantywaists and nightgowns. 1942 Vidette-Messenger (Valparaiso, Indiana) 4 June 3/3 Patch my pantywaist, mother. You're a ball of fire in that outfit!

[Also a adjective describing that style of garment. And from that childish and effeminate garment come the following....]
2. derogatory. A weak or cowardly person, esp. a young boy; a weakling, a sissy.
1935 Frederick (Maryland) Post 26 Jan. 4/3 It tells about a pampered young panty-waist who lives with and on his aunt on the edge of a small town. 1937 Sun (Baltimore) 28 Apr. 6 (advt.) Now Mike don't be calling me a panty waist. 1971 J. BROWN & A. GROFF Monkey off my Back 81 Get up, you pantywaist! 1995 M. L. SETTLE Choices IV. xi. 278 They had always called him a sissy{em}and pantywaist and four-eyes and teacher's pet.

2. Weak, ineffectual; cowardly; unmanly.
1938 Times Recorder (Zanesville, Ohio) 26 July 2/4 The executive referred to Sawyer as a ‘panty-waist’ candidate who had never taken a ‘stand on anything’. 1946 Jrnl. Educ. Sociol. 20 99 Secondary-school pupils feel quite strongly about their near adulthood, and the old approaches to safe walking are considered ‘pantywaist’. 1975 Daily Colonist (Victoria, Brit. Columbia) 30 July 5/3 When they [sc. the police] do lay hands on the culprits and get them to the courtroom they are let down by our pantywaist judges. 1993 Westcoast Logger Apr.-May 19/2 Only pantywaist slackers managed to get through a whole day without somehow accumulating liberal layers of grit and grime.

THERE!

starclassic tama
1/12/2010, 01:31 PM
By the way, I think your English teacher should have grabbed you by your shirt collar and dragged you around the classroom. :D

this. it's barely readable.

85sooners
1/12/2010, 01:34 PM
:gary:

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 02:41 PM
PANTYWAIST (from the irrefutable Oxford English Dictionary):

Sure. But what is a panty-waste?

MamaMia
1/12/2010, 04:17 PM
Sure. But what is a panty-waste?Someone who buys panties for a girl who doesn't wear them.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 04:36 PM
JPEG! JPEG!

(No, don't.)

Sooner04
1/12/2010, 04:55 PM
:eddie:

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 04:59 PM
Hey, if it helps him F-O-C-U-S.

Sooner04
1/12/2010, 05:14 PM
Focus?

What about Hocus Pocus?

NGaVUApDVuY

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2010, 07:41 PM
Who's Chris James?

royalfan5
1/12/2010, 08:02 PM
All these coaches got fired because they pissed off the money behind the programs, the player allegations just provided a potentially cheap way to get rid of them.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 08:04 PM
Focus was awesome. Jan was probably the first speed metal player. Amon Duul was pretty good in the day too.

Who's Chris James?

When you're writing a sports blog, you don't have to get the names, like, you know... right.

Chris and Craig both start with a "C." That's pretty good. And they both have an "r." That's two out of five right there.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 08:06 PM
All these coaches got fired because they pissed off the money behind the programs, the player allegations just provided a potentially cheap way to get rid of them.

This is how I would handle it as a judge. "Why, you pissed off the money behind the program. You must be dumber than dog ****. What'd you expect to happen to you? Everybody knows you gotta' keep the money happy. Hell, my five-year-old knows that. Now get this case out of my court. I have more important things to do."

GKeeper316
1/12/2010, 08:10 PM
its a good thing you arent a paid journalist.

ashley
1/12/2010, 08:29 PM
I coached for 36 yrs. No coach should abuse a kid at any age. The younger they are the softer they need to be treated. With that being said I will tell you what is wrong with high school football and now surprisingly, college football. It is mothers whose husbands that make lots of money and the do not have to work. Many of them just want to run the schools and the athletic departments. They do not want their little Adam to ever have a cross word said to him. Coaches everywhere have been experiences this since around the the early at 90's more than ever.

PS. I just realized that I would have normally said little Jhonny but Adam just came to me out of thin air.

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 09:10 PM
Let me ask you: According to an ex-player, Mangino made fun of a player's alcoholic father in front of the team. The team didn't know about the father's alcoholism up to that point.

What do you think? Was the player a wimp for mentioning it?

I have my own ideas: You can get in a player's face and tell him in no uncertain words that he is messing up. You can threaten to sit him down if he doesn't shape up. You can use peer pressure to aid you, so that fellow players know you're not doing it right or not trying hard. Get as loud as you want.

None of that takes it to the personal level. As soon as you start getting personal, you begin treading on thin ice. Sooner or later, it can get too personal.

I think sports in general has tried harder recently to ensure that the zeal to win is held in check. Some of us in here have even told us that their coach would grab them by the facemask and jerk them around. If you're the principal and you see that happening, what do you do?

If you want to read what it was like back in the old days, read "Meat on the Hoof" about Darrell Royal's program. We don't want that in sports.

StoopTroup
1/12/2010, 09:15 PM
Some of us in here have even told us that their coach would grab them by the facemask and jerk them around. If you're the principal and you see that happening, what do you do?

Slap the nearest teacher if he's watching it go down and tell him to avert his eyes?

Leroy Lizard
1/12/2010, 09:21 PM
Well, there goes this thread.

StoopTroup
1/12/2010, 09:23 PM
That's not it huh?