PDA

View Full Version : Who will the RB next year?

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 04:51 AM
Will Murray get a 6th year?

If not, will Mr. Fumble...I mean Calhoun be the starter?
I wouldnt mind seeing Madu more and more.

What do you all think will happen at the RB spot for 2010?

Ground_Attack
1/12/2010, 06:09 AM
Murray will be a senior. He is supposed to come back next season.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 06:20 AM
Thats right...he was redshirted in 2006 not 2005 like I was thinking.

Okay, with that cleared up...if he decides to leave...which I doubt he will.

Even with him, who will share the load?

XingTheRubicon
1/12/2010, 08:19 AM
Good lord, just read everyone else and post less.

Jacie
1/12/2010, 08:35 AM
Murray will be a senior. He is supposed to come back next season.

Not according to this guy.

Big 12 Breakdown: Coaches provide fireworks By Olin Buchanan, Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

Underclassmen liable to leave early: Kansas WR Dezmon Briscoe (already declared), Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford (already declared), Oklahoma CB Dominique Franks (already declared), Oklahoma TE Jermaine Gresham (already declared), Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy (already declared), Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma DE Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant (already declared), Oklahoma State RB Kendall Hunter, Texas FS Earl Thomas (already declared), Texas A&M DE Von Miller.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 08:37 AM

Honestly, if you despise my posts that much...put me on ignore...But at least try being adult about things.

bmjlr
1/12/2010, 09:05 AM

Good lord, somebody needs a chill pill. Sheesh. :(

XingTheRubicon
1/12/2010, 09:11 AM
If nothing else, you're consistent. The combination of misguided confidence and infinite ignorance is entertaining if nothing else.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 09:15 AM
ignore is a great tool

What was that Rubicon?

Sooner-N-KS
1/12/2010, 09:15 AM
DM hasn't said either way, but you have to believe that everyone is telling him it would be a big mistake to leave.

To answer the question who will be the RB you need to look at the past several years. Who was the RB the last couple of years? It wasn't one guy.

I can see time being split pretty equally 3 ways between DM, Calhoun and Miller......depending on how hard they work in practice and how hot they get in the games. My guess is that in the first game we will see Murray get the first series, Calhoun get the 2nd and Miller the 3rd, but Miller may get the 2nd series if he out hustles Calhoun in the spring and summer.

OUmillenium
1/12/2010, 09:24 AM
It will be mostly Murray if he comes back next year. Stoops will reward him for coming back with lots of opportunity. The only thing that will keep him from getting the majority of plays will be injury... and he WILL NOT GET INJURED next year. Super reverse jinx enacted

rawlingsHOH
1/12/2010, 10:17 AM
Honestly, if you despise my posts that much...put me on ignore...But at least try being adult about things.

Like calling Calhoun, "Mr. Fumble"?

What does he have, 1 career fumble, in 50 carries? Yeah, that's a sufficient sample size.

gaylordfan1
1/12/2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, it will be Murray and Calhoun/Miller.... unless one of our freshman backs stand out, which I doubt. Miller was looking great but who knows how he will recover from his knee injury. Thats if Murray stays. It's kinda looking like he's leaning torwards leaving... which would be a mistake. Does anyone know when they have to declare for the NFL?

XingTheRubicon
1/12/2010, 10:27 AM

What does he have, 1 career fumble, in 50 carries? Yeah, that's a sufficient sample size.

I think he (sooner75) really is retarded.

Not the juvenile internet banter "hey you're retarded," but the "oh darlin', I think you've got oatmeal in your hair" retarded.

Read all of his posts. He is either putting us on or it's "hot water, burn baby" time.

JLEW1818
1/12/2010, 11:47 AM
Jeremy Calhoun i hope

move Murray to slot

OK2U
1/12/2010, 11:58 AM
Demarco said in one of those soonersports.com vids earlier in the year that he's really excited to see what Miller can do.
The interesting part was that he was being asked about Calhoun's progress and he kind of brushed aside the question to rave about Miller.

Sorry, don't have a link.

kevpks
1/12/2010, 12:34 PM
So I guess we'll redshirt all the freshmen RBs? It's too bad we don't have another AD-esque manbeast ready to bust into the lineup as a freshman.

rawlingsHOH
1/12/2010, 12:53 PM
So I guess we'll redshirt all the freshmen RBs? It's too bad we don't have another AD-esque manbeast ready to bust into the lineup as a freshman.
Every 20 years, at best.

sooner59
1/12/2010, 01:12 PM
Miller showed a little promise when he got in there.

I wonder if it will be 3/5 Murray, 1/5 Calhoun, 1/5 Miller.

