PDA

View Full Version : A way to avoid the substantial federal fines for not buying health insurance...

Okla-homey
1/12/2010, 08:07 AM
become Amish!

Amish families exempt from insurance mandate
HEALTH REFORM: People with religious objections can opt out
By MARC HELLER
TIMES WASHINGTON CORRESPONDENT
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9, 2010

WASHINGTON — Federal health care reform will require most Northern New Yorkers — but not all, it turns out — to carry health insurance or risk a fine.

Hundreds of Amish families in the region are likely to be free from that requirement.

The Amish, as well as some other religious sects, are covered by a "religious conscience" exemption, which allows people with religious objections to insurance to opt out of the mandate. It is in both the House and Senate versions of the bill, making its appearance in the final version routine unless there are last-minute objections.

Although the Amish consist of several branches, some more conservative than others, they generally rely upon a community ethic that disdains government assistance. Families rely upon one another, and communities pitch in to help neighbors pay health care expenses.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20100109/NEWS02/301099964

OUHOMER
1/12/2010, 08:11 AM
where would the Scientology folks fall?

King Barry's Back
1/12/2010, 09:04 AM
Hey, here's a sincere question. What about people who, for religious reasons, refuse medical care (some evangelical groups in Oklahoma, for example)? They have no religious restrictions against insurance, per se. Maybe they have car insurance or home insurance -- but they don't believe in doctors.

DO they have to pay for Obama-care?

yermom
1/12/2010, 09:33 AM
this seems like an ugly loophole

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2010, 10:20 AM
Still not sure how the Government making you buy something from a private company or being fined with tax/jail time is legal or moral to begin with.

Okla-homey
1/12/2010, 10:34 AM
Still not sure how the Government making you buy something from a private company or being fined with tax/jail time is legal or moral to begin with.

I feel you, but they already do it with automobile liability insurance. The difference being, you don't have to drive a car. This involves forcing you to buy something because you can fog a mirror...unless you are Amish.

Hopefully some of this Donk BS can be rescinded or modified after the 'Pubs reacquire the Congress this year.

soonerbrat
1/12/2010, 10:39 AM
Hey, here's a sincere question. What about people who, for religious reasons, refuse medical care (some evangelical groups in Oklahoma, for example)? They have no religious restrictions against insurance, per se. Maybe they have car insurance or home insurance -- but they don't believe in doctors.

DO they have to pay for Obama-care?

those people are weird. they don't belive in medical care, but I worked with a girl that belonged to one of those religions. She broke her arm when she was a baby and it was all out of whack, but it turned out fine. Seems someone reset the bone. Not a doctor, but someone in their community trained to do stuff like that. Isn't that medical care? I thought they didn't do stuff like that....do they put aloe on sunburns? do they stitch up cuts?

I don't get it.

Okla-homey
1/12/2010, 10:43 AM
those people are weird. they don't belive in medical care, but I worked with a girl that belonged to one of those religions. She broke her arm when she was a baby and it was all out of whack, but it turned out fine. Seems someone reset the bone. Not a doctor, but someone in their community trained to do stuff like that. Isn't that medical care? I thought they didn't do stuff like that....do they put aloe on sunburns? do they stitch up cuts?

I don't get it.

I think a fair number of JW's have died and joined the "holy 144,000" because they won't consent to being given blood.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2010, 12:23 PM
The Church of No Insurance will probably spring up and have millions of converts...

soonerbrat
1/12/2010, 02:03 PM
The Church of No Insurance will probably spring up and have millions of converts...

where do I sign up?

OUmillenium
1/12/2010, 02:13 PM
I'm in, or I'm Amish, either way no Obama insurance for me. Just 3 more years and this joke of an admin and Congress (less than 3 years away) will be over.

Obama = Fail

Crucifax Autumn
1/12/2010, 07:55 PM
The best part of going Amish is the cool clothes.

OUHOMER
1/12/2010, 07:59 PM
The best part of going Amish is the cool clothes.

ahh, too many pokes would be joining, them Amish have the finest goats and sheep :D

yermom
1/12/2010, 08:10 PM
plus, you get to bowl 15 frames!

StoopTroup
1/12/2010, 08:28 PM
If Seth could do it...I could do it. :D

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/10009230/photo_07_hires.jpg

yermom
1/12/2010, 08:31 PM
i think i liked that flick a little too much

Boarder
1/12/2010, 11:50 PM
I'm in, or I'm Amish, either way no Obama insurance for me. Just 3 more years and this joke of an admin and Congress (less than 3 years away) will be over.

Obama = Fail
Do you realize that the mandate is to have insurance? Not Obama insurance, just in'shurntz. So, if you have insurance now, you're in compliance. Better go drop it!

If Obama made a mandate to breathe there'd be people commit suicide to spite him.