85sooners
1/12/2010, 01:49 PM
murray for heisman:D :D

boomermagic
1/12/2010, 02:40 PM
Murray should also return kickoffs/Punts.. I know, He don't want to do that for fear of being injured but he is great at it and we should be useing him there.. The nfl will use him there.. I would have him as a return man as well as rb/slot receiver etc.. He is an all purpose guy.. Worrying about being injured is no excuse anyone can get hurt at anytime.. Broyles is doing the returning and we sure can't afford to lose him.. That ole dog won't hunt..

fossil
1/12/2010, 03:16 PM
If nothing else, you're consistent. The combination of misguided confidence and infinite ignorance is entertaining if nothing else.

:confused: Lordy mercy, who pissed in your Wheaties?

TexasSoonerdad
1/12/2010, 05:04 PM
Will Murray get a 6th year?

I wouldnt mind seeing Madu more and more.

What do you all think will happen at the RB spot for 2010?

What a stupid statement! Even though I love this message board, people like you are the reason people hate message boards. Give the kid a break and wish him a great break-out season. I bet your a real delight to be around in you everday life. Wow!

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 05:39 PM

Apparently you missed the spring game.

But hey, I understand not all of us are devote as the other.

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 05:41 PM
What a stupid statement! Even though I love this message board, people like you are the reason people hate message boards. Give the kid a break and wish him a great break-out season. I bet your a real delight to be around in you everday life. Wow!

And people like you are why this country is going down the tubes.

"OMG, he said something I disagree with. I am going to **** and moan about it and kick about."

Thanks. :pop:

OU_Sooners75
1/12/2010, 05:41 PM
:confused: Lordy mercy, who pissed in your Wheaties?

Oh it stems from when I negged him a few times. His feel bads are hurt.

goingoneight
1/12/2010, 06:12 PM
Murray should also return kickoffs/Punts.. I know, He don't want to do that for fear of being injured but he is great at it and we should be useing him there.. The nfl will use him there.. I would have him as a return man as well as rb/slot receiver etc.. He is an all purpose guy.. Worrying about being injured is no excuse anyone can get hurt at anytime.. Broyles is doing the returning and we sure can't afford to lose him.. That ole dog won't hunt..

He has no problem with it. He was advised by his family to stay on the KOR lineup, but let Franks and Madu handle it as starters.

I agree, though... he made us dynamic on kickoffs. We're below-average without him. Broyles and Murray should be there. I know guys can get hurt there, but they can get hurt under center, too. See: Sam Bradford. They can get hurt making a tackle, crossing over the middle and running into a huddle, honestly.

okiedokie
1/12/2010, 07:38 PM
Jeremy Calhoun i hope

move Murray to slot

agreed :-)

TexasSoonerdad
1/12/2010, 08:49 PM
Apparently you missed the spring game.

But hey, I understand not all of us are devote as the other.

I was at the spring game. Don't remember a fumble.

TexasSoonerdad
1/12/2010, 08:52 PM
And people like you are why this country is going down the tubes.

"OMG, he said something I disagree with. I am going to **** and moan about it and kick about."

Thanks. :pop:

They are right. You are a waste of breath.

SCxxSOONER
1/12/2010, 08:55 PM
i think calhoun showed alot of promise, he had one fumble at osu and that was it. He runs hard and hits the whole like hes shot out of a cannon plus he's big around 220, i think hell get a bulk of the carries.

jmillerfan
1/17/2010, 11:39 AM
i think calhoun showed alot of promise, he had one fumble at osu and that was it. He runs hard and hits the whole like hes shot out of a cannon plus he's big around 220, i think hell get a bulk of the carries.

no he fumbled in the kansas game as well that stopped the carries for the young guys for the rest of that blowout game. not saying he can't play just pointing out a fact...stoops was pretty hot about that fumble.

i think miller will recover pretty well from his injury i heard it was more minor surgery. I think Murray is going to get a combination of carries and plays where he pretty much doesn't come off the field I bet the young guys get in the backfield a bit more but not necessarily a lot of carries. with that being said someone pointed said murray 3/5 calhoun 1/5 miller 1/5. I can see that...it's murray's year let him make the most of it murray will make up the rest of his touches on 3rd down slot situations.

everyone rolls up to stop the third and short on murray and my lord here comes our wide receivers coming on like superstars...ummm next season's offense will be something special.

DenverSooner751
1/17/2010, 11:50 AM

There is a reason he was so special....and that reason is, animals such as him don't come around too often. He sure was fun to watch, even my wife (who is not much of a football fan) would get excited everytime he carried the ball, he was THAT good. Or maybe she got excited because she.....err, nevermind.

It seems like coming into 2009 they had some plans to develop the "Wildcat" gimmick type package around DM, but it seemed to fizzle when Sam went down against BYU because if you put Landry and DM out there at the same time, it didn't confuse anybody at all....... I would like to see them get DM involved in this manner some more, and also agree with jlew, put that guy in the slot, between him and Broyles, I can't imagine being a corner trying to put a tackle with those two coming at you.....elusive. Could be fun to watch!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/17/2010, 11:59 AM
running back by committee

KantoSooner
1/17/2010, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty happy with all our RB's and think Murray should get probably half the carries next year; but I'm officially obsessed with Calhoun. He lost the ball a few times, and too many of those were his fault (he carries the ball loose, but that can be coached away). But my lord! the way he attacks people who are trying to tackle him is something we've lacked for a while. I think some of Murray's aggression later in the season was influenced by Calhoun.
All that said this is Calhoun's year to show what he's got.

picasso
1/17/2010, 12:30 PM
Jeremy Calhoun i hope

move Murray to slot

:confused:

NYHorsepig
1/17/2010, 02:23 PM
First post but long time viewer

I love the way Miller looked before his injury. He definitely showed quickness to the hole. I think he may get more carries than many think if hes 100% healthy.
Also I expect one of the freshmen ( Clay or Finch ) to not redshirt and make an impression. I can see either one of them catching passes out of the backfield or even be used as punt/ kickoff return players

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see more of Calhoun and Miller and not so much as I think we'll see of Murray. Like someone said earlier: Bob will reward Murray for coming back -- Bob is loyal to a fault.

picasso
1/17/2010, 05:48 PM
I'd like to see more of Calhoun and Miller and not so much as I think we'll see of Murray. Like someone said earlier: Bob will reward Murray for coming back -- Bob is loyal to a fault.

Bob will reward Murray because he's better than the guys he plays in front of.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 06:15 PM

pfffft...:P

CrimsonJim
1/17/2010, 06:21 PM

Absolutely this! ^^^

It just baffles me that the haters can't see how good Demarco is. Amazing.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 08:06 PM
Absolutely this! ^^^

It just baffles me that the haters can't see how good Demarco is. Amazing.

I know right? He's Billy Sims, AD, Marcus Dupree, Greg Pruit, Little Joe, all rolled into one. :rolleyes: ;) :D

CrimsonJim
1/17/2010, 08:12 PM
You're overlooking the obvious again. Billy Sims, AD, Marcus Dupree, Greg Pruit & Little Joe couldn't have done any better behind that O-line either. :rolleyes:

Since you felt compelled to respond, guess that puts you down as one of the haters? ;) :D

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 08:21 PM
You're overlooking the obvious again. Billy Sims, AD, Marcus Dupree, Greg Pruit & Little Joe couldn't have done any better behind that O-line either. :rolleyes:

Since you felt compelled to respond, guess that puts you down as one of the haters? ;) :D

I'm not a hater at all, I just don't think Murray is as good as some of you like to think.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 08:23 PM
I've said this before, but 20 years from now we'll still be hearing stories about how if Murray hadn't been injury prone he would have been the greatest to have ever played the game.

I think he's pretty damn good, and without the injuries could have been special, but his legend is destined to grow and grow by way of some of you.

CrimsonJim
1/17/2010, 08:38 PM
If you'll go back and read the picasso's post, I was merely agreeing with him. I'm not out to create a legend, I just don't see where you or anybody else could possibly think Calhoun and Miller are better.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 08:40 PM
If you'll go back and read the picasso's post, I was merely agreeing with him. I'm not out to create a legend, I just don't see where you or anybody else could possibly think Calhoun and Miller are better.

Not yet, but I think the potential is there.

DenverSooner751
1/17/2010, 08:50 PM

Do you think that potential could be unleashed if OU would just lift weights and run sprints? Seems to work at Florida. :rolleyes:

CrimsonJim
1/17/2010, 08:52 PM

I can't argue that they have potential, but until I actually see it develop I still say Demarco is better than both of them, hands down and deserves all the playing time he receives.

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 09:13 PM
Do you think that potential could be unleashed if OU would just lift weights and run sprints? Seems to work at Florida. :rolleyes:

Ya gotta watch some film too. ;)

CrimsonJim
1/17/2010, 09:57 PM

Ya gotta watch some film too. ;)

You both forgot they have to take their vitamins too. http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:01 PM
I bought a new bottle of antioxidants last night.

I'm fixin to be really healthy!

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not a hater at all, I just don't think Murray is as good as some of you like to think.

You dont think anyone that plays or coaches for OU is as good as everyone thinks they are, in fact I dont recall you ever saying anything positive about an OU player or coach...im gonna have to check for horns under your hat next season ;)

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:03 PM
I've said this before, but 20 years from now we'll still be hearing stories about how if Murray hadn't been injury prone he would have been the greatest to have ever played the game.

I think he's pretty damn good, and without the injuries could have been special, but his legend is destined to grow and grow by way of some of you.

and despite his injuries he is going to go down as one of the top 5 or so RBs in OU history statistically

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2010, 10:04 PM
You dont think anyone that plays or coaches for OU is as good as everyone thinks they are, in fact I dont recall you ever saying anything positive about an OU player or coach...im gonna have to check for horns under your hat next season ;)

You better mean satan-horns. If you are implying longhorns, well, them's fightin' words. ;)

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:05 PM

Your mom has horns! ;)

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:05 PM
ill leave that up to CB for interpretation :D

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:06 PM
Your mom has horns! ;)

and your mom makes me horny :eek:

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:08 PM
For the record I think Sam Bradford is teh allsome, so is Jermaine Gresham, Gerald McCoy also, and some others I'm leaving out. I think Jermie Calhoun when given the chance will be as well, I think Ronnell Lewis will be a beast.

Bob is a very good coach but some of the luster is off his star, and well...we already know what I think of our two coordinators -- both good at what they do, but not near being the best.

Feel better? :D

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:12 PM
I expect nothing less from you :D

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:14 PM
Thank ya, thank ya very much!

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:19 PM
We need to drink some beer together, have some real football talks

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:21 PM
We need to drink some beer together, have some real football talks

Is that the best pickup line ya got? :D

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:21 PM
I figured it was all I needed with you

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:22 PM
I am pretty easy. :O

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:25 PM
you making any games next yr?

jmillerfan
1/17/2010, 10:25 PM
So it's Murray (who is honestly hands down is the most complete and best back we have), Miller, Calhoun, Clay and Finch

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:30 PM
you making any games next yr?

Don't know, I always have good intentions but usually end up just watching from the comfort of the recliner.

Sadly this is true despite the fact I can get in for free. :O

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:32 PM
well if you decide to make it let me know and ill buy you a beer or 38

Curly Bill
1/17/2010, 10:33 PM
well if you decide to make it let me know and ill buy you a beer or 38

Now you're twistin my arm. :P

Collier11
1/17/2010, 10:34 PM
pretty hard too

Leroy Lizard
1/17/2010, 11:06 PM

Here is what I think we should remember about all of our players. They could have played for someone else. They chose to play for OU. We should be appreciative of that fact. And so no matter how much they struggle, we should always pay them respect as long as they behave properly.

OU_Sooners75
1/18/2010, 01:54 AM
Here is what I think we should remember about all of our players. They could have played for someone else. They chose to play for OU. We should be appreciative of that fact. And so no matter how much they struggle, we should always pay them respect as long as they behave properly.

Let me put it this way. I have nothing but the utmost respect for these kids. With that said, until he can prove to hold onto the rock, Mr. Fumble will be his nickname from me.

CrimsonJim
1/18/2010, 11:29 AM
For the record I think Sam Bradford is teh allsome, so is Jermaine Gresham, Gerald McCoy also, and some others I'm leaving out. I think Jermie Calhoun when given the chance will be as well, I think Ronnell Lewis will be a beast.

I couldn't agree with you more on those two, and I'd like to add Tom Wort to that list. That kid is a heat seeking missile!!

soonerfan28
1/18/2010, 01:54 PM
I think it will be Murray and Calhoun although I could see Clay getting a shot.

MiccoMacey
1/18/2010, 04:57 PM

This.

MiccoMacey
1/18/2010, 04:58 PM
Let me put it this way. I have nothing but the utmost respect for these kids. With that said, until he can prove to hold onto the rock, Mr. Fumble will be his nickname from me.

So you have the utmost respect for people, but you call them derogatory names.

I see.

rawlingsHOH
1/18/2010, 05:32 PM

lol at the idea AD wouldn't have been more productive than Murray. His line and QB play was atrocious in 05 and he still but up big numbers. He's a freak, an all-world guy.

Murray is a very good player, huge diff

CrimsonJim
1/18/2010, 06:23 PM
I can't argue with that...too much. AD may very well have had better numbers; it wouldn't surprise me because yes, he is a freak of nature.

Having said that, he still may not have put up much better numbers in the dual running back situation we currently run (when AD was here, we didn't concentrate on splitting up the running time between 2 or more backs), because as bad as our line was in 05, it was no where as bad as the 09 version in regards to run blocking.

So, if AD had to split time with other backs like we do now...ahh, never mind - we'd never even think of doing that with AD. :D I was trying to create an apples to apples scenario, but that's just not possible with AD because he was the cream of the crop.

jmillerfan
1/18/2010, 11:23 PM
J-Miller has to be the most underrated I have seen in quite a while. Millz will be back and ready to play